Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
scary and exhausting. I don't believe I would have your fortitude....
Old 05-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
If you have pictures that would be fabulous (whether it's a DIY or dealer install). Thanks!!
ABSOLUTELY!! I will send pictures post repair. This will be a factory repair and disconnect install. I know JC is busy but I have been told they may be able to squeeze me in on a Friday. So here is hoping.

Padawan
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
Good question and I am not sure. I have not contacted my insurance company for reasons explained above. But Artie at JC mentioned insurance too and I'm wondering if it might be covered under comprehensive since we have full coverage: like wind damage or a tree falling on your AS. Just guessing since I did not give my insurance company the chance to approve or deny.

Padawan
I had a similar experience with my 25’ International Serenity, but the skin was damaged at both mounting brackets and side skin scraped so a $19K fix which insurance paid less deductible. We installed a power isolation switch which I still have to do on our Classic. After reading your post it is now at the top of my list before the next trip!

If you do install the switch be sure you don’t cut power when the awning is extended because you will then have to do the indexing routine when you try to retract it, not a problem, just a pain. Glad you persevered and enjoyed your trip! Good luck on the repairs.
Steve
Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I had a similar experience with my 25’ International Serenity, but the skin was damaged at both mounting brackets and side skin scraped so a $19K fix which insurance paid less deductible. We installed a power isolation switch which I still have to do on our Classic. After reading your post it is now at the top of my list before the next trip!

If you do install the switch be sure you don’t cut power when the awning is extended because you will then have to do the indexing routine when you try to retract it, not a problem, just a pain. Glad you persevered and enjoyed your trip! Good luck on the repairs.
Steve
Sorry to hear that you had the same misfortune. The disconnect switch is definitely on the repair schedule. For me to have confidence that this will not happen again, something has to be in place. We had considered towing with power off to the AS but due to refrigerated medications we need to keep the refrigerator on.

Thank you for the advice about cutting power when the awning is extended. Not sure what the indexing routine is?

Padawan
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have the power awning and there is an “on/off” switch for the awning located on the awning control pad near door along with “open” and “close”. Why doesn’t pressing the OFF button disconnect the power? And wouldn’t it be better is the motors burned out with latches secured then having awning extend itself while driving?
Thanks for clarifying.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I have the power awning and there is an “on/off” switch for the awning located on the awning control pad near door along with “open” and “close”. Why doesn’t pressing the OFF button disconnect the power? And wouldn’t it be better is the motors burned out with latches secured then having awning extend itself while driving?
Thanks for clarifying.
With our 2017 Classic, we do not control the awning directly through the Zip-Dee control panel. Ours uses the Firefly system. Our Firefly control panel has an awning "Unlock" rocker switch. As it was described to me, the system detects when the AS is in motion and locks out the controls. But it does not disconnect the power.

I suggested to JC bypassing the Firefly, installing a latch or a power disconnect switch. The factory recommended the power disconnect switch which seems like a more elegant solution. Albeit better than losing the entire awning, with latches I think it would be troublesome and costly if you had to change out awning motors periodically.

Padawan
Old 05-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Did Artie offer any thoughts on why Awning opened? I was told the switch you mentioned earlier on firefly was added because of this happening to earlier models (before switch).
Also glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
Did Artie offer any thoughts on why Awning opened? I was told the switch you mentioned earlier on firefly was added because of this happening to earlier models (before switch).
Also glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip!
Artie thinks the awning control board failed and caused the unintended extend. However we won't know until they can take a look at it during repair. I guess too early to tell. I will let you know what they find post repair.

Stay tuned!
Padawan
Old 05-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #29
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
You are an inspiration!
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Sounds like it needs a mechanical latch on the outside that is interlocked to the motor. You have to physically pull the latch to get the awning open and the motor to come on. I am old and love the idea of a power awning. At about $3500 and that works. I guess I will just sit in the sun or wrestle the manual awning until I can not.

Sounds like if anybody pays for it besides you it ought to be Airstream. Particularly if it is wired through their design and apart from the Zip Dee controls. But......
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Well, Bill I love the power awning. I always hated getting the manual awning to latch.

I like Pat/Lee my awning has a switch with on/off on the other side of the entry, not sure if I need another on off switch.

I like Bills idea of some kind of mechanical latch.

Keep the ideas coming.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #32
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
won't insurance pay the repairs??
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
After reading your post I went over to check our unit. I know I tightened the wheels by hand when we left Georgia to Florida. And I did make sure we locked the clamp.

With our 25 2019 both wheels were loose and the latch was half way not fully locked. I don't want to have to cut zip ties on and off wonder if there is another safety latch option.

Guess I wil double check all now at rest stops and fuel stops. Thanks for posting this safety item
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #34
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Zip Dee recommends installing a power cutoff switch with their power awnings. Airstream has neglected to do as Zip Dee suggests. This is why some have had problems with their power awnings extending while moving. Take it up with JC.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Thanks, Padawan, for your response. I will be double-checking awning latches from now on at every stop. I love my power awning and after learning last summer the hard way to NEVER EVER flip the switch off while it's extended, I've been living happily ever after with it. I had a manual awning on my first Airstream and rarely used it because it was such a PIA to raise and lower, which you (at least me) had to do frequently, because I was either leaving the trailer for a while or a storm was moving in, or the wind suddenly picked up. Being able to just hit the switch to raise and lower my shade has increased my use of it a hundredfold.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Zip Dee recommends installing a power cutoff switch with their power awnings. Airstream has neglected to do as Zip Dee suggests. This is why some have had problems with their power awnings extending while moving. Take it up with JC.
That is unfortunate. The cost of replacement hurts BUT the scariest thing that runs through my mind is what would have happened if I was passing someone or had been in the left lane when the awning let loose. It's the thing of nightmares envisioning the awning hitting a vehicle behind us or landing on the highway and causing an additional incident. We were blessed that the awning landed in the ditch.

I really think Airstream would be wise to consider Zip Dee's recommendation.

Padawan
Old 05-07-2019, 06:33 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Thanks, Padawan, for your response. I will be double-checking awning latches from now on at every stop. I love my power awning and after learning last summer the hard way to NEVER EVER flip the switch off while it's extended, I've been living happily ever after with it. I had a manual awning on my first Airstream and rarely used it because it was such a PIA to raise and lower, which you (at least me) had to do frequently, because I was either leaving the trailer for a while or a storm was moving in, or the wind suddenly picked up. Being able to just hit the switch to raise and lower my shade has increased my use of it a hundredfold.
Oh, I LOVE our power awning and this incident does not change my mind, The fix is in with the power disconnect switch and will be happily using my new awning later this summer. I am also very cautious with my awning. We never leave the awning extended unattended and retract when a storm approaches. We were camping in Harper's Ferry in 1998 with our pop-up camper when a thunderstorm rolled in and flipped our awning over our camper. No damage but that learning experience taught me a lot about awnings and wind.

Again thank you for the advise to never shut off the power when extended - good to know!!

Padawan
Old 05-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #38
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
It would almost seem from this moment that JC should have some liability if they dont install according to manufacturers recommendations .....how many people has this happened to ....recall???

I still believe you should speak to your insurance under comprehensive ... years ago a large 5th wheel arrived at the park we were at ..... the guy had 3 bikes hanging off a rack on the back of the trailer .... he hadn't quite secured them properly and it folded down on the hi way grinding the crap out of the bikes ..... he didnt know until someone flagged him over. He contacted his insurance company and they replaced everything there in that towns local bike shop in about 3 days.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
It would almost seem from this moment that JC should have some liability if they dont install according to manufacturers recommendations .....how many people has this happened to ....recall???

I still believe you should speak to your insurance under comprehensive ... years ago a large 5th wheel arrived at the park we were at ..... the guy had 3 bikes hanging off a rack on the back of the trailer .... he hadn't quite secured them properly and it folded down on the hi way grinding the crap out of the bikes ..... he didnt know until someone flagged him over. He contacted his insurance company and they replaced everything there in that towns local bike shop in about 3 days.
Good point! I would advocate for a recall!! Just the thought of that awning hitting a vehicle behind me gives me the shivers. However, you have the bean counters sharpening their pencils. Is the cost/benefit analysis of a recall worth a few instances. I know that sounds harsh but it's business. This reminds me of a movie "Class Action" with Gene Hackman where an auto maker decided that a recall was more expensive than the odds of an incident occurring.

You have a good suggestion regarding insurance. I will think about a claim. As I mentioned before I am concerned what the claim would do to our premiums. Our rates are incredibly low and I would be hesitant to shine a spotlight on that.

Padawan
Old 05-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
......snip....

Thank you for the advice about cutting power when the awning is extended. Not sure what the indexing routine is?

Padawan
Check the trouble shooting section of your Zipdee manual. I believe it is under awning will not close...

Steve