Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
Naper....AGREED!!! After a bit of learning/tweaking, I LOVE our Alde system. I would never go back. Thread: ‘Much Ado About Alde’ is wonderful resource.
The first thing I want to do when I get to a lovely National Forest campground in the mountain wilderness is get in the tow vehicle and drive to the nearest town 100 miles away to get a 1X internet signal and read dozens upon dozens of pages on how to attempt to get my Alde system to sorta work.
HUSK N TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Go to JC, make a list of problems, email them the list in advance, and discuss your dealer with them. I was at the rally and I heard someone bought there. My thoughts were, "oh no". Im actually going to JC in July. Once they contact you, they are great. I feel fortunate that my sons live in ohio, so making the trip for service will be a no brainer for me.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Also feel free to message me if you would like to talk further
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Also feel free to message me if you would like to talk further

Thanks for advice. Because of this thread, they’ve pushed up my service to June 15.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #45
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
If the OP had done just a little homework before hand he would not be experiencing these problems now. If the dealer had set the system up and done the inspection, the OP would not have had these issues. Not everything is JC fault. Anyone forum member who is considering buying a Classic from 2017 forward should familiarize them themselves with the Alde then during the walk through, TURN THE SHOWER ON and let it run for at least 10 minuets. Pay attention during the walk through, that is why it is stressed in this forum over and over. 33 owners should probably turn on the Projection TV and see what happens.
This is not a new problem. Owners bare some responsibility for being hypnotized by all the shines aluminum.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As one of the original Alde owners I feel for the OP and the issues. Also, having managed a company that sold product only thru dealers I feel for AS. Managing dealers in today's climate is like herding cats but often times with limited ability to "correct" bad behavior. Each state has, or had laws when I worked, that limit the termination powers of the manufacturing company over it's dealers within that state.

AS is making significant progress with the newly instituted dealer "reward and recognition" program called RIVIT. Believe it or not, at least from my experience these programs have an impact on not only the relationship between the manufacturer and dealers but on the quality of work being done by the dealers who care. The ones who continue to do marginal work or simply don't respond to customers requirements are weeded out, but the weeding out can be a long and cumbersome process.

Like another post, I've met with and talked to a number of factory employees at JC, having run a manufacturing facility I was impressed with the attitude improvement in just 18 months that I noticed in our last visit, which was this spring. AS is not perfect and I am not defending the issues or downplaying the issues many people have, our 2017 Classic was in for two days worth of warranty work, however, after partaking of this RV activity for over 40 years we realize that these units are made by people, people at times don't do the job as it should be done, so AS fixes it.

My suggestion is as others have suggested is prior to calling JC or posting a complaint on the Alde system check the Alde tread - packed with useful information. Then contact in a PM someone who appears to know something about the Alde and or call JC and one of the people you get when you hit #2, will do whatever they can to get your unit up and going.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSK N TUSK View Post
The first thing I want to do when I get to a lovely National Forest campground in the mountain wilderness is get in the tow vehicle and drive to the nearest town 100 miles away to get a 1X internet signal and read dozens upon dozens of pages on how to attempt to get my Alde system to sorta work.
Just me, but I usually do my homework on a new purchase BEFORE I take it out for it's first use. Would you buy an expensive yacht and set sail to the Caribbean straight from the dealer or would you maybe, just maybe, take the time to learn how to operate the many systems aboard?

I had many problems with my new 2017 Classic, some major, some minor, but I am impressed with the Customer Service Department at Airstream. They have worked tirelessly to help me get things right. My trailer is at JC right now and I could not have had a better experience with the Service folks like Artie, Jon and my tech Colby. They are awesome, knowledgable and truly care.

Once set up properly, the Alde system is fantastic and I wouldn't want a traditional furnace. The Alde thread referred to by several posters is an incredible resource and quite frankly is where I found the solution to my hot water issues, thanks to pioneers like paiceman and Lauri Kendrick. I learned a lot well before I took delivery of my trailer by reading the Classic threads here on the forum. It is my unit and my ultimate responsibility to understand how to operate it.

There only 80 Airstream dealers and one factory in the U.S. Good chance we are going to be a bit out of range when a problem crops up. There is bit of a need for self reliance and at least some ability to fix minor problems as they arise.

The OP can be happy with their purchase with a little patience and persistence. In the meantime we would all benefit if Airstream upped their game on initial Quality Control. Their warranty costs must be really high. Always costs more to fix a problem after the fact than to do it right the first time.

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
Old 05-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Glad to hear you got an earlier service date.

Why should any new AS owner need to return to Ohio for warranty work? That’s a terrible, extreme cost option.

Glad we didn’t need to drive our Mercedes Benz ML350 to the Alabama assembly plant for initial warranty repair items.

No owner should have to do that. AS should always have superb unit quality. No excuses or explanations should ever be necessary.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry for the mess with this.

When I first joined these forums, I distinctly recall many discussions about all the problems with new rigs but how wonderful JC was at fixing them. I was shocked then, now just shake my head.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again...there’s absolutely no excuse for letting rigs leave the factory with the problems we hear of here.

I don’t care whether other brands have similar issues, it’s still inexcusable, for all of them.

They can’t be bothered to do QC, but there’s a method and purpose to having people stream back to the factory and community for “warranty work”.

I have loved my Interstate these past 11 years, but lack of respect for what they allow to come off the line continues.

This is all ongoing testament, as well, to spending a night at the dealership, trying out all the systems and facilities and having them fixed the next morning before you leave.

It should be a part of every deal.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
For the money they charge... IT Should be perfict.. or at least repair free... I know cars can be mass produced and seem to have ocasional malfunctions.. but that is the reason they have dealers who do factory recall etc...

Ever see a recall notice on A/S.... I mean everything mechanical has some issues in its manufactureing.... I think that they figure .. you don't know.. so we don't have to spend OUR money to fix it.

And what cost to haul the trailer back to the plant are they paying for ? They should... and legally they could be held... accountable....for your time and cost to bring it back to get it fixed.

I know I had to go through it.. and when done... A/S took a big hit.. when the man in the black robe said... they have to make good... after all that is what you put your hard earned money down to buy is their product. Not only did they want to just buy the trailer back.. but they didn't want to pony up with the cost incurred for transportation... So we had 'em commercially tow it back to JC and then commercially tow it back out to the left coast. As well as they had to demount the hull and fix the frame and floor that they damaged.. better known as neglect.. because they didn't QC/QA the unit.
So we not only got it fixed but also got compensation for the time and effort and stress we had to endur while they BS around... point fingers at the dealer saying that they should have fixed the problem... but, the problem came from the factory .. we proved... and so in the end they had to pony up and make right under the law.

I always wondered how many new owners know that their is a problem. but... don't have the time or fiances to get it fixed.. and so pass it off when they get next years model... and let the new owner take the hit to fix it... if at all...

Sad to say corporate just doesn't get their act togeather.. as I know several who had the same problem I did with mine.. and when they went to get theirs fixed... they were just blown off and frustrated to the point that they sold it and bought something else from a different brand.

Old wally is probably turning over in his grave about now with all the unhappy customers... then again... what is the percentage that have problems...

according to the stats... it appears that less than 12% of ALL AS manufactured during a year are found to have failures. So in todays world thats pretty good ...

unless your one of the 12%...

I found that their are two distinct groups of AS owners... those that buy new.. and those that buy used. To which the USED group buy at lower prices and put their money into upgrades and fixes. I mean when you can buy a 10 year old AS that is still in good shape for less than half the cost of new... you are money ahead.. and that is why I think it drives the ventage (OLD) AS market. Now if we can just keep the people from gutting them and then abandon 'em I am sure their would be a lot more market... which would and problably does cut into new sales.

To keep the old used market down... and depressed.. AS came up with a way to keep the new sales up... they SIMPLY DON'T SELL PARTS AFTER SO MANY YEARS... to discourage others from buying GOOD OLD ones and drive them to the NEW market. It appears that AS goes out of its way to make changes so that they can abandon the early ones.. AS is no dummy.. it knows how long things are going to last.. by the whin'n directed at them from the ones needing specific repair parts... and when the owner needs replacement... and how many time have we heard.. sorry parts no longer... and.. sorry we no longer support or will work on that year... this then is a determining factor to discourage owner from fixing up or maintaining their older units.... but, AS has a thorn in its side as it also spurs the after market manufacturs.

Aftermarket manufacture is why... their is such a great new and techo improved items to go back in and replace defective ones. aftermarket sales is what supports the GOOD OLD ones... we think. You can bet AS corporate is always looking at what owners are buying and being upgraded in the aftermarket sales... and when found to be better than what they AS corporate are pushing out the door... jump to be new and improved units... (take the tire issue)

I too joined the GOOD OLD trailer group... and needless to say... found that AS is as they say... very protective of new product sales... even though its junk.
Is my AS a AS... yes but only the trademark label says so.. everthing else has been reworked and up graded to new higher tech.

I find it funny that the newbies... turn up their nose at the OLDies... at rallys' when in fact they are the first come over and let you know they have the newest of the new... (ego)

But when you say you have that new high tech ...better than they have in that new appliance... or something they don't have... the are then the first to ask.. what and how the new appliance works... and head home wondering why AS didn't put that in their new $100K unit (that theirs doesn't have...)
interesting... with a smile knowing that they are frustrated after paying all that money for theirs...

So just what is the life of the AS.... well according to engineering stats... it appears that its about 10 years. After that... AS fails to support it.. and parts specific to AS .. and they become RARE... leaving the owner with really only one choice.. sell and take the loss... and buy new again at outlandish rate.

so do I own a AS.. yes.. its a NEW GOOD OLD ONE... that has state of the art appliances which work every time... most of which didn't come from the factory 20 years ago... and what I have in it $$ wise... really miffs off the newbies when they find out... in compairson to what they paid...and got/have... to boot...

If you really want to make their day... do a chart on... future value/depreciation ... of a new one... it resembles the track of a MX missle... up and down... and it will fit on one 8x11 page... but, believe me ...you won't be making friends with the newbies after that... it destroys their ego...

Nice doing business with ya... always makes my day...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Comparing an RV to cars is apples and oranges. Cars and trucks are manufactured using more and more AI, including robots and eventually there will be only a few UAW members in a car plant monitoring what the AI machines do. RVs for the most part are made by humans. Humans make mistakes, humans sabotage, humans forget, I can attest to this as I once had 1,500 humans building products for me as GM. No excuses, just the way it is.

Federal law only requires manufacturers to offer parts on units produced up to ten years old, then after that they are no longer obligated to do so. Reason is cost of goods and inventory costs. Been there on that side.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
For the money they charge... IT Should be perfict.. or at least repair free... I know cars can be mass produced and seem to have ocasional malfunctions.. but that is the reason they have dealers who do factory recall etc...

Ever see a recall notice on A/S.... I mean everything mechanical has some issues in its manufactureing.... I think that they figure .. you don't know.. so we don't have to spend OUR money to fix it.

And what cost to haul the trailer back to the plant are they paying for ? They should... and legally they could be held... accountable....for your time and cost to bring it back to get it fixed.

I know I had to go through it.. and when done... A/S took a big hit.. when the man in the black robe said... they have to make good... after all that is what you put your hard earned money down to buy is their product. Not only did they want to just buy the trailer back.. but they didn't want to pony up with the cost incurred for transportation... So we had 'em commercially tow it back to JC and then commercially tow it back out to the left coast. As well as they had to demount the hull and fix the frame and floor that they damaged.. better known as neglect.. because they didn't QC/QA the unit.
So we not only got it fixed but also got compensation for the time and effort and stress we had to endur while they BS around... point fingers at the dealer saying that they should have fixed the problem... but, the problem came from the factory .. we proved... and so in the end they had to pony up and make right under the law.

I always wondered how many new owners know that their is a problem. but... don't have the time or fiances to get it fixed.. and so pass it off when they get next years model... and let the new owner take the hit to fix it... if at all...

Sad to say corporate just doesn't get their act togeather.. as I know several who had the same problem I did with mine.. and when they went to get theirs fixed... they were just blown off and frustrated to the point that they sold it and bought something else from a different brand.

Old wally is probably turning over in his grave about now with all the unhappy customers... then again... what is the percentage that have problems...

according to the stats... it appears that less than 12% of ALL AS manufactured during a year are found to have failures. So in todays world thats pretty good ...

unless your one of the 12%...

I found that their are two distinct groups of AS owners... those that buy new.. and those that buy used. To which the USED group buy at lower prices and put their money into upgrades and fixes. I mean when you can buy a 10 year old AS that is still in good shape for less than half the cost of new... you are money ahead.. and that is why I think it drives the ventage (OLD) AS market. Now if we can just keep the people from gutting them and then abandon 'em I am sure their would be a lot more market... which would and problably does cut into new sales.

To keep the old used market down... and depressed.. AS came up with a way to keep the new sales up... they SIMPLY DON'T SELL PARTS AFTER SO MANY YEARS... to discourage others from buying GOOD OLD ones and drive them to the NEW market. It appears that AS goes out of its way to make changes so that they can abandon the early ones.. AS is no dummy.. it knows how long things are going to last.. by the whin'n directed at them from the ones needing specific repair parts... and when the owner needs replacement... and how many time have we heard.. sorry parts no longer... and.. sorry we no longer support or will work on that year... this then is a determining factor to discourage owner from fixing up or maintaining their older units.... but, AS has a thorn in its side as it also spurs the after market manufacturs.

Aftermarket manufacture is why... their is such a great new and techo improved items to go back in and replace defective ones. aftermarket sales is what supports the GOOD OLD ones... we think. You can bet AS corporate is always looking at what owners are buying and being upgraded in the aftermarket sales... and when found to be better than what they AS corporate are pushing out the door... jump to be new and improved units... (take the tire issue)

I too joined the GOOD OLD trailer group... and needless to say... found that AS is as they say... very protective of new product sales... even though its junk.
Is my AS a AS... yes but only the trademark label says so.. everthing else has been reworked and up graded to new higher tech.

I find it funny that the newbies... turn up their nose at the OLDies... at rallys' when in fact they are the first come over and let you know they have the newest of the new... (ego)

But when you say you have that new high tech ...better than they have in that new appliance... or something they don't have... the are then the first to ask.. what and how the new appliance works... and head home wondering why AS didn't put that in their new $100K unit (that theirs doesn't have...)
interesting... with a smile knowing that they are frustrated after paying all that money for theirs...

So just what is the life of the AS.... well according to engineering stats... it appears that its about 10 years. After that... AS fails to support it.. and parts specific to AS .. and they become RARE... leaving the owner with really only one choice.. sell and take the loss... and buy new again at outlandish rate.

so do I own a AS.. yes.. its a NEW GOOD OLD ONE... that has state of the art appliances which work every time... most of which didn't come from the factory 20 years ago... and what I have in it $$ wise... really miffs off the newbies when they find out... in compairson to what they paid...and got/have... to boot...

If you really want to make their day... do a chart on... future value/depreciation ... of a new one... it resembles the track of a MX missle... up and down... and it will fit on one 8x11 page... but, believe me ...you won't be making friends with the newbies after that... it destroys their ego...

Nice doing business with ya... always makes my day...

I am extremely impressed by how much smarter you are than I am. [emoji851] And it’s good to know you know it. I bought new...and happen to be enjoying it.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I have a one month old International Serenity 28. No issues, everything works. And I am picky.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #54
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Ron, sorry to hear you are having issues. Before you take it back to the dealer and have it sit there for weeks and weeks please start reading the Much Ado Alde thread. Cold showers is covered in detail along with several steps you can do on your own without getting the dealer involved. The new projection TV is also covered in another thread.
What you are experiencing is not unusual, in fact it’s pretty common. I am not the most handy person and I was able to get my Alde system working perfectly without any special tools or training. Please, please read the Alde thread and save yourself weeks of waiting for someone else to make the mostly minor adjustments.
Yes, yes, we all know how much we all paid for these new puppies. Yes, QC sucks. You really have two choices, dive in and get to know your Alde system and your Big, projection Television or take it back to the dealer and pretty much kiss your summer travels goodbye. I know exactly how frustrating it is, been there myself on my 2017 Classic and I didn’t have any experience with any RV before, if I can fix mine, I bet you can fix yours as well.
Total agreement. The Forum is your resource.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Ada , MICHIGAN
Hi, would just like to add we also just purchased 2018 25 signature two weeks ago, no problems great dealer {woodland} happy camper
xtcbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtcbike View Post
Hi, would just like to add we also just purchased 2018 25 signature two weeks ago, no problems great dealer {woodland} happy camper
I bought my used 2017 22 Bambi from Woodland. Good folks. Spent the night in their garage, got hours of orientation and an awesome recommendation for a local brewery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180527_135354.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	312220  
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmama View Post
I bought my used 2017 22 Bambi from Woodland. Good folks. Spent the night in their garage, got hours of orientation and an awesome recommendation for a local brewery.
The first thing I did when I bought my Airstream was remove all the dealer stickers, Thor stickers, and all the warning stickers all over. Those things look horrible. Just the actual Airstream and model badges remain.
HUSK N TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:38 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
I am extremely impressed by how much smarter you are than I am. [emoji851] And it’s good to know you know it. I bought new...and happen to be enjoying it.

Thanks considering the source .. your welcome

No really... some say that after 10 years.. they don't have to provide parts... so I guess one then on the 11 year... get their checkbook out and writes another check for 100K...

Yet the old trailer has lots of life and miles left in her... so what is one to do... ahhh aftermarket.. thank goodness.. as the support from A/S goes away... another ability showes up... great..

Yet others give testomony that their new ones are without issues... (at least to their knowledge today) ... which is great too... but all to often when they do have a problem... they are here and A/S is over younder... 3 to 4 days away... so their goes the vacation plans... as now you have to make a trip back to get 'er fixed...

Old 05-28-2018, 01:55 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmama View Post
Would that be Woodland... in Grand Rapids, MI... if so wow I bought my first AS from them back in 1973... when I had relatives who lived their... They had great service and were really helpful as I remember... treated you like one of the family... Glad to see that they are still their.. if it is the same woodland that I had dealings with...

They took the time to set up the trailer and run it for almost a week before we took it.. and even then they went from the outside front to back and inside showing how everything worked and what to do...

They even helped stock it for the road...

I remember 'em fondly and will never forget how helpful they were... which is the reason we bought the second one... different dealer.... unlike my first one the second new one in 78 became a nightmare... due to lack of service and QC.

Their we had to sue 'em to get 'er fixed correctly... and it wasn't the dealers fault AS just wouldn't send the parts even though it was new.

It spent 3 months at the dealer.. awaiting parts... and then another 3 days to get if from the left coast back to JC with the thing on a flat bed truck.. because it was falling apart due to lousy engineering...from the frame up.. and A/S knew it... .so it had to go commercial transport.

It then spent 2 months at AS... and when we few back their a couple of times to see how it was going.. it hadn't moved... Next stop.. man in the black robe... as we got tired of the old .. run around.. about no extra parts and just good old BS from the management... it was pushing past vacation reservations and almost 6 months of sitting awaiting...

So after that we had a negative attitude towards their product.. but still after it was fixed.. it was a great trailer... but, we sold it and went to a new different manufacture...one that was better suited for the family members... which had features that the A/S didn't.

We came to the conclusion that A/S was targeting the retired couple who wanted to travel or go spend time at other ends of the country. As a family unit with kids... the A/S just didn't work out... and the kids were a little tough on its thin wood and plastic parts...

So we found also that the sleeping just wasn't right either... and that it really was only geared for 4 people... kids included... so we moved on to another...

then when the kids had all flown the nest.. thinking about traveling...we went back to the current one.. and love it... had to replace most of the appliances with new more high tech ones.. but then again for what we have in it... it works out to be the cheaper way to go than buy new...that looks like the inside of my empty beer can...

Lucky the current one was custom built.. and so the orginal owner had the same idea we do now... and we got it for a song... as it carries on.. for just the two of us... sweet.
and now when we go to the rally... we are in style... and have new technology in the appliances.. that A/S hasn't figured out yet... which really makes ours better... but I am still pleplexed with A/S saying that their new trailers are campers. and not full time.... they are not putting insulation under the floor anymore??? ...

reading the new sales stuff... it says it a 3 season camper??? what happened

The adventure contenues
Old 05-28-2018, 03:32 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It sounds like there may be some uncommonly conscientious dealers out there, who do a proper run thri before delivery and get anything missed at the factory up and running before delivery.

Maggie