Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #141
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
1977 Argosy 28
Southern Ohio , Ohio
That looks terrifying, it will be interesting to see how the claim shakes out.
StephSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #142
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
... The highway is 3 lanes wide and I was in the center lane due to the congestion of the entrance/exit ramps. Left lane was clear. Truck was tailgating us then in a wink of an eye passed me on the right side absolutely hauling A$$. ...
Semi trucks are prohibited from driving in the left lane (on a three lane highway in my Province).

With you blocking the center lane he had no option but to wait for an opportunity to pass you on the right. As he had the distance ahead to pass you on the right, I don't understand why you didn't move over into the right lane, instead of hogging the centre lane, as a courtesy to other drivers (not only trucks.)

Unless the right hand lane is ending at an off ramp there is no reason to travel in the center lane except when actually overtaking and passing other traffic. It seems you decided to put your convenience of not wanting to change lanes ahead of the trucker's need to pass slower moving traffic.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Semi trucks are prohibited from driving in the left lane (on a three lane highway in my Province).

With you blocking the center lane he had no option but to wait for an opportunity to pass you on the right. As he had the distance ahead to pass you on the right, I don't understand why you didn't move over into the right lane, instead of hogging the centre lane, as a courtesy to other drivers (not only trucks.)

Unless the right hand lane is ending at an off ramp there is no reason to travel in the center lane except when actually overtaking and passing other traffic. It seems you decided to put your convenience of not wanting to change lanes ahead of the trucker's need to pass slower moving traffic.
As I recall, that section of I-65 has a 55 mph limit. So are you saying it's OK for the truck to be speeding in a congested area but you draw the line at someone staying within the limit and driving safely in the center lane? Crispy Boy had every right to be in the center lane. Truckers need to be patient when coming through congested areas. We all share the same road.

We have a similar lane restriction here but the limit is 70. I have been driving in the center lane doing 70, also because it's a congested section of highway with cars entering and exiting the right lane. I have been flipped off several times by truckers who can't wait 5 minutes to get past the congested area and want to drive well above the posted limit.

Staying in the right lane means people will be nose diving to get in front of you to make that exit ramp because they can't wait 5 more seconds of driving the speed limit. It also means people coming into the right lane are not respecting that cars on the Interstate having the right-of-way and not being able to move over to the center lane. Trucks coming in will just start coming into the right lane, doing 35 because they haven't gotten up to speed yet, but they don't care; signal is on, they're coming over.

There is no courtesy on the roads anymore. It's every driver for themselves. Yesterday, within 5 minutes, 2 cars nearly hit me head on because the drivers were looking down and making a turn right in front of me, and I mean right in front of me, like 5 feet.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:

I wouldn't consider it "hogging a lane" when I was driving faster than the right lane and probably exceeding the 55 mph speed limit by 5 mph. I was not the "slow poke" in the middle lane. The right lane congestion ended within 2 miles and was able to move to the right lane.

I will argue all day long that it this was not for my convenience but rather for the safety of my family and the for the flow of traffic. It can be tough for vehicles to enter the freeway when another vehicle is taking up space in the right lane. I see trucks/cars do this all the time in congested areas as it gives room for vehicles to manuever. The truck that almost wrecked into us was driving in a reckless manner. All other trucks around me were driving normal.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #145
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The stupid drivers — and it’s past 90% nowadays (higher for AS owners) — “think” they are traveling at a particular speed. When that speed is the opening line of a story, you can safely tune out.

The rule is simple enough: Vehicle Space

Never anyone off the bow, amidships or astern.

This is the condition one works to maintain.

It is the variable over which you have control. Over Load, Road, Traffic & Weather, are conditions with no variance possible underway as they are fixed.

The giveaway of where the real problem lay (thus the fix) were the other trucks. A pack. That wasn't dealt with. This failure was the AS operators choice. Bad call. Inexperience (if we wish to be kind)

The stupids find each other and stick together. Pack formation happens for a variety of reasons past the opening failure indicator noted. The why isn’t relevant. It’s essentially collateral damage from the war. The invasion.

To effect Vehicle Spacing has two parts:

1). One keeps one’s distance.

2). One minimizes interactions.

To do so requires management of overtaking traffic. Stupid (luckily) means predictable.

Per (1):

A). The minimum distance at speed behind another is not less than 350’ thus the distance one changes lanes to effect a pass).

B). The minimum distance AHEAD of a tractor-trailer is over 500’ (to enter a highway and fail this is be at fault)

C). Pack formation just ahead of one is a given (stupids win points for passing the next car. If there aren’t any others, they slow. Without an American they can imitate, speeds above 45-mph are past innate ability ).

Per (2):

A). Management = Mirrors.

B). What’s out ahead? Whats overtaking?

C). Failure to ready one’s self to ACT with either is signal for remedial instruction.

Ask yourself: Whats the Ideal?
The ideal is an unobstructed roadway with no interference from traffic.

D). Overtaking traffic with more than a 5-mph variance is the obligation of the left lane pass even when it necessitates their exceeding the posted limit. There’s no such thing as a safe pass that happens with 2-3/mph variance.

The corollary (and you won’t be at the wheel of one of my family’s vehicles unless you can demonstrate this competence as a 17-yr old) is to cancel cruise control and drop off from 5-15/mph to get that vehicle around you. The time is the factor judged: from 350’ behind you to that distance out ahead of you. Get out your stopwatch.

(Failure is deceptive . . . the other vehicle doesn’t re-enter the travel lane until he’s that 350’ out. How do you “get” his cooperation to do this? It’s mainly when you cancel cruise. Timing). Settle for 7-8 road stripes.

This is a procedure. Choice really isn’t part of it. To effect low-risk traffic encounters at a maximal level, is the thing.

Because it is a procedure (dictated by the architectural boundaries named above) it can easily be judged. Smoothness, preservation of maneuvering room (never, EVER move right in your lane), braking distance preserved . . . and such that fuel economy isn’t penalized.

E). Here’s what all of you need to hear: Traffic in the travel lane is obligated to ensure a swift pass by the other party; to the point of safe operation being compromised.

It’s not courtesy (courtesy includes ceding ROW to allow another to enter the roadway). It is your incumbent obligation.

Past the opening mention of travel speed in an incident, the second stupid indicator re a storyteller is his concern over at-fault.

There’s no such thing as an accident. Period.

There IS failure to act based on awareness. Failure to have acted responsibly. (You’re welcome to test me. Name what you think excuses you).

That the other guy was worse than you isn’t a defense. That’s for the invaders. Kindergarten.

I spend my days doing the above. Combining it with fuel economy practice is what makes one smooth. Practice, until the habits are predominant. Expect that to be in excess of 10,000-miles. Plenty of you don’t believe me when I’ve said that commuter miles don’t apply. They don’t.

The frame of reference for the rig is verification of proper operation:

1). Having established a numerical baseline via scale tickets with the hitch rigging such that steering corrections are dead minimal;

2). The combined rig stops faster than the TV solo; and,

3). Emergency double-lane changes can be effected thru 55-mph.

Big trucks have their own versions of these three. No, most can’t be bothered with statistically-valid practice.

My ideal is a friction-free day. Driving all alone is work enough.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #146
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
As I recall, that section of I-65 has a 55 mph limit. So are you saying it's OK for the truck to be speeding in a congested area but you draw the line at someone staying within the limit and driving safely in the center lane? Crispy Boy had every right to be in the center lane. Truckers need to be patient when coming through congested areas. We all share the same road.

We have a similar lane restriction here but the limit is 70. I have been driving in the center lane doing 70, also because it's a congested section of highway with cars entering and exiting the right lane. I have been flipped off several times by truckers who can't wait 5 minutes to get past the congested area and want to drive well above the posted limit.

Staying in the right lane means people will be nose diving to get in front of you to make that exit ramp because they can't wait 5 more seconds of driving the speed limit. It also means people coming into the right lane are not respecting that cars on the Interstate having the right-of-way and not being able to move over to the center lane. Trucks coming in will just start coming into the right lane, doing 35 because they haven't gotten up to speed yet, but they don't care; signal is on, they're coming over.

There is no courtesy on the roads anymore. It's every driver for themselves. Yesterday, within 5 minutes, 2 cars nearly hit me head on because the drivers were looking down and making a turn right in front of me, and I mean right in front of me, like 5 feet.

Left turn in front of oncoming traffic on a non-limited access roadway. What’s your desired outcome (no, it’s far from a stupid question)? Close enough one can’t maneuver out of the way (and likely not aware of vehicles athwart one) the single choice is WOT.

Fun, huh?

I plan to go home. And that happens when my tractor-trailer remains upright and lane-centered.

How to ensure that raises uncomfortable questions. I suggest you think them through.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #147
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincanz View Post
I was a semi-truck driver and owned a small fleet. Drivers like you are full of sensationalism and never conceive you might be the party at fault (ergo the dash cam).

My read: the professional driver (not you) saw your tire wobbling (like you should have) and didn’t want that wreck-to-be (you) in front of her when it all went bad. She would have to control 75’ and 70,000 pounds of a Class 8 combination trying not to kill you and your bride when your trailer swayed, you panicked, and your wife screamed. No, she had no idea you had Dexter axles...

So go ahead and assume she was out of her mind and a menace to all, but you only know your perception. Perhaps her perception was you were crazy, taunting her, a menace to all, and obviously drunk.

I’m thinking you were wrong, she was right, and your little camera only tells your side of the story.
There’s a pretty sharp line between maneuvers intended to get someone’s attention and crossing over into being a threat. They either see and react to you, or they don’t. It’s quick

That PRIME driver was worse than incompetent. There’s nothing justifies the actions.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #148
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
I’ll wade in here, a bit reluctantly, but nonetheless, here I go....

Let’s say for a moment I agree with the implied premise that somehow commercial truck drivers are a notch above those of us with only 4 (or 8) wheels (I subscribe to the concept that we’re all equal on the road and we should treat each other respectfully...which the vast, vast majority of truck drivers do...but I’ll suspend that notion for a moment.)

One of my pet peeves about other drivers is when they fail to maintain a consistent speed on an otherwise wide-open road. It annoys me. Yes, there are worse driving behaviors, but that’s my pet peeve.

If I’m driving in up-and-down hilly territory at 60-65 mph and a tractor trailer comes up from behind doing 65-70, s/he’s going to want to pass me. Have at it, I’m not there to slow him/her down. But that driver knows damn well that on that next uphill right in front of his/her eyes, they’re not going to be able to maintain that 65-70, and then they can’t complete the move they initiated. I’m still tooling along at 60-65—not slowing, not speeding up—and now they’re alongside me, unable to pass. This is my fault? This is something *I* have to correct? No. You started to overtake me when you *knew* you wouldn’t be able to complete the move, it’s on you to adjust your speed to not be stuck alongside me.

Sorry, that’s just respect. I’ll adjust my speed when I do something stupid, but I’m not going to adjust my speed because you didn’t think 30 seconds ahead when you pulled into the left lane. That’s on you, no matter how many wheels are under your rig.

If your brother-in-law believes I should slow down to let him pass in that situation, your brother-in-law is a disrespectful driver and maybe it’s time for him to retire.

Jim

Yes, you failed. On every count.

1). That big truck had been overtaking you for miles. And miles. And you failed to note this as info for your future actions.

2). Hilly terrain does make big trucks more difficult to operate. And it’s not just speed. You failed to adapt to this condition. . I guess fog or rain doesn’t slow you either.

3). It would have been dirt simple to arrange things FAR IN ADVANCE that he passed you on a downslope. And that you maintained 52-mph until he was again far out ahead of you. Best part of a mile. As he will slow on the next upslope.

4). Given that’s he's chosen a speed in excess of yours, accommodate him by thinking. Not your babyish emoting.

What you’ve “said” in the above is that you aren’t competent in life & death matters.

[Man Card temporarily suspended]

Old 10-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Could a MOD just lock this thread?????

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #150
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Sorry, I disagree. Vehicles that are not overtaking do not have a 'right' to be in the middle lane and effectively cut off the only proper lane for trucks to pass.

The middle lane is for vehicles (cars and trucks) to overtake and pass. Faster cars have the option of passing a center lane vehicle in the left lane, trucks do not. Hogging that lane, even if driving the speed limit is inconsiderate. The middle lane is for passing traffic that is in the right lane.

Quote:

With traffic moving at the speed limit (not stop and go traffic), a competent driver will be able anticipate merging traffic from on ramps and move over from time-to-time if required. Semi-truck drivers do this all the time. It shouldn't be that hard for someone towing a travel trailer to be aware of the conditions ahead and behind them. If you see a truck (or car) trying to merge and you haven't adjusted your speed or lane position you aren't paying enough attention. Slow down and let them in. You complain about truck driver's being impatient. Why can't you allow a deviation of 30 seconds from your trip time to help with the smooth flow of traffic?

This is from the driver's handbook in Ontario. I'm sure most states are the same.

"Use the far left lane of a multi-lane freeway to pass traffic moving slower than the speed limit, but don't stay there. Drive in the right-hand lane when possible. On many freeways with three or more lanes in each direction, large trucks cannot travel in the far left lane and must use the lane to the right for passing. Get into the habit of driving in the right lane, leaving the other lanes clear for passing." MTO Drivers Handbook: Freeway Driving
Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Sorry, I disagree. Vehicles that are not overtaking do not have a 'right' to be in the middle lane and effectively cut off the only proper lane for trucks to pass.

The middle lane is for vehicles (cars and trucks) to overtake and pass. Faster cars have the option of passing a center lane vehicle in the left lane, trucks do not. Hogging that lane, even if driving the speed limit is inconsiderate. The middle lane is for passing traffic that is in the right lane.

With traffic moving at the speed limit (not stop and go traffic), a competent driver will be able anticipate merging traffic from on ramps and move over from time-to-time if required. Semi-truck drivers do this all the time. It shouldn't be that hard for someone towing a travel trailer to be aware of the conditions ahead and behind them. If you see a truck (or car) trying to merge and you haven't adjusted your speed or lane position you aren't paying enough attention. Slow down and let them in. You complain about truck driver's being impatient. Why can't you allow a deviation of 30 seconds from your trip time to help with the smooth flow of traffic?

This is from the driver's handbook in Ontario. I'm sure most states are the same.

"Use the far left lane of a multi-lane freeway to pass traffic moving slower than the speed limit, but don't stay there. Drive in the right-hand lane when possible. On many freeways with three or more lanes in each direction, large trucks cannot travel in the far left lane and must use the lane to the right for passing. Get into the habit of driving in the right lane, leaving the other lanes clear for passing." MTO Drivers Handbook: Freeway Driving
is this Canadian road law? What you just said does not apply to USA.

Each state in America has its own different traffic laws. I have lived in NC, GA, AL and now in California, I can see none of these stats have SAME traffic laws. Most of California areas do not have 70 MPH but most do have 65 MPH. Any Vehicles towing can only go 55 MPH. Other states may have this law but not all do.

I can imagine that Canada and America do not have same traffic laws. We cannot follow Canadian laws in America but when I get to Canada I will be sure to follow the Canadian traffic laws.

Hal

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #152
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
is this Canadian road law? What you just said does not apply to USA.

Each state in America has its own different traffic laws. I have lived in NC, GA, AL and now in California, I can see none of these stats have SAME traffic laws. Most of California areas do not have 70 MPH but most do have 65 MPH. Any Vehicles towing can only go 55 MPH. Other states may have this law but not all do.

I can imagine that Canada and America do not have same traffic laws. We cannot follow Canadian laws in America but when I get to Canada I will be sure to follow the Canadian traffic laws.

Hal
We weren't talking about speed limits but rules of the road. From a quick search it looks like most, if not all states base there traffic laws on the UVC.

"Common practice and most law on United States highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake.

The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ..." Passing Lane - Wikipedia

(note: it says normal speed - not speed limit)

Also:
Here is the law for driving on multilane roads in New York State, the one closest to where I live. It is basically the same as Ontario.

"Any vehicle which is going slower than the normal speed of traffic must be driven in the right-hand lane or at the right hand side of the road, unless it is passing traffic moving in the same direction or preparing for a left turn."

Now, on a freeway with at least four lanes in each direction I may choose to travel in lane 3 (third from the left or median), which allows for faster cars and trucks to pass easily, otherwise I prefer to follow the rules of the road and stay in the right hand lane. When towing the AS I am not in a big rush and I am happy to slow down a little and let other traffic merge. I do get irritated when someone in the acceleration lane (on ramp) doesn't accelerate to get into the space I have left for them, but instead paces me, requiring me to speed up to let them merge behind.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:

A driver has the right to be in any lane. I'm not aware of any state that says the middle lane of a 3 lane roadway is for passing. I have never seen any signs in any state for this. If I'm traveling the speed limit I'm not holding up anyone. If someone wants to go faster they will be breaking the law. What is the difference between speeding and passing in the left lane even if there is a restriction for trucks? Break one law, break them all.

Quote:
The problem with your analogy is it assumes everyone is leaving considerable space between cars, they don't, even though everyone is moving at least the speed limit, some faster, everyone is bunched together and riding side by side. Again, I'm speaking of roadways where there is congestion, a considerable number of people getting on and off, like going through a major city. The right lane is going to have traffic going slower. Why should I drive in that lane and make their commute worse or even more dangerous when I have to slow my rig because they are standing on their brakes because they jumped in front of me just before exiting or failing to take full advantage of the acceleration lane? When I do drive in the right lane it's not a congested area and I will alter speed or change lanes to help others on and off. When traffic is heavy it's better to stay in the middle and keep up with the flow of traffic.

Quote:
You don't drive much down here, do you? It's very common for many drivers to stay in the left lane of multi-lane highways even when the right lane(s) is/are empty. Ever see anyone pulled over for doing that? In my state (and others) there are signs on both sides of the roadway telling drivers to keep right except to pass. I never have, in over 56 years of driving, seen anyone stopped for traveling miles and miles in the left lane. I HAVE seen trucks, 2,3 or more in a row in the left lane of a lane restricted roadway. I have seen trucks, again multiple trucks, in excess of the posted speed limit, running past cars and other trucks. I have seen uncovered dump trucks spilling dirt and rocks in the roadway, traveling well over posted speed limits.

I have seen and experienced a lot of stuff while driving. I try to be safe (first) and courteous (second). I have the "right" to be in any lane as long as I am obeying the traffic laws.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Could a MOD just lock this thread?????

Larry

At the top of the thread, in the blue bar, is a clickable "thread tools". You can click 'unsubscribe' and it won't appear in the CP any longer.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I'm not sure I quite understand you, but I'll take a stab at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Left turn in front of oncoming traffic on a non-limited access roadway. What’s your desired outcome (no, it’s far from a stupid question)? Close enough one can’t maneuver out of the way (and likely not aware of vehicles athwart one) the single choice is WOT.
WOT - ??? wide open throttle?????

How about a left turn 5' in front of me in a parking lot? I was doing 5 mph. I was exiting the lot as this man was coming in. He was looking down and not ahead and started to turn left. Luckily, he saw me and straightened out.

How about a 2 lane subdivision road, I'm doing the limit of 35 and a lady has stopped in her lane on the opposite side, looking down at something. There is a parking lot entrance on my right, her left. Seeing as how she was stopped I logically assumed she was waiting for me to pass. She puts on her signal and begins to turn directly in front of me when we are about 15 feet apart. There was no way I could react in time, fortunately for both of us she was able to turn her wheels straight and avoid the collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I plan to go home. And that happens when my tractor-trailer remains upright and lane-centered.

How to ensure that raises uncomfortable questions. I suggest you think them through.
Sorry, not a clue as to what you're trying to convey here.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
We weren't talking about speed limits but rules of the road. From a quick search it looks like most, if not all states base there traffic laws on the UVC.

"Common practice and most law on United States highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake.

The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ..." Passing Lane - Wikipedia

(note: it says normal speed - not speed limit)

Also:
Here is the law for driving on multilane roads in New York State, the one closest to where I live. It is basically the same as Ontario.

"Any vehicle which is going slower than the normal speed of traffic must be driven in the right-hand lane or at the right hand side of the road, unless it is passing traffic moving in the same direction or preparing for a left turn."

Now, on a freeway with at least four lanes in each direction I may choose to travel in lane 3 (third from the left or median), which allows for faster cars and trucks to pass easily, otherwise I prefer to follow the rules of the road and stay in the right hand lane. When towing the AS I am not in a big rush and I am happy to slow down a little and let other traffic merge. I do get irritated when someone in the acceleration lane (on ramp) doesn't accelerate to get into the space I have left for them, but instead paces me, requiring me to speed up to let them merge behind.
Found in California DMV Handbook 2019 page 69 at bottom:

Returning to a Lane
After Passing Before you return to your driving lane, be sure you are not dangerously close to the vehicle you have just passed. One way to do this is to look for the vehicle in your inside rearview mirror. When you can see both headlights in your rearview mirror, you may have enough room to return to your driving lane. Do not count on having enough time to pass several vehicles at once or that other drivers will make room for you.

