Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Airstream emailed me back today. You can actually delete them, it's just not intuitive.

Normally, you would "swipe left" to delete an item in the iPhone world.

On the app, there is an "edit" link in the upper right hand corner on the screen that lists all of your scheduled events. Click that and you can then delete the items you don't want. It's easy, it just doesn't match the rest of the apps on the phone so it wasn't intuitive.

kudos to Jason K. at airstream for pointing that out to me.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:24 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Airstream emailed me back today. You can actually delete them, it's just not intuitive.

Normally, you would "swipe left" to delete an item in the iPhone world.

On the app, there is an "edit" link in the upper right hand corner on the screen that lists all of your scheduled events. Click that and you can then delete the items you don't want. It's easy, it just doesn't match the rest of the apps on the phone so it wasn't intuitive.

kudos to Jason K. at airstream for pointing that out to me.
Good info, thanks. I think they are learning as they are going also. There are going to continue to be growing pains going forward. I guess we just need to hang in there until it irons itself out.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:06 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Naples , Florida
Weak AT&T cellular and No campground WIFI from Inside :0(

Hello,
I just purchased our 2019 Classic 33 FBT. So Happy. However, we will be living in it FT soon in a campground in FL close to our work locations and find that our Pepwave Max BR1 Mini is getting a very weak ATT signal and can't find our RV park's wifi will in the trailer. Our phones do get the wifi of the RV park when outside the trailer. When we try to turn on wifi from the Smart app it doesn't find the wifi signal. Can someone assist? I hear there is a 17 page document out there with some helpful information "flight of the airdreamers" but can't find it. I need a lesson on how to navigate the forum I'm guessing.
Is there something I can purchase that I can plug into the Pepwave router that will at least get me to the campground's wifi while in our classic?

Thanks Much,
Den and Flo
2020 GMC 2500 Diesel
2019 Classic 33 FBT
DenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Hey turk123's thread is at
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...st-187275.html
After you read it, PM him. He is probably one of the most knowledgeable about the PEPWave which is indeed a messed up router.
You may be in a bit of a catch 22 at the moment. The PEPWave needs a strong signal before it will update. It needs to update to the latest firmware over the air.
You could call Airstream tech support and ask for help (used to be Jason). They can look at your PEPWave from their end to determine if it is up to date.
My experience has been that the setup's AT&T antenna is poorly designed. It needs a very strong signal to function. The wifi repeater works fine but most campground wifi systems just stink.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Naples , Florida
Thank for the info. Appreciate it. I need internet!! Ugh!
DenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tracy , CA
Pepwave Router Performance

Hello. New here, but have been doing some reading through this thread and Turk123 from 2019.

We took delivery of our 2021 Classic 30RBT a few weeks ago. Parked it at home for the first 10 days to setup and test capability to support my work before taking it on the road. Setup ATT service and able to connect to internet through the router - small win! Problem #1 - the Smart app is not able to control, monitor, or find our AS - still showing it located at the dealer. The app can only connect to the router from the trailer WiFi and still not able to control, monitor, or update the location. Problem #2 - router performance - ATT speed tests come in around 10Mbps while getting 40-50 Mbps via cell phone. So thought to try the WiFi from my house through the router - again speed tests significantly reduced so thought why not try directly from the laptop bypassing the router not expecting any signal from inside the AS. Surprised to find the laptop can, not only connect from within the AS but perform 4 to 5 times faster than through the router and antennae. So I am baffled...isn't the purpose of the antennae and router to bring the signal in from outside the trailer and pass the bandwidth through to the devices connected to the router within the trailer? How can the router possibly have a worse connection and perform so poorly? Reported both issues to customer support without any response for over a week before escalating. Finally connected with a person at the factory who assessed that their system has not 'seen' the trailer since it was delivered to the dealer in November. As such he is assuming the router is defective and shipping me a new router this week.

While I am hoping that this will address both the connection and performance problems, after reading through some of the posts here I am concerned and skeptical. I remain somewhat optimistic as many of the post I have read have been from 2018/2019. Is this the correct forum for the topic? Has AS resolved the issues documented by Turk123 or are folks still installing a separate WiFi router to bypass the Pepwave WiFi? Would a wired connection to the Pepwave from laptop provide more speed through both cellular internet or WiFi internet?

Logically I was expecting some minor performance hit for passing the data/connection through the antennae/router to get it into the trailer - maybe 10% or 5 Mbps - but for the speed to be reduced by 75 to 80% through the antennae/router can reduce a slower, useable connection to a practically useless connection - especially for Teams/Zoom calls where I spend much of my workday.

Curious to learn if this remains a widespread issue with the factory installed Classic network hardware or if I am just the lucky one with a defective router.

One other question that almost certainly does not belong in this thread - the manual states I should be able to play my television audio through the trailer audio system, but the dealer is telling me that the manual is incorrect. There is definitely not an audio connection from the TV back to the Fusion, but I am unclear as to whether this is a factory defect or outdated documentation.

Would greatly appreciate any information or redirect. Seems like a very engaged and experienced group on this forum!
Fandangoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandangoble View Post
Hello. New here, but have been doing some reading through this thread and Turk123 from 2019.

We took delivery of our 2021 Classic 30RBT a few weeks ago. Parked it at home for the first 10 days to setup and test capability to support my work before taking it on the road. Setup ATT service and able to connect to internet through the router - small win! Problem #1 - the Smart app is not able to control, monitor, or find our AS - still showing it located at the dealer. The app can only connect to the router from the trailer WiFi and still not able to control, monitor, or update the location. Problem #2 - router performance - ATT speed tests come in around 10Mbps while getting 40-50 Mbps via cell phone. So thought to try the WiFi from my house through the router - again speed tests significantly reduced so thought why not try directly from the laptop bypassing the router not expecting any signal from inside the AS. Surprised to find the laptop can, not only connect from within the AS but perform 4 to 5 times faster than through the router and antennae. So I am baffled...isn't the purpose of the antennae and router to bring the signal in from outside the trailer and pass the bandwidth through to the devices connected to the router within the trailer? How can the router possibly have a worse connection and perform so poorly? Reported both issues to customer support without any response for over a week before escalating. Finally connected with a person at the factory who assessed that their system has not 'seen' the trailer since it was delivered to the dealer in November. As such he is assuming the router is defective and shipping me a new router this week.

While I am hoping that this will address both the connection and performance problems, after reading through some of the posts here I am concerned and skeptical. I remain somewhat optimistic as many of the post I have read have been from 2018/2019. Is this the correct forum for the topic? Has AS resolved the issues documented by Turk123 or are folks still installing a separate WiFi router to bypass the Pepwave WiFi? Would a wired connection to the Pepwave from a laptop provide more speed through both cellular internet or WiFi internet?

Logically I was expecting some minor performance hit for passing the data/connection through the antennae/router to get it into the trailer - maybe 10% or 5 Mbps - but for the speed to be reduced by 75 to 80% through the antennae/router can reduce a slower, useable connection to a practically useless connection - especially for Teams/Zoom calls where I spend much of my workday.

Curious to learn if this remains a widespread issue with the factory installed Classic network hardware or if I am just the lucky one with a defective router.

One other question that almost certainly does not belong in this thread - the manual states I should be able to play my television audio through the trailer audio system, but the dealer is telling me that the manual is incorrect. There is definitely not an audio connection from the TV back to the Fusion, but I am unclear as to whether this is a factory defect or outdated documentation.

Would greatly appreciate any information or redirect. Seems like a very engaged and experienced group on this forum!
Hello! When hooking your laptop to the ethernet port on the Peplink, you are not bypassing the Peplink, but you are bypassing the Peplinks WiFi system and are connecting directly to the internet the same as if you would plug into your router in your house. The Peplink's weakness is that it only has a 2.4Ghz radio in it. By hooking directly to the Peplink through the ethernet port you theoretically can run at 100Mb/sec. You are bypassing the radio.

This is why you can plug a multi-band router into that same port, and get twice or more the speed (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio). Do you follow?

So for the fastest speed possible, run an ethernet cable from your laptop to the Peplink, or the next best thing, add a second router (my TP Link was $17!)

As for your phone being faster, most phones today use multi-tower connections. The iPhone does this. It is able to use up to three towers to get much more bandwidth. It is not a good comparison to use as it uses totally different technology. You will never get those speeds out of an industrial modem.

So why does Airstream use this Peplink model? Well, they are asking themselves that from day one. Is it a good modem? Quite frankly, yes. It is bulletproof. It can take extreme heat or cold and was designed for fleets of cars or trucks and in police cars. Why does it not have 2 radio bands of WiFi? Well, we found out that it was not a priority for the customers Peplink had. Police cars hook their laptops to the modem directly. They don't even use the radio in the Peplink.

About your connection to the trailer smart system. Have you setup your account with Airstream? The trailer is sold to the dealers with one hour of use time so they can demonstrate the product to a prospective customer. You have to activate your account to be able to use it.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tracy , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
About your connection to the trailer smart system. Have you setup your account with Airstream?
Hello Turk123,

Thanks for your response and information. Yes, indeed, I do have an account setup. AS has assessed the router to be defective and sent me a new one. Now I am just waiting for them to help provision it to the trailer. Then I can work on the performance issues.

While not well stated, my point was intended to be that we are now over 2 years beyond your first identification and escalation of some of these issues. Expecting AS should have resolved some of them with the 2021 model installs and so wondering if others in the community with later models are also still experiencing issues. There must be others living/working full time in a Classic with this tech, relying on it's performance.

I'll plan to update when the new router is functioning and what the performance is at that time.

Regards.
Fandangoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:49 AM   #89
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Dawsonville , Georgia
Airstream PEP Wave (not)

So after many attempts SOLVED my 2019 1/2 (30 Classic) AS PEP Wave (not) issue.

Simple, the PEP Wave is very WEAK as a router.

I installed WE BOOST on antenna stick off my bike rack. Easy to raise upon arrival.

WE BOOST is great and provides for great indoor cell signals, for my telephones (irregardless of cell carrier - We BOOST actually pulls in cell signals from ANY carrier) and my HOT SPOT.

That’s right, my ATT hot spot, mounted next to the WE BOOST interior antenna, gets strong cell signal and is a very good “router” capable of streaming and great internet connections!

Forget the AS PEP WAVE, it just will never provide a strong router signal. I use the PEP WAVE for remote monitoring, turning things on-off, etc..

Cheers
UnConnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnConnected View Post
So after many attempts SOLVED my 2019 1/2 (30 Classic) AS PEP Wave (not) issue.

Simple, the PEP Wave is very WEAK as a router.

I installed WE BOOST on antenna stick off my bike rack. Easy to raise upon arrival.

WE BOOST is great and provides for great indoor cell signals, for my telephones (irregardless of cell carrier - We BOOST actually pulls in cell signals from ANY carrier) and my HOT SPOT.

That’s right, my ATT hot spot, mounted next to the WE BOOST interior antenna, gets strong cell signal and is a very good “router” capable of streaming and great internet connections!

Forget the AS PEP WAVE, it just will never provide a strong router signal. I use the PEP WAVE for remote monitoring, turning things on-off, etc..

Cheers

Hello All,

I have searched and read for a couple of hours and am unable to find answers to my questions below…I am sure they are out there, I just can’t find them.

I have a 2021 Classic 33. We have experienced a multitude of problems with the technology. After initially getting it all set up and working, we blew threw the 100 GB of ATT data in about 7 days with no streaming. While that’s a different issue, I have yet to be able to figure out how any of you exist on a data plan and stream anything. We have followed all the advice about settings on our devices and have even tried to monitor what our devices are doing with no success. Consequently we have arrived at the point where the following is our setup:

1. We have a T-Mobil MiFI 5G hotspot with 100GB of data/month for $50. We only hook my work laptop (MAC) to it when absolutely required and nothing else. On my last 7 day run, I used 38GB of data doing that. Again limited use, no streaming, mostly just doing email and internet cloud applications. No Skype or video calls.

2. I purchased a T-Mobil SIM card with 5GB of data monthly and installed it in the Pepwave where the AT&T card previously lived. We do not attach to the Airstream network (not enough data) and use this only so that our Smart app will work for remote control.

3. Our non-work related activities (emails, internet surfing, social media) are either conducted via the cellular data plan on the phone’s account, utilizing the 20GB of WiFi data from the truck, or the campground WIFI (rare).

So here are my questions…sorry in advance that I am not as technical now as I might once have been:

1. Given my operating parameters above, is there any way to utilize the technology to gather and rebroadcast the camp WiFi signal inside the coach WITHOUT logging on to the Airstream WiFi account that is powered by the low GB T-Mobil SIM? Based on all I have read, I am feeling like this is not possible but I admit I am fairly confused.

2. Doesn’t the technology also have the ability to “boost” cellular within the trailer? Not sure about this and if yes, not sure it’s ever worked on our unit.

3. Would installing a 2nd router discussed in this thread solve for issue 1?

4. And lastly, I realize this next question is akin to asking about what TV or hitch…so not wanting to start a firestorm…but, in our previous AS, we utilized a WeBoost system on a mast attached to the bike rack with a directional antenna to boost cell signals inside. This was primarily to drive better connectivity with our hotspot and yes, our phones. It definitely worked and provided a significantly better cellular signal than when it was off. We sold that tech with our last trailer believing there was no need for it in this one…would be duplicative to the tech already built in. Now, we are believing that we do need it again. Obviously, this question is tied to number 2.

I appreciate any insight and thought that you may provide!
Old 09-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #91
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmassey321 View Post
Hello All,

I have searched and read for a couple of hours and am unable to find answers to my questions below…I am sure they are out there, I just can’t find them.

I have a 2021 Classic 33. We have experienced a multitude of problems with the technology. After initially getting it all set up and working, we blew threw the 100 GB of ATT data in about 7 days with no streaming. While that’s a different issue, I have yet to be able to figure out how any of you exist on a data plan and stream anything. We have followed all the advice about settings on our devices and have even tried to monitor what our devices are doing with no success. Consequently we have arrived at the point where the following is our setup:

1. We have a T-Mobil MiFI 5G hotspot with 100GB of data/month for $50. We only hook my work laptop (MAC) to it when absolutely required and nothing else. On my last 7 day run, I used 38GB of data doing that. Again limited use, no streaming, mostly just doing email and internet cloud applications. No Skype or video calls.

2. I purchased a T-Mobil SIM card with 5GB of data monthly and installed it in the Pepwave where the AT&T card previously lived. We do not attach to the Airstream network (not enough data) and use this only so that our Smart app will work for remote control.

3. Our non-work related activities (emails, internet surfing, social media) are either conducted via the cellular data plan on the phone’s account, utilizing the 20GB of WiFi data from the truck, or the campground WIFI (rare).

So here are my questions…sorry in advance that I am not as technical now as I might once have been:

1. Given my operating parameters above, is there any way to utilize the technology to gather and rebroadcast the camp WiFi signal inside the coach WITHOUT logging on to the Airstream WiFi account that is powered by the low GB T-Mobil SIM? Based on all I have read, I am feeling like this is not possible but I admit I am fairly confused.

2. Doesn’t the technology also have the ability to “boost” cellular within the trailer? Not sure about this and if yes, not sure it’s ever worked on our unit.

3. Would installing a 2nd router discussed in this thread solve for issue 1?

4. And lastly, I realize this next question is akin to asking about what TV or hitch…so not wanting to start a firestorm…but, in our previous AS, we utilized a WeBoost system on a mast attached to the bike rack with a directional antenna to boost cell signals inside. This was primarily to drive better connectivity with our hotspot and yes, our phones. It definitely worked and provided a significantly better cellular signal than when it was off. We sold that tech with our last trailer believing there was no need for it in this one…would be duplicative to the tech already built in. Now, we are believing that we do need it again. Obviously, this question is tied to number 2.

I appreciate any insight and thought that you may provide!
Hi

Data usage:

The line between streaming and "web browsing" is not as clear as it once was. There are a *lot* of web sites that feed you all sorts of video just because they can. Ads these days can be closer to movies than the old "flat page" approach from decades ago. An ad blocker is your first line of defense.

Here at home, we go through about 500 to 900 GB in a typical month. If you are running 100 GB a day, there *is* a reason why. Software updates overnight are one very real possibility. There are hundreds of other things it could be.

Campground WiFi:

In 5+ years of doing this, we probably have been at a over a hundred campgrounds that provide WiFi. I can not remember a single one that provided adequate connectivity ( as in for email) throughout our stay. I can only remember two that provided adequate connectivity for > 80% of the time.

This is with a fancy WiFi booster and all sorts of this and that. The campgrounds that "did the job" provided an adequate signal without any boosters or external antennas involved. The rest failed the test no matter what was used.

The problem is rarely (if ever) signal strength on campground WiFi. The gotcha is the connection they have from their office to the local internet provider. It simply does not and can not have enough bandwidth to handle the load. No amount of local signal boosting will have any impact on this.

Multiple carriers:

If you need connectivity for work, you will need a plan with all three of the big guys. There is no way to be sure that this or that campsite can hit this or that carrier. Indeed there are campsites that have zero access to any carrier, no matter what sort of rig you set up.

Again, this often is not a signal strength issue. The local tower may simply be overloaded. Go park in town a block from the tower and you still can't do anything. The beast is simply overloaded. They put a priority on voice calls over data so you loose out.

So lots of twists and turns. What you run into is highly dependent on where you are.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #92

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Linden , Michigan
Smart Control Not Loading on radio

I just purchased a Airstream Autobahn Sprinter. I go into the browser on the radio to access the Smart Control. The browser tries to load the IP address, but is unsuccessful. There is a router in the overhead, but I am not sure if it is the original or not. I can not find a QR code anywhere on the RV to try to use the mobile app.
NCexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:50 PM   #93
Jwf
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 33' Classic
Ashburn , VA
Has there been any new updates on this issue. Did a firmware come out to address these issues or a TSB that I can reference when talking to my dealer about poor WiFi?
Jwf is offline   Reply With Quote