Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
What's this valve?

We purchased a 2018 Classic 30 last week. The dealer had partially filled the tank with water...tasted horrible so we are draining it today.

Came across this valve but there is no mention in owner's manual.

We noted that when we turned it on we got fresh water! So that I know...but what is the purpose?

Thanks!

Name:   IMG_9623.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  95.7 KB
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Low point drain for winterizing.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
What's this valve?

There are two low point drains next to the fresh water tank drain. All three are located between the tires. This one was for sure giving me fresh water from the hose which is connected and turned on. I know this because I turned off the supply and voila the water stopped coming out this drain also.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The valve you pictured is an additional low point valve for the bathroom area.

Then there are two others under the trailer, almost between the two wheels mounted on the tanks, one is hot one is cold.

Then another one under the dinette for the hot water jacket in the Alde boiler.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
The valve you pictured is an additional low point valve for the bathroom area.

Then there are two others under the trailer, almost between the two wheels mounted on the tanks, one is hot one is cold.

Then another one under the dinette for the hot water jacket in the Alde boiler.

Bud

Ok, it makes sense. I can imagine other uses...a quick bucket fill and perhaps even a cold water hand wash.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I use that valve to drain the hot water tank when I need to capture another aggravating air bubble in our hot water tank. I do have to open the pressure relief vale when I do.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
I use that valve to drain the hot water tank when I need to capture another aggravating air bubble in our hot water tank. I do have to open the pressure relief vale when I do.
2017 actually don't have a traditional hot water tank. Only a small 2.5 gallon water jacket in the Alde boiler and it is drained by a flip valve under the front dinette.

Bud
Old 09-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The most practical use for that valve is to do a quick flush once all the hoses are hooked up. It's right where you want it for that purpose. Open it for 20 seconds or so to run all the weird critters out of your hose and the campground supply line.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Texas City , Arkansas
The valve is to relieve the pressure in the system prior to disconnecting the water line.
Old Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #10
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
If you hold that hinged door just right, also good for rinsing knees to toes. [emoji12]
Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OK, I've been meaning to do this for a long time. This question has been skirted, partially explained and answered incorrectly for a long time....and AS has NEVER put a good explanation in any manual that I know of.

Everything in the explanation will revolve around these two pictures. This is a 2007 classic, but I believe any AS with the outside water compartment down below the floor, in the curved under belly would be the same in operation, although some of the components have changed.

PIC #1 (outside water compartment)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Water compart.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	304759

PIC #2 (water heater compartment)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater comp.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	304758

Components and description: Outside water compartment
1) city water hose hookup (far Left, white in color)
2) low point drain, water heater drain, outside hand held shower hookup (brass household hose bib)
3) Black tank flush (far right around the corner, black and chrome

All of these components are below floor level and outside the frame rail. As such there is ZERO freeze protection for all of these components. When hooked to city water, the outside hose bib/low point drain is tee'd off the fresh water hookup directly behind the mounting panel. The other leg of the tee, goes through the floor, up into the undersink area by the water heater. From there that line feeds the entire trailer fixtures, including the water heater.

Components and description: Water heater compartment

1) Far left edge of pic = water line from outside water compartment which feeds entire trailer when on city water hook-up.
2) Chrome valve, front center of pic = outside water compartment shutoff, for use in freezing temps AND while using tank water/pump.
3) bypass line and one way valve (brass) = runs behind and around the chrome shutoff valve. This brass one way valve allows water to flow from left to right in the bypass lines, but not right to left.

Operation:

Summer operation while on either city water or tank water: Keep chrome bypass valve open.
1) city water will feed the outside spigot/drain and the whole trailer.
2) while on tank water, outside spigot will still be fed since chrome valve is open.

Winter operation while on tank water: Close chrome bypass valve; open the spigot/drain, and use low pressure air in the city water hose connection and let it blow out the spigot/drain. Leave the drain/spigot open during freezing weather.
Since the chrome valve is closed and the bypass valve will not allow right to left flow of tank/pump water, the entire outside water compartment is now empty and isolated from pump pressure and you will have no damage to the outside components.

Other benefits:
1)Spigot/drain can be used for an outside water source whether on city water or tank water in above freezing temps.
2) the outside spigot makes an excellent water heater drain, eliminating the need to screw around with the plastic drain on the water heater tank.
3)spigot/drain is an additional low point drain for winterizing (into storage).

I think that about does it....hope this all makes sense.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Rich, Perhaps you meant to post on the 2007 Classic thread. I wouldn’t want the op to get wrong information for his/her unit.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Rich, Perhaps you meant to post on the 2007 Classic thread. I wouldn’t want the op to get wrong information for his/her unit.
His pics look the same, as far as basic plumbing goes. It has been common amongst many models for a long time. I know his water heater is different, but that really doesn't matter for the outside compartment. Real question is what he has in the cabinet close to the water hookup (bath sink?). Like I said, I believe all units with hookups in the lower rounded compartment are very similar. Components and valves may be different styles, but I believe layout is same.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thank you for clearing that up me and others that may not have known.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Thank you for clearing that up me and others that may not have known.
I am hopeful that OP will return and maybe post a pic of the inside area where the valves and plumbing lines are. Then we will know for sure. But his description and question in post 1 sure sounds familiar.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Alde if on warms the fresh water inlet, once inside the trailer. Camped at 19F no issues when we did, Alde set at 70F.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Alde if on warms the fresh water inlet, once inside the trailer. Camped at 19F no issues when we did, Alde set at 70F.
Hmm, I'd like to know more about how the Alde provides heat down below the floor and in that outrigger area where the hookups are. I assume your Classic hookups are like OP's and mine?

For ASes which have the hookup through the wall, up higher above the floor, all this is moot. Those units have the regulator and hookup in an interior area, which is heated by furnace or Alde.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I am hopeful that OP will return and maybe post a pic of the inside area where the valves and plumbing lines are. Then we will know for sure. But his description and question in post 1 sure sounds familiar.
Hopefully the OP will get an email about being quoted, and can post another photo or two:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie2 View Post
. . .
So that I know...but what is the purpose?
. . .
Good discussion here -- glad we have a small and simple Airstream!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The most practical use for that valve is to do a quick flush once all the hoses are hooked up. It's right where you want it for that purpose. Open it for 20 seconds or so to run all the weird critters out of your hose and the campground supply line.

Bob
I had the same ? and believe Uncle Bob straightened me out with this explanation. Good advice Bob, keep them coming!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
If you hold that hinged door just right, also good for rinsing knees to toes. [emoji12]
Still laughing!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote