Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
Preferred Hitch Set Up - Pro Pride for Classic 33

I know that there are many threads on this in the "hitch" forum area - but I am curious as to what hitch configurations other Classic 33 owners use. I tow with a F250 with a larger receiver. I have looked at the Pro Pride - but am curious as to the experience anyone on the forum has had towing the Classic 33 with one of these hitches.

Thanks in advance!
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Similar but not exactly the same rig, F350 towing a 30’ with tongue weight of 1250 lbs. I bought a like new pro-pride just to see what the fuss was about. We just traveled 7k miles over the winter so I have had ample experience to express an opinion. For my combination I experienced no difference in handling compared to Equalizer brand 4 point or EZ lift with double sway controllers. All 3 of which were far better then the dual cam setup.
I’ll keep the pro pride as I like the additional space between the truck and the trailer and contrary to some I fine hitch/unhitch much easier than the others. Shorter less capable tow vehicles may have different results.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Not a 33 but we are now towing a 2018 30’ Classic with our Chevy 2500 and the ProPride Hitch.

Once installed (did it myself) towing is a breeze. Zero to little sway and I’ve never felt like the trailer was getting away from me. Prior to the Classic, I had the same truck, with the ProPride, towing a 30’ International over 25,000 miles last year with out an issue or incident.

Moving the ProPride over to the Classic took me a half of a day. Had to deal with a propane line and couple of other minor tight spots. In the end, only had to make a few adjustments and no major modifications had to be made.

The ProPride hitch is heavy. I believe that it’s +100 lbs. Watch your TV cargo capacity. I do love the fact that the weight distribution bars stay on the trailer!

Hitching and unhitching just take some time to get accustomed to. It’s just a different. Not harder, just different. When unhitching, try to have the TV as straight as you can with the AS. Have to be able to lower the electric jack without hitting weight distribution bars.

Overall, we could not be happier with our choice of Hitch, TV and of course the Classic.

Chuck
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I have had the Propride 3P hitch for about 4 years. I have been towing a 27' FB international Serenity with an F-250 Diesel King Ranch.

Above all the Propride does eliminate sway. However what you gain in sway control you loose in convenience.

First reversing operations with the propride is a pain. It is difficult to go straight back as the head cantilevers one direction while your trail er kicks out another direction. If you turn to the opposite direction, once again the head cantilevers the opposite direction and kicks the trailer over at an angle. It just isn't possible to reverse straight back without constantly messing with the steering.

Second the Propride stinger is a pain to deal with. It weighs in the neighborhood of 70 lbs and if you leave it connected to the tow vehicle, it sticks out about 1 1/2 feet. This may not seem like much but because it is low and you don't notice it people are constantly banging their shins against it. Both my wife and I have done it several times as well as people walking by when the truck is parked.

Third, it beats the crap out of your trailer as it is a stiff connection between the trailer and truck. After towing with it for about 30,000 miles my trailer has popped interior rivots. I have had my subwoofer come dislodged from the floor. I have had gray water slosh around so hard that it flys out of the kitchen sink drain. It just is hard on the trailer. This is probably complicated by the stiff suspension on the F-250.

Fourth, the jacks that tension the weight distribution bars are always in the way and both of mine have failed due to split rings breaking around the gear pins allowing the inside to come apart. I have repaired mine several times already. They are in the way because the block access to the only good storage area on the 27FB in the front exterior compartment. On the plus side, there is a new strap solution for suspending the weight distribution bars that works great and eliminates the jack towers. If you do get the Propride then I would order the new strap system.

Fifth, If you store your trailer then you are going to have to either remove the hitch each year, or find a storage facility that can handle a ProPride hitch. Not many are equipped to handle that hitch and won't be able to move your trailer if needed.

I think there are probably better solutions out there for less money but I haven't honestly experimented with a lot of other options.

