Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Very disappointed 2018 Classic 33

First trip out in new Classic 33.

1. Limited hot water

2. Cold water shower. Water streamed thru glass doors like no glass there. Bathroom floor half covered with water before I noticed.

3. Shower wand has more water coming out of hose than head. Could not tighten enough to stop.

4. New and great projection TV ONLY WORKS WITH OVER THE AIR CHANNELS—-NOT CABLE!

Have left two messages with JC over 4 hrs ago. No response.

Really regret trading up my 2015 FC 28. Called local dealer. We can drop rig off 1 week from now, but no guarantee as to when they’ll get to it.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Such a bummer.

I'm not an expert for sure (newbie) but when I got my AS last month I had the same issue with the shower. I texted my sales guy and he told me exactly what the issue was
(which tells me its not uncommon).

Turns out the bottom horizontal channel hadn't been sealed where it meets the wall mounted vertical channel. My 12yo fixed it in about 5 minutes with a $2 tube of silicone from walmart. Annoying, yes.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Ron, sorry to hear you are having issues. Before you take it back to the dealer and have it sit there for weeks and weeks please start reading the Much Ado Alde thread. Cold showers is covered in detail along with several steps you can do on your own without getting the dealer involved. The new projection TV is also covered in another thread.
What you are experiencing is not unusual, in fact it’s pretty common. I am not the most handy person and I was able to get my Alde system working perfectly without any special tools or training. Please, please read the Alde thread and save yourself weeks of waiting for someone else to make the mostly minor adjustments.
Yes, yes, we all know how much we all paid for these new puppies. Yes, QC sucks. You really have two choices, dive in and get to know your Alde system and your Big, projection Television or take it back to the dealer and pretty much kiss your summer travels goodbye. I know exactly how frustrating it is, been there myself on my 2017 Classic and I didn’t have any experience with any RV before, if I can fix mine, I bet you can fix yours as well.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Airstream....some assembly required.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I can only try to imagine how you must feel! I'm sure you're extremely disappointed and wondering how these kind of things can be missed when the trailer was built. I know I'd be pi$$ed-off in a big way! On the other hand, bringing the trailer back to a dealer may only increase your frustration.

After you've had time to think it through it may make sense to document the problems, work with your dealer for a some form of compensation (some free accessories perhaps) and simply perform the fixes yourself. If you can fix the problems yourself you'll be able to continue using the trailer and be well on your way to making memories as you travel down the road.

As others have mentioned, there are threads that address some of your issues. The leaking shower head might be as simple as a rubber washer.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
You should be able to get regular cable channels on the bedroom TV. The issues with cable on the projection TV are well documented.
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
My shower head had that issue. Figured out it had gotten frozen with residual water. I now take it off for the winter and throw it in a box with other stuff I store inside.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
We also had the same issue with the shower- yep, it wasn't caulked at the bottom. Easy fix but really disappointing when you are paying so much money for "quality". I agree with others, fix it yourself or go to JC and have them do it. They are fast, but there may not be appointments until August now. However you may have some leverage with a new 33. Good luck.
Leslieotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Wow... the factory is pushing out unfinished and UNTESTED trailers again... wonder what happened to QC and full system testing as they show in the sales pix. Oh well

Makes me go back to my 85 and say... nice trailer ... nice trailer... and with all the money I saved... I can tour for a year on the road as well... FREE....

But, I am sure it had to go through growing pains.. with the orginal' owner.. however their was no record of it going back to the dealer except for the scheduled checkup and lub'n. So might have gotten a good one to go... grin...

Trailers are like boats and planes... you are happy the first day you get it.. and the last day you sell it to someone else.. between those dates... you get out your checkbook.

The adventure contenues.
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
Wow... the factory is pushing out unfinished and UNTESTED trailers again... wonder what happened to QC and full system testing as they show in the sales pix. Oh well
As proved in hundreds of AirForums posts, Airstream's quality assurance process remains a complete failure. You can rest assured that you will have problems. Also, given the repeated "some assembly required" comment, Airstream's quality control testing and inspection must be "gundecked".

Thanks for posting your findings. Hope everyone continues posting all the lack-of-quality issues they encounter.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi DeltaRon,

We are very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your 2018 Classic. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Sorry to hear about your problems. With regard to leaking, the shower configuration in your 33' Classic is, of course, different than the one in our 2018 30' Classic, but the hot water production should be similar. We have been able to take comfortable back to back showers with no lack of hot water. Just make sure to initiate the shower boost feature 15 minutes or so in advance of beginning to shower. And as has been mentioned already, be sure to read through the Much Ado about Alde thread for useful info about the hot water system in the Classic.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Remember the good old days when you could press 1 button to light your hot water heater and the hot water would just magically WORK without any glimmer of a headache?

Remember when if it was cold out you could slide the little switch on the furnace thermostat and the trailer would blissfully warm right up?

...and not a damn touchscreen in sight! Bleck!!!!

Why would you pay $150 thousand dollars to NOT have such easy reliable systems that actually work?
HUSK N TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Oh please, there are plenty posts for help with "good old days" trailers where water, hot or cold, doesn't work because turning/flicking/pushing the dial/button/switch didn't work (bleck!!!).

There have definitely been issues with Classic 2018's, but they are well documented and either solved by fellow Airstreamers advice here, tech support at HQ, or (gasp) under warranty. You know, warranty repair/replacement that you get with NEW stuff.

Before you set out to paint your opinion all over other peoples' misery or problems, trying using a smaller brush rather than a giant roller. Or maybe just don't say anything at all.

Hang in there, Delta Ron, I had similar issues with the hot water (and definitely other stuff) and I can tell you they were quickly resolved when I notified the dealer or called tech support at HQ. I enjoy hot and long showers at the touch of a button now :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSK N TUSK View Post
Remember the good old days when you could press 1 button to light your hot water heater and the hot water would just magically WORK without any glimmer of a headache?

Remember when if it was cold out you could slide the little switch on the furnace thermostat and the trailer would blissfully warm right up?

Why would you pay $150 thousand dollars to NOT have such easy reliable systems that actually work?
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
We should get paid to do quality control
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Sorry to hear of your problems. But these are very minor issues that you should take care of yourself, as noted in previous posts.

I worked selling RV’s for a year. I can tell you REAL horror stories. I sold a $450,000 motor coach to a very wealthy man. I told him to buy something else, and listed the problems. He was throwing a party and needed it in two weeks. I told him it can ‘t be ready in two weeks. What did I know , I am just a salesman. Said he was a friend of the owner of the dealership. He bought it. Drove 50 miles, turned around and went directly into the service area and told them to fix it. He needed it completed in 2 weeks. It came out of the service area 5 months later. Customer was beyond furious, told owner I was the only honest person at the dealership, and unfortunately, told the owner I had tried to dissuade him from buying the coach. Customer took him to court. Don’t know the outcome. I was fired. I moved on to a better job.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSK N TUSK View Post

You mean the good old days when, on a cold night, you were awakened a half dozen or more times as the battery-sucking furnace blower fan came on? Personally, I prefer the uniform, relatively efficient, and QUIET heat produced by the ALDE system.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbrn View Post
sorry to hear of your problems. But these are very minor issues that you should take care of yourself, as noted in previous posts.

I worked selling rv’s for a year. I can tell you real horror stories. I sold a $450,000 motor coach to a very wealthy man. I told him to buy something else, and listed the problems. He was throwing a party and needed it in two weeks. I told him it can ‘t be ready in two weeks. What did i know , i am just a salesman. Said he was a friend of the owner of the dealership. He bought it. Drove 50 miles, turned around and went directly into the service area and told them to fix it. He needed it completed in 2 weeks. It came out of the service area 5 months later. Customer was beyond furious, told owner i was the only honest person at the dealership, and unfortunately, told the owner i had tried to dissuade him from buying the coach. Customer took him to court. Don’t know the outcome. I was fired. I moved on to a better job.
good for you!!!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
Oh please, there are plenty posts for help with "good old days" trailers where water, hot or cold, doesn't work because turning/flicking/pushing the dial/button/switch didn't work (bleck!!!).

There have definitely been issues with Classic 2018's, but they are well documented and either solved by fellow Airstreamers advice here, tech support at HQ, or (gasp) under warranty. You know, warranty repair/replacement that you get with NEW stuff.

Before you set out to paint your opinion all over other peoples' misery or problems, trying using a smaller brush rather than a giant roller. Or maybe just don't say anything at all.

Hang in there, Delta Ron, I had similar issues with the hot water (and definitely other stuff) and I can tell you they were quickly resolved when I notified the dealer or called tech support at HQ. I enjoy hot and long showers at the touch of a button now :-)
I think that the poster has a right and a duty to others to air these issues. Telling them to "just don't say anything at all" serves no one. This is the first time I have seen an AirstreamInc post here. I had seen posts by the Airstream marketing chief, but this looks like somebody cares...
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I personally feel that it's an absolute travesty that an RV costing over $100k can have such basic nickle and dime issues (and some larger ones too).

I would invite the OP (and anyone else for that matter) to use the search button here and search for Airstream quality. Even if you do a google search it will still bring you back here. Some of the issues new buyers are experiencing are well documented and many issues have been around for many, many years.

Airstream quality IMHO is unfortunately a total myth. In my exp, the quality of the builds are at best a dice roll. If it wasn't, you would not see nearly as many issues (some easily able to be caught by even the most unskilled QC staff) leaving the factory as they have for well over the 15 years I've been following Airstream build quality (along with two new trailer purchases along the way).

I get a big kick out of when folks say, it's still better than the box trailers....but is that really a compliment since we all know the less expensive box trailers are train wreck?!

My opinion (FWIW) is that there is a basic get them out the door mentality. Heck I found balled up McDonald's wrappers in my umbilical poke through inside the trailer, covered up with trim that I removed when I added a subwoofer. If they can't even be bothered to throw away their breakfast sandwich wrapper.........

Still the best lookin' trailer around....love the some assembly required comment...how very, very true (and sad)! LOL!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote