Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #161
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
3 week report.

Three weeks ago we took delivery of our Classic 30. We have stayed every night since in our new Classic. We have gone from 90 degree temps the first week in Naples Fl to temps this week in Nashville that have highs in the recent days in the 40’s and lows in the 20’s and 30’s.

We have used all the systems extensively.

Our weekly highlight is the Alde 3020. We absolutely love the Alde 3020 heating and hot water system. The system is so quiet you really don’t know if the heating system is working or not until you put your hand over one of the perimeter heat outlets. This is such an improvement over the noise from the gas furnace and heat pump system we used alternatively in our 2014 International FB 27.

We are enjoying the window shade system, use it every day and it gives you the variety of day light or not ,that you want for the desired level of privacy.

C zone continues to perform flawlessly. The Cellular connection has worked religiously, Airstream smart app continues to work as designed and has always been available when the app is opened. The Polk audio system works nice with the exception of the blue tooth connection being a pain to connect to at times.

We have avoided the satelight connection issue that. Turk and froglips have had to go thru. When we watch TV, we use the local digital air channels when available or cable connection from the camp ground. In addition, we have an Amazon Fire TV Stick that wirelessly hooks to the unlimited data cellular plan that we will keep an annual subscription to. This obviously only works when you have a cellular connection, but as I mentioned above, it has performed for us consistently these past three weeks. We have Netflix, direct tv now and CBS subscriptions that we use at home and these apps travel with us on the fire stick.

We really didn’t think much about the heated towel rack when we noticed it as a feature, but we do enjoy that more than we thought we would.

The convection microwave oven has worked nicely and we have used both modes extensively. When we ordered out Classic we debated the conventional oven vs an extra draw. We went with the oven and have used it once. When it is not used as an oven we found that it holds a case of bottled water perfectly. So that is what is it used for primarily and works nice for us as a back up oven. The overall storage has been more than adequate for our style of camping

We continue to really enjoy the twin bed version, it makes the trailer feel so much bigger and moving around the bedroom and bath area is much more flexible

We could not be more pleased with our new purchase!

We will be decommissioning the unit this weekend and leaving in storage in Southwest Florida? We are planning to return in January for a few weeks to use our unit again.

When we took delivery, our dealer in Southwest Florida advised us to schedule a service date for later on. They do this with every brand unit they sell.

So we set a date to have the unit serviced in January and any “fix it” items addressed than. We are compiling a small list for the dealer to address than.

So far the only issue of any significance is the gray water venting that I had mentioned earlier. This may be something very simple, but I will have the dealer chase it out in January. We currently just keep our sink and shower drains closed when not using.

Happy streaming!
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
When we took delivery, our dealer in Southwest Florida advised us to schedule a service date for later on. They do this with every brand unit they sell.

So we set a date to have the unit serviced in January and any “fix it” items addressed than. We are compiling a small list for the dealer to address than.
I suspect your dealer is the same as mine. The "90 daycheckup" was not what I expected. I drove there with a short list of things I needed looked at. Like one of the AC vents falling off. and a license plate screw stripped. I was told that the inspection was NOT to address my needs, and I'm not really sure what it was for. I did leave it there for another day and they addressed my issues.
I think they have given me great service, and I'd buy there again.
BTW, I took one of the plastic gizmos that keep my euro hinges from disconnecting when bumped, and they had never seen one.
I would have thought an Airstream "expert" would not only know, but recommend and sell them!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #163
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Try downloading the Polk Ultra Marine app for your phone to improve bluetooth ops.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I suspect your dealer is the same as mine. The "90 daycheckup" was not what I expected. I drove there with a short list of things I needed looked at. Like one of the AC vents falling off. and a license plate screw stripped. I was told that the inspection was NOT to address my needs, and I'm not really sure what it was for. I did leave it there for another day and they addressed my issues.
I think they have given me great service, and I'd buy there again.
BTW, I took one of the plastic gizmos that keep my euro hinges from disconnecting when bumped, and they had never seen one.
I would have thought an Airstream "expert" would not only know, but recommend and sell them!
Where can I get those gizmos?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
First thanks to everyone that has helped me locate the lost and mysterious satellite ready connection in my 2019 Classic 30RB. Attached is a picture of the incredible spaghetti mess under my dinette seat. A three-year-old could do better than this. The satellite cable is totally entangled in the wire mess. It would never be possible to extract it enough to feed it up to the DVD player area. This is the workmanship on a $150,000 trailer? Really?
Wow-I included your picture with a note to Mr. Humphreys...lets see if we get a reply...told him we are considering an upgrade to the Classic 30' but this type workmanship is unacceptable...and a shame...easy fix if shop management is on the ball...a wiring harness should be a priority with easy access to satellite addition for the electronics. my 3 cents...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Please explain (plastic gizmos) Thanks
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #167
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
[...]
I'd also like more information on these plastic gizmos. I must not be an Airstream expert but I'm trying
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #168
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Latch Gizmos

From Amazon:
Lot of 10 Grabber Catch Latch 5lb Factory Replacement Southco C3-805 for RV Motorhome Marine Boat Cabinets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are 10 lb pull versions also. I have used these extensively and the 10 lb are overkill. I have bought ten of these to install on the overhead cabinets because they do not come with latches which we found an odd decision.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #169
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Maineiac,
We are leaving our Classic in central Florida for the winter. We will be back and forth between Colorado and Ocala this winter. Would enjoy connecting for a weekend of glamping if it works out.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #170
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
The convection microwave oven has worked nicely and we have used both modes extensively. When we ordered out Classic we debated the conventional oven vs an extra draw. We went with the oven and have used it once. When it is not used as an oven we found that it holds a case of bottled water perfectly. So that is what is it used for primarily and works nice for us as a back up oven. The overall storage has been more than adequate for our style of camping

......!
Hi

We have gone round and round on just how much weight to put in both the microwave and the oven when in transit. This also gets into an ongoing debate about just how bumpy this road or that field is going to be in terms of crossing it with the AS in tow.

So far nothing has self destructed, but we also have not been putting a whole lot in the oven and even less in the microwave. Mostly they get empty bowls and pots.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We have gone round and round on just how much weight to put in both the microwave and the oven when in transit. This also gets into an ongoing debate about just how bumpy this road or that field is going to be in terms of crossing it with the AS in tow.

So far nothing has self destructed, but we also have not been putting a whole lot in the oven and even less in the microwave. Mostly they get empty bowls and pots.

Bob
You have a good concern on loading the oven, We may be asking for trouble by loading the oven with our bottled water, will keep an eye out for issues.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Maineiac,
We are leaving our Classic in central Florida for the winter. We will be back and forth between Colorado and Ocala this winter. Would enjoy connecting for a weekend of glamping if it works out.
Frog lips, that would be awesome, let’s compare notes and see if our schedules coincide in Florida this winter
Old 11-16-2018, 03:24 AM   #173
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Froglips, I have the ‘17 Classic which has the same overhead cabinets as your ‘19. So far I’ve put about 6,000 - 7,000 miles on her and I’ve never had anything fall out of the overhead cabinets. Never. I don’t put anything heavy in the overheads so maybe that’s the reason. You can put the latches on your overhead cabinets but if it makes you feel better but IMO it’s not necessary.

Maniac - great to hear you’re enjoying your brand new Classic. Awesome, absolutely awesome. The Alde is irreplaceable. Great to hear the dealers are up to speed on setup. Don’t forget to check the Alde tank daily during the break in period and bleed the system often. How often the bleed kinda depends on how much you’re traveling, if you’re moving daily then I suggest maybe every other day. Air pockets are the Scrooge of the Alde and they can hide very well so getting those buggers out is important. I take a peek at the tank once a month just out of habit but haven’t needed to add any glycol in a year. Well, except for the time when the elbow joint got pierced because of a the design flaw in the twin. (AS made the necessary adjustments to back partition so you’re good).

I hope you continue to enjoy your ‘19 as much or more than I have enjoyed my ‘17.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #174
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
When we get our Classic next month I assume the dealer will go over the bleeding process with us. Any questions I should ask them about this process that has been particularly difficult for people to do?
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
From Amazon:
Lot of 10 Grabber Catch Latch 5lb Factory Replacement Southco C3-805 for RV Motorhome Marine Boat Cabinets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are 10 lb pull versions also. I have used these extensively and the 10 lb are overkill. I have bought ten of these to install on the overhead cabinets because they do not come with latches which we found an odd decision.
Thanks for the information, but that site shows the "latches"; not the "gizmos" for keeping them from coming apart that Molley's dad is talking about...we have those type hinges in several door openings and they do come off pretty regularly if your not careful..under our twin beds for example, when you open and pull out the shoe trays, they easily catch and come apart, or in the bathroom, when pulling my shaving kit out from under the sink; same thing...the plastic "gizmos" may keep this from happening..any help is appreciated on where to get these in his picture.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #176
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
thanks for the information, but that site shows the "latches"; not the "gizmos" for keeping them from coming apart that molley's dad is talking about...we have those type hinges in several door openings and they do come off pretty regularly if your not careful..under our twin beds for example, when you open and pull out the shoe trays, they easily catch and come apart, or in the bathroom, when pulling my shaving kit out from under the sink; same thing...the plastic "gizmos" may keep this from happening..any help is appreciated on where to get these in his picture.
this^^
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #177
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
[QUOTE][Maniac - great to hear you’re enjoying your brand new Classic. Awesome, absolutely awesome. The Alde is irreplaceable. Great to hear the dealers are up to speed on setup. Don’t forget to check the Alde tank daily during the break in period and bleed the system often. How often the bleed kinda depends on how much you’re traveling, if you’re moving daily then I suggest maybe every other day. Air pockets are the Scrooge of the Alde and they can hide very well so getting those buggers out is important. I take a peek at the tank once a month just out of habit but haven’t needed to add any glycol in a year. Well, except for the time when the elbow joint got pierced because of a the design flaw in the twin. (AS made the necessary adjustments to back partition so you’re good). /QUOTE]

Kendrick’s, thank you for that feedback, as I mentioned earlier about Uncle Bobs caution with hauling bottled water in the oven,

“I may be asking for trouble” with the Alde, but we have used this steady for 3 weeks, I have checked the fluid twice and the level does not move , last night the system was stone cold after a day on the road at 38 degrees, checked the fluid and it was at the max level on the tank cold, fired it up at the campground and we were warm as toast in no time. we have used the heat steady for 12 days and moved 2000 miles. System is working fine??? Have not heard any gurgling and good solid heat.

When we took delivery the bleed was not discussed but I certainly have been following the posts that many of you have put up and Turks comments on the bleed process with his also.

I am guilty of not looking for problems unless they present themselves. Should I wait for a symptom of no heat or just bleed for the sake of bleeding?

Back in sunny Florida tonight, so no need for heat here, just hot water, decommissioning tomorrow.

Thank you all for your input over the past several months

Happy Streaming
Old 11-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #178
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Maneiac, bleed. It’s easy to do, only takes a few minutes and could save you some trouble down the road. I know the dealers are doing a great job at sit up but I would rather be extra cautious especially brand new. Call me cynical or maybe just experienced but I never assume anyone did what they said unless I see it done. After you’ve done it, oh three or four times, then you should be fine but if you plan to store her then just a quick check a day or two ahead of time should do the trick. I’m in FL as well and actually needed to use heat the last two nights and after 8 months of inactivity she fired right up.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:25 AM   #179
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Jlandeth, there’s a whole thread call the “Much Ado Alde” that I suggest you read through prior to delivery. It goes over in great detail everything you need to know. Don’t want to high jacket this thread but the Alde is actually pretty simple and if it’s set up properly there won’t be much for you to do expect check the tank and a few bleeds and you’re done.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #180
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing to be careful of with "prep" on the forum as you anticipate your new trailer - you can get really wound up about things. I was way more scared of all the "things that are certain to happen" before we got the trailer than I am now. Pretty much nothing on my list of "sure to happen" things has happened in the last two seasons of using the trailer.

Indeed stuff *has* happened. We do have stories to tell. I can also tell you stories about tents and about the bugs on that hike in the woods (and the 20 days of antibiotics afterwords ...). The point is that none of it was all that scary. We got it all taken care of and moved on.

Relax !!! it's going to be fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote