Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Second spare tire placement

I have a 2019 30' Classic and would like to add the BAL Hide-a-Spare carriage for a second spare tire. Has anyone done this? I am looking for a good mounting location. Thanks in advance.-mjr
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
There will be issues to deal with:

1) Ground clearance of the frame will be a lot lower than axles and tank covers. Not good! If anything is hit at highway speed the tanks could get damaged.

2) The propane pipe will have to be modified.

(I'm assuming mounting it in front of the axles because of proper weight distribution.)

Advice: put the spare spare in the tow vehicle. That's what I do when I'm on long trips. I carry a tire, not wheel and tire.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Thanks for the thoughtful response Alan.

I was hoping there would be a cavity above the belly pan where the spare would fit, but apparently not.
I am intrigued that you carry a spare tire but not a spare. Can you amplify on this decision? It saves weight but not space but requires professional tools to remove the damaged tire from the rim and replace it with the spare. I had considered just carrying a tube, to save space, which can be used on tubeless tires unless the side wall is damaged. Again there are install issues with this idea. Thanks.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presitla99 View Post
I am intrigued that you carry a spare tire but not a spare. Can you amplify on this decision? It saves weight but not space but requires professional tools to remove the damaged tire from the rim and replace it with the spare. I had considered just carrying a tube, to save space, which can be used on tubeless tires unless the side wall is damaged. Again there are install issues with this idea. Thanks.
Every time I experienced a blowout the rim was destroyed also.
A good inflator like the Viair doesn't have the volume to seat the bead on a tire even if you could get it on.
Lastly, a tube isn't made for tubeless tires as the heat buildup will cause problems. It might get you to the nearest service station though.
I think most of us count on a service provider like Good Sam or Coachnet.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
I was hoping there would be a cavity above the belly pan where the spare would fit, but apparently not.
I've only had one flat tire on a trailer in the 40+ years of towing travel trailers. (I started towing in my early 20's)

Carrying a tire is a $0 cost option. It is the best tire from the last change, usually the spare from underneath that was used little, if any. I change all tires, including the spare every 5 years. Odds of needing a second spare are extremely unlikely. But, if I would have a ruined tire, the tire would become my spare, so I could continue my trip with only a slight delay. Any tire shop can change a tire. There is a high probability they would not have a matching tire in their inventory.

ps:
I would not install this tire onto the wheel myself/on the road. As long as 2 of the 4 are still inflated. If need be, I can tow the trailer at a slow (really slow) pace.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Seat a Tire Bead With WD40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
A good inflator like the Viair doesn't have the volume to seat the bead on a tire even if you could get it on.
Off roaders don't need air volume to seat a tire bead.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Wondering why you need 2 spares. Save the $$$ from purchasing a 2nd spare and simply replace your tires every 5 years as is prudent. An additional savings will come from not needing to repair the trailer from a blowout.

Here is my solution to the spare on our '58 18' Traveler. Just had to do a little cutting and welding.
Attached Images

1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
Can’t imagine the need for adding the weight and bulk of a second spare as the Classic’s 16” LT Michelin’s are readily available. Just completed a 13,000 mile circumnavigation of North America in our 2018 and the tires needed a “top-off”only once. Don’t worry be happy!
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
I have a 2019 30' Classic and would like to add the BAL Hide-a-Spare carriage for a second spare tire. Has anyone done this? I am looking for a good mounting location. Thanks in advance.-mjr
...you don’t need it....more extra junk....they sell tires everywhere...we do coast to coast never had a tire problem....never used our spare
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Listen to these people and forget about a extra tire. I was going to buy the Y swing arm that holds the spare because my trailer didn't have one. After learning that the swing arm was just an option and not necessary I wanted to know why someone would not carry a spare? This was after I had already purchased a new tire and rim. I learned that 2 axle trailers can go a short distance at low speed without both tires on one side. I still was weary, as my tires were between year 4 and 5, so I threw the spare in the back of the pick up giving it a 8,000 mile ride using valuable space and weight. After you own your trailer for a while you'll get better at what's really important and whats just extra stuff. Room is limited, pick your come alongs wisely.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
I'm too cheap to pay for road service and like to boondock. Don't want to ruin an aluminum wheel either so I carry a spare mounted on a steel wheel in TV in front of the bed to keep weight forward. Have not had to use it but probably will the first time I forget to load it. If weight is an issue with your TV leave it home. One of us would gladly lend a spare to get you to a tire shop.
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Retired Professional Truck Driver 4 million accident-free miles. Various combo's GCVW 105,000 lbs 105' length.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, in 13 years, and many tens of thousands of miles, I have never used my spare tire. I replaced my original spare tire at tens years old. Why on Earth would anyone need two spares?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Because two is one and one is none. It is a philosophy some of us live by. YMMV
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Spare Tyre

I always a second spare, tyre only, and keep it on the floor of the TT until we arrive as destination, when it gets temp storage under the TT.

As others have mentioned it is usually an old tyre salvaged during previous replacement. Once you replace that damaged tyre, you a running bare so go easy until you can find a shop that will but the second spare on your blown tyre rim. There are still lots of places in this country where you cant buy a new tyre to match yours, especially on a Friday night or Sunday!

A few posts here state they have never used a spare because they have newer tyres. Great idea until you hit a massive pothole, nails from a roofing truck or piece of metal debris on the highway that pops up before you can swerve around it.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Second spare tire placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
I always a second spare, tyre only, and keep it on the floor of the TT until we arrive as destination, when it gets temp storage under the TT.

As others have mentioned it is usually an old tyre salvaged during previous replacement. Once you replace that damaged tyre, you a running bare so go easy until you can find a shop that will but the second spare on your blown tyre rim. There are still lots of places in this country where you cant buy a new tyre to match yours, especially on a Friday night or Sunday!

A few posts here state they have never used a spare because they have newer tyres. Great idea until you hit a massive pothole, nails from a roofing truck or piece of metal debris on the highway that pops up before you can swerve around it.

Box of spilled nails are what stopped us. Right rear TV tire: Flat. Both right side trailer tires: Flat. Happened 50 miles south of Ely, NV, on NV-318, during a Mormon Sunday...meaning there was no traffic. That’s almost as nowhere as you can find.
I consider a spare TV tire, and at least one spare trailer tire, to be absolutely essential, and would never, NEVER travel without.
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:01 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Bracket flew of a tractor trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpuller View Post
Box of spilled nails are what stopped us. Right rear TV tire: Flat. Both right side trailer tires: Flat. Happened 50 miles south of Ely, NV, on NV-318, during a Mormon Sunday...meaning there was no traffic. That’s almost as nowhere as you can find.
I consider a spare TV tire, and at least one spare trailer tire, to be absolutely essential, and would never, NEVER travel without.
On I64 in the middle of Charleston, WV in heavy traffic, 65mph, a bracket flew off a tractor trailer. I couldn't swerve. No time to even look in the mirror to see if I could move into the other lane. Hit the new, back right truck tire, which immediately blew. Pulling over, my wife yelled, "Do NOT get out! I have AAA on the line". I have now changed 5 trailer tires and three truck tires in 5 years, but I have gotten better at management with a tire monitoring system, maintaining air pressures with ViAir pump and buying new tires more regularly. Long trips on gravel roads with or without the trailer are hazardous........but I love going to the places they take me:} Always thankful for this forum for teaching me so many things.
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote