Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Quality problems with our 2019 Classic 33 Twin

Has anyone who has taken delivery of a new Classic have had issues with the manufacturer quality as we have? We took delivery end of January and have ours in at the dealer to fix a long list of problems.
Water leak in the wet wall damaged the wood all needs replacing
Powered shades inoperable
See daylight at the door edge
Deadbolt not aligned
Shower head drips constantly
Black tank sensors never worked
Tank flush has water pouring out on the ground when I try to use it
Bathroom fan problems
Please tank sensors sometimes work sometimes not

With the huge price tag, the Airstream name, One would think the manufacturer would make sure the product was perfect before sending out the door.

Let’s see how the dealer does..
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0392 View Post
Has anyone who has taken delivery of a new Classic have had issues with the manufacturer quality as we have? We took delivery end of January and have ours in at the dealer to fix a long list of problems.
Water leak in the wet wall damaged the wood all needs replacing
Powered shades inoperable
See daylight at the door edge
Deadbolt not aligned
Shower head drips constantly
Black tank sensors never worked
Tank flush has water pouring out on the ground when I try to use it
Bathroom fan problems
Please tank sensors sometimes work sometimes not

With the huge price tag, the Airstream name, One would think the manufacturer would make sure the product was perfect before sending out the door.

Unfortunately, the quality even with the Classics is hit and miss. We had lots to fix after traveling for 7 months. Did all these things happen right away to yours or over time? We took ours directly to the factory and all eighteen items were fixed with no questions asked. Superior work.

I believe the techs that work in the service department just scratch their heads and roll their eyes just thinking about the factory guys and their work!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Mike0392,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we learn more and escalate to our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.*
Old 11-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Airstream will make it right. It’s unfortunate that it’s par for the course. As much as we want our trailers to be perfect all the time, there is no way of knowing how the shake down test will impact each one. I’m happy that airstream gave us a two year bumper to bumper no hassle warranty. The newest ones have three years, evident they stand behind their product!

The good news is once it’s all dialed back in, you’ll love it.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0392 View Post

Been there, done that, 2x. A fairly common tale if you do a search here for quality, problems, etc. All the info here on this forum is well documented traversing a good number of years, maybe even a decade or more. End of the world type stuff? Nope. Unfortunate and disgraceful, you bet. Having owned two new Airstreams, I can tell you honestly- without hesitation-- fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I will never own another brand spanking new Airstream again for some of the reasons you mention. After reading a good number of posts, I'm sorry, I just can't accept the excuses that it's hand built, or that so many similar problems happen after the unit leaves the factory. I'd own a pre-owned Airstream for sure, now, in retrospect after someone else has taken the somewhat disastrous depreciation hit and worked through most of the issues after a couple of years of ownership. I'd like to say it's just Airstream, but to me it seems to be a more systemic problem across the bulk of RV industry, maybe even more-so now that most manufacturers can't keep up with demand. Of course laying down $15k to $30k for a problematic trailer is one thing, once you start getting near or over $100k, just painful to think about.

Hopefully your dealer is a good one and if you respond to the factory post here, they will ensure that the unit is 110%.

Dealers, like build quality are also very hit and miss as well- ask me how I know.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Airstream will make it right. It’s unfortunate...………..
Yep! Welcome to the club. We love ours too, but I also have a list. Just fixed everything myself so far.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Been there, done that, 2x. A fairly common tale if you do a search here for quality, problems, etc. All the info here on this forum is well documented traversing a good number of years, maybe even a decade or more. End of the world type stuff? Nope. Unfortunate and disgraceful, you bet. Having owned two new Airstreams, I can tell you honestly- without hesitation-- fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I will never own another brand spanking new Airstream again for some of the reasons you mention. After reading a good number of posts, I'm sorry, I just can't accept the excuses that it's hand built, or that so many similar problems happen after the unit leaves the factory. I'd own a pre-owned Airstream for sure, now, in retrospect after someone else has taken the somewhat disastrous depreciation hit and worked through most of the issues after a couple of years of ownership. I'd like to say it's just Airstream, but to me it seems to be a more systemic problem across the bulk of RV industry, maybe even more-so now that most manufacturers can't keep up with demand. Of course laying down $15k to $30k for a problematic trailer is one thing, once you start getting near or over $100k, just painful to think about.

Hopefully your dealer is a good one and if you respond to the factory post here, they will ensure that the unit is 110%.

Dealers, like build quality are also very hit and miss as well- ask me how I know.
Couldn't agree more. Especially the part about "....getting near or over $100K , just being painful..."

Many will say quality issues are systemic in the RV industry. Not sure why that is a valid excuse on a $100K+ unit. Our last trailer was a $20K SOB. It had fewer issues than our 2017 Classic 30.

And I'm not comparing the SOB to the advanced systems on the Classic. Many of the issues we've experienced are on systems that are in both trailers. And a lot of the issues are/were fit and finish, many more of these than on the SOB. The SOB also came standard with the kit at the water pump to winterize, something our $100K trailer was lacking.

Some may disagree, but I think we should be able to expect better for the kind of money we put out for Airstreams. I'm with Panamerican; I'll never lay down the money for a brand new AS again. I'll let someone else deal with the factory headaches, then buy their used, yet correctly completed, trailer.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
I recently toyed with the idea of selling my older Airstream and buying a 2019 or 2020 Classic. However, after the factory was no help at all locating the few parts I needed for my older trailer (even just 5 or 6 years ago they were top notch), the very thin skins on new trailers, and the well documented new trailer quality issues with that only get addressed in a reactive manner, I've decided that this will probably be my last Airstream. I don't mind paying when the quality and design of the product is aligned with the price, but that is no longer the case with Airstream. Very sad that it's now just a cash cow for THOR.
SMPLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I could add a number of things to that list. The other problem with AS is the poor dealer service. The latest dealer we used gave the trailer back with something broken every time and they don't care. As time goes on I regret the purchase more and more.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
I could add a number of things to that list. The other problem with AS is the poor dealer service. The latest dealer we used gave the trailer back with something broken every time and they don't care. As time goes on I regret the purchase more and more.
I know exactly how you feel..not because of dealer quality, mine is fine. But the distance to the nearest dealer and the wait time for service, coupled with the never-ending problems make me regret the decision. For me it is one of wrong expectations. I had spent time on the Forum but that really did not make me understand all of the things that will happen. My expectation was the history of my cars and boats. Clearly RV's are not in the ballpark. Vacation rentals would have made more sense when we left boating behind.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Agree

The factory techs their service manager and all involved try hard and work hard to fix what should not slip out the door in the factory. Now should a new owner spend more time at the factory service department than camping. NO! but the blessing is they are there to fix it .

I am hoping that the new factory brings better work conditions , technology more supervision and a revamped standard of quality control- we can only hope- ARE YOU LISTENING Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Unfortunately, the quality even with the Classics is hit and miss. We had lots to fix after traveling for 7 months. Did all these things happen right away to yours or over time? We took ours directly to the factory and all eighteen items were fixed with no questions asked. Superior work.

I believe the techs that work in the service department just scratch their heads and roll their eyes just thinking about the factory guys and their work!
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Mike please post back when you get your service complete. I'd be interested in your impression of the service you get assuming you are at the Colorado dealer.

This is my third Airstream and while I have had a few issues on each none of them stopped me from camping. I've always taken the drive to Jackson Center, especially while under warranty, rather than do the dealer dance of see ya in 6 to 8 weeks and then we will need it for 4-6 weeks to make all of the fixes due to needing parts. No thanks.

My biggest item on my trip to the factory, leaving tomorrow, is issues with the CZone system. Very likely a bad COI module and maybe screen module. Dealer admitted they hadn't worked on the CZone. I took the time to do all of the trouble shooting following all of the CZone training materials. Used all of the CZone software, built a testing connection. Talked with some other CZone techs and everything looks fine with the exception of the COI.

The JC service department has already made sure that they have replacement modules in stock so may be an easy repair.

I'm a believer that there is no perfect trailer. Everything could work coming off of the line and the first tow by the transit company is the actual first time everything gets shaken up and stirred in a blender. Dealers should find those and there are a few dealers out there that take the pre delivery inspection seriously. Others leave it up to the new owner to get the shock of their lives.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
The AS I have will be the last I own. Thankfully I have had few problems. But I would agree that dealer servicing is a hassle. Part of the problem is that AS allows for limited dealers per state. In WI and MN there’s only one. I understand they want their dealers to succeed, but one shouldn’t have to wait months for a service item.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Airstream will make it right. It’s unfortunate that it’s par for the course. As much as we want our trailers to be perfect all the time, there is no way of knowing how the shake down test will impact each one. I’m happy that airstream gave us a two year bumper to bumper no hassle warranty. The newest ones have three years, evident they stand behind their product!

Not the experience I’ve had.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Standish , California
Thumbs up

I feel as though we have dodged a bullet...our brand new 2018 27FC has been great. After putting 6,000 miles on it the only issue was the pipe noise when using the water pump. Our dealer (J.D. Sanders in Florida) fixed it in 15 minutes with some insulation and zip ties. But, J.D. has an outstanding reputation with Airstream, so they may have done any needed repairs before putting it on the lot.
StephiesNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
……..

This is my third Airstream and while I have had a few issues on each none of them stopped me from camping.
EXACTLY! Well said.
The reason AS gets away with the quality issues IMHO opinion is that there simply is no competition in their unique category. There is currently no SOB that we would be as happy owning.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
2019 - 33' Classic

2019 33' Classic
Grand Junction , Colorado
Following - thank you!
RickyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
Not the experience I’ve had.

Lol. Thanks. Very informative post

Follow our adventures!
Old 11-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Lol. Thanks. Very informative post
What more would you like? Our biggest problem was pointed out to the dealer on our first service, two months after delivery. The closet door was not closing right, the adjusted the hinges. The problem got worse and the next visit the did it again. They never tried to figure out the problem that was Huse getting worse and worse until everything thing made a major shift. They pushed this problem off until the warranty had expired. It cost me a bundle to fix and will never be right. We had solar panels fail within warranty and they charged labor to fix them, $720. I can go on an on. Letter go un answered. It’s a 2017 so I guess it’s to be expected. Sure people have had Airstreams with few problems but if you do have problems the dealer isn’t going to try to hard.

Microwave started falling out first trip
River count - 28 in two years
Failed furnace
Failed AC control board
TV antenna wire fail
Countless loose screws
Overhead cabinets sagging
Solar panels
Closet shifting
Batteries dead 2 years

This is some of the problems we’ve had with the most expensive trailer brand.
If the 2017’s have known quality issues the the warranty should be extended.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Hmmm. Sorry to hear, was all your service experience with the dealer or did you make it out to JC at some point during warranty?

We have had numerous dealer services and our warranty expires December of this year. I’ve already called JC and gave them 3 reoccurring items and they set me up for an appointment in April of next year to address them under warranty.

As I said, in my personal experience. Airstream will go above and beyond to stand behind their trailers.

Follow our adventures!