Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Did go back through your rear video and see when your wheel separated from your trailer? Could it have happened just prior? Video was not quite as aggressive as I had imagined. Still stupid and dangerous, but maybe trying to get you to pull over before the single tire blew?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #42
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
While I don't doubt having a big rig slowly pass you can be unnerving, especially if it's buffeting the trailer, but at no time did I see the big rigs trailer pass over the white lines in the video.

What was the wind conditions at the time? When driving my 310 turbo diesel across the US this summer, it wasn't unusual to be buffeted around with wind that wasn't affecting other smaller vehicles around me. The truck may have been blown across his lane, which would cause him, or her to let off the gas for a bit.

Also when did it brake check you?

Are you sure the truck driver didn't spot the wheel wobble and try to warn you?

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #43
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I watched and was expecting to more aggressive driving than a little weaving. The driving I saw looked like what would come from driver inattention from, eating, texting, fiddling with the radio, ect. or as pointed out above windy conditions.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I just watched the first video, and the action starting at timestamp 1:00.

These eyes do not see what you describe in your first post, Ephraim. Sloppy driving for sure, but maybe only that?

Well said, Tony and CRH -- IMO.

Peter

FWIW

[emphasis added]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
A Prime Inc truck driver apparently thought I was her ex or something. She deliberately tried to sideswipe me 4 times traveling at 65 mph and then pulled in front of me to brake check me. This was the result of the fast, wild gyrations of the trailer at speed while I fought to not have a collision and maintain control.

I have no idea why she did this and I have it all on dashcam. I had been traveling in the right lane for over two hours with the cruise control set at 63mph.

I've already sent the dash video to the safety division of Prime and they've opened a claim number. I'll have to call them on Monday to see how to proceed.

We were stranded in a rest stop for 24 hours waiting for CoachNet to find a mobile service to come out and get us back on the road. the wheel has had the lugs replaced and the spare is on. The original wheel is nowhere to be found. I love Dexter torsion axles as the drum did not grind on the ground.

BTW, the state police had no interest since no one was hurt. They took info over the phone and that was all. When we get better Internet, I'll post the dashcam video.

by the sound of the safety person I spoke with, I wouldn't want to be that driver about now. It doesn't really show in this picture, but there is extensive damage to the wall of the trailer as the wheel left for parts unknown.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Everyone might want to take a deep breath or two -- IMO -- and re-read this entire thread.

In particular, the wheel came off later according to Post #20 below.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
. . .
I did not lose the wheel at that point. We pulled off on the next exit and check things and all seemed fine. It wasn't until about 30 minutes later that we lost the wheel. I heard a "bang" as it left the trailer. Because of the terrain, we were unable to recover the wheel. I drove on the shoulder at a slow rate with emergency flashers to the next exit which had a rest stop.

The service guy said he'd never seen one with sheer patterns on the bolts like that. It was NOT caused by loose lug nuts.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #46
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Funny how we all see different things, looking at the same video. My guess is she didn’t have enough power to pass you easily, and was sending a message for you to slow down and get out of her way. She didn’t like holding up her fellow truckers with her lengthy passing time. Almost all trucks in the video. Too many..
She clearly crossed the line twice, in what seemed like an aggressive manner.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Did go back through your rear video and see when your wheel separated from your trailer? Could it have happened just prior? Video was not quite as aggressive as I had imagined. Still stupid and dangerous, but maybe trying to get you to pull over before the single tire blew?
You have to remember that these are wide-angle lenses. The motion does not seem as aggressive because of that. (remember the panoramic rearview mirror warnings "Objects in mirror look smaller and further than they really are"? It's the same here. the motions do not seem as aggressive or large as they really are. You have to use references to make accurate determinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
While I don't doubt having a big rig slowly pass you can be unnerving, especially if it's buffeting the trailer, but at no time did I see the big rigs trailer pass over the white lines in the video.

What was the wind conditions at the time? When driving my 310 turbo diesel across the US this summer, it wasn't unusual to be buffeted around with wind that wasn't affecting other smaller vehicles around me. The truck may have been blown across his lane, which would cause him, or her to let off the gas for a bit.

Also when did it brake check you?

Are you sure the truck driver didn't spot the wheel wobble and try to warn you?

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
You obviously didn't pay attention to the videos, did you? Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I watched and was expecting to more aggressive driving than a little weaving. The driving I saw looked like what would come from driver inattention from, eating, texting, fiddling with the radio, ect. or as pointed out above windy conditions.
There were four aggressive actions on their part. The first one was minor, and I did not assume it was aggressive at that point. I simply turned the cruise control off at that point and began to slow down. Over the next minute or so, the driver slowed down with me and made three more aggressive actions, two of which caused the trailer to move into my line over two feet. The third would have made contact with me had I not been paying attention. The truck pulled in front of me with only about 15 feet clearance and then brake checked me which is an obvious aggressive action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I just watched the first video, and the action starting at timestamp 1:00.

These eyes did not see what you describe in your first post. Sloppy driving for sure, but maybe only that?

Peter

FWIW

[emphasis added]
Try again. Prime opened the insurance claim on their own volition. They recognized the actions of their driver as agressive.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Funny how we all see different things, looking at the same video. My guess is she didn’t have enough power to pass you easily, and was sending a message for you to slow down and get out of her way. She didn’t like holding up her fellow truckers with her lengthy passing time. Almost all trucks in the video. Too many..
She clearly crossed the line twice, in what seemed like an aggressive manner.
The brake check after she moves into my line is what clearly shows all preceding actions were intentional. The video encodes GPS and speed data into the stream and it shows me slowing down. When she realizes that I am doing so, she also slows down to maintain the position. She had more than enough power to pass me. After the incident, the videos clearly show her accelerating away from me. The entire incident occurred on flat land with no rise or decline. At the start of the incident, I am traveling at 63mph. Just before she brake checks me, I am only doing 48mph.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I have watched both of the video's twice, and reread the OP's various posts several times and have to make these comments. By the OP's statement that it was "very windy", I would assume that the subject truck was either running empty or with a very light load. These trailers are subject to winds much more than a flat deck or heavily loaded trailer. Driver inattention, on the phone or texting "could" have caused the incursions into your lane. It does not appear that it was "intentional" as was stated, or it would have been much more aggresive manouvers. The "brake check" as described, "could" have been trying to tell you that there was a visible problem with your wheel. No contact was made with your unit by the semi trailer unit. The "fast, wild gyrations of the trailer" are no more than I have seen on many trailers going down the road in very windy conditions. There is no indication by the OP of what the tow vehicle is, and if it is suited to tow a trailer of this size. A Pro Pride hitch on a vehicle does not garantee that it is suited to tow a trailer of this size. Applying brakes aggresively, and not having the trailer brakes set up properly can also cause this type of sway. There are many unanswered questions in this thread. I do not believe that this was "intentional" as stated by the OP, or the results would have been very different. There is no possible way that the loss of the tire and wheel can be blamed on this incident. If it was, there would be tires and wheels lost all over the country every hour of every day. I understand the feelings the OP has, but there is "more to the story". JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
“Aggressive” implies a level of intentionality which is not immediately apparent to these eyes. A severely fatigued/drugged truck driver could have been the root cause of all of this IMO.

Prime obviously does not want drivers like this on the road, regardless of cause.

Bowing out here.

Good luck,

Peter

PS — Well said, CBWELL.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
All the professional drivers I worked with were paranoid about causing an accident and kissing their CDL goodbye.
She needs to loose hers.
IF it was a long uphill slog, I could see a trucker getting frustrated. However, you didn't speed up, so she had no reason to cut in, then brake. Or ever cross the white line.
Any more, when a trucker is passing me, I just kick off the cruise and let them go.
Prime needs to see this as well as the DOT cops.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
So she hit your trailer, broke the wheel and caused you to struggle with control as the rear end of your Airstream swayed? Which of her four sideswipe attempts hit the mark? Sounds like a good case for assault.

I experienced some crazy big rig drivers in New Mexico and Arizona last week while towing our Airstream on I 40. Both states need to lower truck (and tour bus) speed limits to 55 mph as in California. It feels like they are on the ragged edge of control at 75 mph.
I disagree with the 55 limit for certain vehicle types. Being slower than normal traffic just causes risks for more accidents. It's safer if everyone travels with the flow of traffic. Less reasons to have to get into a passing situation to go around slow pokes.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I'd be willing to give the semi-driver the benefit of the doubt, right up until the brake check. It's unacceptable and dangerous for anyone to do. It also points to the fact that the earlier lane incursions were likely on purpose. They should lose their license, they don't have the temperament for being a trucker.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I was watching the lane markers on the road and could clearly see you slowing and slowing. If the sami was unloaded and being pushed by wind, she surely had enough power to get out of the way. That driver WAS playing cat to your mouse.
The semi that followed her would have been a witness! No wonder she finally gave up.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
The semi driver may have been inexperienced and scared. Just a thought.

Glad you are safe and it was worth reporting for investigation.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
September 30, 2019, a Prime driver between Lexington and Frankfort, KY, on I-64, didn't slow down to the posted 55 mph when entering a construction area and plowed his rig into the rear of a Jeep, killing the driver. He also hit an SUV, injuring the passenger. The prime driver admitted to watching a video on his cell phone at the time and not wearing his required glasses. He's being charged with murder.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Tr...562647581.html

Prime and Swift drivers are dangerous, discourteous and downright nasty. I was given the finger for being in the middle lane and going the speed limit of 70.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #57
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
He was very polite in the regards that he used his turn signal just prior to entering your lane and brake checking you....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Some 20 years ago, was pulling a friends Wells Cargo box trailer loaded with four Harley's from Virginia to Daytona Beach, FL. 700 miles into the 750 mile run, late at night, we lost a wheel on the curb side and it sheared off all five lug bolts flush with the brake drum. Problem originated from loose lug nuts none of us thought to check before leaving. Turned out some kids were jumping the fence and loosening lug nuts on several trailers at the storage lot he stored the trailer. On original post, could not see clearly what the sheared lug bolts looked like, but on my incident, you could not have cut them any cleaner with a cutting wheel or torch.

On my lost wheel incident, it was a single axle trailer, so needless to say, we instantly knew when it came off. I-95 was lit up with sparks flying and we saw the wheel pass us in the right shoulder grass as it went out of sight into the woods.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #59
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We hear how bad it is out there, but more often than not we get courtesy and help from most professional drivers. The problems are merging vehicles that can't do it and won't slow to drop in behind. There is an assumption that you will move over a lane even when it's full.

I40 - recent thread suggested it was an easy and efficient drive West into the BRP area. It is not. A minor accident cleanup and construction that was not blocking travel slowed two sections to stopped traffic for 15-30 minutes. We lost about 2 hours travel time. The trucks were not the problem.

Just be careful out there. Back off. Move with the flow. Let the limit pushers get well out in front. Watch that they don't cut you off when trying to pass and stay below the ticket trigger speed-limit. Make room for the trucks. Stay clear of the multiple trailer rigs. Pass on the uphill and don't get concerned if they blow past on the down hill. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I agree with Ephraim, the camera is very wide-angle and will hide a lot of the motion. The rear camera is a better indication. The truck driver looks like she went 2-3 feet into his lane. He reacts by moving over. The trailer starts to shake, something a ProPride almost never allows. That means it was violent. Here is where I disagree with what should have happened.

I would have started to slow and turned on my flashers. Then continue to slow to get out of her way. You cannot slam on your brakes or you will get hit from behind. She gave you plenty of warning that she was crazy, you should have recognized that way earlier. You are never going to win against an 80,000-pound semi.

My wife has a distinct fear of those semis. I've learned to get out of their way. Aggressive driving, while there are many semis on the road and around you, is not a winning strategy. Prime drivers are all underpaid, probably non-union. They are also very inexperienced. That driver was clearly fighting the wind. She probably forgot about you as she dealt with the swaying of her rig. Once she thought she was passed you, she incorrectly hit the brakes to slow herself down to cope better with the wind. She clearly handled this wrong and should not be driving.

I'm returning a battery charger I just bought from Amazon. Take that!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote