Old 05-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Restoring Air Cushion in Alde

Today, I emptied the Alde hot water tank per the manual instructions. This was done to restore the air cushion.

After completely draining, almost 30 minutes, I closed both valves and turned the city water back on.

The faucets were open from the draining procedure.

Taps had lots of air but then the water flowed like normal. I then turned the Alde system back on.

Is there a correct refill process?

Thanks.

Chuck

charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Birch Bay , Washington
Sounds right to me, as long as the open faucets were set to run water through the hot water piping.

mdaley21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Yep, has worked that way for us since October of 2016 on our 2017.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Yup. And you will need to do this weekly while traveling or full timing. It goes a little faster if you open the interior faucets while draining.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Restoring Air Cushion in Alde

We are trying to put the valves back to normal use from winterizing. Now we have no water coming through the hot water positions of the faucets. Is there a step I am missing? Valves 1, 2, and 3 are open 4 is closed. Does it just take a while to fill the system before it starts coming out? Do you run water to force the water through?
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:37 AM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Ajw, yes. Make sure you are connected to city water that the connection is open or turn on the internal water pump (make sure to have water in the fresh water tank). Open all facets and let the aire escape. It might sound a little loud and rough but you should see water in under one minute. I let the water run for another couple of minutes or so to flush the lines a little before using any water.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Lauri,

Thanks for all the great input. How do you determine when you need to restore the air cushion? Or do you just do it weekly as a preventive measure?

Yes, we are full time as well. KenneysSeeAmerica.com

Thanks

Chuck
Old 05-06-2018, 05:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Lauri,

Thanks for all the great input. How do you determine when you need to restore the air cushion? Or do you just do it weekly as a preventive measure?

Yes, we are full time as well. KenneysSeeAmerica.com

Thanks

Chuck
The owners manual says about monthly. However, after about 190 nights many camped in one site without moving I've come to find that about every week works much better. The "sign" for me is a small puddle under the trailer where the drain for water is from the Alde. When I see that, no matter how long it's been I re-establish the air cushion. A bit of a pain, but no big deal for me.

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #9
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Chuck, while full timing you’ll start to notice that the hot water is less hot. This is because the water in boiler needs to be able to expand a little while heating. Over a period of about 5-7 days as the cooler water enters the boiler during showers that air pocket inside the tank starts to less and less so the water has less room to expand while being heated for the next shower. As an example, on Monday you might see that the sanitary water temps says 148* or 151* just before you step into the shower but by Friday the number is down to 128*. 128* degree water temp would be fine on its own but that hot water gets mixed in with cold water at the mixing valve under the dinette. By the time that mixed water gets to the shower it’s Luke warm at best.
By popping the pressure valve and opening the drain valve, allowing all water to empty you are restoring that air pocket to allow for better expansion.
It’s probably not necessary to drain the entire tank to reestablish that air pocket but I do it just to make sure I have as much air in the boiler as possible. Oh, and AS will not recommend water temperature like mine for legal reasons. If traveling with the elderly or very young they may not be able to adjust the hot and cold water at the faucet fast enough resulting in a serious health hazard. I have tweaked my sittings a lot and I can get sanitary temp readings up to 161* at the start of the weekly cycle which is seriously hot water but by the time it gets to the shower it’s down to about 150* and declines quickly during the shower. The next day the starting temp may be at 158* and so on.
Hope this helps and I that wasn’t too long winded.
I love my AS and the Alde but there is a learning curve. Even after 18 months I learned something new almost every day.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
This is very good information. And I did find the problem with my hot water. My husband had changed the valves from the way the were supposed to be winterized to the normal operation, however, the hidden #1 valve had been left open during or after winterization and he had closed it. Opening it back up gave us hot water.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Lauri,

Thank you !

Chuck
Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 AM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
As Bud pointed out the best visual clue that it’s time to replenish the air pocket is a small puddle of water outside, street side in the front part of the AS. I am guessing that this happens because of increased pressure in the boiler but I am not an expert on these things. I just drain the boiler weekly now instead of waiting to see the puddle or noticing a cooler shower temp.
I can’t take any credit for any of the suggestions I may post, I’m just passing on information I learned from folks here on the forum and from more experienced AS owner.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Where in the manual do they explain restoring the air cushion? We emptied the tank because of hot water temp going down.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
Where in the manual do they explain restoring the air cushion? We emptied the tank because of hot water temp going down.

But not sure if we did it right...