Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Airstream as a battery for an electric car?

In a recent interview, Airstream CEO Bob Wheeler threw out some of Airstream's ideas on how they might adapt to electric & self driving cars.

Among other things, they're "toying with an idea of onboard battery tow vehicle... it could double range and double capacity."

It sounds like they're looking at self-driving Airstreams too. "Wheeler and his team have been asking themselves what an autonomous vehicle looks like, and what happens when you don't have forward-facing seats. The mobility experience might make them more social, involving more entertainment and even sleeping. 'That starts to seem a lot like a recreational vehicle.'"

So in the future, we may have trailers full of batteries that can recharge your electric cars, or Interstates that drive themselves!

http://www.businessinsider.com/airst...ng-cars-2018-1

DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I can see some sort of Tesla PowerWall type system that can be used when stopped. Even better if AS took the time to improve the whole electrical system to support decent solar installs. Telsa already has tons of recharging stations along the interstate systems. Problem would be those spots are currently car sized, not tow vehicle/RV sized spots.

Otherwise use 4-6 decent solar panels to feed a quality Lithium battery system that can be charged from shore power as well. Since that is already possible one would just need to wire in an external port for the charging cables.

HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
As long as there is even one human driving on the interstate I doubt I could ever sleep in a self driving car lol.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
i thhink when the self driving cars become prevalent enough, we will see highways where only they are allowed, sorta like the separate high capacity toll lanes we now are seeing more of. No self driven vehicle would be allowed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California

A few years ago Toyota had a software problem in their Lexus line that would suddenly cause the engine to get stuck in full throttle and would not shut off. The result was quite a few deaths.
Self driving cars are far more complex.
It will be a cold day in hell before I would ever trust one with my life.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I've talked to several people. It's a generational thing to not hold the wheel. One young lady at BMW Performance Center told me she loves the adaptive cruise control. She said it's one less thing for her to have to worry about when driving since the car "controls" the speed and braking. I see a long road ahead, maybe 20 years it will be widely implemented and in use nation wide. Yes, it will be in bigger cities sooner. I'm talking about nation-wide acceptance.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
I suspect you may be correct but it would take laws to force many people to stop driving. There is a breed of car buffs who love sports cars and the feel of driving. Many consider this another big government push to limit your freedom because they consider the general public too stupid to be allowed to drive themselves
Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
There is currently no separate highway or highway lane for big rig trucks. I doubt we have the political ability to coordinate a massive effort to "lane" self driving cars in nationwide interstates. Once again local areas, big cites, will be the test mules to see how well the systems work to prevent accidents/deaths.

In the end it would be significantly cheaper to mandate the "safety" features to work on our current road systems especially the interstates.

One would think the reverse would be easier. Make it work for interstate travel highways first, then move to local areas. We all know we can't get the national politics to work well enough to get funding or planning done for interstates to support a self driving "whatver".

I for one applaud Tesla/Elan Musk. Guy is showing what a motivated person can achieve. Once his trucks are making deliveries and doing so with very little incidents the nation will wake up. Plenty of big companies dropped orders for his trucks, albeit a cash investment for him with a LONG delivery time to wait as a consumer.

Stay tuned people, our world is changing.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
I suspect you may be correct but it would take laws to force many people to stop driving. There is a breed of car buffs who love sports cars and the feel of driving. Many consider this another big government push to limit your freedom because they consider the general public too stupid to be allowed to drive themselves
This is why my wife and I love BMW.

Anyone holding on to a 4barrel carbed, big block old school street machine will need to build a WELL secured storage facility. It will be priceless.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California

Changing but not for the better.
Interesting to note that
Elon Musk's car company is not even profitable. It survives on government subsidies .
As for a truck lane, yes, actually they are mandated to stay in the right lane of any interstate.
The problem with self driving cars is in the Artificial Intelligence. A person will usually choose self preservation in a collision regardless of what will happen to the other driver and passengers.
The AI will have to calculate in a crisis and decide who will live and who needs to die to save the most people.
The car in an emergency may decide that it is in the best interest of everyone in the other cars to put you into a tree.
They have already had these things malfunction and knock down a reporter and crash into other things.
Also, if the network goes down while you are going around a curve at high speed. What happens? Does the car brake in a straight line and smash though the barrier.
Plus it is just a matter of time before hackers put their efforts into seizing control of vehicles for their own entertainment . Mass chaos could result.
Imagine if North Korea or some other evil immoral group decided to shut down all vehicular traffic. Self driving cars is a stupid idea. Everyone was focused on can we do this instead of should we do this.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
A few years ago Toyota had a software problem in their Lexus line that would suddenly cause the engine to get stuck in full throttle and would not shut off. The result was quite a few deaths.
Self driving cars are far more complex.
It will be a cold day in hell before I would ever trust one with my life.

Uh, no. It was NEVER proven there was a software problem. Toyota re-flashed all of its software in a voluntary recall to prioritize brake over throttle to eliminate any possible but improbable issue. Now if you hold the throttle and hit the brake, the throttle immediately goes to idle. Some of the incidents had to be driver induced.

Frankly, given Toyota’s engineering, I am much more likely to trust a self-driving vehicle from Toyota. Our 2016 Prius has many augmented features like radar cruise control, blind spot monitoring and low speed braking override. It works solidly, and makes driving easier.

Tesla May be close, but until I get my hands on the one we reserved, the jury is still out. I note that Toyota is working on it, but isn’t putting out a full autonomous vehicle quite yet. I suspect they are working on reliability and longevity first.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I've always wondered why some entrepreneur didn't come up with some sort of a towable generator for electric cars. Figure that most folks are doing short errands around the local area, which would be fine for the capacity of current electric cars. When you want to take that 4 hr. drive to Grandma's house, you rent one of these trailers which runs on gasoline to power your car. Even if the cost was the same as a driving a gas guzzler, it's an occasional thing. That would take out most range anxiety of the electrics, I think.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
With all due respect , it was proven to be a software problem not driver error. I am a certified collision reconstructionist. Knowing the facts on this issue was my job
Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
I have information not available to the general public. Toyota paid out big money on those lawsuits