Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Hi Bud,

I had the same question. The service department told me it was one of the several low point drains. I believe it drains the bathroom plumbing.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
RonaldC303, thanks. I got the factory to send me a schematic for the entire plumbing of the 2017 Classic and it appears to be just that a low point drain for the bath area.

Thank You

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #63

2017 30' Classic
Plantation , Florida
Ron, can you elaborate a bit on the cell booster, please?
Mtujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
Alde update

As far as the Alde system as a heater; it's amazing! No noise! Works beautifully.
Hot water will depend on the temperature of the cold water. Airstream installed a mixing valve to combine the output of the Alde with the cold water line to lower the temperature of the hot water to all faucets. The mixing valve is not thermostatically controlled, so that your experience as to Alde's effectiveness of producing hot water will vary as to the cold water temperature. If you live in the Southern States where cold water is NOT cold; you'll think the Alde is the greatest thing. Here in the North, the cold water can be cold even in the hottest days of Summer. I'm camping this weekend where the temps drop into the 30's and 40's; there is only luke warm water, NO hot water. My solution is to fill the fresh water tank and turn on the tank heater pads. This helps just enough to have a barely warm shower; but still not comfortable at all. I'll be at my dealer on Monday to have some mods installed to address my hot water woes.
I love everything else about my Classic.
Ron

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:17 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Rawn77, clever idea about the tank pads. I'd be interested to hear what the dealer does to improve the hot water. Ours was ok the times we used it, but not hot as you noted, especially the second shower.

The observation on water temp from source is spot on as I've talked to folks in the south and one who used theirs at the International and they all had no issues with water bring hot.

Thanks

Bud
Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #66
♫ Streaming... ♫

2017 30' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Ron,

We picked up our 2017 Classic last week and had the exact same hot water issues as you describe. I'm really interested in knowing about any mods that will resolve this problem. The idea that you must click a button or adjust something ahead of time just to wash a couple of dishes or take a hot shower does not fit the Classic. We love everything about the Classic and would love it even more if we had hot water. If they can resolve that one issue, it's a long-term keeper. Keep us posted.

Terry
2017 Airstream Classic 30, ProPride 3P, Centramatic | AM Solar | WBCCI #9721
2019 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7L, SRW, 4X4, Platinum Ultimate Pkg, Ingot Silver | BedRug | ARE Z series
@rivetville
rivetville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
My dealer CanAm RV, will be installing (adding) a conventional Atwood 6 gallon gas/electric water heater.
Mine will be the 2nd '17 Classic they'll be performing this mod to.
Let me be clear, the Alde system will still be functional. The Atwood will feed the Alde hot water, so there will be a total of 8 gallons available. You will have the option of turning off the Atwood in case you don't need to take the secondary source.
In the previous Classic, they installed it under the bathroom sink.
Because I have rear levelling jacks, where the road side jack is installed under that sink, my Atwood heater will be installed under the dinette seat (under the tv). I will lose the exterior shower.

Let the questions begin

Ron

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 10-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #68
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
2017 AS question: Does anyone know if Alcoa or Airstream has addressed the filiform issue that some people have been experiencing with earlier year units? What year was this corrected?
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
My dealer CanAm RV, will be installing (adding) a conventional Atwood 6 gallon gas/electric water heater.
Let me be clear, the Alde system will still be functional. The Atwood will feed the Alde hot water, so there will be a total of 8 gallons available. You will have the option of turning off the Atwood in case you don't need to take the secondary source.
Because I have rear levelling jacks, where the road side jack is installed under that sink, my Atwood heater will be installed under the dinette seat (under the tv). I will lose the exterior shower.

Let the questions begin

Ron
That's a shame such drastic measures need to be made to get hot water. Do the radiators get hot to the touch at all when heating the interior or just warm?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
That's a shame such drastic measures need to be made to get hot water. Do the radiators get hot to the touch at all when heating the interior or just warm?
The radiators are just warm to the touch; again, the Alde heating is amazing.

I do agree that it is quite the shame that the engineers at Airstream haven't tested this system thoroughly in all useable weather conditions.

If I had to do it again; I would. The heating system is that good; I wouldn't want to go back to the noisy roller coaster temperature of the forced air. Perhaps if I lived in the lower 48, I'd have a different opinion.

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 10-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:

Let the questions begin

Ron

Our Classic was the first installation by CanAm. Now we have hot water galore.
This hot water issue Is a major Airstream screwup. Hard to understand how this could happen.
That said, the heating system works very well.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
We are considering making the Atwood heater modification. Going to go south for the winter and see how it goes, but fairly certain I see a mod in our future. Unlike some, we do have hot water at times scalding hot, but then not a great deal. I am going to put a flow re-stricter on the shower and see if that makes any difference, have my doubts. May also add one to the Alde system directly. But, as stated I do see a modification coming down the road.

Bud
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Bud, chances are you don't have the mixing valve installed after your Alde. That's why you're experiencing the scalding temperature.
In the end, the techs at CanAm came up with a different solution. They're going to install the Atwood where the previous gen Classic had their forced air heater; under the kitchen sink. The new hot water heater will provide for the kitchen sink and the shower. The Alde will continue to provide hot water for the bathroom sink and the exterior shower which I get to keep now.
There is an existing hot water pipe running from the bathroom that crosses underneath the hallway that feeds the shower, kitchen. The techs will be installing a shutoff ball valve to close the connection; however if anything happens to the Atwood, I can revert back to stock by opening that valve.
All this because of my rear power jacks. For the rest of you, the Atwood would get installed under the rear bathroom sink as per Naper.

Ron

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #74
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Ron did you remove the shower water control scalding safety? Under the handle there is a red plastic stop so that someone doesn't scald themselves. I removed that even with the 2015 Atwood water heater. Made a big difference. Easy to do. Maybe with the Alde the water out of any tap just isn't hot. On 2016 and older the bathroom tap would be at full temp while the shower, well luke warm at best.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I do have the mixing valve, at least that is what it's labeled as under the dinette seat. I got the the plumbing and Alde schematics sent to me by the factory.

Ron, I'll look for the stop next time I am over by our trailer - winterized and in storage now.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Ron:

CanAm seems to get it. I've sent them an email on estimated costs and how long the process will take. Ours could be installed under the dinette as the one in our FC was.

Probably won't do anything until we get back from Florida in the Spring. I've rotated our mixing valve to as high as it can go, which is when we got very hot water but only for a short while. As you know I had concerns about this based on our conversation and your previous posts, but like you I think the trailer is exceptional and somehow we will make this work.

Thanks

Bud
Old 10-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Bud
I'm surprised you're getting scalding hot water if you have the mixing valve installed. I can only think it's not set properly. The Alde can create a very high temperature; higher than what'll ever be required. The mixing valve is supposed to dilute the hot water with the cold to bring it down to a "normal" hot temp.
You will not be able to install the Atwood under the dinette. Alde has their heating return line there. It would be quite an undertaking to drain the Alde; re-route the heating line and then recharge it. A much simpler solution to install it under the bathroom or kitchen sink. I'll post pics tomorrow of the progress.

If you're making plans to visit CanAm; I can't recommend enough to get the rear levelling jacks installed

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 10-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Ron:

Thanks for the info, again, under bathroom sink would probably be the best for us as we use the under kitchen sink for a surprising amount of "stuff".

Looking forward to see pictures of the progress.

Thanks

Bud
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Ron did you remove the shower water control scalding safety? Under the handle there is a red plastic stop so that someone doesn't scald themselves. I removed that even with the 2015 Atwood water heater. Made a big difference. Easy to do. Maybe with the Alde the water out of any tap just isn't hot. On 2016 and older the bathroom tap would be at full temp while the shower, well luke warm at best.
Gary
I removed the original shower valve for a residential Grohe unit with separate temperature and pressure valves. No red plastic stop anymore.
Even at the sinks, I get barely warm water; again I need to reiterate; it's cold up here now. The mixing valve installed at the factory is allowing too much cold water.
Ron

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 10-25-2016, 12:54 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
The radiators are just warm to the touch; again, the Alde heating is amazing.

I do agree that it is quite the shame that the engineers at Airstream haven't tested this system thoroughly in all useable weather conditions.

If I had to do it again; I would. The heating system is that good; I wouldn't want to go back to the noisy roller coaster temperature of the forced air. Perhaps if I lived in the lower 48, I'd have a different opinion.
I agree. Don't care much for the forced air heater in my 2016. That's why I am installing electric radiant flooring and electric radiant heat strips around the base of all the windows. Will give that nice silent non-drafty/even heating. I'll also be installing electric tank pad heaters.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote