Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Winterizing 2018 Classic 33

Has anyone winterized their Classic with Alde system?

The manual is not very precise. I would appreciate someone detailing specific steps. Alde advises not to use antifreeze with their plumbing, but air only. I have only used antifreeze in past on my previous 2015 FC. Help appreciated.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Has anyone winterized their Classic with Alde system?

The manual is not very precise. I would appreciate someone detailing specific steps. Alde advises not to use antifreeze with their plumbing, but air only. I have only used antifreeze in past on my previous 2015 FC. Help appreciated.

Where does Alde say not to use RV Anti-Freeze. When I talked to them almost two years ago they said to use it?

The first year and last year I used RV Anti Freeze- blew the lines first and then pumped the anti freeze throughout the entire system. Then last March after returning from FL for the winter I decided to simply blow out and see what happened.

The blowing out worked fine, took longer but worked well. I pushed the compressor up to 60#PSI, then opened a facet. After pressure went down, closed the facet and let it build back up again. Did this a number of times until only air came out. We don't like and don't use the outside shower, so under the dinette I disconnected and capped off the lines so I no longer worry about winterizing it. Temperatures got down to the low to mid teens a number of nights and when we used the trailer no leaks nothing. I did check for leaks before we pulled out by connecting the compressor, building up pressure and then listening for any air escaping or pressure dropping - nothing.

So, next year 2019 when we return from FL I will blow out the lines again, this time in April. Prior to the trailer will be in FL last September so no concerns about freezing.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The gotcha with anti-freeze and a hot water system is the size of the hot water tank. If you fill the beast with anti-freeze, that takes a lot of fluid. It also takes a *long* time to flush out next spring.

Alde suggests that you can blow out the tank and then bypass it. Once bypassed, you can use anti-freeze on the rest of the plumbing. The trick in the spring is to flush out everything very well *before* you take the hot water out of bypass mode. You then still need to do some more flushing. Net result is less than "no-bypass".

So step by step (fresh water tank should be drained / empty at start):

1) Find an oil-less compressor that will deliver a good flow at 60 PSI ( = something you'd use in a shop).

2) Get a pressure fitting that will screw into the fresh water input on the trailer.

3) Hook up the compressor and open each faucet one at a time. Run it on hot for a while. Run it on cold for a while. Air should be blowing out for a bit before you go on to the next one.

4) Run the shower for a while and pull off the spray head. Run it hot and cold.

5) Run the outside shower the same way. Pull off it's head.

6) Open each of the drains and run them for a bit. Don't forget the Alde overpressure drain.

7) Flush the toilet for a while.

8) Put the sink faucet on hot and run it for a while.

9) Put the Alde hot water into bypass mode.

10) Pull the hose off of the street water input and cap it.

11) Find the water pump and hook up the sucker hose to it. Stick the hose in a bottle of anti-freeze.

12) Run each faucet hot and cold until you get anti-freeze in both positions.

13) Do the same for both showers

14) Flush the toilet until you get a good stream of anti-freeze.

15) Open each low point drain and run until you get a good flow of anti-freeze.

16) Pull off the sucker hose and re-connect the water pump.

17) Re-connect the compressor to the city water input.

18) Blow the anti-freeze out of each faucet and each shower and each low point and the toilet.

19) Empty the gray and black water tanks.

20) Put a cup or so of anti-freeze in each tank after it's been shut back up again.

I'm sure there's several things left out above. That's about as good a list as any.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote