Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksjaso View Post
Thanks for valiantly pointing out my misspelling of words. That is really helpful. Maybe you’re right. Maybe Airstream is not for me. See, I am a disabled veteran with two tours in Afghanistan, the second being cust short by injury. And maybe cutting out and replacing a pvc pipe was something I could do at one time, but unfortunately not anymore. My hope was to find help and encouragement in this forum, not ridicule.

Thanks for your service—don’t let a couple bad apples spoil the bunch. A few around here (as with most online forums) seem to make “correcting” others their life’s mission.

Those few are outweighed by many others who are actually helpful and genuinely interested in making people feel welcome.

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 AM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks for valiantly pointing out my misspelling of words. That is really helpful. Maybe you’re right. Maybe Airstream is not for me. I am a disabled veteran with two tours in Afghanistan, the second being cut short by injury. And maybe cutting out and replacing a pvc pipe was something I could do at one time, but unfortunately not anymore. My hope was to find help and encouragement in this forum, not ridicule. - Former Army Warrant Officer
Brooksjaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Brooksjaso

Thanks for your service, and best of luck with your injuries, I was luckier.

Again as I suggested prior, usually the selling dealer is willing to get a new trailer with issues in and get the fix completed. If not, I might suggest you contact Airstream factory and when in their system press #2. I am going to PM you on some names to try and connect with, individuals whom I've dealt with and who have done their very best to rectify my issues on our new 2017 Classic.

Hard to figure a drain pipe cracking, but then it's an RV and my guess is your selling dealer did not do a complete check on the systems prior to delivery.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
B - wait, really? You admit you had previously owned a new AS that had a long punch list, then went back...lost money on a trade-in, to get a newer, bigger, more complicated AS and now you’re not happy. imagine that. And you didn’t know that there wasn’t an Airstream dealer town? Seriously?
I got over blaming every one else for decisions I make decades ago. I admit had a very bumpy start with my Classic, but I was totally new to the whole RV life, I was doing this on my own and I was in way over my head. I did my share of complaining the first week but within a month or two I got busy fixing what I could fix, learning what I could learn, learning to do myself with the help of the wonderful folks on this forum I got myself up and running without a single trip back to a dealers lot. I tried very hard to become active contributing member in the test group, I tried to find a solution instead of just complaining.
I am not familiar with what a farari is but Ferrari doesn’t have dealers in very city. They do have their own set of fun to deal with issues, just like Maserati. You can not possibly compare AS to either of the cars. If you had ever owned one you would learn very quickly they are a PITA to own.
So it boils down to this, fix it yourself or drag it back to the factory and let them fix it. At least Jackson Center is closer than Italy and you have have a 2 year warranty.
Thanks for valiantly pointing out my misspelling of words. That is really helpful. Maybe you’re right. Maybe Airstream is not for me. I am a disabled veteran with two tours in Afghanistan, the second being cut short by injury. And maybe cutting out and replacing a pvc pipe was something I could do at one time, but unfortunately not anymore. My hope was to find help and encouragement in this forum, not ridicule. I don’t need sympathy, charity or a shoulder to cry on. My hope in posting is to drive innovation and quality control at a company that was built on the backs of people like me. I am trying my best to be part of, what appears to be, a much needed solution at Airstream. - former Army Warrant Officer
Brooksjaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #85
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
- “warranty work for younger working professionals like myself is impossible to get done because there is no one in Nashville TN authorized to work on an Airstream, and I just don’t have time to haul it three hours to the closest dealer, wait for a few days for repair, and then haul it back home. I totally get it if you retired, but I am not.”
No mention in any of previous posts of disability do to military services so how could I have known. I am sorry you are having problems, honestly and in previous posts on this and another thread I have encouraged you to call JC, I offered advice on how to fix your Alde system quickly, easily without having to find a dealer. Until now you never mentioned that you physically were unable to make repairs. In previous post you stated you actually did do repairs yourself since you stated you had made recent repairs to your other new AS, I did assume you would be physically able to make the mostly minor adjustments to the Alde system. I apologize for making an incorrect assumption.
I still stand by my statement that there is no way to compare high performance autos to an RV and It is quite possible that RV ownership may not be an option for you unless you can find someone local to make adjustments for you or to transport your Classic to any dealer.
Thank you for your military service. My Dad was Air Force, shot down over North Vietnam. He did make it home after being MIA for a long time. I remember it very well. I do have a heart, and I do understand your frustration but if you really want to keep your Airstream you really only have two options. Get it to a dealer or find someone local to do it for you.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #86
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
In a sincere effort to help, if you can make the necessary phone calls to JC and get an appointment. I will drive to Nashville, pick up your Classic and drive it to Jackson Center. When it is fixed, I will reverse the process and deliver you Classic back to you. I will be happy to show you how the Alde works in person.
I can fix QC issues with Airstream, but I will be happy to get it to the Service Center we’re it will be fixed.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #87
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Sorry...meant to say I can Not fix QC issues. But the guys in the service Center are amazing and they do care and they read the forum, they get tired of constant bashing when all they are doing is working their backsides trying to make things right for the customer.
Again. I will be happy to get your Classic 30 to JC if you make the call.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi DeltaRon,

We are very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your 2018 Classic. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.
I think the QC is done by the first owner over and over.
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Reading this gave me second thoughts regarding trading up to a new AS. Have always taken our AS to JC for repairs, they make it convenient to stay there and get your trailer repaired.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #90

Houston , Texas
33' problems too

We too have a 2018 33' Classic and have experienced similar problems. As far as hot water goes, there is an anti scald valve under the dinette, closest to the door. Even when turned all the way up, it's not hot enough. Airstream guys told me to remove knob screw, rotate knob clockwise, place back on and turn anti-clockwise as adjusting hotter. I repeated it 2 more times then replaced knob with screw. Plenty of hot water. On TV, the "green" light in top right cabinet above couch needs to be off for everything but air channels, it's the antenna booster. We've been round and round on the projection TV.
GaryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
On the Alde. Two items we had to adjust. The mixing valve we had to put more to the hot side. And after being winterized we forgot to open the hot water bypass valve. Duh.. we did have one fri nd who had to have the Alde motherboard replaced. But ours works fine now with those two tweeks.
RandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream87 View Post
Reading this gave me second thoughts regarding trading up to a new AS. Have always taken our AS to JC for repairs, they make it convenient to stay there and get your trailer repaired.
Just to add a data point, if we trade up to a different Airstream, out plan is to buy used. At least there is a chance that most of the new AS issues may be solved at that point. Our 2007 was bought that way, and most issues it has are of our making...

BTW, Airstream87, we used to live in Huntsville...still have family there running the Red Barn Veterinary clinic near Madison, on Old Railroad Bed Road...(shameless plug..)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeJ View Post
I think the QC is done by the first owner over and over.

Airstream, we have JC service appointment on June 15.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryCreek View Post
We too have a 2018 33' Classic and have experienced similar problems. As far as hot water goes, there is an anti scald valve under the dinette, closest to the door. Even when turned all the way up, it's not hot enough. Airstream guys told me to remove knob screw, rotate knob clockwise, place back on and turn anti-clockwise as adjusting hotter. I repeated it 2 more times then replaced knob with screw. Plenty of hot water. On TV, the "green" light in top right cabinet above couch needs to be off for everything but air channels, it's the antenna booster. We've been round and round on the projection TV.

Also an anti scald inside the shower handle, which I deactivated
Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #95
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
First trip out in new Classic 33.

1. Limited hot water

2. Cold water shower. Water streamed thru glass doors like no glass there. Bathroom floor half covered with water before I noticed.

3. Shower wand has more water coming out of hose than head. Could not tighten enough to stop.

4. New and great projection TV ONLY WORKS WITH OVER THE AIR CHANNELS—-NOT CABLE!

Have left two messages with JC over 4 hrs ago. No response.

Really regret trading up my 2015 FC 28. Called local dealer. We can drop rig off 1 week from now, but no guarantee as to when they’ll get to it.
You bought a very expensive poor quality RV... as I did a while back. AS use to have a quality product, no more, it is just an ICON. As long as they can sell them with minimal quality and high price that puts money in their bank. I live in a community of 100% AS. All of us have had quality problems.
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
My belief, somewhat validated by some AS employees is that for liability reasons AS cannot make the water hotter than what one gets from the factory. Our water temp for instance at the shower head can be over 140f if I want, which will burn just about anyone, especially a child. No kids ride with us, ever, and no guests shower in our trailer. So if we get burned bad on us.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #97
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Arthur , Illinois
"First trip out in new Classic 33."

Thats why, when asked about why I bought an A/S, I say towabilty and resale value, period! That's it! Workmanship and design leave lots to be desired with A/S.

I had a laundry list of problems that should have been caught at the factory with my first A/S, a 19' '06 Bambi. It was like they built it after a three day drunken weekend! Comedy of errors.

And A/S puts some really shi**y fixtures and appliances in these high buck trailers. They obviously shop low price and pay little attention to product's quality. For instance, in my '13 25' FC, I went thru 2 Sumbeam microwaves before I insisted upon getting and got this Quisinart replacement last summer. Now who ever heard of a Sunbeam microwave? I told A/S that these LED lamps weren't lasting very long......got crickets! So I found the manufacturer's contact info, explained to him what was going on and he sent replacements for every lamp. But A/S?? Don't waste your time!

Towabilty and resale value......period! After that, expect very little and you won't be surprised.
Formerfarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #98

kitchener , ontario
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
First trip out in new Classic 33.

1. Limited hot water

2. Cold water shower. Water streamed thru glass doors like no glass there. Bathroom floor half covered with water before I noticed.

3. Shower wand has more water coming out of hose than head. Could not tighten enough to stop.

4. New and great projection TV ONLY WORKS WITH OVER THE AIR CHANNELS—-NOT CABLE!

Have left two messages with JC over 4 hrs ago. No response.

Really regret trading up my 2015 FC 28. Called local dealer. We can drop rig off 1 week from now, but no guarantee as to when they’ll get to it.
Congratulations on your purchase.
You have fallen into the same trap as many Americans - assuming that paying for some grossly overpriced product means that you are getting quality.
Look around - you could have a custom built trailer (an a superior aluminum frame) built for less money. Far superior quality at a far lower price.
They'll even stick some silly badge on it if you'd like.
tex99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
My belief, somewhat validated by some AS employees is that for liability reasons AS cannot make the water hotter than what one gets from the factory. Our water temp for instance at the shower head can be over 140f if I want, which will burn just about anyone, especially a child. No kids ride with us, ever, and no guests shower in our trailer. So if we get burned bad on us.

Not only Airstream, we just remodeled our master bath last year and I had to remove the anti scald valve because the plumbers were not allowed to do so. By the way we have been more than satisfied with our 2017 Classic 30.
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #100
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
-87. Knowledge is good. Knowing what is realistic, what problem are being discussed over and over from the Basecamp to the Classic and has been going on for years is important piece of information to have prior to purchase of a new AS. To except QC to suddenly improve overnight is unrealistic.
I own a 2017 Classic. I became more familiar with the Alde than I had intended to, that being said, the adjustments needed to get the Alde functional were minor. Honest, very minor and I haven’t had a bit of trouble since. Should it have been this way, no...it is, yes. As much as possible I warn others to do a thorough walk with the dealer, spend the night on the dealers lot the first night. Absolutely everyone who has done this is happy they did and have not had problems later.