Having said all the negatives, on the plus side the Propride is a well built hitch that does what it is advertised to do. It eliminates sway, and distributes the hitch weight effectively. Also there is probably no better customer service than the service provided by Sean of Propride. They are a good company and it is a good product. The negatives are primarily a result of the overall concept with a Hensley style hitch.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I moved from the Equalizer to the Propride primarily because of a concern for stability in an emergency maneuver and ease of unhitching. I don't tow every weekend so I had to remove the Equalizer head and bars and put them somewhere. For long rallies I wanted to take the hitch off of the trailer. With my F-150 and the Safari I could lift the hitch and bars up into a wooden box I made and carried in the back of the truck. When we got the Ram 2500 the bed was so much higher that lifting the Equalizer parts became a burden. All that is MUCH easier with the Propride since I leave the hitch, bars and stinger on the trailer. Often I can get the combination level enough to just pull the pin in the receiver and drive away. Worst case I relieve the tension, disconnect the catches holding the stinger to the hitch body and pull forward a foot or two. I then pull the receiver pin and transfer the stinger to the hitch using a carrier I made from a battery carrier strap bolted to the top bolt in the stinger. That is right at the balance point and transferring the stinger is easy. That said I never, in four years, experienced an uncomfortable moment with my Equalizers on either the 6300# Safari or the 9100# Classic.

Originally with the Propride I did find, however, that in a quick stop I would get the "Hensley Bump" which is when the trailer pushes the truck to the point that the mechanism swivels to one side or another and hits its travel limit making a bumping sound. In this configuration it wasn't clear to me that the anti-sway design was still working. The actual problem in my opinion is not with the hitch, but with the trailer brakes. It is highly desirable that the TV brakes stop the TV and the TT brakes stop the TT. With my 30 Classic slideout this wasn't happening. You can read my thread on "Disc Brake Conversion Success" to get the details, but since my conversion the TT braking is much improved. I haven't driven it enough to say the "bump" is gone but I suspect it is.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Since I have a ProPride let me add a few things:
1) You can buy an attachment for storing so that someone with a ball can move it. Very easy to put on and take off. That's what I did. I carry it with me in case I need it should the something happen to truck and someone else needs to move trailer.
2) I had the "hensley bump" as well. But simply increased the gain on my trailer break controller by half step and it was eliminated. Not a big deal.
3) If you are towing with an F250 you may not notice as much handling difference. I tow 28' with F150 and noticed significant handling difference. Mostly in heavy traffic on interstates where I don't feel the bow affect as much with passing trucks and vans. Before the ProPride the AS would shift then the truck. Did not like driving in city traffic. Now if there is any pushing they get pushed together. Last time I drove though Milwaukee and Chicago I noticed a huge difference. Much easier driving.
4) Hooking up and unhooking is actually easier with the stinger in my opinion. Just need to learn a few basic tricks and it goes smoothly.
5) As to backing up I really haven't noticed any difference.
6) As to beating the "crap" out of the trailer I haven't noticed anything different than when I had the Blue Ox hitch.

Since I have no experience towing a 33' with F250 I really can't say difference between ProPride and other hitches. Good luck. Big decision.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_Airstream View Post
I know that there are many threads on this in the "hitch" forum area - but I am curious as to what hitch configurations other Classic 33 owners use. I tow with a F250 with a larger receiver. I have looked at the Pro Pride - but am curious as to the experience anyone on the forum has had towing the Classic 33 with one of these hitches.

Thanks in advance!
I am towing with 2017 F350 Super Duty DRW/2018 Classic 33 using (Camco Eaz-Lift Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit, Includes Distribution Hitch, Sway Control and 2-5/16" Hitch Ball - 1,200 lbs Tongue Weight Capacity (48069)) - everything you need from Amazon $240. You can call the Camco Customer Service which was very helpful. Your F250 is probably equipped with a factory sway control as is mine. I have been in 35 mph cross wind without sway/fishtail. Easy hook up. I have towed my 33 about 3000 mi without concern. The others have brought forth all of the major concerns about the Pro Pride.
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I use a very simple Equl-i-zer WD hitch. No muss, no fuss. Works fine. BTW, I tow a 30' Excella with a 1500 Ram.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Pro-Pride or Hensley

Curious why you Pro-Pride people picked it over the Hensley?

It is mostly a knockoff -
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito98103 View Post

One guy's $0.02...

Not a knock off. The next version of the hitch. I don't know the reason the company that bears his name didn't pick up on it, but ProPride (launched by Sean who was a former Hensley employee) got the right to manufacture Hensley's current version. So both are designed by Hensley. No knock offs.

The differences are perhaps subtle. The mechanism is the same. There's a few threads in here - here's an example:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-116364-7.html
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:

Customer service.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Lexington , South Carolina
If you decide to go the pro pride route I have a complete hitch for sale/ Only asking $1200 for it. Was on a trade at our dealership and we don't need it.
Hershey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Regarding backing up. In 24 months of full timing, I’ve never had a problem backing up straight or into a site. Sure, there are been some tough sites with odd angles and slopes but the ProPride did not stop me. Once we backed up a pretty good way when we unexpectedly found out that the street was a dead end.

Hope this helps. When in doubt, call Sean at ProPride. He even post his cell phone number for assistance. I called him on the weekend when I was installing the hitch. I felt like crap but he was a nice as could be.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I'm new to this forum and we just purchased a 30' AS FC Bunk. I tow with a GMC 3500 HD diesel which can tow a lot. I did a lot of research on AS hitches and decided to go with the ProPride 3P hitch. One reason I tell people is that I want to get to our destination with my wife gently waking me up saying we've made it. Not screaming as something terrible goes wrong. So far we've towed about 300 miles not a lot compared to others but lots of highways here in Washington state and I-5 can be a bear with traffic. I'm also new to towing a TT and I have to say it's been a breeze, no sway at all and stops on a dime. I'm glad in the $$$ invested which is pricey. But IMHO worth the money to know my family will be traveling safe.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Preferred Hitch Set Up - Pro Pride for Classic 33

The main difference between the ProPride and the Hensley Manufacturing version that i looked at is that the ProPride does not require drilling holes in the A-frame. It also appears to be built stronger and has bigger bearings. I also like the very easily adjustable stinger. If i get a different tow vehicle all i have to do is get out the wrenches...

When I bought mine, it was much less expensive than the Hensley Manufacturing version. I also liked the marketing approach from Sean..he answered all my ‘engineering type’ questions promptly and in person, and yes, he gives out his cell number, and gets back to you quickly, even on what should be his off time.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #16

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:

Improved design and customer service
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The Propane is an greatly improved design by Jim Hensley. The Hensley Manufacturing outfit was offered the design and did not buy it, Sean Woodruff started ProPride and bought the improved design. Much, much better customer service for one, and the improved design is much easier to live with. For one thing, the stinger is adjustable, the parts are much stronger, and no need to drill holes to install. Add to the lower price, and there we went... Sean also answered all my engineering questions with grace and understanding, which was a big factor on the choice. And I must admit, a hefty discount for this ex-military type did not hurt.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I love the easily adjusted WD bars. Can adjust without unhooking everything. Also I had a concern on the road. Texted Sean and he within a day texted me back with the solution that worked.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I like the ProPride... did not have the Hensley... both are great at what they do... eliminate sway and WD is good.

I tow 1999 34' Excella... thousands of carefree miles.. and my DW can tow with little effort.. just 'point' and the AS follows..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
A comment was made earlier to get the straps and not the towers for the weight distribution bars. I bought the straps because I wanted to open my front compartment all the way (27 FB int).

They don't work! Let me explain. The front head requires adjusting the towers up or down to get the right angle on the head for the stinger to match. You cannot get tension on the head using the straps. You can pull up, but most of the time you need to push down on the bars. I talked with Sean about this and he agreed. He is looking into a design or support that can be used to "hold" the head in one place when hitching up.

I went back to the towers and to eliminate blocking the front storage area, I bought a 2019 30' classic!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote