Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Please re-read my post as I was responding to Husk N Tusk, not DeltaRon. Of course, I agree with airing issues (you should check out my other posts in the Classic 33 2018 forum, where I listed ALL my repair/warranty work that is going to be done). Husk N Tusk's post had nothing to do with "airing of issues". Husk's post was petty, self-serving, and intended to demoralize someone who spent "$150 thousand dollars" for their AS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
I think that the poster has a right and a duty to others to air these issues. Telling them to "just don't say anything at all" serves no one. This is the first time I have seen an AirstreamInc post here. I had seen posts by the Airstream marketing chief, but this looks like somebody cares...
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
Please re-read my post as I was responding to Husk N Tusk, not DeltaRon. Of course, I agree with airing issues (you should check out my other posts in the Classic 33 2018 forum, where I listed ALL my repair/warranty work that is going to be done). Husk N Tusk's post had nothing to do with "airing of issues". Husk's post was petty, self-serving, and intended to demoralize someone who spent "$150 thousand dollars" for their AS.

As much as I don’t like to see these problems occur I also dislike the fact that you are put in the back of the queue to resolve these issues.

My dealer provides full hookup sites and his practice is for you to spend the night. Use all the appliances in the trailer, shower, fridge etc. Then the next morning while we do the paper work and pay, service is dealing with the issues.

I really believe this is the best way if you buy from a dealer, and if he doesn’t offer an on-site overnight, stay at a close campground with the agreement that they will service anything you find the following day.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Lexington , South Carolina
Mr. Cannon, As your selling dealer we have an invested interest in your purchase. I hate to hear of you disappointment, and realize you are a distance, from us, but would be happy to help any way we can. Id be glad to set up a time that my team could address each of these issues and make you happy with your investment. I've also sent you a private email so we can further discuss any service needs.
Hershey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey79 View Post
Mr. Cannon, As your selling dealer we have an invested interest in your purchase. I hate to hear of you disappointment, and realize you are a distance, from us, but would be happy to help any way we can. Id be glad to set up a time that my team could address each of these issues and make you happy with your investment. I've also sent you a private email so we can further discuss any service needs.

Look forward to your private email. Please use roncannon@comcast.net or (678) 591-1058.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
GooooseFraaabbaaa
Relax.... breath deep. Ohmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
Oh please, there are plenty posts for help with "good old days" trailers where water, hot or cold, doesn't work because turning/flicking/pushing the dial/button/switch didn't work (bleck!!!).

There have definitely been issues with Classic 2018's, but they are well documented and either solved by fellow Airstreamers advice here, tech support at HQ, or (gasp) under warranty. You know, warranty repair/replacement that you get with NEW stuff.

Before you set out to paint your opinion all over other peoples' misery or problems, trying using a smaller brush rather than a giant roller. Or maybe just don't say anything at all.

Hang in there, Delta Ron, I had similar issues with the hot water (and definitely other stuff) and I can tell you they were quickly resolved when I notified the dealer or called tech support at HQ. I enjoy hot and long showers at the touch of a button now :-)
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
Older airstream

After seeing the 2018 pricing I decided to keep my old 30 ft classic I actually like the inside better than the new septic look. However I do need to upgrade the faucets but I think that can be done for less than $100,000 difference on the new ones.
Jim m Sonoma, ca
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojimmiller View Post
After seeing the 2018 pricing I decided to keep my old 30 ft classic I actually like the inside better than the new septic look. However I do need to upgrade the faucets but I think that can be done for less than $100,000 difference on the new ones.
Jim m Sonoma, ca
I agree. I loved the real wood hickory Classic woodwork. REAL wood everywhere.

Amazingly, when the new current style Classics came out, they were actually all real wood and real wood veneer too for a few months. Real cherry, everywhere. Those trailers are rare and beautiful.

However, Airstream had problems building the larger real Cherry wood pieces in the trailer without scratching and gouging them all up so rather than take more care while building them, Airstream decided to discontinue all the larger previous real wood panels. The larger panels are now plywood covered with a synthetic artificial wood-look veneer as you would find in a $10,000 SOB. And, they actually raised the price. But, the cabinet doors are still a real Cherry-like hardwood, like in the other Thor lines.
HUSK N TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Does anyone know if the 2018 30 Ft. Classic is having the same problems??? I just agreed on terms for a new 2018 and hope I am not buying some problems. Thanks
Bob
bon4rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Following thread.
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon4rm View Post
Does anyone know if the 2018 30 Ft. Classic is having the same problems??? I just agreed on terms for a new 2018 and hope I am not buying some problems. Thanks
Bob
Hi Bob. We have a 2018 30' Classic and have not had the same problems as the OP. Plenty of hot water for showers and no leaks, although the 30' Classic has a different shower door setup with regard to the OP's leaking issue.

That's not to say there have been no concerns. The Alde system shut down when operating on propane due to a failure of the internal fan and accumulation of water in the exhaust tube. The fan was replaced under warranty and the tube was rerouted. Also, there was a fault in the gas oven which would not allow it to light properly. My dealer attempted to fix it by replacing the thermocouple and, when that didn't work, the entire oven was replaced. I don't think these two problems are common so I wouldn't expect they are things you should worry too much about.

All other systems have been trouble free. In general, we've been quite happy with our 2018 Classic.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
We have owned 2 Airstream trailers and have not experienced the QC issues referenced here. I have been thrilled with our trailers and recommend them often. Our local dealer in Spokane is also very good - and I believe that helps as well.
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post

My dealer provides full hookup sites and his practice is for you to spend the night. Use all the appliances in the trailer, shower, fridge etc. Then the next morning while we do the paper work and pay, service is dealing with the issues.

I really believe this is the best way if you buy from a dealer, and if he doesn’t offer an on-site overnight, stay at a close campground with the agreement that they will service anything you find the following day.

Jack
Thank goodness that some dealers ARE trying to be responsive and acknowledge that AS QC QA is not what it was... and so at least offer take up the slack in providing new owners responsive ways to test their new trailers out.

Yes I agree.. AS should pay the new owner for QC'n the trailer... That is something that the FACTORY should do.. and not pitch it off to the Dealer to deal with by way of customer complaint when they take delivery.

Hats off to dealers who do provide customer service and satifaction. Now if AS would just send the parts out AOG... awaiting on Ground at the dealer...

I know of one such owner that has been waiting for a list of parts on their 2018 for over 2 months now.. and the response with the current dealer is... back ordered...

Bet if AS had to pay the new owner so much a day (say $100) or for a camping hut lodge/motel/hotel or another RV rental.. they just might get their act togeather.. but until it start costing them A/S for the new owner inconvience.. it still remains the owners problem.. the way it appears.

I can see where attorny's are rubbing their hands and drul'n over speculation of product performance liability in the near future... as the prices keep going up. Then you probably will see A/S start doing what they should have... or face the man in the black robe to answer why... the owner is not entitled to compensation...

Sad to say.. the same thing happened in the GA aircraft industry years ago... and really only a few got compensation... while the industry fell on its own sword...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #33
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Leaky shower and not enough television? Dude, sell your Classic. For $100k, you can get about 800 nights in a hotel room.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Best go to JC if you have to travel for service. Some dealers take parts off in stock units for quick repairs on someone else's unit. You may have bought a unit that, although new, had parts replaced to please someone else. You could be left with the defective part or the job not really completed.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Heard from JC this morning. Best they can do is August for warranty service. Now I’m really upset. Trading up to Classic 33 is biggest mistake I ever made. Poor or no QC and now AS won’t even stand behind their product.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I wouldn't go back to the old system. The Aldi works great, but there is a learning curve.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Naper....AGREED!!! After a bit of learning/tweaking, I LOVE our Alde system. I would never go back. Thread: ‘Much Ado About Alde’ is wonderful resource.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, the DEALER is part of he QA system on these trailers. He's part of the system on all RV's. They *should* check the systems on the trailer and get them tweaked before the sale. With a good dealer there. should be a walk through and a check of the various systems on the trailer at delivery. Any that aren't up to snuff should get tweaked just about on the spot. When a trailer goes back to the dealer and then sits there for a month to get a 20 minute caulk job on the door or a 15 minute tweak on the water.... that suggests a lot about the dealer ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
All getting better. JC made exception and getting us in June 15. Waiting for caulk to dry on shower surround.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree the selling dealer does have some culpability as they should be doing the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and correct any issues found.

The dealer however, good or bad, is still dependent on Airstream sending the required parts in a timely manner. I've heard a number of stories (2nd hand mind you) that Airstream is slow to process part claims sometimes and of course labor costs through the dealer network. I have also heard that Airstream can be difficult to work with from a dealer standpoint when dealing with warranty issues unless the issue is just so obviously egregious, which few (not all)of the issues talked about over the years are at that level.

If you are not fortunate enough to be able to take your trailer to Jackson Center, OH for warranty work (of course on your dime), you really are stuck at the mercy of this process. I feel it is just shameful that so many issues are found by the customer. To hear Airstream marketing, the trailers are magnificently assembled and "we service the heck out of our customers". This all great PR and in some cases there is some truth to those statements, but as many have found, the builds and QC varies widely. I really feel Airstream is selling a legacy. Here is this really cool looking trailer, but pay no attention to that installer/fabricator behind the curtain....as some of us have found out to our dismay later-- yet some come off the factory floor almost flawless. So I guess inconsistent would be a better word?!

Keep in mind although I am very, very hard on Airstream for their methods, I do think the folks at Jackson Center are generally good folks. Met a number of them over the years. But quite literally, I've been waving the QC flag now for over 15 years and sadly, not a whole lot has changed in that time except for the costs of the units along with different models. Virtually any forum member here could probably (in my opinion) do a better QC job than what has been done to date.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote