Old 12-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
TAG
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Somerset , Colorado
Sounds like a letter or email to the President of Airstream is in order.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I find it unacceptable that if you pay the amount of money that you pay for an AS, that you don't get a unit that is 100% operational upon delivery. Our first AS, 2007 Safari was 100% on our 1st x-country trip until we hit the Sierra Mtns. when the ignitor for the fridge failed, but we could bypass it manually. When we got home it was an easy fix covered by warranty. The rest of the 52,000 miles with it was fine except for the normal wear and tear. A GREAT trailer! Our new 2014 FC was a different story. It was as if the factory plumbing guy who did the right side was on dope or dog food. Nothing from the galley sink, down to the water heater had not been installed properly = leaks. It was all covered by immediate warranty work, but i never should have left the factory that way. AS must get their factory quality control, quality controlled.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Thanks for the post and sorry for you trouble. When I read about all the issues with the new Airstreams, I just scratch my head. Why a company with a product as iconic as an Airstream would ever let a trailer leave the factory with issues is beyond me.

Find you a big empty parking lot on a Sunday morning and practice. Borrow some traffic cones and simulate parking it. I've been backing trailers for 40 years but I still have to think when I do it. IMO the best tip is to put your hand on the steering wheel at the 6 o'clock position and then move your hand in the direction you want the back end of the trailer to go. Simple as that. Another tip especially when backing into a 90 degree site is to do the "swoop". Here is a link on parking with lots of good tips, plus they have an Airstream.

Good luck and enjoy your new trailer.

B.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
TAG
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Somerset , Colorado
....on second thought, a phone call followed up by an email. Don't let this stuff slide.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Always!!

Whenever backing your baby, have a outside observer at the rear. Also, radio OFF and WINDOWS open. Best regards!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyjudy View Post
We are picking our new 2016 Classic up from Foley 1/4 and after staying a couple of nights at Foley, heading to our first rally(Canopener at Topsail). We are excited about our first Airstream, but going into it with our eyes wide open.
Ron at Foley tells me they have slowed the production line (just after our unit came off!) and that our issues (cabinets) were the subject a conference call to Ohio, so your unit might not have the issues ours has.

You must be so excited with all the great changes ahead! I retired 2 months ago (and it's wonderful!) and Greg goes the first of February.

We have reservations for Canopener but now are thinking we won't go. The thought of making that same long drive so soon after having just done it isn't appealing, and we have so much to get done in January before we can take off. But if we go, we'll look you up!
Old 12-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Ron at Foley tells me they have slowed the production line (just after our unit came off!) and that our issues (cabinets) were the subject a conference call to Ohio, so your unit might not have the issues ours has.

You must be so excited with all the great changes ahead! I retired 2 months ago (and it's wonderful!) and Greg goes the first of February.

We have reservations for Canopener but now are thinking we won't go. The thought of making that same long drive so soon after having just done it isn't appealing, and we have so much to get done in January before we can take off. But if we go, we'll look you up!

You should go to Canopener - it is a great time. We will be there

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
This to shall pass

Joanne/Greg: Congrats on your new Classic and most importantly your new lifestyle. I take delivery of my AS Classic in April and retire at the end of May and I can hardly contain myself. As far as the QC issues, they tend to work themselves out and the best approach is to take it all in stride and enjoy the ride. The towing and backing will get easier. Good prior advice to keep one hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel and turn your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. One other thing regarding LP. some states prohibit LP from being on during towing. Take care, good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
My Classic comes out of production Monday the 14th. While reading the OP's post I found myself getting angry with Airstream's lack of quality control and really feeling bad for the new owners. The waiting, the excitement, the many dollars spent, all met with disappointment in the quality they received.

I sent a message to the area rep of Airstream and let him know that I would not accept anything but a quality-built Classic, and that he should ensure that a thorough quality control inspection is performed before it is shipped. I'm not going to hold my breath on that happening, but I assured him that I will not take delivery of the Classic if I find any problems with it. I had requested to be notified when it was going into production so I could go to the factory and watch it being built. That didn't happen. I, too, am very disappointed to hear that quality control at Airstream leaves much to be desired. New owners should never have to make a pilgrimage to Jackson Center to address problems that existed when their unit left the factory!
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinari47 View Post
Joanne/Greg: Congrats on your new Classic and most importantly your new lifestyle. I take delivery of my AS Classic in April and retire at the end of May and I can hardly contain myself. As far as the QC issues, they tend to work themselves out and the best approach is to take it all in stride and enjoy the ride. The towing and backing will get easier. Good prior advice to keep one hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel and turn your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. One other thing regarding LP. some states prohibit LP from being on during towing. Take care, good luck and enjoy.
Not during towing, at Gas Stations on propane.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I travel 9000 miles this summer and yes you will have something go wrong, it's just the way it is regardless of the mount of money you spend.

My last Sail boat was a 50ft and on our first sail from SD to Hawaii we were out 200 miles and loss steering, took better part of a day to fix in high Seas.

Things will and do happen.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 12-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
First thing is to stay off the interstate.

Then retired take your time, you will find a new world out there.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 12-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
You weren't in a Beneteau were you? Ours was a Beneteau 411. Lost steering when the cable snapped during a big storm. We were in the Gulf off Galveston. Didn't think it was a big problem until we realized the emergency tiller was not on the boat where the dealer was supposed to have put it. It was an awful experience that involved the Coast Guard. Never want to go there again. The memory made me ask my DH to go make margaritas!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
Wow! Reading all of this thread makes me feel good about buying a 1971 Sovereign and doing all of the work myself. Its a shame that Airstream isn't more concerned about QC. I hope you get all of your issues resolved.