Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Tommy Bahama Special Editions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
Sanity Check on the Tommy Bahama 27FB

I am not a Parrot Head, nor do I have any interest in wasting away in Margaritaville. I'm not judging - it's just not for me and my wife.

I've seen a number of rather positive reviews or comments on the styling of the Airstream Tommy Bahama 27FB. I like a lot about it, but I can't get behind the logoing or the decor in the bathroom or bedroom. My wife and I agree that it is on the verge of hideous.

I'd honestly feel a bit silly parking this thing in any national park, but I'll admit it would fit right in at any coastal spot. It just doesn't feel like a "camper".

It may be that we are disappointed that now we are finally ready to buy an Aistream, and the two we seem to turning to every time we look online (the 2016 Pendleton and the 2016 Eddie Bauer 27FB) are discontinued and very difficult to find.

So, my question to the forums: are we the only ones that aren't on board with the Tommy Bahama decor?

I know it's just a matter of time until Airstream unveils a new limited or special edition that is more "camping" themed, and we'll likely find a 2016 Pendleton or 2016 Eddie Bauer 27FB this season if I keep looking, but I'm impatient.

/end dramatic rant
marcesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Buy the floor plan you like and then make it your own by changing the decor.

The Pendleton and tommy Bahamas's are nice Airstream's but not everyone's cup of tea...that's why they make so many different models and colors. I don't think it's right to trash someone else's choice just because I you don't like the design.

Like ice cream...choose the flavor you like and add your choice of toppings!

I personally like all the different Airstream's they make. Love seeing different ideas and decor. What a boring world if we all had the same taste.

Get what makes you feel good and smile...but be sure you allow others to do the same.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Buy the floor plan you like and then make it your own by changing the decor.

The Pendleton and tommy Bahamas's are nice Airstream's but not everyone's cup of tea...that's why they make so many different models and colors. I don't think it's right to trash someone else's choice just because I you don't like the design.

Like ice cream...choose the flavor you like and add your choice of toppings!

I personally like all the different Airstream's they make. Love seeing different ideas and decor. What a boring world if we all had the same taste.

Get what makes you feel good and smile...but be sure you allow others to do the same.

You took his post out of context. They weren't trashing other's opinions nor was the post hinting at not allowing other to have one.

It's perfectly fine to ask if others think Airstream missed the mark on the Tommy Bahama.
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabney0315 View Post
You took his post out of context. They weren't trashing other's opinions nor was the post hinting at not allowing other to have one.

It's perfectly fine to ask if others think Airstream missed the mark on the Tommy Bahama.
Sorry but I did understand...he doesn't like the Tommy Bahama.

Different stokes for different folks...but you don't need to start a thread about someone else's Airstream choice. What about the people who purchased one? Think they appreciate a thread asking what he did?

I know he wasn't bashing and just curious if others felt the Tommy Bahama was too far out there for a camping trailer. I must admit I agree.

Sorry to OP if what I said seemed harsher than intended...and hope they find just the right Airstream for them. Lots to choose from and all have good and bad. We have had 5 Airstream's now and enjoyed them all for different reasons.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Personally, I like it. Reminds me of the ocean breeze model they had back in 2008/2009. I like the bar, etc.. but that's just me. Agree that you can really change the look of any given airstream with appointments and some light modifications here and there... that's the beauty of these trailers - something for everyone with the ability to personalize
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
It's not for me, I don't think it's hideous, but I'm not really about the Tommy Bahama lifestyle, so this does not appeal to me. I just bought a new trailer and would have gone with a national park or camping theme if they had it in a smaller one. That is more inline with my tastes.

I like them all as well, but some just don't hit the spot for me and I wouldn't buy it. The TB is one of those I would never buy.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I'd be all over one of those.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
I just walked through one of these the other day and even though there is A LOT going on with the decor, especially in the bathroom, that rear hatch would be very, very nice to have. I'm guessing dealerships are not coming down 20-25% off MSRP though as there are a limited number of units produced and I'm sure they will sell out. If not for the rear hatch, the bar area alone! It's not my cup of tea, I went with the flying cloud but keep the search alive and I'm sure something will pop up.
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEA PA View Post
I just walked through one of these the other day and even though there is A LOT going on with the decor, especially in the bathroom, that rear hatch would be very, very nice to have. I'm guessing dealerships are not coming down 20-25% off MSRP though as there are a limited number of units produced and I'm sure they will sell out. If not for the rear hatch, the bar area alone! It's not my cup of tea, I went with the flying cloud but keep the search alive and I'm sure something will pop up.

Agreed on the price/deal. We looked at one when we bought our 26U last month and the dealer was very upfront that he wouldn't be able to make the deal on the Tommy Bahama that he was on the 26U. They believed they could get near MSRP for it.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
Thank you all for the comments - it seems like a mixed bag of opinions as I expected.

There are lots to like about it - the bar is awesome and I love the floor and the wood looks throughout. The hatch is great but I'm trying to figure out if we'd actually use it - I'd like to think we would but who knows.

I agree with the prior comment regarding the importance of the floorplan, but I disagree that I should suppress my opinion and not ask others for theirs on any concern regarding the manufacturer. There should be open and candid conversations here, and no one should be offended because I don't like (and my wife especially doesn't like) green Tommy Bahama printed walls or comforters.

We're going to keep hunting - looks like 2018 Tommy Bahamas are being ordered and we're planning to buy in the Fall, and try to see as many different options this summer as we can. I'm looking forward to some Fall and Winter camping and hiking.

Happy campn' y'all.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwkersh View Post
Agreed on the price/deal. We looked at one when we bought our 26U last month and the dealer was very upfront that he wouldn't be able to make the deal on the Tommy Bahama that he was on the 26U. They believed they could get near MSRP for it.
These are great points - I haven't gone the distance on getting quotes from my dealer - it's a huge price difference.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I just looked. They sold the one we looked at in March. It would be nice to see what they actually sold it for.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Some people like to take the Beach with them were ever they go, PARTY TIME.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
I won't really say what I think of this tread but if its a Airstream I love them dam that's why I have one.....
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcesq View Post
I am not a Parrot Head, nor do I have any interest in wasting away in Margaritaville. I'm not judging - it's just not for me and my wife.

I've seen a number of rather positive reviews or comments on the styling of the Airstream Tommy Bahama 27FB. I like a lot about it, but I can't get behind the logoing or the decor in the bathroom or bedroom. My wife and I agree that it is on the verge of hideous.

I'd honestly feel a bit silly parking this thing in any national park, but I'll admit it would fit right in at any coastal spot. It just doesn't feel like a "camper".

It may be that we are disappointed that now we are finally ready to buy an Aistream, and the two we seem to turning to every time we look online (the 2016 Pendleton and the 2016 Eddie Bauer 27FB) are discontinued and very difficult to find.

So, my question to the forums: are we the only ones that aren't on board with the Tommy Bahama decor?

I know it's just a matter of time until Airstream unveils a new limited or special edition that is more "camping" themed, and we'll likely find a 2016 Pendleton or 2016 Eddie Bauer 27FB this season if I keep looking, but I'm impatient.

/end dramatic rant
Hi there we have a 2015 27' FB. Flying cloud. We love it. We looked at all other " Themed" units, why waste the $$ on the upgrade, just for some god awful interior design. Although we did like the Pendleton, not the interior mind you looks like a bad Indian blanket. But the fact that the back opened up.
Now ya want to know how I really feel?
The interior of the Flying cloud is classy as well as classic. Stick with the classic.
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
Some people like to take the Beach with them were ever they go, PARTY TIME.

I love the TB but I think its a boozers trailer :-).
I wouldn't know what to do with all the bottle racks.
I guess we could use them for shoes and flip flops.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunyFarm View Post
Hi there we have a 2015 27' FB. Flying cloud. We love it. We looked at all other " Themed" units, why waste the $$ on the upgrade, just for some god awful interior design. Although we did like the Pendleton, not the interior mind you looks like a bad Indian blanket. But the fact that the back opened up.
Now ya want to know how I really feel?
The interior of the Flying cloud is classy as well as classic. Stick with the classic.
This is precisely the sort of opinion that I was looking for
Thank you! I think we need encouragement to move towards the "get what we need" mentality with the floorplan, and I've been looking at a number of the 27' FB Flying Clouds. It seems our money would go a bit further with these (especially used), even if the wife goes to town buying whatever from pendleton's website.

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Parts of the TB we like, others we think they missed the mark--especially the bedroom decor. TB has other fabric that's a bit more tasteful while giving same feel, in our opinion.

We're beach people--our 2009 Ocean Breeze is perfect for us. After 7 5-month seasons, fabric was getting a bit tired and we were sad to hear that Airstream had not stocked any and manufacturers had all discontinued. So we did a "new" Ocean Breeze interior look and have received a lot of compliments so far!

We know that we would never use the rear hatch, and in the Eddie Bauer that our friends have, we didn't care for what seemed to us to be a downgrade in some of the furniture. With the premium price charged, you really could do a full (fabric and window treatments) remodel of the inside of any other coach to your specific taste. But I wouldn't--buy a beautiful new one closest to your taste, and wait until your fabric gets "tired" down the line and you've also lived with ot for a while. Then it makes sense to spend some if the bucks you saved by not gettting the TB and get a whole "new" coach several years from now.

The advice to spend some considerable time pre-"living in" different floor plans is great advice.

All of the AS's are beautiful in different ways!

Avoid factory solar and do aftermarket--start by talking to your dealer service department about what they would do and reading solar threads in the forum to see what people advise for your planned lifestyle. Then contact Lewster through the forums for the install. He is terrific.

Have fun, and let us know what you decide!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #19
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Everyone has their tastes and hot buttons. I have friends with an Ocean Breeze from 10 or so years ago, cool trailer but not my cup of tea with the bamboo-looking drawer pulls, the tropical decor, etc. They have loved it, and to be honest, yep they like to party, both originally from south Florida. And they love the new TB decors, and the bar, which is not surprising.

I don't dig the colors in the TB, I prefer a cleaner, more understated look with as much beautiful shiny aluminum showing as possible. But I also don't care for the white starkness (to me!) of the Signatures upper cabinetry, or the sliding translucent cabinet doors. I chose the Flying Cloud, on my second one now in less than two years, both bought used just 3 years old but like new--saved a ton on both and though no warranty, they had both had their shake downs. I like the color of the wood cabinetry throughout, the solid upper cabinet doors that hide all the 'stuff', I just find it to be a classic, clean, look. But I know others find the Flying Cloud decor to be a non-starter.

I prefer the Pendleton to the TB, but even then I'm just not a fan of the 'themed' interiors, including the 'map' motif of the Pendleton. To me, just a little kitschy.

The rear-opening door on those models I think seem really cool at first, I mean come on--those pics of people sitting at the dinette looking out at a glorious mountain. What's not to like? But then when thinking critically, I don't really get it. If it's nice enough to open it up, I'd likely be outside anyway. The standard AS's have plenty of Panoramic windows, which they are known for. I just don't really get the point of why/when you'd need the whole end of the trailer wide open, and there are some negatives...more places/seals to leak, moving parts, bugs, dirt, wind, etc, without any real benefit except the initial wow factor. Again...just me!

Love my FC 23 and no regrets. To me, it has kind of a clean European feel to it with the light wood color.

Those with other models love theirs, for their reasons, as well. Glad there is something for all of us, including the completely personalized older ones!

Yours is out there!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Special Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcesq View Post

/end dramatic rant
Airstream has offered a number of "Special Editons" over the years. The Eddie Bauer's were offered over a number of years and others were made in very limited runs like the Pendleton (100 numbered units). They only built 18, 2009 Panamerica toy haulers, for example. Others include the Victorinox 125th year anniversary edition, the Norman Rockwell Edition to name a few that I'm familiar with.
I personally like the Tommy Bahama but one could choose a gently used trailer and decorate it to one's own preferences. We bought a Pendleton and although I don't regret it, we could have done basically the same thing with an EB.
We have friends that did an amazing job with a new 30 foot FC. My only regret is not having enough free time to be on the road more often!!!
MarkFinATX is offline   Reply With Quote