Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #2401
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

As an aside, I noticed some water dripping from the belly just inboard of the dump valves. Holy @#$% batman😂. However since the above mentioned panel had not been reinstalled, i reached under and up to the fw and bw check valve connections and discovered the insulation soaked and i could put at least a half turn to both the connections. So...just a heads up. Those connections, not really able to be tightened by exterior removal, can be with some difficulty tightened from the wall cavity side...small hand really helps as it's a one finger process. Watch for sharp alu.

Now that panel comes off/on so easily, i tend to check them more often.
B

Kinda connected to my recent post above....If I ever have a reason to open this area up...BW check valve....FW connection leaking

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...irstream_Daily
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #2402
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Hello all. New to this forum page. A question about refrigerator fumes. I smell something, occasionally, that smells like exhaust fumes. It is mostly when on 12V or rally electric. Sometimes when I walk up to the front door I can smell it, sometimes inside when door is open. Is this normal? I don't see any blockage or insects. Can't get to the flue, or rather, know how. I wish the were diagrams/ schematics for the things we need to fix in our Airstreams in the manual.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #2403
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Native143 welcome to the the 20 footers thread. Lots to read and possibly learn. I know it sure helped my learning curve.

I've been thinking about this and keep coming back to the vent tube that vents the propane heat into the upper chamber on the right, then gets pulled out by the fan Mine certainly is hot when I'm on propane but I do not recall a distinctive (heat/furnace) odor either coming out of the upper door not the lower door. This system uses the top door to vent while older AS's actually (as I understand it) had a flue vent thru the roof.

It's not an electrical burning smell, correct? As I mentioned in my PM I have a friend with a 19 FC that had some mild charring on the Alu foil covering on the insulation adjacent to the top of the vent tube and he was scheduling the dealer under warranty. I never did hear the why.

Maybe someone else has some experience. Let us know what you find out.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
Hello all. New to this forum page. A question about refrigerator fumes. I smell something, occasionally, that smells like exhaust fumes. It is mostly when on 12V or rally electric. Sometimes when I walk up to the front door I can smell it, sometimes inside when door is open. Is this normal? I don't see any blockage or insects. Can't get to the flue, or rather, know how. I wish the were diagrams/ schematics for the things we need to fix in our Airstreams in the manual.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #2404
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
It's a sign (s)...

Caught the sam wainright line last night in it's a wonderful life.
"...Florida...HeeHaw"

Then downloaded this morning, the recent campendium "top campgrounds this week" featuring a 20 FC at big pine key, florida keys.

The signs are coming fast and furious. Can't wait for our "Florida HeeHaw 2019 tour"

Certainly our longest trip so far.

Bob
Old 12-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #2405
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob, please let us know your route and timing, so that we can look "further on down the road" for weather and other advisories. Maybe a new thread?

As I imagine you have noticed, the Midwest has been having some severe winter issues, suggesting that a very southern route is advisable IMO.

Our mid-90's NYC-San Diego-Napa-NYC winter round trip forced us south to El Paso on I-10, but we still had to do a hasty winterization on the road in a storm. No fun . . .

As a welder told us in Abilene about Texas weather, "If you don't like the weather today, come back tomorrow because it will probably be totally different." ["welder" ---> We also had hitch problems . . . ]

Still . . . we had a great trip all in all . . . Key West is amazing . . . Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 AM   #2406
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Quote:
Caught the sam wainright line last night in it's a wonderful life.
"...Florida...HeeHaw"

Then downloaded this morning, the recent campendium "top campgrounds this week" featuring a 20 FC at big pine key, florida keys.

The signs are coming fast and furious. Can't wait for our "Florida HeeHaw 2019 tour"

Certainly our longest trip so far.

Bob

That was mine Bob. Hope you have a great time in the Keys , One of my favorite places even though I live here in Florida.
Judy
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Old 12-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #2407
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Judy, adding to Bob’s details about the fridge flue etc., is it possible that you are smelling ammonia? If so, the fridge may be leaking the cooling agent. That happened to our 25’ years ago.

If you could recreate the problem with more specific details, that might help. For instance, does it happen on 120-volt shore power, or just when using the propane-fired cooling system? Or both maybe?

Is it possible that you are smelling a cooling fan going bad? Check the owner’s manual, because you should have a switch just inside the main entry door to turn that fan on/off. If you open the top exterior door to the fridge’s mechanical space, you might get a better sense of things IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #2408
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bob, please let us know your route and timing, so that we can look "further on down the road" for weather and other advisories. Maybe a new thread?

As I imagine you have noticed, the Midwest has been having some severe winter issues, suggesting that a very southern route is advisable IMO.

Our mid-90's NYC-San Diego-Napa-NYC winter round trip forced us south to El Paso on I-10, but we still had to do a hasty winterization on the road in a storm. No fun . . .

As a welder told us in Abilene about Texas weather, "If you don't like the weather today, come back tomorrow because it will probably be totally different." ["welder" ---> We also had hitch problems . . . ]

Still . . . we had a great trip all in all . . . Key West is amazing . . . Happy Trails!

Peter
will do. Mid West...what me worry??? In eug it's supposed to be 25 @ -1 ETD and 28 on the eve of ETD...Holy %$#@ batman, I may not even be able to fill the tubes and pressure up before assaulting SB Siskyou pass This isn't Napa...it only frosts there...generally... and they just have to get the irrigation going, I have to drain the lines and fire the furnace

I hear ya tho, I have been tracking Tx (Mikentosh WB I-10....holed up...TX rain and lightening)...not sure how to go further S on the EB tour than I-10...oh that's right the wall isn't built yet However I keep the 12VDC inflator handy and accessible in the TV. Been watching NM and all their snow as of late...first hurdle Siskyou...may have to stay over in Pho...tough duty but we're volunteering. KW resies are still a month out. May have to throw in the clubs in addition to the ah so or blender...still totally overboard anxious on KW. We have 3 months with the caveat... our only resies are KW.

What the heck, earlier this year (Mar) we dodged a tornado warning across from Graceland (yes pelvis was in the area apparently), a Ky snow diversion... snow in Santa Fe....and sun in Flagstaff! Like they say...weather...just wait a few hours...days.

Florida! HeeHaw!

Further...

b
Old 12-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #2409
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Peter, it is only on propane. I just went inside after A couple hours drive and I can smell it. So next step is to check that flue. It smells like exhaust not ammonia.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Save
Old 12-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #2410
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
20-footers

May want to take a look at the seal between the refrigerator sides and the space it is in. Also make sure the burner is a clean blue flame. If it’s looking yellow it may need the flue cleaned and the burner air shutter adjustment checked.

If the fridge has a roof vent there may be something blocking it. Should not be able to smell combustion odors inside the cabin!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #2411
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Judy, I think rmkrum is on to something re the flame color and the flue being clear all the way up. The 20's don't vent thru the roof but utilize an upper vent door with a fan assist. Those daubers and spiders can be pesky. I put in a fresh flea collar in the compartment twice a year to keep them away. As an aside, ditto the hwh compartment.

How about refer's efficiency and the fan running when it is supposed to. I often open the top refer to improve air flow and the fan cycles off in a few minutes. I also swapped out the oem fan or a quieter and higher CFM fan. Keep us apprised.

Happy trails
Bob
Old 12-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #2412
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I have looked at the flue. Nothing to see. Looks good and clean to me. Never have seen/found a flame It must be hidden. The refrigerator runs cold and very efficiently. It’s only that strange exhaust smell occasionally. I’ll open up the vent from now on whenever I’m parked and running on propane. See if that makes a difference. thanks for your input .
Judy
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Save
Old 12-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #2413
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Look at filling the gap between the sides and top of the fridge box and the cabinet it is mounted in with closed cell rubber insulation like black foam pipe wrap. That will keep the fumes out of your living space.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #2414
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Cocoa Beach , Florida
20 Ft Bike Rack Questions

Good afternoon,
As a relative newbie, I appreciate the knowledge I have acquired from the A.S. crew. I own a 2015 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost with an ARE fiberglass tonneau and have a 2016 20 ft. Flying Cloud with an Equilizer WDH. I have been reading and researching how to carry two mountain bikes weighing a total of 63 lbs. As we prepare for our first post retirement long trip I will list multiple options with questions.

1. Front truck mounted rack:
Pros - can use the hitch to carry on back truck hitch when traveling to trailhead, and expense neutral.
Cons - I'm fearful of blocking the headlights, and scratching the paint and will have very dirty bikes when on the road.

