Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Ohio
Temperature differential front to rear

So we are the proud new owners of a 2019 classic 30. We took delivery and immediately headed to Washington DC via Pennsylvania. Had some cold nights in Pennsylvania down to 19°. DC is been around 30-32°. The Alde system is working flawlessly as far as I can tell. It maintains a constant temperature of 72° utilizing electricity and gas with electricity being prioritized.

My question is there is a 4° differential between the bedroom area (twin) and the front living area. The front living area is consistently 4° warmer. Is this typical? It is easily adjusted for if it is common for the size trailer.

I have read through the "much to do about Alde" thread and I have not found any specific discussion of a differential.

Thanks in advance, Ernie
ErnieDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Yes, normal. See #832 in Much Ado.
Cheers.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Yes, normal. See #832 in Much Ado.
Cheers.

I read this thread… It appears to be the inverse of the issue that I am indicating. My bedroom area is cooler by 4° than the main cabin. This thread seems to indicate the opposite.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Nope, same. Bedroom area cooler, just like at home, better for sleeping.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Raise temp until comfy in bedroom... will be warmer up front when you rise.
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yes, there is a way to calibrate and adjust temp but it’s standard to see the temp difference. Mine is 2 degrees.

Better than what it looked like pre alde. From what I understand it is not uncommon to see a 10+ degree difference between front and back.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Yes, there is a way to calibrate and adjust temp but it’s standard to see the temp difference. Mine is 2 degrees.

Better than what it looked like pre alde. From what I understand it is not uncommon to see a 10+ degree difference between front and back.

It is is easy to deal with... just wondering if it is typical!

Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My 2019 is 2 degrees cooler in the bedroom also. It was 4 degrees and I called John at AS customer support and he recommended bleeding the system again.

The twin Classics have a "rail" against the wall that needs partially removed to get to the bleed valves. If you pull back your mattress you can get to the rail. Remove the rear two screws so you can pivot the rear of the rail toward you so you can get to the valve.

John explained that the fluid takes a while to get to the rear and it cools as it flows to the rear of the trailer. Air bubbles can impede that flow. There are two bleeder valves behind the beds where the round vents are. Remove the three screws completely from the round vent and take it out rather than trying to reach into it with the cover off. It is much easier.

Bleeding my system a couple times has brought up the temps in the back to a two-degree difference. Also, remember to make your bed! if you cover the sides of the bed with your blankets, no heat gets to the side walls!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I had another thought. Set your priority to gas when you need to warm up the trailer quickly. If you are plugged into shore power the Aldi system will use the electricity almost exclusively with the electric prioritized set.

Make sure your "Load Monitor" accessory is turned on at the factory. You can add that accessory if it is not. Mine was not set up at the factory. Set your load to the amperage you have in the campground such as 50 amps.

Aldi told me the optimum glycol temperature for heating the trailer is 145 degrees or more (look in your service menu to see this reading). When temps outside are in the 50-60 range, the glycol may not get that hot and the bedroom can stay a lot cooler.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieDurbin View Post
So we are the proud new owners of a 2019 classic 30. We took delivery and immediately headed to Washington DC via Pennsylvania. Had some cold nights in Pennsylvania down to 19°. DC is been around 30-32°. The Alde system is working flawlessly as far as I can tell. It maintains a constant temperature of 72° utilizing electricity and gas with electricity being prioritized.

My question is there is a 4° differential between the bedroom area (twin) and the front living area. The front living area is consistently 4° warmer. Is this typical? It is easily adjusted for if it is common for the size trailer.

I have read through the "much to do about Alde" thread and I have not found any specific discussion of a differential.

Thanks in advance, Ernie
I've not measured as close as you have but. . . I'd say that is about it.
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #11

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , Tennessee
My Mark 1 - Mod 1 fix: I used a small 12V floor fan. It moved the air around nicely and helped equalized the fore/aft temps. Might help in the short-term.
jmsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
So, my question is, where did you park in DC?
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
And you heater is located where.... just one is never enough... you should put another heater in up front and one at the rear bed... that way you can have good climate control in both... of course AS doesn't kare... its a 3 season trailer now...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
Airstream'n Bachelor

2018 30' Classic
Pine Ridge , Florida
I would not recommend doing anything with your alde system. I also have a 30 classic. My experience is this the reason you have a 4 degree difference in the bedroom is that there is no insulation under the bed and it is open to the back storage area. With that much cold air having access under the bed there is no way it will be the same temperature as the front you will see this consistently. My experience is everything is working as designed. As someone else said just set your temperature a little higher and it will be warm in the bedroom and just a little bit warmer than you want it in the living room.
Kentbrookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #15
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
With 2 years experience with the Alde I found it helpful to remove the false shelf in the bedroom, the one under the rear window which allows the warmer air to flow into the bedroom unobstructed. Those little round vents don’t allow enough circulation, IMO. Keeping the day/night shades down and moving the mattress and bedding away from the walls about a half inch also helps. I’m not going to worry too much about 2 degrees, now 10 degree difference would be worth investigating.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

What are you using to measure the temperature difference? If you are looking at the onboard temperature indicators, that's probably not the best thing to use. If you are moving
a thermometer around in the trailer, exactly *where* you put it matters a lot. I can easily see a couple degrees as I move a thermometer around in any RV I've ever been in.

The simple answer (if it bothers you) is as noted above, get a small fan. I happen to like Vornado fans, but there are a lot of makes and models out there. We run one or more fans in the trailer any time we are on shore power. When we are on battery, we often play with windows and the Fantastic Fan in the ceiling.

One other note, made indirectly above - keeping the outdoor locker covers tightly closed *is* a really good idea when it gets cold. You get a bit of a cold draft at night if one is ....errr.... not shut .... I have data on this ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Nope, same. Bedroom area cooler, just like at home, better for sleeping.
Ditto here, bedroom area 4 degrees cooler and liking it.
P
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #18
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Also, if you know you’re going to be in colder climate for any length of time it might be a good idea to add insulation to the back wall and tops of the exterior storage compartments. I know in my ‘17 it’s quite drafty under the beds. I store clothes in the drawers which helps a little but I guess I should add a little more insulation myself. I also keep a small fan going on low speed just to help circulate the air and leave the bathroom door open with the door under the sink open. Now I don’t do this every night but when it’s single digits every bit of heat helps.
I always have two small ceramic heaters just in case. I only had to use them when the AS was brand new and no one knew how to get the Alde working but I won’t go without them.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentbrookin View Post
I would not recommend doing anything with your alde system. I also have a 30 classic. My experience is this the reason you have a 4 degree difference in the bedroom is that there is no insulation under the bed and it is open to the back storage area. With that much cold air having access under the bed there is no way it will be the same temperature as the front you will see this consistently. My experience is everything is working as designed. As someone else said just set your temperature a little higher and it will be warm in the bedroom and just a little bit warmer than you want it in the living room.
You can always lower the main area temp after you get up.
Like JM noted it is better for sleeping to have the bedroom a bit cooler.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
RTT

Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Raise temp until comfy in bedroom... will be warmer up front when you rise.
I had the exact same thing in my 2017 Flying Cloud 25ft. front bedroom Assuming the furnace set up is similar, try my fix.

I removed the living area vent cover, which was closest to the actual furnace, and cut a piece of scrap aluminum to cover half of the vent opening on the back of the cover.. Duct taped it in place, and reinstalled the cover. It looks exactly as it did before, but only allows half of the air flow.

Now, all areas of the trailer are the same temp. as set on the thermostat.
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote