Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Queen to Twins

We are thinking about changing our Queen bed out for Twins. We had twin beds in our Oliver and enjoyed the open feel of having the aisle between them. Plus the extra storage and ease of getting to it will be a plus. I find the closets on each side of the bed are just about useless, plus the lower closet is not functional at all.

Most threads here are going the other way...Twin to Queen. Has anyone finished a Queen to Twin who is willing to share some information.

Our plan is to gut the bedroom when I replace the rotten plywood due to a leak in the bumper I just corrected. Have a cabinet shop make two boxes for the mattress to sit on and have large drawers made into the lower part of the box. WE already have Memory foam mattresses on the queen bed that will suffice for the twins. We will butt the box onto the bathroom, and shower bulkhead and use that end as our head board.

We are wrestling with how to fill the space that will be opened from removing the closets and how to achieve some clothes hanging space.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Did not do it, change trailers as any hanging closet would have covered the window on our 30' FC. The factory would have as well, I called them and talked with them about doing a change - $7,000 and they would partially cover the window and it would take a week. So, we sold our FC for what we paid for it and bought a Classic
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Thanks for the input. We have seen that a factory closet would cover the window and that is not acceptable as you found. Our configuration will be different from the factory eliminating the "closets " and substituting possibly some hanging rods.

We have done extensive remodeling already including a large solar system so replacing the unit is not an option.

When all is said and done we will prolly just repair the rotten floor and put it back together as a Queen, but it is fun to dream and plan, eh.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Dreaming is always fun. Enjoy.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Twins! We love our twins...the new pillowtop mattresses from airstream are very comfy. First factory rv mattresses we can sleep on and didn't throw out.

We sleep better than at home...go to http://www.ablifestyles.net/ for all your airstream twin bedding needs. Their sheets fit perfect and feel so nice. Not cheap but you get what you pay for...they stay put...they fit...they are easy to put on...they sleep comfy.

If you go to the website above...click on RV living...then click on Everything Airstream which is the second one down...have fun!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We left the Airstream twin mattresses at the Airstream assembly line for our 2014 Classic. We had ordered the 8" Rocky Mountain twin mattresses model made per the Airstream drawings. We had the 8" Rocky Mountain mattress model in our 2013 25FB International Serenity and really liked it.

The factory 600 thread custom sheets fit both trailer versions of the Rocky Mountain mattresses perfectly and are very cozy.

We put a 10" Rocky Mountain mattress in our 2015 23D International Serenity and really like it. Their custom sheets are not as good as the Airstreams, but the Airstream sheets would not fit on a 10" mattress.

In the future, if we elect to replace the twin 8" Rocky Mountain mattresses in the Classic with 10" Rocky Mountain models, I would make them about 4" or 6" longer to fit all the way into the rear curve and still cover the square plywood corner of the mattress support at the foot of the bed.

In our 2014 Classic, the twin mattresses could easily be nearly 12" longer if we were really tall folks. But we don't have the articulating mattress system either which could preclude longer mattresses.

Our experience with a 25FB, the Classic twins and the corner 23D mattresses point to a wrestling match changing sheets. So, we do not change them every other day like in commercial accomadations.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Changing sheets on the twins. I do it, and find it a pain, but doable. I simple take the mattress off the bed, stand between in the isle and move the mattress across the coach. Then I make the wall side of the bed, slip the mattress back in place, do the foot and the isle side and then do the other bed. The beds stay made until we change the sheets, which is not as often as at home.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Twins! We love our twins...the new pillowtop mattresses from airstream are very comfy. First factory rv mattresses we can sleep on and didn't throw out.

We sleep better than at home...go to http://www.ablifestyles.net/ for all your airstream twin bedding needs. Their sheets fit perfect and feel so nice. Not cheap but you get what you pay for...they stay put...they fit...they are easy to put on...they sleep comfy.

If you go to the website above...click on RV living...then click on Everything Airstream which is the second one down...have fun!

My wife and I feel the same way. The twin mattresses on the '17 Classic are unbelievably comfortable. We also sleep better than at home. Ordered sheets from AB Lifestyles as well...love them and they fit perfectly.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I am very picky about mattresses, the factory ones in 2015+ Classic's are decent for inexpensive units for casual use. I upgraded mine to full talallay rubber core with a down topper, but it was expensive.

As for twins vs queen, it was a no-brainer for me. Twins allow one contiguous aisle-way through the whole trailer, making it easier to move about and appear longer. Twin has much more storage space interior, exterior and less wasted floor space. Queen having open floor space on the front of the bed and two sides.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Only problem with Twins

We love the twin beds except for one issue. When it is cold outside getting anywhere close to the wall is problematic when sleeping.

We are trying to find something we can put around the side of the bed on the wall to provide a barrier to the metal. It probably would have to stick on the wall.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #31
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
We love the twin beds except for one issue. When it is cold outside getting anywhere close to the wall is problematic when sleeping.

We are trying to find something we can put around the side of the bed on the wall to provide a barrier to the metal. It probably would have to stick on the wall.
Have you tried the car windshield sun shields? They provide enough of a barrier and work for me. They fit between the mattress and wall, rise up high enough and don't need to be stuck on the wall. Reflectix bubble insulation may work too.