Being Passed
If a vehicle is passing you, or has signaled intent to pass, you should avoid accelerating and maintain your lane position to allow the vehicle to pass you. Do not accelerate or try to go faster to avoid being passed.

We should look to see if it is safe to pass. It takes patience and time to make a successful pass. It is my responsibility not to ASSUME that there would be room to return to lane after passing. ASSUMPTION is dangerous while driving. ASSUMPTION is as bad as expecting everyone to allow me to drive dangerously. Assumption always get you wrecked. Making sure always save you and your passenger plus the beloved Airstream.

I assume that I will be shot down for posting this.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Illinois has law that states illegal to drive left lane except to pass yet it is worse state that drivers do this & I have never seen State police stop drivers doing this. When I'm pulling AS I drive posted speed limits but when I'm approaching slower traffic I have to slow down as left lane riders and other 1/2 mile behind me pull into left lane because they see trailer ahead they are also speeding. If I have slow down because of these inconsiderate drivers then time to regain speed. Pulling AS is not like a wheel barrow that you can stop and start. I will give semi drivers room & will slow down if they have to pass when I'm approaching them. They are making a living driving and delivering goods that are needed some are just in time deliveries for manufacters etc. Plus with new govt. mandatory break laws make there time more critical. AS a train conductor for many yrs. I have been involved in to many fatal accidents because people were in a hurry.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
If I can't travel with prevailing traffic in the left lane, I get out of it.

If I'm in a metropolitan area, I'll use the lane to the left of the right hand lane to avoid on/off ramp activity, unless there are only two lanes and I cannot keep up with the speed of traffic in the left lane.

If congested, wall to wall, and I can maintain speed in the left lane, I'll do the left lane at times, or center lane.

Some times I'll choose a particular lane to avoid rough pavement in another lane, but will always move right if traffic approaches from my rear.

If cat and mouse with a trucker comes in to play, I'll respect the trucker for sure, as I know they are eager to go fast downhill to achieve speed to climb the next hill. I'll get out of the way to allow them to do so, and I'll also adjust accordingly to not SHAFT them by trapping them in the left lane and holding up traffic by not being able to complete the pass whilst climbing the next hill.

I'll adjust speed to remove myself from cat and mouse situations with other vehicles.

Here's one to ponder.....takes a BIG person to abide, it is your responsibility, when on the road, to make sure EVERYBODY ELSE makes it to their destination safely

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
>> takes a BIG person to abide, it is your responsibility, when on the road, to make sure EVERYBODY ELSE makes it to their destination safely

I like it, Airhead.

Thanks for quoting actual traffic safety rules and regs, Adventure.AS.

Lanes to the left are for passing. Ignoring this adds to roadway slowdowns, congestion, hazards, even accidents. You can be cited. It doesn't happen enough, bc...speeders and DUIs take priority, I imagine. But it should.

Yes, you can drive wherever you want if you aren't dissuaded by possible citation, but traffic behind you will slow and rage will build and poor drivers will attempt risky passing maneuvers. It's unsafe for the rest of us.

PS: There are a lot of rules of the road that aren't posted. Your written driver's test is full of them.

[QUOTE=Adventure.AS;2300824]We weren't talking about speed limits but rules of the road. From a quick search it looks like most, if not all states base there traffic laws on the UVC.

perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
To the original poster, I'm glad you're safe! It's unfortunate that it happened, it's even more unfortunate some of these posters have such rude things to say to others. It will be interesting to see what comes from the investigation.

My observations:

The dash cam video is a great thing to have, it makes me second guess not having one
I look forward to eventually looking back and seeing what the investigation found.
It's nice to see some posters might disagree but are civil
It amazes me at times in this hobby how some users on here are so incredibly rude. Are they like that in real life or do they just troll behind a screen name?
I will unsubscribe and not follow the thread.

Carry on!

FWIW, I agree with the question,
Mods, why is this thread still open?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote