Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Powered dinette stuck in up position

Well, just after leaving the factory last week, our powered dinette table is stuck in the up position. And yes we traveled thru Louisiana to avoid the storms in Tx, Ok, Ar, etc...

Anyone with some hints on how to get it moving again?

Going to take the top off today to see if I can see anything inside the telescoping leg. I've seen the under side which is accessed thru a 1 ft square panel in the underbelly. There is just a 12 volt wire leading up into the bottom of the leg and cannot see any mechanism there.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
I guess you checked the pop out fuses under the Wardrobe?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Thanks

Yes, Thanks, that was a first trouble shooting check. All are good.

No sound from the motor. Took the top off and no motor visible. Just the chain and top gear. Guess it is in the lower portion.

Next it to crawl under and remove the patch panel to see if slice is still intact.

I did check the back of the switch and all connectors are on. I didn't check the voltage though. Another next step.

The back of the switch has 5 wires into the fridge space but under the trailer in the belly pan, only 2 wires are going into the base of the pedestal. Got to figure that out as well.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Do you have the Fire Fly panel or a separate manual switch? At least it's stuck up and not down.[emoji6]
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
Classy Roscoe

A resource to download is the Firefly "Resource" info from their sales site. It gives you the overview of the system and its many "nodes" of the CAN system.

Besides the pop out breakers you have the power distribution panels. This is where power is passed to various controllers that work the water pump power, fan, and awnings. The dinette has one too. Each one can have a fuse link as well.

Under the dinette seat under the LCD TV is a major, I believe, a G6 or RPC? junction that supplies power to the dinette table. There you will find distribution to several critical systems.

Beware, it's a rats nest of wires including a major buss of 12 Vdc cables. If yours is like ours, this nest is just thrown under there and various CAN buss cables are rubbing against raw cut aluminum panels.

I would look there.

The controller that provides power to move the dinette up and down lives there. If it has lost connection to the power controller you got no juice are you may also have no command path to tell the dinette to move up or down.

The Firefly system is amazing, but the install looks like it was done by first graders. Wait, some first graders are very good 😊 It looks like it was done by JC.

Also, download the owners manual from Airstream. In the back is the power schematic that at least diagrams the various nodes of the Firefly.

Don't forget the Flit!

Best of luck.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Thanks all.

Nope, don't have the Firefly. Just the manual button. It started working 2 days after we set up in our "home spot" here in Texas.

Go figure. Could it be a loose wire? Or a limit switch shut off?

Will the manual the diagnosis?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
Classy Roscoe

If you don't have to deal with Fireflies, you have less complications, IMO. First suspect iz a limit switch in that magic spot or the toggle that selects direction of travel misbehaving.

Take a look at the Airstream.com site for your exact year and type of trailer and download the PDF. I bet you two cookies and a glass of milk the 12 volt diagram of the dinette is there. (Maybe enough info to source who builds the dinette) and that will give you enough data to trouble shoot and find the flaky connection.

Hope this helps.

Our '17 Classic is all Firefly stuff with cryptic symbols in the manual. I have dabbled in process control stuff so the symbols have some meaning to me.

The symbol that looks like a fist size rock tied to a stick is most meaningful.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote