Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
Smart App and Router WiFi Network Issues

I have a 2019 Classic with the router that comes with it. I also have installed the Airstream Smart app and successfully connected to the router. When I try and setup the Network wifi in the app and select any of the available wifis the app sees, I get an error:

Couldn't connect to network
There maybe a problem with this network

I can connect to any of these wifi from any of my other devices without issues.

I also have a Verizon Eclipse Jetpack wifi that I can successfully connect to without issue. But the smart app doesn't see the Jetpack wifi at all.

What am I doing wrong or is this an issue with either the Smart app or the router or both?

spotted_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_dog View Post
I have a 2019 Classic with the router that comes with it. I also have installed the Airstream Smart app and successfully connected to the router. When I try and setup the Network wifi in the app and select any of the available wifis the app sees, I get an error:

I also have a Verizon Eclipse Jetpack wifi that I can successfully connect to without issue. But the smart app doesn't see the Jetpack wifi at all.

What am I doing wrong or is this an issue with either the Smart app or the router or both?
Airstream may have turned off your wifi over WAN as this feature causes the Peplink wifi to slow to about one-tenth what it should be. Does your cell service work for you? Did you sign up for an account with ATT?

Read my post in "Flight of the AirDreamer" to learn lots about the hotspot! PM me for more details.

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Quote:

Have you set up an account with AT&T by signing in to ATT.net/airstream?
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
Auto Registration with ATT

When you use the Airstream Smart app, it has you read the QR code on the router. That setups an auto registration with a free 1 year trial of the ATT service. We are in an area where, even with the boost signal that is suppose to be built in to the unit, we are able to use the Airstream Wifi from the router (it's just very slow). I also received an email verifying successful registration.

What I am trying to do now through the Smart app is setup the alternate Wifi for the router and this is where the problem is occurring.

I will take a look at the posting mentioned above to see if there is anything there that will help or answer my problem.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
PM me and I will hook you up with Jason. He is the project manager on the smart system. Get ready for a ride.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
I read your posting. All 17 pages. Very informative indeed! All of our devices (laptops, iPhones, iPads). After reading everything you had, I ended up attaching an Apple Airport Extreme to the Pepwave via the LAN/WAN port with a Cat 5e cable. Since doing that, everything rocks! I can now stream videos via Amazon Prime and Netflix on the LG projector . It's awesome. Thanks for your help and all the info from you and everyone else that replied to your thread.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I read your posting. All 17 pages. Very informative indeed! All of our devices (laptops, iPhones, iPads). After reading everything you had, I ended up attaching an Apple Airport Extreme to the Pepwave via the LAN/WAN port with a Cat 5e cable. Since doing that, everything rocks! I can now stream videos via Amazon Prime and Netflix on the LG projector . It's awesome. Thanks for your help and all the info from you and everyone else that replied to your thread.
Yep! There is a flaw in the Airstream smart system but a fix that is pretty easy and inexpensive to get incredible performance. Maybe Airstream will fix this, but I'm past that after spending three months (hmmm . maybe 4?) working on it. I'm moving on with this and it will outperform the peplink every time.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Airstream may have turned off your wifi over WAN as this feature causes the Peplink wifi to slow to about one-tenth what it should be. Does your cell service work for you? Did you sign up for an account with ATT?

Read my post in "Flight of the AirDreamer" to learn lots about the hotspot! PM me for more details.
turk123, I've been reading up on your troubles with airstream. I'm interested because I just bought a 2019 Classic (I take possession of it next week. In particular, I was interested in the issue where the system checks about once a second for the WiFi-Wan connectivity.

Have you spoken to the Airstream techs about that issue specifically? I'm wondering because I downloaded the pepwave manual from their web site and there is a setting where you can adjust how often that health check occurs. (It's on page 80 of the current manual -> "Health Check Interval")

Anyway, I think a better solution, rather than just turning the WiFi-Wan off, would be to activate the second Wan/Lan port as an Ethernet Wan and using a secondary radio to set up WiFi-wan through that port. That way, you could retain the default control over the WiFi-lan and just turn your secondary radio on/off when you want WiFi-wan or not.

They would still need to put a reasonable health check interval setting in there, but it would get rid of pretty much all of the other problems. As an additional benefit, if you are in a park where you have access to an actual Ethernet port (such as when it is parked at my house), you get decent speed.

I wonder who I would need to talk to at airstream to make these suggestions to them?

BTW, I do wireless networking for a living.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
turk123, I've been reading up on your troubles with airstream. I'm interested because I just bought a 2019 Classic (I take possession of it next week. In particular, I was interested in the issue where the system checks about once a second for the WiFi-Wan connectivity.

Have you spoken to the Airstream techs about that issue specifically? I'm wondering because I downloaded the pepwave manual from their web site and there is a setting where you can adjust how often that health check occurs. (It's on page 80 of the current manual -> "Health Check Interval")

Anyway, I think a better solution, rather than just turning the WiFi-Wan off, would be to activate the second Wan/Lan port as an Ethernet Wan and using a secondary radio to set up WiFi-wan through that port. That way, you could retain the default control over the WiFi-lan and just turn your secondary radio on/off when you want WiFi-wan or not.

They would still need to put a reasonable health check interval setting in there, but it would get rid of pretty much all of the other problems. As an additional benefit, if you are in a park where you have access to an actual Ethernet port (such as when it is parked at my house), you get decent speed.

I wonder who I would need to talk to at airstream to make these suggestions to them?

BTW, I do wireless networking for a living.
There is only one radio in the Peplink modem (2.6 GHz). They are sharing it when they turn on the wifi as WAN and the modem searches every two seconds for a signal (campground). It is horrible. The health check is something else as Peplink has to change the firmware to search at a slower interval. You nor Airstream can change it.

Airstream is now well aware of the problem. The last report I sent them confirmed that the searches for WiFi as WAN where choking the cell network.

So have them shut off the WiFi as WAN for now and it will really improve your speed. You don't need it anyway. The cell performance is stellar!

I believe Airstream will eventually change to the Peplink Wave mini mkII which does have 2 radios. They can then use one radio for "campground" mode (2.6) and one radio for the cell (5 ghz).

By the way, you have no control over the modem. Airstream has it locked and you do not have the password. Add the second dual band wireless router to the ethernet port as I've explained earlier. You will love yourself for it!

Old 03-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Crested Butte , Colorado
turk123,
Remind me which router you bought? Everything on Amazon looks huge.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
tp link dual band router. $49 retail, $17 frys on sale

Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Crested Butte , Colorado
turk123
Where did you get power for the router? I pulled off the side panel after pulling the router cover off. Lots of wires in there, some not connected, none labeled. Looks like another AS rat's nest.
There is a power distribution block on the back of the side panel with fuses. Anything in there 110? Or did you clip off the wall wart connect it to a 5v supply some place?
Old 04-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
If you look at the PDF I posted it describes the installation. Maybe Peter can find the link again.

That panel with fuses is where you tie in. You do cut off the transformer. If your router is 5v you will have to get a device to convert 12v to 5v and add that to the fray.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
This is the wireless router I user at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC120...s%2C166&sr=8-5