Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
Service

I’m on the road for a 40 day trip and my power converter failed. So I called Albuquerque service center (closest service center) and was told sorry we are two months out. So much for a warranty and customer support. Not a happy camper right now. Fedexed a boondocker 1260 to my next stop and will fix it on my own. Like everything else. And yes airstream, I’ve called you 3 times and no one has returned my call.
Bougeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Surly you aren’t surprised. You’ve been a member of this forum since March of ‘17 and you admitted you have done most of the service yourself so why are you expecting different results this time? Any member of this forum who isn’t aware that getting an appointment during peak travel season is next to impossible isn’t using this wonderful resource to its full advantage. There are many, many posts that will walk you through each step necessary to replace your converter, which probably needed to be replaced prior to leaving home.
Airstream doesn’t make the converter, they just installed one for you. Your real gripe is with the manufacturer of the now defunct converter.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
True true! It’s all good. My 50$ battery charger from autozone is working great. My new 4 stage boondocker is at my campsite in Sedona now. Have you changed your out yet?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Bougeois,

We are sorry about the issue that you had with your power converter. If there is anything else that we can help with, please send me a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougeois View Post
True true! It’s all good. My 50$ battery charger from autozone is working great. My new 4 stage boondocker is at my campsite in Sedona now. Have you changed your out yet?

I changed mine to the Boondocker HD 50amp a year ago. It works fantastic. I do take the batteries out when the unit is in storage for more than a month and hook the batteries to a charger designed for AGM batteries, it too works great.

The change out took me about an hour and a half, mainly because I built a shelf for mine and did not sue the cabinet that the AS converter came in as I actually carry it with me as a back up, just in case.

Good luck.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I changed mine to the Boondocker HD 50amp a year ago. It works fantastic. I do take the batteries out when the unit is in storage for more than a month and hook the batteries to a charger designed for AGM batteries, it too works great.

The change out took me about an hour and a half, mainly because I built a shelf for mine and did not sue the cabinet that the AS converter came in as I actually carry it with me as a back up, just in case.

Good luck.

The new boondocker is in and we are off to the races. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	312576
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
This was old one
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 AM   #8
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I admit that I cheated and asked the guys in JC to change mine out when I was at tha factory for body work. But mine had not died yet so the swap wasn’t covered under warranty, it was an upgrade that was on me.
Since yours actually died, the cost to replace may be covered. Give them a call.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:26 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Airstream doesn’t make the converter, they just installed one for you. Your real gripe is with the manufacturer of the now defunct converter.

Have to disagree with this one sentence and the philosophy behind it. Taking this to the logical extreme you could say that the auto maker subcontracted the seats to a supplier and they just installed them for you. Airstream knowingly installed, and continues to install, defective and poorly designed chargers that boil the batteries and make humming noises. There is simply no excuse.

If I wanted to buy something using your suggestion that they only provided parts then I would have sought out an RV from Heathkit. As the Army General said to McCarthy, “have you at long last have no shame?” Airstream has no self respect and clearly no shame.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Have to disagree with this one sentence and the philosophy behind it. Taking this to the logical extreme you could say that the auto maker subcontracted the seats to a supplier and they just installed them for you. Airstream knowingly installed, and continues to install, defective and poorly designed chargers that boil the batteries and make humming noises. There is simply no excuse.

If I wanted to buy something using your suggestion that they only provided parts then I would have sought out an RV from Heathkit. As the Army General said to McCarthy, “have you at long last have no shame?” Airstream has no self respect and clearly no shame.
I don't know if you are aware, but progress and production did not freeze in 2016. Airstream installs three stage converters in, as far as I know, all 2018 and newer models. "installed, and continues to install" is factually incorrect. "Installed", okay. "Continues to install", NO. Using your logic, Chevrolet builds, and continues to build, Vega cars that have horrible aluminum engines and bodies that rot out when you take them through a car wash.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
CSH, to a point I do agree with you but...Airstream is changing and improving some of the third party suppliers however imo if I want to install a “better” inverter isn’t that along the same lines as changing the tires on a brand new car because I think a particular brand or type of tire is superior to the ones provided my the vehicle manufacturer?
Granted I do agree with your thoughts regarding refrigerator, entertainment systems ( that I never use), HVAC systems, toilets, plumbing, showers, wiring, and all the 1,000 parts that make up an Airstream. However, the converter they provided in the past might have been good enough for some, those of us that choose to upgrade, it’s owner’s personal decision.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Hi folks. I think this is the right thread. Camping for the weekend connected to shore power and coach batteries keep discharging and are now nearly dead. Any tricks I am missing. (No tripped circuits.)
hjnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Bougeois,

We are sorry about the issue that you had with your power converter. If there is anything else that we can help with, please send me a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
DLADS....normal.
👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Defense Logistics Agency Disposal Services?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjnj View Post
Hi folks. I think this is the right thread. Camping for the weekend connected to shore power and coach batteries keep discharging and are now nearly dead. Any tricks I am missing. (No tripped circuits.)
In all probability converter has failed. Replace on your own and buy from Best Converters - talk to Randy he will recommend what you need in a three or four stage.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
In all probability converter has failed. Replace on your own and buy from Best Converters - talk to Randy he will recommend what you need in a three or four stage.
Many thanks. I am hoping AS will respond and cover under warranty, but good to have the resource you recommended.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I don't know if you are aware, but progress and production did not freeze in 2016. Airstream installs three stage converters in, as far as I know, all 2018 and newer models. "installed, and continues to install" is factually incorrect. "Installed", okay. "Continues to install", NO. Using your logic, Chevrolet builds, and continues to build, Vega cars that have horrible aluminum engines and bodies that rot out when you take them through a car wash.

Thank You for pointing out that error. I was unaware that they upgraded to a multi stage charger from the battery boiler that came with my 2016. As a car guy, your logic holds perfectly. Today, they wouldn’t make the same mistake selling Novas in Latin America and wondering why the cars didn’t sell.

After reading posts here for the past year, we consider ourselves lucky that that we received a Wednesday build so there were just three major defects needing service help outside of the normal silliness of the lug nut caps breaking off when on the side of the road, dead group 27 batteries no longer under warranty on a brand new unit off the lot, roof vents missing gap insulation and things like that.

Our unit is sorted out and will be maintained by us.
Anyone thinking of buying a new Airstream can keep with the car logic. You bought a British car, or anything with Lucas electrical devices, and had to know it was going to spend equal time in the shop as on the road. Airstreams aren’t that way. They are handbuilt but without any pride by the line crew or ownership so you get something similar to what you’d expect buying a used car. The real cost is the purchase price plus $2,000 sorting out all the things the previous buyer hid or didn’t talk about.

I highly recommend Airstream as an RV, wouldn’t own anything else and would do it again. But I’d buy low mileage late model but not new units, study this forum, get my toolkit squared away and go from there. Having just come from a Region rally talking to new owners, my advice on this point is both informed and reinforced.

My advice to Airstream is to listen to the small QC comments like rats nests wiring, garbage left in hidden spaces, garbage glued to the roof on exit as seen in a recent post here and ask themselves what it tells the guys on the line about priorities and what they are building. Getting QC to 95pct isn’t hard, it’s the last 5pct in all things. But with modern factory floor practices, object recognition capabilities of camera systems in production flows and other 80/20 techniques, they can rule out the obvious flaws like what hit my camper with missing PEX crimps and produce a product they can be proud of. Systems like Alde and Firefly are buyer beware issues; if you aren’t three years behind the introduction curve, you know you are a beta tester. Lug nuts with caps and plumbing behind walls without crimps are something else entirely.

So Buy and enjoy your Airstream but expect to know how to maintain it yourself. You are pulling your house behind you.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjnj View Post
Many thanks. I am hoping AS will respond and cover under warranty, but good to have the resource you recommended.
Be aware..😳

...."under warranty"...you will get the exact cheepo unit that failed. 👎
Take the opportunity to upgrade. You won't regret it.👍

Bob🇺🇸
Old 06-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Flower , Texas
Forever Warranty

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with forever warranty. Looking at a new airstream and dealer is touting the forever warranty as being the best thing since sliced bread. Only catch is has to be inspected yearly to maintain warranty. Thanks for your thoughts.
Me. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote