Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Ordering a 2019 Classic 30 thoughts/advice

We have recently sold our 2014 International FB 27 Queen mainly because we really enjoyed several features of the 2018 Classic 30 that we looked at and want to order this Classic in a Twin bed version. We have had great luck with our 2014 and have enjoyed traveling in it.

We have located a couple of 18’s with twins and our interior decor, but one of them had the Alde 3010 system in it. While I have read that the issues are solvable, I think we want the 3020.

The 2019 Classic seems to come with everything, the only things we have seen changed from the 18 are the solar panels (an additional 80 watt panel this year) and agm batteries are std, a 3 year std warranty, built in WiFi, and an app to control the awning, heating system and air from your phone.

Is there anything else that we should be thinking about? Anything that would be done at the factory on special request? Tire size?
Oven vs extra Drawer option?

Thank you for your thoughts
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I don't see a 2019 spec sheet up on the web site yet so I may be missing something. The swap of the microwave for drawers is something I would go for. Past that the other stuff is very individual taste. Interior colors ... yikes .... We went with the twin and that works well for us. If they are up to 240W of solar, that's a good thing.

Enjoy !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:33 AM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Just make sure you thoroughly understand that there will likely be bugs to work out between all those gizmos. Love my ‘17 but there is a learning curve. Just because Airstream says it should work does not mean it will work in real life. You’re going to be the next Beta test group. If you are up for that sorta thing then go for it, if you enjoy trying to figure out why something doesn’t work, then sure but if you are easily frustrated, impatient, not technical, or are expecting perfection then I foresee a post from you in the future c/o QC issues, lack of field testing, etc. Just keeping it real.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Just make sure you thoroughly understand that there will likely be bugs to work out between all those gizmos. Love my ‘17 but there is a learning curve. Just because Airstream says it should work does not mean it will work in real life. You’re going to be the next Beta test group. If you are up for that sorta thing then go for it, if you enjoy trying to figure out why something doesn’t work, then sure but if you are easily frustrated, impatient, not technical, or are expecting perfection then I foresee a post from you in the future c/o QC issues, lack of field testing, etc. Just keeping it real.

Amen! Lol
Bougeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
meandher

2021 27' Globetrotter
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I don't see a 2019 spec sheet up on the web site yet so I may be missing something. The swap of the microwave for drawers is something I would go for. Past that the other stuff is very individual taste. Interior colors ... yikes .... We went with the twin and that works well for us. If they are up to 240W of solar, that's a good thing.

Enjoy !!!

Bob
I think it is the oven not the microwave you can exchange for a drawer. if you will be boondocking the oven may be needed
docv
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougeois View Post
Amen! Lol
Love our 2018 Classic 30 Twin! The floor plan and outside storage lockers are a huge advantage over the queen. We've had some issues but Pete's RV in VT and the service team here in Jackson Center have been awesome at fixing things.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
We got spoiled with our 2014 and only very minor issues.

I appreciate the heads up ......that the buyer truly is the final engineering verifier and seems to always end up in charge of quality control for these units😁.

I hope we get a good one and are able to work thru the nuances and snafus (without too much frustration) that seem to occur readily from engineering and on the assembly line!

We purchased the last one off the lot, so I did want to check with everyone here, to make sure there are no "special requests" available from the factory at time of order that I should consider?

The two or three options listed, like oven or drawer and interior color ect. seem to be the only thing for consideration?

This unit does come with the 16" Michelin tires

Thank you all for the feed back.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Electronic awning is the weakest point on this unit.. it will fail so plan on it.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
just make sure you thoroughly understand that there will likely be bugs to work out between all those gizmos. Love my ‘17 but there is a learning curve. Just because airstream says it should work does not mean it will work in real life. You’re going to be the next beta test group. If you are up for that sorta thing then go for it, if you enjoy trying to figure out why something doesn’t work, then sure but if you are easily frustrated, impatient, not technical, or are expecting perfection then i foresee a post from you in the future c/o qc issues, lack of field testing, etc. Just keeping it real.

ditto!
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
We had the stainless utility compartment upgrades, a 50A SurgeGuard, SmartPlug and SoftStarts for the AC added.

We also felt like we were the Beta test group for the FireFly/Alde system. Check our thread on the Alde for more info.
Bothell, WA
WBCCI 03495
JimskyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimskyD View Post
We had the stainless utility compartment upgrades, a 50A SurgeGuard, SmartPlug and SoftStarts for the AC added.

We also felt like we were the Beta test group for the FireFly/Alde system. Check our thread on the Alde for more info.
Jimskyd, was the stainless steel utility compar
tment an option from the factory?

I did keep my 50amp surge protector

Not familiar with the smart plug, will do some research on that.
Thank you.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
We have recently sold our 2014 International FB 27 Queen mainly because we really enjoyed several features of the 2018 Classic 30 that we looked at and want to order this Classic in a Twin bed version. We have had great luck with our 2014 and have enjoyed traveling in it.

We have located a couple of 18’s with twins and our interior decor, but one of them had the Alde 3010 system in it. While I have read that the issues are solvable, I think we want the 3020.

The 2019 Classic seems to come with everything, the only things we have seen changed from the 18 are the solar panels (an additional 80 watt panel this year) and agm batteries are std, a 3 year std warranty, built in WiFi, and an app to control the awning, heating system and air from your phone.

Is there anything else that we should be thinking about? Anything that would be done at the factory on special request? Tire size?
Oven vs extra Drawer option?

Thank you for your thoughts
We have had absolutely no problem with the Alde 3010 system in our 2017 30' Classic. The only issue we had was that the system wasn't properly filled with glycol and was noise . I had trouble locating the canister then got help from the forum and filled it and no problems since.
We love it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I think that some of what people get on their trailers are dealer add-on's. That's not to say they aren't needed as well. We had the dealer put the WiFi and cellular stuff on our trailer. It was not a stock item "way back then". Our dealer would not put in a wired surge protector. If they had, we would have done that at the dealer as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docv View Post
I think it is the oven not the microwave you can exchange for a drawer. if you will be boondocking the oven may be needed
docv
You're right. It's the LPG oven that can be replaced by drawers. My wife considered the utility of the extra storage but ultimately we decided the gas oven would be too useful off the grid.

Responding to the OP, the one addition that we made after delivery of our '18 30' Classic was an upgrade to lithium batteries. We found that electrical demands with our 25' FC were depleting the twin 6 volt AGM battery upgrade on that TT quicker than we had anticipated and we often found ourselves having to micro-manage our usage when boondocking. The Classic has a lot more conveniences that demand power; awning, stabilizer jacks, recliners, adjustable beds, etc. and we wanted to be able to fully enjoy those features. The lithium batteries fit in the existing battery compartment and have more than doubled the useful storage capacity. Not cheap, but a small percentage of the total price of the trailer.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We LOVE our Sleep Number extended twin beds. I put a piece of plywood over the existing bed frame that is a couple of inches wider and several inches longer to support them. I intended to go back and remove the original cover and put the hinges on mine but haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't know about the layout of your trailer, but there was over 6" of unusable space at the foot of our twins. The mattress is deformed a little by the nightstand, so I plan to modify it so the bed will clear. I'll also buy some gas cylinder lift struts to help with raising the mattress to get access to the storage on top of the pull-out tubs. Your new trailer may already have these. They do put them on the queen bed platforms.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Just my two cents here.
For perspective I have a 2016 Classic 30 with the queen bed. I have a conventual heater and a Truma endless water heater.
On my wish list would be 400 watts of solar and the Lithium batteries factory installed if possible. The Truma water heater just plain rocks! Being able to take a shower without worrying about running out of hot water is so nice. Granted you need to practice some water discipline when boondocking.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Oh, one optional item that I could consider would be a traveler satellite dish mounted on the roof if you enjoy keeping up with your television programs at night or when it is raining.
This a personal choice. Many folks don’t want any technology along when camping and I totally get that. I just thought it was worth mentioning.
Oh, a set of Rock Tamer mud flaps to protect your investment from road damage is a great idea .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1316.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	312562[ATTACH]
Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Don’t forget to build some sort of structure to protect your investment Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1121.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	312568
Old 05-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
Oh, one optional item that I could consider would be a traveler satellite dish mounted on the roof if you enjoy keeping up with your television programs at night or when it is raining.
This a personal choice. Many folks don’t want any technology along when camping and I totally get that. I just thought it was worth mentioning.
Oh, a set of Rock Tamer mud flaps to protect your investment from road damage is a great idea .Attachment 312562[ATTACH]
Many great comments and ideas on these posts!

It’s ironic that you mention the Rock tamers, the gentlemen that purchased our 2014 is having a set shipped here prior to picking up the unit. he is heading to the maritimes Canada and Newfoundland when he leaves Maine with his new purchase. The rock tamers look like a great addition!
Old 06-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
Jimskyd, was the stainless steel utility compar
tment an option from the factory?

I did keep my 50amp surge protector

Not familiar with the smart plug, will do some research on that.
Thank you.
The stainless compartment upgrade is advertised at JC in their service area but we had them added at our dealer after delivery. Seems like it would be a no-brainer to install them as part of the production process but, alas, some things just defy logic.

The smart plug is new to the marine industry, offered at AS dealerships, and is much safer. Most boat fires are caused by Marinco shore power connectors that develop a high resistance, heat up, and catch things on fire. Smart Plug uses a much better contact design and eliminates this cause of problem.

If you do use a Smart Plug, make sure that the connector is installed strictly per Smart Plug instructions. Our dealer did not do that and created an additional unsafe condition when the cable separated from the plug inside the plug housing where you could not see the problem.
Bothell, WA
WBCCI 03495
JimskyD is offline   Reply With Quote