Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #101
1989 Excella 32 footer.

1989 32' Excella
Check , Floyd County, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
I'm guessing the driver was high on meth. Meth heads flare into road rage at the drop of a hat. I see examples of the breed far to often at rest stops, that haggard look, buggy eyes and jerky fidget are all tells.

Lets face it, the cheapo trucking firms don't pay their drivers enough to attract the actual professionals. Instead, along with earnest beginners, they get the down and out, barely hanging on types who use meth to help them through the day. Sad, but true. And dangerous for everybody.
And you have proof of this? I ask as I had driven tractor trailers at one time. Yes, there are bad apples in every walk of life but don't blame all of the drivers. Most of them are good people. As to the Meth.....something I dislike intensely, but anymore it is getting worse in my neck of the Country.

I think the biggest problem with the drivers is the crappy dispatchers they have. If you know your driver is to drop their load at 2 PM, send him or her to a place where the can take a shower and get a good meal. Then in the AM pick up a load coming back or going somewhere else. The dispatcher try to set fast turnarounds and forget that there are 4 wheelers and campers on the road also. Or give the driver 24 hours to get from say Virginia to California? Don't laugh, it happened to me. I laughed and told him that there was no way anyone except a plane could get it there in 24.
That is what drivers face, nevermind the crappy drivers who don't know how to get on or off of an exit/entrance ramp. That is where a lot of problems come from. But it is what it is.

N4MAV - FCC Call sign for Ham Radio
Russ Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I don’t have a problem with tight turns? Let’s just say your stinger fails. You here the “boom” and instinctively hit the brakes. Bam, an 8000 lb trailer slams into your truck going under it and the rest of your hitch hits the propane tanks. The batteries turn sideways as the battery box bend and shorts out in a shower of sparks that ignite the leaking propane. The resulting fireball blinds six cars behind you and four of them trying to avoid you, go off the road and plummet 800 feet to the valley floor.

Just saying.
Or, your brake controller is adjusted as it should be with bias to the trailer brakes and you make an easy, controlled stop, pulling to the side of the road with no problems at all. To me that is preferable to instantly after the “boom” being slammed with locked trailer brakes, stressing the safety chains, causing the guy behind you to plow into the back of your trailer, rupturing your black tank after a week spent boondocking, the resulting wave causing the driver in the lane next to you to shout “oh ....” as he swerves violently into a double tanker truck hauling gasoline (whose driver formerly worked for Prime) that was passing him. The resulting fireball incinerates seven cars and five others go off the road and plummet 800 feet to the valley floor attempting to avoid the situation.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I have learned a lot from this discussion. I need to get a dash cam, and a rear tow vehicle cam that isn’t just for backing up.
I also was taught that the emergency brake cable is the last resort to stop a run-away trailer after the chains break, but I now think that the logic of the video is better. So I will need to shorten up my emergency brake cable. I went with a spring coil type like Ephraim has, after having ground a couple of cables through because they were longer than the chains through which they were woven and they rubbed against the ground at some point when towing.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'm a retired accident investigator. I have a couple of observations.

First, this is steering input and not a wind deflection. The cab shifts quite wildly and the trailer follows. If it was wind, the wind would push on the trailer, and the cab would not even move on its suspension.

Secondly, the steering input was quite sharp. Not the sort of steering input that comes from lack of attention, which tends to be sloppy and then with a deliberate correction. This steering input is a set of three left/right cycles. It sets up a motion in the cab relative to the truck chassis. The trailer follows.

Third, people observed the trailer wheels did not cross the line. Of course they didn't. A series of high frequency steering inputs at the front will create the greatest movements, and the trailer's wheels will always travel inside that arc of movement. They're basically damped follower motions.

While I can't divine the intent of the truck's driver - what motivated them - I can say with a high degree of certainty that the actions were deliberate.

I have appeared as an expert witness in multiple court cases. I would feel confident about testifying the above - I have looked at all the realistic alternative explanations and found the behavior of the truck and trailer did not fully match any of them.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #105
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post

Just remember one thing, if 18-wheelers stop running for just 3-days, the American economy would come to a halt, food would not be in the stores, no gas at the pumps, etc... And if you think driving a truck is a great job, I have news for you, it's a hard life that few could do for more than a few weeks.

Enjoy,
Sorry, but what does that have to do with the price of rice in China or semi drivers who shouldn't be in the cab and driving? I drove one for years and quit when the company I drove for quit doing background checks on their drivers.

One driver who was a recent hire decided he could drive through a muddy field to "save a few minutes". Truck was stuck for 2 days. The cops side he had lost his license for DUI the previous year, just got his license back and had been told by the judge he was banned from driving big rigs. Company said they didn't know (no background check) and I handed in my papers.

The number of drivers in rigs with very limited time behind the wheel are up with these cargo companies. They need drivers and if you can fog a mirror with a CDL in hand, you're hired. The pressure of on time delivery while distances won't make it if you drive legal speeds leads to tire, speeding and scary drivers.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #106

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carson City , Nevada
I know drivers like you!

I was a semi-truck driver and owned a small fleet. Drivers like you are full of sensationalism and never conceive you might be the party at fault (ergo the dash cam).

My read: the professional driver (not you) saw your tire wobbling (like you should have) and didn’t want that wreck-to-be (you) in front of her when it all went bad. She would have to control 75’ and 70,000 pounds of a Class 8 combination trying not to kill you and your bride when your trailer swayed, you panicked, and your wife screamed. No, she had no idea you had Dexter axles...

So go ahead and assume she was out of her mind and a menace to all, but you only know your perception. Perhaps her perception was you were crazy, taunting her, a menace to all, and obviously drunk.

I’m thinking you were wrong, she was right, and your little camera only tells your side of the story.
Tincanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
It's understandable that the OP didn't detect a problem when he pulled over the first time to inspect the trailer. A loose wheel will most likely not look like a loose wheel when stationary but could wobble and be at the wheel stud sheering point when running at speed with load. It's quite possible that the truck driver was in fact trying to make an effort to signal the OP that there was something wrong with the wheel and may have actually compromised her rig's stability by trying to be a Good Samaritan.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Like I said, I'll post the video when we get to better Internet. It's a very large file for just three-minute segments. but it's HD. She never made contact with us (though not for lack of trying apparently). The first incursion wasn't even into our lane, but enough to wake me up and turn off the cruise control. It was very windy and I did not assume it was intentional at that point. I just figured it was the wind. As that point, she she began to accelerate from parallel with me to slightly ahead of me. the rear of the trailer becomes even with the front of my airstream. She then wags the cab into my lane causing the trailer wheels to travel about two feet into my lane and I ran onto the shoulder to avoid hitting her. I began to actively slow down and she slows down right along with me to stay even. there is a third "threat" that doesn't cross into my lane and then a fourth where the cab and the trailer cross almost 3 feet into my lane. At that point, I slow to the point where she is pretty much forced to pull ahead as she has trucks behind her. when she is only about 15 feet in front of me she pulls fully into my lane. when she realizes that I am actively slowing down and she is about 45 feet in front me, she brake checks me.

I did not lose the wheel at that point. We pulled off on the next exit and check things and all seemed fine. It wasn't until about 30 minutes later that we lost the wheel. I heard a "bang" as it left the trailer. Because of the terrain, we were unable to recover the wheel. I drove on the shoulder at a slow rate with emergency flashers to the next exit which had a rest stop.

The service guy said he'd never seen one with sheer patterns on the bolts like that. It was NOT caused by loose lug nuts.

Sorry, but I believe the trucker lady was trying to warn you, not mess with you. The lack of damage to the side of the trailer supports this contention IMHO. Whatever the reason that the studs sheared off (not sheered by the way). Lack of serious damage to the side of the trailer supports my theory that she did not cause the loss of the wheel (no crash damage from the truck to your rig) again, IMHO. Truckers will cut you off a bit as you are approaching a narrowing of the lanes on the interstate, in order to prevent being boxed in by less considerate drivers. One of the things I DO like about truckers is the way they will move to block selfish drivers who try to wait till the last possible second to move to a single lane when the notification that a blockage was warned about for many miles. The various state POPOs seem unwilling to bust those miscreants. I am sure you know what I mean here. Change my mind though, if you can. Sorry to hear of your problem.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I think it would be difficult for a tweaker to get past most companies vetting, all new hires have to take a drug test.
Most all trucks are on electronic logs so max 8 hrs drive before 30 minutes break then only another 3 hrs before a 10 hr break. Truck can actually be shut down electronically.
Attitude can't be always accounted for.
The likelyhood of this driver trying to warn you in this fashion is slim. There are many other ways to indicate a problem to a driver, the horn, flashing lights, even passing then straddling the lanes with flashers on and slow down and a wave out the window.
It seems this company responded properly, not sure you can attribute the wheel to this as the shoulder looks pretty smooth.
Bermshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Ha ha! Yeah, she was an angel sent straight from heaven to protect the innocent! You guys are delusional. One look at how hard she brake checked him is all anyone with two brain cells needs to see to know what her intent was.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You’ve got a good process there, but 120 on the trailer? I thought 110 for aluminum, 100 for steel. Double check your user manual for your specific trailer. Not sure if the extra 10#’ assisted in the sheer of the bolts but definitely advise to double check you’re torquing to spec.
I agree. Check the manual, too much torque. Does anyone know if too much torque can weaken a bolt to the point where it will shear ? Is the torque wrench properly calibrated ?? Maybe thinking 120 lb but actually 130, 140 or more ??
LOOSEN THE BOLTS AND THEN RE-TIGHTEN THEM USING A DIFFERENT TORQUE WRENCH. THEY MAY ALL BE OVER TIGHTENED!
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
A Prime Inc truck driver apparently thought I was her ex or something. She deliberately tried to sideswipe me 4 times traveling at 65 mph and then pulled in front of me to brake check me. This was the result of the fast, wild gyrations of the trailer at speed while I fought to not have a collision and maintain control.

I have no idea why she did this and I have it all on dashcam. I had been traveling in the right lane for over two hours with the cruise control set at 63mph.

I've already sent the dash video to the safety division of Prime and they've opened a claim number. I'll have to call them on Monday to see how to proceed.

We were stranded in a rest stop for 24 hours waiting for CoachNet to find a mobile service to come out and get us back on the road. the wheel has had the lugs replaced and the spare is on. The original wheel is nowhere to be found. I love Dexter torsion axles as the drum did not grind on the ground.

BTW, the state police had no interest since no one was hurt. They took info over the phone and that was all. When we get better Internet, I'll post the dashcam video.

by the sound of the safety person I spoke with, I wouldn't want to be that driver about now. It doesn't really show in this picture, but there is extensive damage to the wall of the trailer as the wheel left for parts unknown.
I drove from Sayre OK to Tucumcari NM today, into a sw headwind. Tons of truckers and every one drove professionally, about 63 to 65 mph. I had no problems. Don't let a few bad apples make a condemnation of all.
That's a nasty thing that happened to you. So relieved it wasn't worse!
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I'm a retired accident investigator. I have a couple of observations.

Third, people observed the trailer wheels did not cross the line. Of course they didn't. A series of high frequency steering inputs at the front will create the greatest movements, and the trailer's wheels will always travel inside that arc of movement. They're basically damped follower motions.
I keep hearing that same thing. Are you guys sure you are actually watching the video? Here is a snapshot taken from the video. Where is the lane separator? Hint: if you look close enough, you'll see it under the semi trailer. Note that I am already crossing the shoulder line to avoid her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-10-20-20h51m47s014.png
Views:	52
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	354652  
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
If the driver was trying to warn Ephraim the truck driver would have certainly used this as a defense. She clearly did not as the trucking company did not call Ephraim to ask him if that was true.

She probably said, "The friggin guy shouldn't be on the road with us truckers!".

That is why she got fired. No defense.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I keep hearing that same thing. Are you guys sure you are actually watching the video? Here is a snapshot taken from the video. Where is the lane separator? Hint: if you look close enough, you'll see it under the semi trailer.
I agree. She clearly crossed the line twice.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Ha ha! Yeah, she was an angel sent straight from heaven to protect the innocent! You guys are delusional. One look at how hard she brake checked him is all anyone with two brain cells needs to see to know what her intent was.
They are just armchair generals without a clue. don't worry about it.

Anyone with two brain cells would also know that you cannot see the front curbside wheel from the driver's position in a semi when following an airstream no matter how hard you try.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzstream2 View Post

One of the things I DO like about truckers is the way they will move to block selfish drivers who try to wait till the last possible second to move to a single lane when the notification that a blockage was warned about for many miles. The various state POPOs seem unwilling to bust those miscreants. I am sure you know what I mean here. Change my mind though, if you can.
Read it and weep.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traff...pper-merge.htm

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
This thread is of particular interest to me, as we have been traveling west on I 40 from Memphis for several days and are currently in Williams AZ. There are a lot of trucks on I40, and most seem to drive professionally, but there are some who need more sleep, or training, or something. Watching trucks wander out of their lane towards the shoulder at speed repeatedly causes me to back off, or look for a place to quickly pass, if possible. Also, I’m driving between 65-68, and the trucks are frequently doing the speed limit of 75. So I try to stay out of their way. Mostly, it’s been OK. We managed to dodge a pickup truck bed liner that blew out of the bed of a truck that was on a loaded car hauler. I don’t think the driver was aware that the liner went walk about. But no foul, no harm, and we will be in Palm Desert tomorrow afternoon, if the trucks don’t get us.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
I agree. Check the manual, too much torque. Does anyone know if too much torque can weaken a bolt to the point where it will shear ? Is the torque wrench properly calibrated ?? Maybe thinking 120 lb but actually 130, 140 or more ??
LOOSEN THE BOLTS AND THEN RE-TIGHTEN THEM USING A DIFFERENT TORQUE WRENCH. THEY MAY ALL BE OVER TIGHTENED!
I have both of my torque wrenches periodically calibrated at America's Tire. I torque to 110 on my Airstream wheels.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post

"If you're passing a truck, pass it" "If a truck is passing you, let it pass"

Enjoy,
So now that a truck driver did a lousy job driving, menaced our friend Ephraim here, we're supposed to be responsible and sorry for the trucking industry? This is an A hole comment that doesn't merit a response, but I've got some time.

Ephraim, you did the right thing. Any numb-nuts reviewing the video could see that the trucks were passing you on the left, and you were letting them pass. Then this last truck decided to slow and ride along parallel, and cross into your lane, even as you slowed to 50.

I've been reading all the Tuesday quarterbacking while rolling my eyes, but this last was just too much. Review the evidence of incompetence before you place the fate of the trucking industry at the feet of a fellow AS whose life and passengers were jeopardized. Ephraim, I'm relieved you and yours are safe.

"Enjoy." @@
perri is offline   Reply With Quote