Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Wait a second here. AT&T no more made the modem in the Airstream than they made an iPhone. When the screen on your iPhone cracks, you take it back to Apple. AT&T (or Verizon) is *not* going to fix that broken screen. Same thing here, what's broke needs to be fixed by the folks that made it (Peplink).

Bob
Bob, I don't think UnConnected is saying that AT&T owns the issue. The statement was that Airstream should "own this issue, get with AT&T, resolve it with a recall..."

But in actuality Airstream needs to continue to work with Peplink, who provides the cellular modem that uses an AT&T sim to talk to the AT&T network for connectivity.

I am traveling west to east this week. Airstream Connected has been functional but I think a Airstream should consider offering either AT&T or Verizon.

In my experience AT&T works best out East and Verizon works best in the West.

Heck - take it a step further - TWO sims, one AT&T and the other Verizon!
Old 05-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post

In my experience, AT&T works best out East and Verizon works best in the West.

The Peplink BR1 Mini supports two sims and auto switching. Technically you could have two providers and choose the stronger of the two or when one plan is used up for the month, you could switch to the other plan.

That is how users that need solid internet for their traveling business have done it for several years.

Too bad we cannot get into the Peplink's user interface.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Too bad we cannot get into the Peplink's user interface.
You can, you just lose access to the airstream app apparently. You can reset the Peplink to factory defaults and assume full control over it.

I may be in that situation right now, though I haven't touched the Peplink. If I'm on a local WiFi connection to the trailers system, I can access all of the features just fine. The moment I'm on a remote connection (like from home or if I turn WiFi off while at the trailer), the location information works, but it tells me the trailer is offline (even when it is powered).

Airstream had me call AT&T because they said they can see it just fine. AT&T said their part was working fine. They want me to remove the app and reinstall. I'll do that today, but I don't see how that is the problem. All of my phones are experiencing the same issue.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
You can, you just lose access to the airstream app apparently. You can reset the Peplink to factory defaults and assume full control over it.

I may be in that situation right now, though I haven't touched the Peplink. If I'm on a local WiFi connection to the trailers system, I can access all of the features just fine. The moment I'm on a remote connection (like from home or if I turn WiFi off while at the trailer), the location information works, but it tells me the trailer is offline (even when it is powered).

Airstream had me call AT&T because they said they can see it just fine. AT&T said their part was working fine. They want me to remove the app and reinstall. I'll do that today, but I don't see how that is the problem. All of my phones are experiencing the same issue.
It's a bug. After leaving your trailer after using the software, the next time you use the software it tries to get the information locally again. Close the app, hit your airplane mode or shut off wifi, then turn on airplane mode and open the app. It should work. I see this all the time after I leave the trailer.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
It's a bug. After leaving your trailer after using the software, the next time you use the software it tries to get the information locally again. Close the app, hit your airplane mode or shut off wifi, then turn on airplane mode and open the app. It should work. I see this all the time after I leave the trailer.
That didn't work. Removing the app and re-installing didn't work either. I'm going to have to call Airstream again on Monday.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:37 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Bob, I don't think UnConnected is saying that AT&T owns the issue. The statement was that Airstream should "own this issue, get with AT&T, resolve it with a recall..."

But in actuality Airstream needs to continue to work with Peplink, who provides the cellular modem that uses an AT&T sim to talk to the AT&T network for connectivity.

I am traveling west to east this week. Airstream Connected has been functional but I think a Airstream should consider offering either AT&T or Verizon.

In my experience AT&T works best out East and Verizon works best in the West.

Hi

The phrase used was:

" ... get with AT&T, resolve it with a recall, etc ....."

Indeed that *is* saying that AT&T is part of the fix.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The phrase used was:

" ... get with AT&T, resolve it with a recall, etc ....."

Indeed that *is* saying that AT&T is part of the fix.

Bob

My point was “own” vs “involved”. Agree they are part of the fix.... but Airstream should own the issue.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
So I have read through the posts about the internet connectivity issues. And I have similar problems. Although, I have done some streaming of video from the tv at least once.

I just want to be sure I have the steps necessary to get it working with the wireless router work around.

1. You have to call AS to turn off the WAN over WiFi. (This is the whole point for me. Campground wifi is useless!) Just call Customer Service or do you have to get to someone specific?

2. Then you buy a wireless router that you plug into the Ethernet port on the existing Peplink. Is there any way to buy an incompatible router? Models are always changing. Is there specifications to be aware of?

3. You have follow the directions to get it power from inside the wall from the preflight post with the pictures. This is the most intimidating aspect of the whole thing. Hopefully, the pictures will do the trick. Any specific tools necessary for the wiring aspect besides the screwdriver that gets you into the area?

4. You configure the new router to provide WiFi within the trailer with the increased speed and device connectivity.

5. If for some reason you want campground WiFi, you merely direct you device to the alternative WiFi.

Does this summary the steps or have I missed something?

I need some extended time at the trailer to make this work and my school vacation doesn’t start for another month and a half! Until then our unlimited Verizon plan probably won’t be overtaxed with just being there on the weekends.

Thanks for all the help. Speaker and subwoofers will come after internet connectivity and shower leak!

Amy
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
So I have read through the posts about the internet connectivity issues. And I have similar problems. Although, I have done some streaming of video from the tv at least once.

I just want to be sure I have the steps necessary to get it working with the wireless router work around.

1. You have to call AS to turn off the WAN over WiFi. (This is the whole point for me. Campground wifi is useless!) Just call Customer Service or do you have to get to someone specific?

2. Then you buy a wireless router that you plug into the Ethernet port on the existing Peplink. Is there any way to buy an incompatible router? Models are always changing. Is there specifications to be aware of?

3. You have follow the directions to get it power from inside the wall from the preflight post with the pictures. This is the most intimidating aspect of the whole thing. Hopefully, the pictures will do the trick. Any specific tools necessary for the wiring aspect besides the screwdriver that gets you into the area?

4. You configure the new router to provide WiFi within the trailer with the increased speed and device connectivity.

5. If for some reason you want campground WiFi, you merely direct you device to the alternative WiFi.

Does this summary the steps or have I missed something?

I need some extended time at the trailer to make this work and my school vacation doesn’t start for another month and a half! Until then our unlimited Verizon plan probably won’t be overtaxed with just being there on the weekends.

Thanks for all the help. Speaker and subwoofers will come after internet connectivity and shower leak!

Amy
1. Just call customer service and request the change.

2. You need to get a dual band router. 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. Also, make sure the transformer that comes with it is 12v.

3. Just a screw driver. You will also want a 5 A fuse.

4. Yes. You want to pay attention to the dual band aspects. The 5 ghz band will double your speed. Label it Air5 so you know which WiFi to log into.

5. Yep! That is correct. Just use your phone or Ipad to log into the wifi provided by the campground. It probably wont work, but you can try! : )

Make sure you are logging into your second router (air5) and not the "airestream XXXX" sidd

Tom & Doty
Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I once again want everyone to know that Airstream's solution is very solid, but is missing the final component, 5ghz. It also has a problem with the WiFi as WAN that is inherent with the Peplink modem. It will slow you down 10x.

Shut off the WiFi as Wan by calling Airstream customer support and buy yourself a dual-band router to plug into the available port on the Peplink.

It's not rocket science, just good practice to improve the faults of the Peplink modem.

Airstream's equipment is very solid. It amazes me how well it can pull in an ATT tower from so far away. Forget Weboost! It can't hold a candle to this system and its unlimited data without throttling. I am still amazed e every time we move with the connectivity I have. The hardware is very solid. It just needs a few tweaks to get the most out of it.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
turk123 is really the expert on this. He debugged much of the AS / PepLink issue through sheer perseverance. Sorry if you know all this below.

You should purchase two plug-in female crimp connectors. When you get the side panel open and see all the electronics, you will see the 12v fuse bus panel. Three of the buses do not have fuses but are powered. Plug in a 5 amp 12v fuse into one of the empty buses. The bus will supply 12v positive. Cut the 12v power supply off the new router. Crimp the connectors on to the wires. Plug the positive connector on to the bus and the negative onto a group of male plugs that just looks like they are fastened to the electrical board. This is the 12v negative connection Voila, the new router is powered.

Caveats: Twelve volts has polarity, unlike AC. it matters which side plugs into 12v positive. The wall wart you are cutting off changes 120v AC into 12v DC. The wires from the wall wart have a "tracer" (marking, usually a dashed white line on one of the black wires) to mark which side is positive. Unfortunately, this is not standardized and the tracer might be on the negative wire. Use a voltmeter to determine the polarity coming out of the wall wart then match that using the tracer to the proper polarity going into your new router. Be careful to purchase a router with a 12v power supply or just purchase the TP-Link 1200 that turk123 uses, available on Amazon.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Smart App and Router WiFi Network Issues

We did ours a little different but it works for us. We have a 2017 Classic so there is no speaker where my peplink[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH]is mounted, so we chose to buy a mini power strip since our blue ray player and peplink were using the plug and just plugged in the wireless router. Now we can only use the wireless router if we are plugged in to electric, but most of our camping is at full hook up sites so it’s not a big deal to us. When we are not plugged in I can still access the peplink through 12v. We also bought a Netgear AC1200 router at Walmart site we were out camping when we installed it and it works great. We stream HBO go, Netflix Amazon Prime, etc, with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	340857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	340858  

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	340859  
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I had AS on the phone today to disable my WAN over camp WiFi. But they couldn’t do it because it was not connected. It is not showing connected from the app. How do you resolve that and why isn’t it connected?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Did you sign up with att?

Tom & Doty
Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
I once again want everyone to know that Airstream's solution is very solid, but is missing the final component, 5ghz. It also has a problem with the WiFi as WAN that is inherent with the Peplink modem. It will slow you down 10x.

Shut off the WiFi as Wan by calling Airstream customer support and buy yourself a dual-band router to plug into the available port on the Peplink.

It's not rocket science, just good practice to improve the faults of the Peplink modem.

Airstream's equipment is very solid. It amazes me how well it can pull in an ATT tower from so far away. Forget Weboost! It can't hold a candle to this system and its unlimited data without throttling. I am still amazed e every time we move with the connectivity I have. The hardware is very solid. It just needs a few tweaks to get the most out of it.
I second this. I purchased Airstream Connected so that I could work from the Airstream. I require email, webex audio and video meetings and the DW likes to stream DirectTV in the bedroom while I work.

I worked this entire week from the Jellystone campground in St. Louis and Airstream Connected was rock solid. Not one issue with connectivity.

Yeah - they need to fix their router issues, but those issues can be overcome and it is hard to beat the $360 a year AT&T data plan.

Next - Austin, Tx for a week then on to North Carolina. We intend to put Airstream Connected to work!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:27 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Smart App and Router WiFi Network Issues

Quote:
Did you sign up with att?

It has been working in the past. I have streamed video, used the remote app to turn off lights etc. I had taken a picture of the app saying to vehicle was not connected, but lost the post. But then I went in and flipped the switch on the app to prioritize cellular data and now all appears to be functioning again. Why is that? I am getting about 10 mbps on a Speedtest up and down on the AS WiFi. Was it disconnected because it was trying to connect over the campground WiFi which only minimally works? BTW I am getting about 16 mbps on Verizon LTE, but my plan will throttle when towers are busy. This sometimes happens on summer weekends.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
My remote app has not been functioning so I spent some time at the trailer today to troubleshoot the problem and I found a couple of interesting things.

1) removing the app and re-installing it did nothing. Same problem before and after.

2) unpairing and re-pairing the phone fixed it, but opened a whole new interesting set of things.

2a) When I re-paired the phone, it immediately started working.

2b) Unlike the first time I paired (in which the AT&T was not activated), this time, the app asked if I wanted to connect to the WiFi. I almost didn't since I have an additional WiFi installed, but thought, why not. This was the iPhone (SE) that refused to connect to the trailer WiFi before. This time it linked right up and asked if I wanted to copy the password to the clipboard. The only things I know have changed is that the AT&T is activated already and I believe a new version of the app was pushed out last week or so.

2c) I immediately tried to do a speed test since I was on the trailer WiFi and was surprised. Before, I could only get 8Mb/s or so. This time, I was getting 30Mb/s. (down and up)

2d) I went back to my own WiFi and only saw ~20Mb/s. Back to the AS WiFi and it jumped up to 30Mb/s again.

Since it was working, I started opening drawers, cabinets and storage spaces just to start finding where things were. I was appalled at much of what I found. I understand the need for a little extra cable in the wiring harness. It's always better have have a bit to much than a bit to little. You can always cut it shorter. Making it longer is harder. But 6 feet of cable? In many areas, the cabling was coiled multiple times and just laid on the floor or the shelf it was in. This is a picture of under the Dinette seat (next to the fridge) and I'm pretty sure that bare metal bus bar is at 12V. I didn't have my voltmeter with me, so I'm not sure, but the leads going to it say "power". Notice that it is just laying there with tons of extra cable around it. Shouldn't it be fastened to the floor? The NEMA2000 bus right next to it is screwed to the floor and there is nothing exposed on it.

Also, the water pump is just laying on the floor too. Which explains why it is so noisy when it runs.

Every panel I opened up was just like this. A rats nest of wires that would be a nightmare to trace out. perhaps all the extra cable is so you can pull the assembly out into the aisle to work on it rather than crawling into the cabinet.

By the way, I am going to mount a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 right in this place since that looped cord is the shore power for the trailer. That also means I can mount the display for it right next to the Alde display.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0084.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	341037  
Old 05-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
My remote app has not been functioning so I spent some time at the trailer today to troubleshoot the problem and I found a couple of interesting things.

1) removing the app and re-installing it did nothing. Same problem before and after.

2) unpairing and re-pairing the phone fixed it, but opened a whole new interesting set of things.

2a) When I re-paired the phone, it immediately started working.

2b) Unlike the first time I paired (in which the AT&T was not activated), this time, the app asked if I wanted to connect to the WiFi. I almost didn't since I have an additional WiFi installed, but thought, why not. This was the iPhone (SE) that refused to connect to the trailer WiFi before. This time it linked right up and asked if I wanted to copy the password to the clipboard. The only things I know have changed is that the AT&T is activated already and I believe a new version of the app was pushed out last week or so.

2c) I immediately tried to do a speed test since I was on the trailer WiFi and was surprised. Before, I could only get 8Mb/s or so. This time, I was getting 30Mb/s. (down and up)

2d) I went back to my own WiFi and only saw ~20Mb/s. Back to the AS WiFi and it jumped up to 30Mb/s again.

Since it was working, I started opening drawers, cabinets and storage spaces just to start finding where things were. I was appalled at much of what I found. I understand the need for a little extra cable in the wiring harness. It's always better have have a bit to much than a bit to little. You can always cut it shorter. Making it longer is harder. But 6 feet of cable? In many areas, the cabling was coiled multiple times and just laid on the floor or the shelf it was in. This is a picture of under the Dinette seat (next to the fridge) and I'm pretty sure that bare metal bus bar is at 12V. I didn't have my voltmeter with me, so I'm not sure, but the leads going to it say "power". Notice that it is just laying there with tons of extra cable around it. Shouldn't it be fastened to the floor? The NEMA2000 bus right next to it is screwed to the floor and there is nothing exposed on it.

Also, the water pump is just laying on the floor too. Which explains why it is so noisy when it runs.

Every panel I opened up was just like this. A rats nest of wires that would be a nightmare to trace out. perhaps all the extra cable is so you can pull the assembly out into the aisle to work on it rather than crawling into the cabinet.

By the way, I am going to mount a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 right in this place since that looped cord is the shore power for the trailer. That also means I can mount the display for it right next to the Alde display.

So you are thinking unpairing and re-pairing had something to do with your increased speeds? Or do you think it was coincidental? I am functioning now on the WiFi, but getting more like what you were getting before 6-10 mbps.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
So you are thinking unpairing and re-pairing had something to do with your increased speeds? Or do you think it was coincidental? I am functioning now on the WiFi, but getting more like what you were getting before 6-10 mbps.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add....

3) In the process of tracing out where/what is there, I discovered that the factory had no antenna connected to the back of the peplink for the WiFi. The installed antenna has two 2.4/5GHz MIMO connections, but they were both just laying there. I connected one of them up to the Peplink. You might check that.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Yea, welcome o the brave new world in Airstream quality. I posted a picture a couple months ago that looked disturbingly like yours. I went under my dinette's rear seat in search of the cable for my satellite after calling AS to inquire where it was. I had frankly expected to find it tucked up where the DVD player was installled as that made odd sense to me. Imagine my surprise when AS replied that the cable "usually" fell down in the wall behind the TV. Usually???? In what world is that acceptable?
Froglips is offline   Reply With Quote