Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Recommended Upgrades/Options on Newer Classic

We are considering trading our 2013 Keystone Montana fifth wheel on a a newer 30’ Classic.

Currently have a vintage 1974 Trade Wind that has been extensively refurbished; and have had and sold a 31’ Excella in the past so we are not new to airstreams and know somewhat what to expect. Currently retired, have a sticks and bricks house; and spend up to three months at a time traveling in the RV.

Want two ducted air conditioners, comfortable recliner seating and from what I have read the updated 3020 Alde system is a desirable way to go. Will want solar also to at minimum keep batteries charged as expect to do some boon docking in the southwest.

Please suggest other options/upgrades that you have found useful. And even comment on what features in the late model Classics have not lived up to your expectations. If we end up buying from a dealer, what would you have the dealer change/ upgrade/ check out before completing the transaction.

Thanks for your help!

Dave
iowajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Once you put the 3020 Alde on the list, you have narrowed the year range down quite a bit. Even with "just Alde" on the list, you are looking at a 2017 or newer Classic. Those are all new enough to be fairly expensive. A new 2019 with a three year warranty *might* also be something to benchmark against.

All options and mods are specific to what an individual wants / needs / likes. What works for me and our use pattern may not make any sense at all to others. That said, what we've done:

1) Yanked the center from the sofa and replaced it with a highly custom 3D printed / plywood storage unit. Likely not for everybody but it gives us a "home" for a whole lot of stuff. It all can ride in place and that makes setup and tear down much quicker.

2) Added more solar panels. The Classic just sitting there doing nothing pulls a bit over 1A running the control system. The fridge pulls a bit over an amp as well. We normally have an internet connection going and the associated "stuff" is also a bit over an amp. Toss in the fantastic fan pulling 1 to 3 A and you are up in the vicinity of 4 to 6A drain. Keeping up with that on the stock solar here in the east .... not so much.

3) Switched to lithium batteries. Again a very use specific thing. 400AH is not what everybody needs or wants. To me lithium was the only way to get 400AH usable without giving up *way* more storage than I wanted to loose. Camping where we camp and doing what we do, the 400AH took us from "always on the edge" to "don't really worry anymore".

4) Replaced the stock converter / charger and inverter. This was driven by two factors. The first was that the stock converter died and I really had no faith in how it was built. The aftermarket replacement died in an even shorter period of time. I ultimately went with a Victron Multi 2000 inverter / charger mounted in the same location as the stock inverter. It has done very well. The second driver was (obviously) the lithium conversion and matching the converter to the batteries.

Past that, not a whole lot other than the usual "Command Strip" accessories here and there to hang up coats and hold this and that. We did put the "new" shade on the fantastic fan. It helps when it's really hot out and the A/C is laboring.

====

The one big debate that never will end is the bedding option. Queen or Twin? That will be gone over forever and ever. We went with the twin beds. It's worked very well for us. Storage is easy to get to and the aisle down the center is more sensible to us. Indeed others are every bit as happy with their queen bed setups.
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, there is not much to add with the stock classic. It comes with all the options. I would definitely consider the twin bed option over the queen. Lots more room in the back to get dressed and you gain the outside storage compartments on both sides. Plenty of storage in the bedroom with the pull-out hardwood drawers under the bed (4) and the 3-4" storage directly under the mattresses. We keep winter clothes in there.

The only other decision is if you need an oven. We opted to have just the microwave and convection oven (with air fryer) and gained the drawers under the cooktop. We do not miss the oven at all and have gotten pretty efficient with the convection oven. It works very very well for us.

Color of countertops and seats is the last thing. I would not be afraid of the black Corian as you probably heard it shows the scratch more. We love the black countertops with the cherry walnut dark wood finishes. Very classy!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Option wise, there have not been a lot of choices on the Classic over the last couple years. Floor plan, colors, and the above mentioned "stove delete" have been there. They have played a bit with things like the backup camera and solar. A lot of dealers simply order the trailer with "all the options" regardless of what the factory decides to do. The cost of doing it that way is pretty small compared to the total price of the trailer.

Given the complexity of the trailer, having a factory warranty *is* worth thinking about. I have never looked into the transferability of the factory warranty. I *assume* it transfers, but I've been wrong before. With a three year warranty it is a bit more likely used trailers will pop up still in warranty.

Bob
Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
We added a smart plug and a 15’ and 30’ cord with the plugs. So much easier to use for DW. Did not get on board EMS in case it goes bad (can’t bypass when built in).

Insulate the storage areas. Easy starts depending on whether you will always have 50A or not and the weather where you go. Alde is the greatest but there is not a ‘cooling’ version. I wish there was.

I don’t find the recliners the most comfortable I have ever had but they are ok. We are considering changing them to give us more storage by removing the arm storage and better ‘between the chairs’ storage as others mentioned. It seems we need storage for a sewing machine and cat box. Who knew?

We swapped mattresses to our favorite (there is no single best) and linens. Also consider how much clothes hanging space you need. We are also considering converting some of the wardrobe to pantry. Everyone has their unique preferences. Our cats have theirs it seems.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Just a suggestion, but if you plan to boondock in areas that are windy, you might want to consider some of the solar/wind package units sold on Amazon.

RV'ers who spent winter in Key West at the Navy Base boondock area use these often. Wind turbine at night keeps your batteries charged.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies.

I learned from uncle_bob that the 2016’s were pre-Alde. I had been under the impression that the 3020 was a significant upgrade to the 3010 and that’s why I limited my choice. But if the 2016’s had 50 amp service and two air conditioners, I will certainly include them in consideration.

Solar upgrade comments concerning changing the stock converter / charger to match up to lithium batteries and additional solar panels are much appreciated.

A twin bed option is appealing to us vs the queen bed. We had a queen in our 2001 Excella which is very similar to the Classic floor plan and the accessibility both inside and from the outside to under the beds looks desirable.

As mentioned with the complexity of these units; and the absolute horrible quality control coming out of Jackson Center I’ve heard and talked to owners about, a 3 year factory warranty may be a major consideration.

One thing not mentioned was the installation of a 2” or 3” lift kit. Coming down a steep incline to a level roadbed I’ve suspected dragging the the rear end of the Excella in the past. Is anyone aware of any downside to adding a few inches of clearance with a lift kit.

The input from uncle_bob, turk123, LilPeanut and Mike1997 is again much appreciated and gives us better insight as we pursue the “Cosmic Classic” to carry us through the next 10 years or so.

Best Regards

Dave
Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
A small item, but I like the AS flag box, provides more storage.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajones View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies.

I learned from uncle_bob that the 2016’s were pre-Alde. I had been under the impression that the 3020 was a significant upgrade to the 3010 and that’s why I limited my choice. But if the 2016’s had 50 amp service and two air conditioners, I will certainly include them in consideration.

Solar upgrade comments concerning changing the stock converter / charger to match up to lithium batteries and additional solar panels are much appreciated.

A twin bed option is appealing to us vs the queen bed. We had a queen in our 2001 Excella which is very similar to the Classic floor plan and the accessibility both inside and from the outside to under the beds looks desirable.

As mentioned with the complexity of these units; and the absolute horrible quality control coming out of Jackson Center I’ve heard and talked to owners about, a 3 year factory warranty may be a major consideration.

One thing not mentioned was the installation of a 2” or 3” lift kit. Coming down a steep incline to a level roadbed I’ve suspected dragging the the rear end of the Excella in the past. Is anyone aware of any downside to adding a few inches of clearance with a lift kit.

The input from uncle_bob, turk123, LilPeanut and Mike1997 is again much appreciated and gives us better insight as we pursue the “Cosmic Classic” to carry us through the next 10 years or so.

Best Regards

Dave
Hi

Quality out of JC is no better / no worse than it ever was. What is true is that there are people who have a whole lot of fun moaning about it.

The 3010 works pretty well. The 3020 is indeed a bit better. Either way, the big deal is the hydronic heat vs furnace / heat pump. Having truly silent heat is a *very* nice thing. It also pulls less off the battery than the older approach with a big blower on the furnace.

We have though about a lift kit but not done it. We've been down some really nonsense roads and in and out of things like corn fields (harvested, but fields none the less) with a "stock" trailer. So far nothing has dragged.

Given the "thin" market in newer used AS trailers, and the relatively small number of 30' Classic twin's produced, shopping for a used one *probably* will take a while. Indeed you might get lucky, you also could still be looking well after the end of camping season. To me, that's a pretty big deal. Get out and go camping !!!!

Bob
Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
My only feedback is before being dead set on a Classic/Alde system, take a good look at the other models with two ACs in the size you are interested in. You might be able to get a Flying Cloud for thousands less, and customize it to your specific needs.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
My only feedback is before being dead set on a Classic/Alde system, take a good look at the other models with two ACs in the size you are interested in. You might be able to get a Flying Cloud for thousands less, and customize it to your specific needs.
Hi

One would guess that the delta would be in the tens of thousands less on 2016 or newer versions.

Bob
Old 08-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Stainless Options

I like the bright shiny exterior. There aren't a lot of places to upgrade the newer Classics. On our 2017 Classic most of the exterior fittings are stainless, with a few exceptions.. I replaced the stock, plastic exterior electrical outlet cover with a stainless one. Had to buy it from the dealer as I could not find one anywhere else in the horizontal configuration. I will be replacing the plastic cover over the Cable/Sat connections as well. That leaves the exhaust port for the Alde system which is a dark gray plastic. I haven't seen a stainless replacement anywhere.

If you plan or think you'll do any driving in winter conditions, you might look at replacing the exterior Utility Compartments at the rear of the trailer with stainless. Our AS has two: the one on the street side is the water hookup and the other is an open box. Last December we drove home through ice and sleet and the accompanying road additives that are sprayed down in these conditions. This spring I found significant rust in both boxes. If you are buying used be sure to inspect these compartments.

You can order stainless box replacements through airstreamsupply.com They are not inexpensive, but they are on our list for future upgrades. This company carries a selection of SS upgrades for Airstreams, along with other spare parts and accessories.

I plan on replacing the converter in the near future with a multi-stage unit.

I installed the internal surge protector from Progressive Industries. I chose the hardwired unit with the remote display. With a glance I can see how many amps are being drawn through each leg and verify there are no issues. The remote unit also has a switch so you can bypass the surge protector should you ever want to. It wasn't too hard to install once I cleaned up the rat's nest of excessive wiring under the dinette seat. Apparently JC doesn't issue wire cutters or wire routing and mounting hardware to their electricians. Some of the wire runs were more than 5 feet longer than needed.

I changed out the toilet valve for the one that has the spray head on a hose. Easy upgrade and not to expensive. Makes flushing/cleaning the toilet bowl much easier. I think this can be ordered as a factory option.

As others said, most everything else is going to be personal preference. We did find and add a stainless paper towel holder under the galley cabinets and a stainless, magnetic knife holder over the stove. DW really appreciates both of these.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Adding to Uncle Bob’s and others suggestions a couple after market items: Maxim skylight and hard wired kill switch for the power awning, a shorter power cord (the one that comes with the Classic is a bear to haul around especially in winter. I know I’ve done more but for the life of me I can’t remember what they were. Dang! The incline sofa is not comfortable at all and I would strongly suggest either new stand alone recliner or as others have done, additional storage.
As Turk mentioned, don’t be afraid of the black countertops, they are easy to keep clean and with a little extra care scratches are not an issue. Interior decor is obviously a personal thing but I’m extremely happy with the black countertop, cherry cabinet and light furniture. IMO it’s a more polished look. Also just my opinion, I love the ducted AC but HATE the directional vents. They restrict air flow, allowed condensation to build up and mine kept falling out so I was delighted when I was able to score 8 air vent covers from older model Flying Cloud. They’re just round pop in covers with mesh and no slats.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I’m not sure the Aldi system is worth the space, weight and price. On my older Classic, I added a catalytic heater for quieter heating and colder nights. And, a Precision Temp instant water heater. The whole arrangement sounds (pun intended) and is simpler. Two A/Cs, not ducted, will deliver more cool air than ducted. The best scheme with these is to use the rear to cool the front and the front to cool the rear until the temperature gets high enough to require both. I would look at getting a solar system installed by yourself, with A M Solar parts or done by someone like Lew Ferber (lewster). The factory system is barely adequate. A robust after market solar system frees you from the grid, Add a compost toilet with the separated urine plumbed into the black tank, grey holding tank capacity increases to 74 gallons in my case with the 34’. Now we really have independence and can boon dock anywhere, anytime. We are enjoying these features and in the grand scheme of thing they are cheaper than a new Airstream.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You very much need to experience an Alde setup to fully appreciate it. Uniform heat throughout the trailer. No noise. No massive humidity dump inside the trailer. No giant drain on the 12V system. No more space taken up than the old approach .... very nice.

Bob
Old 08-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
A 2nd on Alde! And we really like the ducted air.
Uncle Bob could you post a picture of your sofa modification ?
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Another consideration with the alde is the battery draw that started increasing with the addition of the electronic systems. 2017 and 2018 end up making it about 1 day before the battery is dead. 2019+ as a result have solar systems automatic.

I have an 18 and do not have a lift kit. I have already hit my bumper on those odd humps and bumps. Still not interested in raising the height though.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
A 2nd on Alde! And we really like the ducted air.
Uncle Bob could you post a picture of your sofa modification ?
Hi

Not at all sure how much good this will do. It's *always* in this sort of shape

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1565100328

Yes, it's sideways ... sorry about that.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...attach/jpg.gif

Each of the "chunks" was printed individually. It's a guess, but I'd say well over 500 hours of print time went into various passes.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Wow! The continued comments are very helpful. We are looking now beyond a Classic/Alde configuration at other models that have the two AC’s but without Alde. The savings could well be in the 10’s of thousands and some of that could be spent on customization/upgrades that would increase the livability/functionality of the unit to better suit us. Some of those ideas as suggested in this thread really give us food for thought.

Thanks Again!

Dave
Old 08-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Adding to Uncle Bob’s and others suggestions a couple after market items: Maxim skylight and hard wired kill switch for the power awning, a shorter power cord (the one that comes with the Classic is a bear to haul around especially in winter. I know I’ve done more but for the life of me I can’t remember what they were. Dang! The incline sofa is not comfortable at all and I would strongly suggest either new stand alone recliner or as others have done, additional storage.
As Turk mentioned, don’t be afraid of the black countertops, they are easy to keep clean and with a little extra care scratches are not an issue. Interior decor is obviously a personal thing but I’m extremely happy with the black countertop, cherry cabinet and light furniture. IMO it’s a more polished look. Also just my opinion, I love the ducted AC but HATE the directional vents. They restrict air flow, allowed condensation to build up and mine kept falling out so I was delighted when I was able to score 8 air vent covers from older model Flying Cloud. They’re just round pop in covers with mesh and no slats.

Hi Kendrick.I.j

Could you elaborate on your suggestion for a hardwired killswitch for the powered awning. If I could I would not get a power awning at all, but seems the newer ones come standard with them. Why do you suggest the switch and how do you go about installing one?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Dave