Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #61
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I love that idea, but is that even possible?

All the caps I've looked into would cover up the Ram Boxes and make them impossible to use, thus defeating their purpose (unless traveling with the cap off). If there's a way to have a cap and the Ram Boxes I'd love to hear it!
Good point DPRoberts. Probably not but wouldn't it be sweet ...

I suppose with the bed drawer and cap, and the right layout of storage boxes, you could achieve similar results but it surely wouldn't be as convenient.

My salesman is someone I've developed a strong rapport with and this was my fourth purchase ... he convinced me that I didn't need/want the RAM Boxes ... I didn't think I needed them until I saw Barry's set-up at Alumalina. The Ram boxes were very nice. That's where I also saw all of the caps and drawers and know that's how I wanted to configure in the future. I'd also probably switch my twin EU2000's to a single 3000 that would stay in the bed at all times... again not original thought ... just parroting was others are saying/doing.

Definitely too bad that it might not be possible to put a cap on the Ram boxes ...
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The Ramboxes are one of my favorite parts of our Ram 2500 Diesel. I keep all of our trailer set up stuff in them (leveled, stabilizer pads, jack pads, ProPride tools, wheel chocks, flat tire changing equipment, etc). When we get to the campsite everything need to get the trailer settled is convenient to get to without having to open unlock and open trailer storage bays or get in the truck bed.
After 39 years as a Ford dealer I hate to admit my 2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Limited is the best truck I have ever owned. Towing is a dream. BTW, never owned a Dodge of any type before this. The interior features, as well as, exterior features are incredibly well thought out.

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move On!
2017 Classic
2016 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 Diesel
ProPride 3p
Old 12-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
BakFlip for RamBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I love that idea, but is that even possible?

All the caps I've looked into would cover up the Ram Boxes and make them impossible to use, thus defeating their purpose (unless traveling with the cap off). If there's a way to have a cap and the Ram Boxes I'd love to hear it!
I use a BakFlip F1 bed cover - the version that is specific for RamBox. I have used it for a year and am very happy with it. Mine is a 4-section (tri-fold), hard cover that provides reasonable security and weather protection. BakFlip may offer other models now, so check with them if you are interested. On their website you can specify your TV year (eg., 2016), make (eg Dodge), model (Ram 2500/3500) and subtype (look for RamBox designation)
http://www.bakflip.com/?gclid=CPmJ0b...FYFnfgodDoMP6g
Old 12-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #64
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Agreed phann ... there are many tonneau covers that work with the Ram boxes; however the point was to address my desire to put a cap on Ramboxes ... it would appear that this isn't possible. Having a cap would allow a bed slide with enough vertical clearance to accommodate a larger generator as well as larger toolboxes/storage options
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #65
Capnttom

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
Just bought a new Ram 2500 CTD. now wife is happy. First step done.

Tom & Cathy
Looking for a new AS
2014 Roadtrek RS Adventurous
2015 Ram EcoDiesel
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I think it is important to differentiate use between constant (weekly or more) and occasional (less than 6 times a year) tow travel as well as location frequency in these discussions.

As I started to do some research into a new TV for the occasional towing of a new 30' Classic, I found this article on the internet yesterday that contained the facts derived from a side by side, max towing comparison between 5 different 2016 model year 1/2 ton trucks.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01...-overview.html

I will purchase a 3/4 ton diesel once we start to travel the country full time in 10 years. But for now, towing a 30' Classic 2-4 times per year in relatively flat terrain with a properly configured 1/2 ton truck that includes a WD/SC hitch set up combined with safe driving habits will be fine.

2015 22FB
2013 Honda Ridgeline
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We used to have a bed slide, no cap, just hard cover. Sold it as the bed slide took up 4" of height and we lost too much storage.

Now we have a Leer Cap and I've started looking around for a new slide. A friend of mine has a truck outfitter shop and sells bed slides and the ones in this link - cargo eze.

One of these offered comes all the way out so things in the front of the slide can be gotten easily, something I discovered with the bed slide could not be done.

http://cargo-ease.com/

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
The Ramboxes are one of my favorite parts of our Ram 2500 Diesel. I keep all of our trailer set up stuff in them (leveled, stabilizer pads, jack pads, ProPride tools, wheel chocks, flat tire changing equipment, etc). When we get to the campsite everything need to get the trailer settled is convenient to get to without having to open unlock and open trailer storage bays or get in the truck bed.
After 39 years as a Ford dealer I hate to admit my 2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Limited is the best truck I have ever owned. Towing is a dream. BTW, never owned a Dodge of any type before this. The interior features, as well as, exterior features are incredibly well thought out.

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move On!
2017 Classic
2016 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 Diesel
ProPride 3p

I'm another that is in love with Ramboxes. When I moved from my Ecodiesel Limited to 2500 CTD Limited for our Classic it was the main reason I stayed with RAM. I'm not sure I would be able to own another truck without them. Fwiw, I'm using a Bak RevolverX2.

I'm looking at moving to Propride setup this coming season. Any special sizing/setup advice that you can offer for use with Classic and 2500 CTD? Also, do you have air suspension?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
I'm another that is in love with Ramboxes. When I moved from my Ecodiesel Limited to 2500 CTD Limited for our Classic it was the main reason I stayed with RAM. I'm not sure I would be able to own another truck without them. Fwiw, I'm using a Bak RevolverX2.

I'm looking at moving to Propride setup this coming season. Any special sizing/setup advice that you can offer for use with Classic and 2500 CTD? Also, do you have air suspension?

I do not have the air suspension. Get the 1400 ProPride bars and read the ordering instructions really close. Measuring the height of your receiver is critical to getting the stinger drop made correctly. Mine is a 4X4 and was quite high compared to other trucks. I ended up speaking directly with the owner, Sean. They had to custom make my stinger. I think it was an extra $50. Anyway, call Sean and he will make sure you get the right setup. He's awesome! Best customer service I've ever received.
You will love towing with the ProPride!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the info, I'll work with Sean. Our truck is also 4x4 but I believe it sits lower because of the air suspension, especially in towing mode. The only thing that concerns me is the hitching-up process when at strange angles, compared to a ball that you can just drop it on......but as I've read, it just takes some practice.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll work with Sean. Our truck is also 4x4 but I believe it sits lower because of the air suspension, especially in towing mode. The only thing that concerns me is the hitching-up process when at strange angles, compared to a ball that you can just drop it on......but as I've read, it just takes some practice.

It's really quite easy. You can move the hitch head if necessary to accommodate any angle. My wife and I got it right on the first try. There is a seven or eight unit video on YouTube that really helps the learning curve on hooking up and disconnecting.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
It's really quite easy. You can move the hitch head if necessary to accommodate any angle. My wife and I got it right on the first try. There is a seven or eight unit video on YouTube that really helps the learning curve on hooking up and disconnecting.

I've watched those videos a few times but I'm suspecting some hands-on experience may still be in order
Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Yes No Maybe

Personal opinion, everyone has one. From years of towing I have learned 3 things, bigger is better, get the most grunt, and do not let what you are towing "PUSH" the tow vehicle. What you are towing or what you might tow in the future comes 1st, tow vehicle comes last. We bought a new 2017 Classic, now we needed a new truck. Look at Ford, GM, Ram. Pricing, maintenance, insurance, comfort, and tow rating. The advancements in trucks and cost was a eye opener! We settled on a 2016 RAM 3500 Heavy Duty 4 door long bed 4x4 w/Cummins 6.7. Not towing we get 22+ mpg, towing 11 to 18 mpg, not bad for a truck that weighs over 8k lbs. We shopped all over the US for best pricing. Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID. We got a 70k+ truck out the door w/WA State sale tax for just under 60k. Cost between a 3/4 ton & 1 ton is pennies, the ride difference is little if any, the tow rating is worlds apart. Good luck and safe travels. Best regards, sbowman.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Personal opinion, everyone has one. From years of towing I have learned 3 things, bigger is better, get the most grunt, and do not let what you are towing "PUSH" the tow vehicle. What you are towing or what you might tow in the future comes 1st, tow vehicle comes last. We bought a new 2017 Classic, now we needed a new truck. Look at Ford, GM, Ram. Pricing, maintenance, insurance, comfort, and tow rating. The advancements in trucks and cost was a eye opener! We settled on a 2016 RAM 3500 Heavy Duty 4 door long bed 4x4 w/Cummins 6.7. Not towing we get 22+ mpg, towing 11 to 18 mpg, not bad for a truck that weighs over 8k lbs. We shopped all over the US for best pricing. Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID. We got a 70k+ truck out the door w/WA State sale tax for just under 60k. Cost between a 3/4 ton & 1 ton is pennies, the ride difference is little if any, the tow rating is worlds apart. Good luck and safe travels. Best regards, sbowman.
We only buy Fords, but I do get safety recalls notices on anything with wheels. Your truck could be part of a large Dodge PU recall. So, you may want to be on the look out or check with your dealer. It's about possible water pump failure.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We only buy Fords, but I do get safety recalls notices on anything with wheels. Your truck could be part of a large Dodge PU recall. So, you may want to be on the look out or check with your dealer. It's about possible water pump failure.

Enjoy

Bud
Hello Bud,
Thanks for the heads up. Checked into recalls. We are good, no recalls to date. On another note, I was a Ford Truck guy for 40 years. My grandfathers were Ford Truck guys for as along as I can remember. Trust me, a lot of thought, research, and discussions took place before we settled on RAM.
Best regards, sbowman
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote