Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Big Stone Gap , Virginia
Two Qustions

What are the simple steps for winterizing a 2018 Classic without antifreeze and utilizing compressed air?

After winterizing ďwithout antifreeze ď but simply draining and blowing lines out can you run the Alde heating system.

Thank you for assisting the ignorant!
Chris & Sabrina

Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would not recommend running the Alde with an empty hot water tank. It may work, it may not work .... why be the first to find out it does not?

There have been reports that fully blowing out the Alde with compressed air is a bit of. a problem ( = you may not be able to do it).

Bob

Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Two Qustions

You may want to take your unit to an RV center and have it done.

But, if you want to do this, you need an adapter, garden hose male x 1/4 female pipe. Go to the hardware and they can set you up. Then add a Air barb to the 1/4 female pipe hole. This is so you can get air into the city water entrance. Then apply air itís regulated to 60 psi by the trailer. Then blow out each facet, toilet, shower and drains. Add anti freeze to the drains. Close bypass on hot water tank, remove drain plug and open PRV.
Donít forget to blow out the valves behind the wheels.

If you forget one item it will freeze and have to be fixed in the spring.

Taking it in to a camper store may not be a bad investment.

The Alde system is already filled with permanent anti-freeze so you donít have to do anything to it.

Its also in your owners manual.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
You may want to take your unit to an RV center and have it done.

But, if you want to do this, you need an adapter, garden hose male x 1/4 female pipe. Go to the hardware and they can set you up. Then add a Air barb to the 1/4 female pipe hole. This is so you can get air into the city water entrance. Then apply air itís regulated to 60 psi by the trailer. Then blow out each facet, toilet, shower and drains. Add anti freeze to the drains. Close bypass on hot water tank, remove drain plug and open PRV.
Donít forget to blow out the valves behind the wheels.

If you forget one item it will freeze and have to be fixed in the spring.

Taking it in to a camper store may not be a bad investment.

The Alde system is already filled with permanent anti-freeze so you donít have to do anything to it.

Its also in your owners manual.
Hi

The heater side of the Alde is filled with anti-freeze. The hot water side shares some portion of the heating system with the heater. The question I have is how much the heater side interacts thermally with the hot water. I would worry about a hotspot ....

Bob
Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Well, still don't have a good manual for the 2018 Alde, but the 2017 version says no problem running the heat with the domestic water system drained. Also says, don't run heat if you have filled domestic water system (boiler portion) with RV antifreeze. Your system has a boiler bypass, so supposedly, one might blow, drain, refill domestic water with RV antifreeze, while bypassing the boiler, and still use the heat.

Does your Alde Flow have a drain fitting?

If the water filter was installed for the kitchen sink, must reinstall the straight tube before blowing the tubing dry.

Disconnect and drain indoor and outside shower hoses. Mind those little black gaskets at the fittings don't roll away.

I just installed an oil bath for the toilet bowl valve tonight. That is about 1/2" of vegetable oil poured on top of the shut valve to keep the seals lubricated and seal the ball. Shouldn't freeze (or evaporate like RV antifreeze as mine did already) and won't deteriorate the seal as some have claimed the antifreeze does.

I also just blew out the black tank flush line; even though it's open on both ends, don't know if it's run to hold water (assume so). Might be too late, as we've had a few nights dipping into the high teens.

Had anyone got the Alde Flow to work? I digress.

You can buy that fitting ready made at RV store or Amazon that takes the standard 1/4" airhose quick disconnect.

If you can change the title of the thread to "2018 Classic Winterizing", all y'all can collect the good gouge for your slice of the AlumiNation.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
What James said. Running the 2017 Alde in winter is find and actually recommended by Alde with the Hot Water jacket eight filled with fresh water OR empty - but no RV Anti-Freeze. We did it last winter and everything worked fine.

We had the Alde on for in excess of a month as we delayed our FL trip by that much due to unforeseen circumstances and did not want to unload and re-load. So, empty hot water jacket, Alde heat at 70F. Then when we got to SC on our way should hooked up and filled the water system up including the hot water jacket.

James, I clean out the black and gray tanks as best I can at our last fall campground and then pour a gallon of RV Anti-freeze in both tanks, plus during winterization all traps.

Bud

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote