Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Unhappy Heat/AC Zones?

We have a 2018 Tommy 27FB with the Dometic programmable heat & AC controls. The programs can be tailored to separately control two zones ("Zone "1 and "Zone 2").

MAIN Question: Where is "Zone 1"? Front or Rear? - where Front is nearest the hitch - and bedroom.

And..s'more Qs: Is your Dometic 'owner's manual' as intuitive (not) as mine? Will this controller honor 115V input (as long as it doesn't try to run both A/Cs at the same time)? i.e. Can I run one zone heat pump with 115V in - or will I destroy something? I've winterized it (blew it out and ran some AF through it's veins and am using a small portable heater for some 'insurance against freezing.) Ya...I know...I'm in SW NM where freezing for any length of time just doesn't happen but, with the latest, crazy climate changes - who knows.

I'm going to get a 50A circuit run at home base but, I want to wait until the holidays are bye-bye.

TIA

BTW - BEST OF HOLIDAY CHEER TO YOU & YOURS!!!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeydog View Post
MAIN Question: Where is "Zone 1"? Front or Rear? - where Front is nearest the hitch - and bedroom.
In both of my RV's zone 1 was towards the front.
Quote:
Will this controller honor 115V input (as long as it doesn't try to run both A/Cs at the same time)?
All power in a normal RV is 115-120v. The difference is in the current measured in Amps. So if you want to run one A/C you may do so with 30 amp service, two A/C's require more current, so they get 50 amp service. In both cases, they are 115 v.
50 amp service gives you TWO feeds of 50 amps at 115v., while 30 amp service gives you ONE feed of 30 amps at 115v.
Adding 50 amps is a big deal, because it changes so much in the wiring, not just the connectors.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi journeydog. We have a 27 FB Eddie Bauer with dual ACs and a very similar layout, and zone 2 is in the front, where the AC control is. And just a heads up - you may find that zone 1, which reads ambient temperature from the AC control, accurately measures room temperature, while zone 2, which measures ambient from a sensor located on the fridge wall behind the living area TV, reads much warmer (sometimes 8 or more degrees warmer) due to the influence of fridge and TV heat. You’ll want to compensate for that when you set zone 2 temperatures. Best, Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just an FYI...my single zone CCC1 thermostat is also on the fridge wall and used to be affected by the heat in the fridge compartment. When I had the fridge out for repairs, I lined the compartment with Reflectix. The thermostat set temperature is now very close to actual room temp. Also was an incremental help to overall a/c performance.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote