Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #2001
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Taking a short trip to have the brakes adjusted, and see some of upstate NY. Ferry ride across LI Sound. Parked next to a friend's barn. Great to be OTRA!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- sorry for the rotated ferry photo. Using phone aarrggghhhh . . .

PS2 -- nice even post number -- 2k
Nice, going up the country....OTRA...Home sweet home

My... you keep a clean roof

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #2002
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Just wanted to update everyone. It rained a lot last weekend and we have been preoccupied with finding out how family in Puerto Rico is doing, so, didn't get to changing out the propane regulator until today. It was a quick 10 minute job and seems to have fixed the problem. The propane is flowing freely again. I turned on the stove, oven, furnace and water heater to test out the system and everything is working fine.

Going camping in the mountains this weekend and it will be nice to have the system working well again so we can stay warm.
Steve sending positive vibes that they are healthy & safe.

bob
Old 09-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #2003
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Same from me Steve. Hope everything turns out fine.
Have a great time Otra
Old 09-28-2017, 12:35 AM   #2004
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
My... you keep a clean roof

b

Yeah I figured I would save the ladder work for you . . .

The trailer lives under a huge tree. Actually I am surprised it was this clean!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:41 AM   #2005
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks Bob and Peter...I posted on the Maria thread as well.

We did hear from them two days ago, via an email. There are four houses in the family on the same little mountain in Puerto Rico...beautiful place. Three of the houses are ok. One lost part of it's roof but everyone is safe and hunkered down. We are hoping for some cell phone service soon so that we can communicate more. We are so relieved and grateful that our bunch is safe. There are lots of folks suffering in Puerto Rico right now....please everyone, pray for relief soon.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #2006
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great news Steve, thanks! I first visited western PR in the late 60's to surf. An amazing place . . .

PS -- -- hard to imagine that was almost 50 years ago . . .
Old 09-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #2007
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Peter... Which ferry did you take across? Any clearance issues getting on or off the ferry?
Old 09-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #2008
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This time, the Port Jeff ferry to Bridgeport. When we head to New England, we usually take the Orient Point ferry to New London CT. No clearance issues on either, as they are often carrying semi trailers and large commercial box trucks. Reservations are highly recommended.

$158 one way for van and FC20 with total length just under 40' .

Even if we are heading south, we usually take the Port Jeff ferry to Bridgeport, 95S, then 287 west across the Tappan Zee to the Garden State Parkway.

Tried the BQE to Verrazano Br, then across Staten Island, once -- never again!

Cost of ferry and extra miles easily beats the risks of the more direct BQE [and 95] route IMO. Our vacation starts in our driveway, with stress and risk left at home as much as possible!

Are you heading out soon, James?

PS -- Been out to Hither Hills much? We got in a couple of trips this year so far. All very last-minute off the waiting list. How is the 23' working out? I forget, 23D or 23FB?
Old 09-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #2009
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
Yeah, heading up to Kring Point State Park on Sunday. Can't wait!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #2010
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quick reply! Please see my post as edited.

Edit -- had the wrong park before -- OK Kring Point!

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/14/details.aspx

Looks great, have fun!

Peter
Old 09-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #2011
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
Haha, yeah I have the app on my phone. Yes, we did a full week in July at Hither Hills and a weekend in June. Loving the 23FB. Perfect for 2.
This is our first trip to Kring. Stopping off at Chenango Valley SP for a night on the way up also to break up the trip.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #2012
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

Yeah I figured I would save the ladder work for you . . .

The trailer lives under a huge tree. Actually I am surprised it was this clean!

Peter
since this is my limit ( and often with a spotter)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Basi...tool/926661559

I guess it good that I have looooong arms
Old 09-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #2013
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Taking a short trip to have the brakes adjusted, and see some of upstate NY. Ferry ride across LI Sound. Parked next to a friend's barn. Great to be OTRA!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- sorry for the rotated ferry photo. Using phone aarrggghhhh . . .

PS2 -- nice even post number -- 2k

Peter, I understood from the dealer that the brakes were self adjusting (back up & brake to self adjust)

Can you elaborate?

Bob
Old 09-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #2014
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The brakes are not grabbing like they used to with the old van, even with the OEM controller maxed out at 10. Our AS mechanic says a computer adjustment may be needed, even though the Ford dealer says there is none. Have an appt. next Tuesday, while I check out the FDR Home in nearby Hyde Park, including his Top Cottage:

https://www.nps.gov/hofr/planyourvisit/top-cottage.htm
Old 09-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #2015
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
. . . Stopping off at Chenango Valley SP for a night on the way up also to break up the trip.
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/41/details.aspx

Looks nice, please give us a review of both parks when you get back.

Peter
Old 09-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #2016
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
The brakes are not grabbing like they used to with the old van, even with the OEM controller maxed out at 10. Our AS mechanic says a computer adjustment may be needed, even though the Ford dealer says there is none. Have an appt. next Tuesday, while I check out the FDR Home in nearby Hyde Park, including his Top Cottage:

https://www.nps.gov/hofr/planyourvisit/top-cottage.htm
Gotchya, the TV's controller

have a great trip. Chenango Valley SP looks nice. Never been upstate but plan to eventually.

have a great grip.

bob
Old 10-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #2017
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI Bob, our AS mechanic confirmed that the trailer's electrical system is correctly applying 12 volts to the brakes, and that the operation all looks right. He did suggest, however, that the new Ford Transit's brake controller computer may have some kind of internal limitation, which prevents locking up the trailer brakes. I have a call into the Ford dealer about this.

The mechanic did adjust the brakes manually one click "tighter" than the auto-adjust system has done recently. His logic was that our brakes are still relatively new, and thus the brake pads and drums still have to wear-in a bit. Only about 2000 miles so far.

Sorry about the Napa etc. fires. I hope your Bay Area family and friends are OK.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Any new trips under your belt?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:45 AM   #2018
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- To follow up on a discussion from last year -- The mechanic took detailed measurements for swapping in some small operable windows in the bath, and at the kitchen counter next to the fridge, and determined that Airstream does not supply windows small enough for these locations. [either the awning style hinged-on-top units to match the FC20, or the Hehr windows with the small sliding glass sash over the screened opening]
Old 10-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #2019
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
FYI Bob, our AS mechanic confirmed that the trailer's electrical system is correctly applying 12 volts to the brakes, and that the operation all looks right. He did suggest, however, that the new Ford Transit's brake controller computer may have some kind of internal limitation, which prevents locking up the trailer brakes. I have a call into the Ford dealer about this.

The mechanic did adjust the brakes manually one click "tighter" than the auto-adjust system has done recently. His logic was that our brakes are still relatively new, and thus the brake pads and drums still have to wear-in a bit. Only about 2000 miles so far.

Sorry about the Napa etc. fires. I hope your Bay Area family and friends are OK.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Any new trips under your belt?
Peter, gotta love the technology. Interesting the earlier Transit doesn't have the same issues.

We're in Pendleton today. D1 Maryhill, WA, Leavenworth, WA, Lake Chelan WA, Omak WA (Okanagon), Grand Coulee Dam then on to Coeur d'Arlene/Sand Pointe or 3 days. Trying to decide whether to make it into Wallowa Lake, OR Talked to SP today and they've shut off the water and there is snow in the valley. Cabbage Hill/Deadman Pass (I84) is clear, but we didn't really plan clothes for snow, so may peel off and head back via 84 to PDX or maybe John Day to Sisters.. Some snow in the passes between here & Sisters so the Camp Sherman stay is in Jeopardy.

Pics etc to follow. This is the first workable wifi in 10 days.

Thanks for the Sonoma/Napa thoughts. Buddy in Anguin (midway & E of of Rutherford & Calistoga) is safe, but anything can happen. Other friends W of 101 in SR/Sebastapol are safe too. Very scary. Apparently the frost irrigation the vineyards has been very helpful in holding the fire lines.

Bob

p.s. This has been an amazing trip. Having lived in Sonoma County and often visited Napa during the crush I was used to seeing the fruit hanging and all the pickers/trucks...but the apple presence E of Wenatache has been incredible. I've never seen so much fruit waiting for harvest.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #2020
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Camano Island , Washington
Bob sounds like you have a great trip planned. Hope the weather holds. Just got back from a quick 2 night trip to Fort Casey on Whidbey Island. If you are staying in the Lake Chelan are for a few days be sure to try some of their local wines. A great view of the lake from Benson Cellars and the wine is not bad either. There are a number of nice campgrounds close to Chelan. It is one of our favorite areas in the spring and fall.
Camano20 is offline   Reply With Quote