2. Truck roof racks:
Pros - Out of the way, easy transport to trailhead, expense neutral.
Cons - truck roof very high and would need ladder, and require strength and agility, and roof could be a future site for kayaks.

3. Tonneau cover:
Pros - could carry bikes within view, remove at campsite and lock to A.S. bumper.
Cons - need to constantly get into truck bed for campsite / A.S. supplies (cooler, firewood, etc) and extra $$ to modify top to install and accommodate rack rails.

4.Fiamma rear rack:
Pros - Supported by A.S., convenient to quickly mount bikes, matches aluminum appearance.
Cons: Close to exceeding weight limit of 70 lbs., cannot visualize bicycles, not sure if it blocks rear access to bumper storage (any input?), prefer not to penetrate A.S. shell, cost to purchase and install via dealer approximately $800, and would require an additional rack to transport bikes to trailhead.
Pros - Supported by A.S., convenient to quickly mount bikes, matches aluminum appearance.

5. Arvika bike rack:
Pros - Will sit above propane make specifically for A.S.'s, support bike weight, cost estimated at $800, can purchase adaptor for truck hitch, can visualize bikes.
Cons - Not sure if i can access propane tanks (any input?), not sure if can access battery box for battery removal / charging when storing A.S. (any input), requires some lifting of bikes, videos seems to show some concerning forward and lateral movement, limited opening of front window, added approximately 150 lbs to A frame.

6. Stromberg frame for rack:
Pros - Very well constructed, can select own bike rack which would be the OneUp USA (weighs 46 lbs minimal profile) or the Yakima Dr. Tray (weighs 34 lbs.) (both are very well constructed tray carriers), can visualize bikes, use selected rack for transport to trailhead, easy to remove carrier from Stromberg frame.
Cons - Not sure if i can access propane tanks (any input?), not sure if can access battery box for battery removal / charging when storing A.S. (any input), requires some lifting of bikes, limited opening of front window, added approximately 150 lbs to A frame, current Stromberg model is 2'' too low and waiting for longer model.

Ideally, I would like to pursue option 6. If I choose options for over the propane tank (#5 & #6) carriers or the rear Fiamma carrier (#4)as third option. I believe I will need to readjust my weight distribution hitch with #'s 4,5,& 6? I did research to evaluate folding mountain bikes, very nice options but costly, and we are comfortable on our current rides.

Finally, I apologize for the lengthly post and realize this is a challenge for A.S.owners, but want to be certain we are headed in the right direction and well prepare for journey. any advise or input is greatly appreciated.

Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #2415
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Option 7 - put a camper top on the truck and keep them out of the weather - I have nice bikes and when traveling with them outside they get pretty cruded up
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #2416
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Florida! HeeHaw!

Further...

b
Just noticed the weather you guys are about to get whacked with, there on the other coast. Yikes!

Happy Trails . . .

Peter
Old 01-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #2417
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
. . .
Finally, I apologize for the lengthly post and realize this is a challenge for A.S.owners, but want to be certain we are headed in the right direction and well prepare for journey. any advise or input is greatly appreciated.

Skip
Welcome to the 20-footer thread, Skip!

Although some folks here might have model-specific feedback for you, IMO you would find a wider audience, and better general advice, in another sub-forum IMO. Sorry . . . no bike experience here.

FYI the new search function in the blue box above works great [if you are on the desktop version of the AF site]. Here are the results for "Fiamma" -- just to get the ball rolling:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fiam...=airforums.com

Another search, which will bring up various options being discussed, is here IMO:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...=airforums.com

As you can see, the posts in the search results appear in a variety of sub-forums. This Hitches etc. sub-forum may be a good place to check out some leads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/

Good luck,

Peter

FYI and FWIW
Old 01-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #2418
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
Good afternoon,
As a relative newbie, I appreciate the knowledge I have acquired from the A.S. crew. I own a 2015 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost with an ARE fiberglass tonneau and have a 2016 20 ft. Flying Cloud with an Equilizer WDH. I have been reading and researching how to carry two mountain bikes weighing a total of 63 lbs. As we prepare for our first post retirement long trip I will list multiple options with questions.

1. Front truck mounted rack:
Pros - can use the hitch to carry on back truck hitch when traveling to trailhead, and expense neutral.
Cons - I'm fearful of blocking the headlights, and scratching the paint and will have very dirty bikes when on the road.

2. Truck roof racks:
Pros - Out of the way, easy transport to trailhead, expense neutral.
Cons - truck roof very high and would need ladder, and require strength and agility, and roof could be a future site for kayaks.

3. Tonneau cover:
Pros - could carry bikes within view, remove at campsite and lock to A.S. bumper.
Cons - need to constantly get into truck bed for campsite / A.S. supplies (cooler, firewood, etc) and extra $$ to modify top to install and accommodate rack rails.

4.Fiamma rear rack:
Cons: Close to exceeding weight limit of 70 lbs., cannot visualize bicycles, not sure if it blocks rear access to bumper storage (any input?), prefer not to penetrate A.S. shell, cost to purchase and install via dealer approximately $800, and would require an additional rack to transport bikes to trailhead.

5. Arvika bike rack:
Pros - Will sit above propane make specifically for A.S.'s, support bike weight, cost estimated at $800, can purchase adaptor for truck hitch, can visualize bikes.
Cons - Not sure if i can access propane tanks (any input?), not sure if can access battery box for battery removal / charging when storing A.S. (any input), requires some lifting of bikes, videos seems to show some concerning forward and lateral movement, limited opening of front window, added approximately 150 lbs to A frame.

6. Stromberg frame for rack:
Pros - Very well constructed, can select own bike rack which would be the OneUp USA (weighs 46 lbs minimal profile) or the Yakima Dr. Tray (weighs 34 lbs.) (both are very well constructed tray carriers), can visualize bikes, use selected rack for transport to trailhead, easy to remove carrier from Stromberg frame.
Cons - Not sure if i can access propane tanks (any input?), not sure if can access battery box for battery removal / charging when storing A.S. (any input), requires some lifting of bikes, limited opening of front window, added approximately 150 lbs to A frame, current Stromberg model is 2'' too low and waiting for longer model.

Ideally, I would like to pursue option 6. If I choose options for over the propane tank (#5 & #6) carriers or the rear Fiamma carrier (#4)as third option. I believe I will need to readjust my weight distribution hitch with #'s 4,5,& 6? I did research to evaluate folding mountain bikes, very nice options but costly, and we are comfortable on our current rides.

Skip
7. Hitch mount (kinda 1A). During trailer travels, bikes ride in trailer, upon arrival move to hitch carrier. This way they arrive clean and in the event you do an travel/overnight somewhere you can secure them on the rack if they are in the way inside trailer. Mentally this may seem like a lot of work, but after doing it a few times it's pretty easy.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #2419
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Bike racks

Skip,
We are happy with our Fiamma bike rack (Option 4), which we have had since 2015. We have gone cross-country and back twice with 2 road bikes on. We are able to access the back storage when bikes are on it (to pull out hoses). The only difficulty is if you kept your bikes on but wanted to pour water into the fresh water tank from a container (when boondocking longer than a weekend in the same spot, for example). We rigged a water pump with two aquarium hoses, one drawing from the container, the other into the tank, the power coming from our Goal Zero. We use this now even when bikes are off. Before that we used a funnel with a long hose gorilla-taped on, but it took two people, one to hold the funnel in. A nice plus for the Fiamma bike rack is that the upper rotating bike holder makes a great prop when you want to open the window over the sink for cross ventilation when the bikes are off, or if bikes are on, just use a prop in between. We actually do this a lot. When the bikes are off, we use the bike rack to dry towels, etc. The only con is needing to bring a bike rack for your tow vehicle if you are camping in one spot for while, but need to drive to where you want to ride, but we rarely do this because I plan ahead and consider rides when I choose a campsite.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #2420
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin Raven View Post
. . .
. . . the power coming from our Goal Zero.
. . .
. . . A nice plus for the Fiamma bike rack is that the upper rotating bike holder makes a great prop when you want to open the window over the sink for cross ventilation . . .
. . .
Thanks for the good tips! Which Goal Zero do you have, and have you rigged up some way of charging it in the tow vehicle while driving? A 120-volt inverter feed maybe, or 12-volt you invented?

Great tip for keeping the galley window open. When weather permits, we just remove it for the best air flow. It is very simple to do this.

Thanks again,

Peter

PS -- Goal Zero threads FYI incl. some "invented" 12-volt charging info somewhere in one of them:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-a-177828.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...co-163149.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ss-183970.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...er-189932.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-a-178647.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ve-168108.html