Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #141
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post

... I pulled a rookie blunder that Sunday morning while connecting the trailer, I unplugged the breakaway switch while the 7 Way plug was connected to the truck.

Was the break-away plug accidentally pulled out or did you pull it out for some particularly reason?

Old 11-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Was the break-away plug accidentally pulled out or did you pull it out for some particularly reason?

Adventure, I did this intentionally,

I did not have a hook on the cable end yet, so was unplugging it to run it thru itself , thru my truck bumper hook and back to the trailer plug. Totally unaware that I should not have the 7 plug hooked into the truck at the same time.

In the past I always had a hook on the cable and connected it without disengaging the breakaway switch, so had not experienced that fuse blowing combo

Live and learn lol

Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #143
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Your grey tank odor problem suggests the vent stack is obstructed. If the odor only occurs after the tank is partially filled it would suggest the vent stack pipe extends into the tank to far. Both warranty problems.
Thank you CB for that feed back. When I bought the unit we scheduled a fix it date with the dealer for January. So we will have a few of these loose ends addressed than.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #144
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
This two year old rookie needs a bit more explanation, please. Did this yesterday morning myself, no blown fuses, I believe, brakes still work in manual or with pedal. RAM 3500 if that matters.
From what I read online, “some” intergrated brake controllers in “some” trucks, ....mine is a GMC , have a sensitivity to the power surge created by the breakaway system when activated, when both the trailer 7 way is plugged into said vehicle. And you pull the breakaway. I suspect GM vehicles may have that sensitivity?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:16 AM   #145
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Classic 30' first trip, first impressions

My wife and I have taken a weekend shakedown trip in our new 2019 Classic 30. I will echo several new owners recent comments.
The trailer pulled well down I75. Our 2013 F-150 Eco-Boost pulled at 75 mph easily up and down Florida's rolling hills. The Max Tow Package carried the tongue weight easily with no squat.
We are both surprised with how roomy the 30' feels. It feels much bigger than its length because of the layout. The power recliners, which initially looked like a waste of space, really add to the feeling of openness.
We both think the floor covering is a weird choice by Airstream. A high-quality LVT would have been much easier to clean. The "bamboo mat" texture makes cleaning up spills a lot more trouble than it needs to be.
The TV system gets a bit of my ire directed at it. We have a DISH Traveler for satellite reception. In the old Eddie Bauer, the connection was easy. I had built a custom aluminum shelf to hold the DISH receiver. Connect a few cables and the big game was ready to watch. In the new trailer, the connection for the DISH receiver is someplace behind the wall that mounts the dining room TV. I called technical support to ask where the internal connection for the receiver was. They told me I had to take off the wooden box where the DVD player is housed and the cables for the receiver would be there. They weren't. I called back and was told the cables often (often!) fall back into the wall behind the TV. I would need to remove several cover plates in the space behind the TV to try to fish the cables out. This appears to be common in the Classic previous to my model. If someone with a 30' Classic has found or fished these cables out please let me know the process.
The CZone system will be nice at some point. Now, during the steep learning curve phase, it is less enjoyable. Our dealer really didn't have any training or experience with the 2019 Classic 30's systems. The tech that walked us through when we bought it said, "I haven't figured this out yet" more often than he said, "This works like this." In fairness, the dealer got the trailer in a week before we stumbled in and bought it AND Airstream didn't ship the manual for the trailer with it nor the manuals for several of the sub-systems.
I will provide another update tomorrow as we explore a few more systems.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I found the sat cable. I had the same problem. No cable under the box holding the Blu-ray.

Pull your TV all the way out. The right wall in the inset frame that holds the TV has to be removed. Under that panel, you will find the cable chase containing all the cables that come up from under your dinette chair. AS has routed the SAT cable inside a bundle of wires (harness) that is under your dinette chair, in the wrong direction and then doubles it back to go up the chase. It is now too short to make it to the Blu-ray area. You will find it behind this TV panel and it will be marked SAT.

The panel comes off with 4-5 screws and is just a cover for the chase. Remove all the screws you see and pull the cover off. You need to purchase a short extension cable for it (or make your own). Also, you will need a cable barrel connector (female to female) to connect the cable to the original one in the wall. I found all the parts at home Depot.

Feed the cable up the wall. Remove the Blu-ray box by removing the four screws holding the box down (the cabinet not just the blueray) in the upper cabinet being careful not to pull on any of the rat's nest's wires up there. The box has one cable that if you follow it, goes to a simple USB connector. Unconnect it so you can take the box out of the cabinet. Jiggle the new wire from the TV chase and push it up to the opening in the wall in the cabinet. It's tight but doable. While your up there, remove the HDMI cable from the Blu-ray and attach to your Dish box (or buy another larger duel HDMI splitter). Connect the SAT cable also.

I used velcro on the top of the Blu-ray box and on the bottom of the Dish receiver to hold the receiver to the top of the box. Install the Bluray box again making sure the wires you want, the dish power cord (plug it in up there) the new SAT cable and the HDMI are all plugged in and routed over the notch in the bluray boxes rear left top.

Test before you screw everything back down. Your TV controller has a source button for you to find your dish reciever.

Hope this helps.

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Wow! Sounds like AS may need to include a "Classic Technician" with the new 30's?
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #148
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Frog lips, great to hear you are out in your Classic, I hope you feel the benefits outway the adjustments you need to do. Keep us posted!
Old 11-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho
The link below takes you to a post I made earlier on the incomplete Sat Capabilities of the 30' Classic. It allows me to connect either my DirecTV receiver or the BluRay player with the flip of a switch. It also eliminates the need for an extra 110V socket for the satellite rcvr.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ml#post2135830

FWIW
Charlie
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I did the same thing but replaced my blue ray player with a PS4 and added an Apple TV for streaming. I think airstream doesn’t set up satellite because it’s quickly moving to a thing of the past. No offense, it’s kind of like the fact that there is no longer a CD player available in the airstream or my new tow vehicle... just a thing of the past... glad they prewire it still! Thankful that it’s not finished as it would be one more thing for me to hide or modify over time.

Great hack by the way!
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #151
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
123turk and cbburke,
Thanks, folks. Your hints and suggestions are invaluable. cbburke, I have ordered the splitters you listed. That is a great fix.

123turk, is it possible to remove the side panel on the rear dinette seat? The side panel on the forward dinette seat just popped off. I have pulled on the rear seat panel hard enough that much harder will likely break something. If a mess of wires is under that seat, it would seem like there would be access but maybe AC in its infinite wisdom didn't seem it that way.

Day two in the Airstream has been a joy. I should make it clear we love this trailer. Warts are included in every new purchase, Airstream trailers are not exempt. If I mention something we think is a design flaw, it is because, much like cbburke's excellent guide, someone else has already observed and solved the problem. I am a fan of reinventing the wheel and will shamelessly adopt other's solutions to my problems.

Today we are enjoying a quiet morning before we head home. We are looking forward to several longer trips. Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #152
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I did the same thing but replaced my blue ray player with a PS4 and added an Apple TV for streaming. I think airstream doesn’t set up satellite because it’s quickly moving to a thing of the past. No offense, it’s kind of like the fact that there is no longer a CD player available in the airstream or my new tow vehicle... just a thing of the past... glad they prewire it still! Thankful that it’s not finished as it would be one more thing for me to hide or modify over time.

Great hack by the way!
BSWG,
Good thoughts, although, I think you are giving AS more credit than they are due. If AS was really future proofing the Classic, they would have several HDMI 2.0+ plugs mounted on the electronic gear cabinet so you could just plug into them with your Apple TV or PS4. In fact, there is an unused HDMI plug on the TV. A $6 cable run up to the electronics/DVD cabinet would have made this whole discussion about what owners have plugged in instead of where is the darn connection.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Don’t think they are future proofing yet, just merely making small changes to ensure future updates aren’t massively time consuming or re-engineering necessary. I agree with you that there is a ton of possible technological advances still available for AS — they just need a brilliant young engineer on their design team to work it out. Unfortunately, I believe a lot of this stuff is controlled by HOA style situations where the person is charge is resisting technological change or waiting for the “best” option as they know it’s constantly evolving.
I think we can use the 2017 - 2019 model changes as examples of how quickly technology has evolved. Massive differences between 2017 and 2019, hell, in 2016 there wasn’t even an Alde system, right? HDMI really just introduced in these trailers over the last couple models...
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
123turk and cbburke,
Thanks, folks. Your hints and suggestions are invaluable. cbburke, I have ordered the splitters you listed. That is a great fix.

123turk, is it possible to remove the side panel on the rear dinette seat? The side panel on the forward dinette seat just popped off. I have pulled on the rear seat panel hard enough that much harder will likely break something. If a mess of wires is under that seat, it would seem like there would be access but maybe AC in its infinite wisdom didn't seem it that way.
The side panel of the dinette closes to the TV is a drawer! Reach underneath and squeeze to open the drawer. The front panel (long side) pops off by just pulling. It uses the black connectors you have to baby to get the front back on. I bought 3 or 4 of those connectors from AS as they break easily.

Underneath the panel, you will find the mother of all rat's nests! You probably will see the sat cable, but not it's end. You can determine which cable by following it to the connector on the outside (you can see from under the seat).

Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #155
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The magic "click" connectors are a pretty standard item in RV stores and on Amazon. They come in several "strengths". That makes replacing them a bit confusing. I simply bought a few of each and if the spring part is what broke .... try them and see.

======

The latch on the wonderful drawer under the dinette seat is ... errr .... sub optimum. When we did our walk through, we asked the guy how to open it. He could not get it open. He asked a tech and still no luck. Finally the wife decided this had to be a "man problem" and reached down and opened it on the first try. Indeed she still is the "designated opener of the drawer". I struggle with it ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The magic "click" connectors are a pretty standard item in RV stores and on Amazon. They come in several "strengths". That makes replacing them a bit confusing. I simply bought a few of each and if the spring part is what broke .... try them and see.

======

The latch on the wonderful drawer under the dinette seat is ... errr .... sub optimum. When we did our walk through, we asked the guy how to open it. He could not get it open. He asked a tech and still no luck. Finally the wife decided this had to be a "man problem" and reached down and opened it on the first try. Indeed she still is the "designated opener of the drawer". I struggle with it ...

Bob
UB- wish I could get my wife to open my drawers...but I digress....
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #157
meandher

2019 30' Classic
Miami , Florida
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #158
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Airstream spaghetti

First thanks to everyone that has helped me locate the lost and mysterious satellite ready connection in my 2019 Classic 30RB. Attached is a picture of the incredible spaghetti mess under my dinette seat. A three-year-old could do better than this. The satellite cable is totally entangled in the wire mess. It would never be possible to extract it enough to feed it up to the DVD player area. This is the workmanship on a $150,000 trailer? Really?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream spagetti wiring.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	327751  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #159
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Froglips - Wow... Just wow. I don't see that image shown in any of the sales marketing as a part of the Airstream owner experience... Shocker.
PhxRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Froglips, did you take the panel off the side of the TV cabinet like I suggested? I bet you find the end sitting there.

The rat's nest looks the same under my seat. By doing it this way, it would almost be impossible to straighten this out properly without cutting and splicing wires. A punch down board would be a much better design. Can you imagine what an AS tech will say when the service manager says to him, "Go solve Mr. Terleski's wiring problem. His subwoofer is not working ".

"Sorry, it's time for my 15-minute break, get someone else".