Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Opinions sought on color scheme

We'll be ordering a 2018 30' Classic Twin in a couple of weeks and we keep going back and forth on the interior color scheme. I think we've narrowed it down to Mocha Cherry cabinetry (for now ), but can't decide whether to go with the light seating (Macadamia) with dark countertops, or the dark seating (Chestnut) with light countertops.

Look, I know this is beyond a 1st world problem, there are more important issues in the world, and ultimately we'll have to decide for ourselves. But I was curious about other's opinions. Maybe some personal experience that might potentially sway us one way or another. Please indulge us!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:57 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Congratulations! We have a 2016 27' Flying Cloud with cashew (camel color) seating and dark counter tops. We had a choice between cashew or black. The black went well with the dark counters but it was too contrasting with the cabinetry. The cashew was a nicer choice for us because the look was more monochromatic with the counters, cabinets and flooring. We felt that color scheme made the space feel larger. The more contrast in a space, the smaller it appears.

We recently replaced our factory range oven to the SMEV. This range is available in the recent Classic models. After installing this Italian beauty, we were pleasantly surprised the dark glass cover lid went very well with our dark counters. The old range had a stainless cover and stuck out like a soar thumb. So now the galley appears larger. So something to consider is that a lighter colored counter will be contrasting with the dark glass lid.

From our experience, the darker counter tops show less dirt, but easily show scratches and dust. We still love our counters none the less.

Yes, there are more pressing world issues but that doesn't relegate you to not having the luxury of making decisions and acquiring things that make your life happy. Wish you well in your decision! Keep us posted.

Happy travels!

P.S. Tried to download photos of before and after of range oven install and the difference it made, but site was having problems. Maybe later.

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have a 2017 with Maple cabinets, light counter and table and dark sofa and dinette seating. We selected this because we travel with two Labradors who we know when we are out get up on the sofa. It in over 100 nights still looks great.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:33 AM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have the Mocha Cherry with the Macadamia and love it. I kinda knew I would love it because I had cherry cabinets and black granite in my traditional house so for me it was not a hard choice. I have really like the lighter seating because I have a small white doggy and her hair doesn't show on the lighter sofa at all of course I know her hair is still there is just doesn't show and it would show on the darker sofa. I also prefer the contrast of the black counter top with the cream seating, to me it's just a more light and airy feeling but you are right about making your own decision. I have been living full time in the AS since December and I have throughly enjoyed the interior design minus about half of the pillows. If I had to do it over I would still choose the same color scheme.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One point of reference I would suggest is to consider what the interior will look like on a dark rainy overcast day, a time when you might want the inside to be more cheerful and uplifting with a lighter color scheme.

On a gorgeous bright sunny day, the darker materials look rich and great. Maybe not so when the weather is punky?

No matter what you pick, you will end up being happy with the choice, so I would not spend too much time agonizing over these choices.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
One point of reference I would suggest is to consider what the interior will look like on a dark rainy overcast day, a time when you might want the inside to be more cheerful and uplifting with a lighter color scheme.

On a gorgeous bright sunny day, the darker materials look rich and great. Maybe not so when the weather is punky?

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have the Mocha Cherry with the Macadamia and love it. If I had to do it over I would still choose the same color scheme.
Peter's point above regarding the darker interior being rather somber on a cloudy day, for example, is one we have thought about and wondered whether it might be a concern for us.

Lauri, as someone who has been living full time in your Airstream for a while with dark cabinets and counters, what is your feeling about that?

Old 08-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My opinion after walking through the trailers on a dealership lot:
Mocha cheery cabinets- I don't like how the lighter cabinets (maple?) have black painted accents around the raised panels- makes it look like a mobile home trailer (or an sob) to me...
Chestnut seating- I like the classic brown leather look. I have the lighter almost yellow looking Ultraleather in my Classic.
light counters- makes it brighter and more airy.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
One more thing

One more thing to consider is how easy it will be to match accessories. I painted a bathroom (in our home) a color I really liked, only to find that there was NO WAY to find towels that looked good with the paint. The next time I painted a different bathroom, I bought the towels first and then matched the paint to them. Much easier.

Some colors are easy to match / contrast with. Some are very difficult.

Of course I'm assuming you will be matching dishes, etc. . . .
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Collins , Colorado
We just order the same thing yesterday. We chose the lighter cabinets to lighten up the inside. We have learned from experience to stay away from the black countertops becasue they show all the dirt and debris. We also order the dark brown sofa becasue we have pet and we figured the dark color would be better. Congrats on your new purchase. Not sure how long you have to wait. We won't get ours till late November.
jlamb42247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Well after living in it full time I still absolutely love the interior I choose and would make the same choice again. I don't find it dark and gloomy at all, why?, well it has interior lights, they even have a dimmer so...not dark at all. Second it is not harder or easier to keep clean, the dog hair may still be there you just can't see it on another color but it is still there. Right? So...as to what color towels, I choose a nice rich turquoise which looks great against the cherry. IMO, the monochromatic browns were much darker but that is just me. It also may help that I have spent most of my time in sunny places but I don't think so. I know a lot of people love maple...I grew up with maple furniture as a kid and teenager and hated my parents choice. So soon as I could afford nicer furniture I went with Cherry. Granted we aren't talk g expensive high end cherrywood but the effects are the same. Also, I have no pretence of saying I am camping...I'm not, I am glamping and make no apologies. I think the Cherry Macadamia goes well with the Waterford crystal and Lenox China but again, just my opinion because you asked.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Of course I'm assuming you will be matching dishes, etc. . . .
That will be my wife's department if it actually happens (which I doubt)...I'm only versed in handling sewer hookups and the like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb42247 View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. Not sure how long you have to wait. We won't get ours till late November.
We will order in a couple of weeks. Our dealer seems to move a lot of trailers and last time we special ordered one came in sooner than we thought, so we'll just have to see. Congrats on yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Also, I have no pretence of saying I am camping...I'm not, I am glamping and make no apologies. I think the Cherry Macadamia goes well with the Waterford crystal and Lenox China but again, just my opinion because you asked.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb42247 View Post
We just order the same thing yesterday. We chose the lighter cabinets to lighten up the inside. We have learned from experience to stay away from the black countertops becasue they show all the dirt and debris. We also order the dark brown sofa becasue we have pet and we figured the dark color would be better. Congrats on your new purchase. Not sure how long you have to wait. We won't get ours till late November.
We think you are going to like your color choices and for the reasons you stated. We've owned 14 RVs including this our forth Airstream. This color combination is light and welcoming and although the Corian counter tops do scratch we have to turn on all the lights and get right down on top of them to see any scratches, were as the dark counters show everything. The dark sofa is a great choice for our two Labradors.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When we were looking at them, we didn't see any color scheme that just said "don't buy this". We also didn't see any that were a must have. The light counters / dark leather is working well for us and our dogs. I agree that light is better on a rainy day. That's true in an RV and in a tent ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Helpful thoughts here....thanks.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Another consideration is your activity level. If you will be in and out a lot, light is more an issue. Light color shows any dirt, etc. Light floors, light seating, etc. I have listened to at least three full-time RV videos of people that remodeled in a lighter color and now they share about how the light color shows everything. They like their choice of color but it requires more work to keep up per se. One such video I just heard it on is Less Junk more Journey. Darker is more forgiving. I believe the issue with ambient light is easily resolved with all the windows. When I had my custom couch done, I went with the brown Classic color Villa recommended.