Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Shorter Options in the current Airstream Classic line.....

In watching the recent excitement by many to see Airstream come out with a 25’ Globetrotter last year and now a 23’ Globetrotter this year….. it makes me wonder why Airstream has not done the same thing with its Classic line ?

I would think that there is a solid market out there for shorter Classics, for folks who’d like something smaller for easier access into tighter places or feel that a 30’ trailer is just too big for their needs (or their wallet/purse).

Myself, I would love to see a new Classic 27’ and a new Classic 25’ enter the Airstream product line, as it would be nice to have the Alde heating & hot water system and all the other features offered in the Airstream Classic line….. available in shorter models, with floor plans that have the wrap-around panoramic windows at both ends of the trailer, like the current Classic 30.

Anyways, not sure what others think..... might just be 'wishful thinking' on my part ?!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We asked the same questions on a recent dealer visit...no plans to offer a shorter Classic.
We love our 25' Classic...and are SO glad we spent the outlandish $48k on it in '04. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We'll see what they come up with once the new factory gets going. I think there is "room" to spread the line out on both ends. A three axle "long classic" makes sense as does at least a 26 or 27' version. I'm sitting here looking at a row of three axle Limited's as I type this .... If I turn the other way, there's a "short Classic" right over there ....

Lots of possibilities.

Hmmm..... then over there, a Classic with a slide out ... hmmm ..... 25' with a slide, that would be interesting. Not quite sure where the axles would go though.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The Classic is meant for full-timing. The market for full-timers in the 23-25' range is a lot smaller IMO. I know I wouldn't want anything smaller than my 30 and I'm single with a GSD.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
On several tours of the factory, I have noticed trailers in the different model lines with layouts that differed from the standard floor plans on the web site: nothing really radically different, but say more like a FC layout in International accoutrements.

AS used to offer custom interiors for paying clients, especially in the lean times. I wonder how easy it would be to get a custom order in these days.

Of course, you could always go the Hollywood route and customize a vintage trailer or DIY.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

Houma , LA
I do agree that smaller Classic would be welcomed. I love the design of the FC 26RB, but the decor leaves a lot to be desired. Plusher cushions, solid wood cabinetry, doorbell, etc. would just add those touches that would make it very desirable, IMHO. Any thoughts?
CajunLady56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
wildly customizable!

Sure! Adding a wireless doorbell would be would be easy! I have personally added extra extra padding underneath some of my cushions and concealed in complementary covers.

I'm not personally a big fan of solid wood cabinetry in a travel trailer because of its excessive weight. The cabinetry in my 1969 Caravel was made of an ingenious lightweight sandwiched honeycomb cardboard core wood veneer and has lasted 50 years so far. So, is that kind of durability sufficient? Plus, the cabinet doors are lightweight enough so that as the trailer bounces down the highway they don't tear themselves off the screws as some new owners have experienced with the current cabinetry.

Perhaps the greatest thing about the iconic airstream travel is its aluminum shell construction. While some purists also value the interiors, especially the on vintage 1950s and earlier, many, many owners modify the interior to suit their own wants, needs and tastes - even to the point of making the interior completely unrecognizable from what came originally from the factory.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:51 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

On several tours of the factory, I have noticed trailers in the different model lines with layouts that differed from the standard floor plans on the web site: nothing really radically different, but say more like a FC layout in International accoutrements.

AS used to offer custom interiors for paying clients, especially in the lean times. I wonder how easy it would be to get a custom order in these days.

Of course, you could always go the Hollywood route and customize a vintage trailer or DIY.

"Yes", we would welcome the option to be able order a customized Airstream, especially in the Classic line.

The final Class A that we owned was a Newmar and they were very good about allowing customers to customize many areas of the coach when ordering. Back in 2014, they didn't allow you to alter the layout of a floor plan, but the customer could change just about anything else on the coach. You could change exterior colors, extend / alter cabinets, add/delete furniture, add additional light switches to more convenient locations, change interior colors, tile, fabric and accent colors, patterns & materials offered in any other model they made, whether from a more expensive line or a lesser line, even add an optional window in the kitchen. Each request was evaluated individually, approved or disapproved, and then assessed an up charge to your unit's base cost. Not a quick or inexpensive process. But it allowed customers, who were willing to pay, the option to customize their unit to their liking (and there appeared to be no shortage of folks placing customer orders).