Old 09-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
New 2017 Classic 30 Twin from Colonial

Hello friends. We're very happy to report on our experience taking delivery of our new Airstream! We took delivery of our 2017 Classic 30 from Colonial, NJ on Thursday, 9/22. Given everything we read here on the forum, Kat and I expected many more issues than we had actually experienced ... our expectations were low and we entered the delivery expecting problems. We were so happy that the few issues we've observed so far are mostly superficial and not at all concerning. In order of precedence so far:

- Hairline crack in the fiberglass shower, near the hinge but above the door, maybe about 1-1/2" long, looks like a very thin blond hair.
Actually, I was really concerned about this when I found it while showering on day #2 or 3, but the General Manager, Dave Starin, assured me that we'll be fine. I can either replace the shower or just have it repaired ... I'm opting for repair, but will decide after further consultation.
- FantasticFan Motor Housing - Front-facing motor housing screw stripped - falls out ... motor housing loose. Discovered on day 4 away from Colonial.

- Refrigerator door - locking "catch" not "catching" - despite seating with a firm "click," the door flops open, only to hit the handle on the pantry and puts a dent in the aluminum door panel; Colonial replaced the refrigerator door once before we arrived, for the same reason; now it's dinged again. Not cool, but I'm confident they can fix it permanently on my next trip up to NJ.

- Clothes rod in "master closet" is too short - needs a longer rod - maybe 1/32" is holding onto the mounts. Easy/cheap fix. Discovered on Day 5 away from Colonial.

- Top Left Roadside Cabinet Door (located over dinette, which houses DVD Player) - closing door doesn't turn-off the light without pushing-in on the top of the door ... Discovered on Day 4 away from Colonial. It just occurred to me that I need to check this while at the storage lot tomorrow. Dangit.

- 2 Window shades were loose - fell down while driving ... at delivery, I found one a window shade with this "problem" and Chris (Colonial) showed me how to fix it in the future ... it took all of 20 seconds. Easy now that I was taught how to fish for a lifetime...

- Small cargo bay closest to the ground (latch not mounted properly and door doesn't completely close/seal) ... assuming they'll need to replace the panel assembly ... again an easy fix.

- Light scratches in the corian countertop between the sink and the stove. Within an hour, of identifying the issue, their corian/fiberglass repair guy arrived and had it buffed out perfect. Easy and quick fix given a skilled worker with equal attention to detail.

- Silicone smears on the windows and some residual sticker glue on the shower wall and bathroom sink
... within 2 hours, the detailer got that all cleared up - perfect! This guy is as detail oriented as I am! I tried to tip him and he wouldn't take a penny!

- Corian Over-Sink-Top Drop-In's ... don't fit in their designated storage location in the cabinet under the sink. There's a new panel on the left wall that interferes with the placement of the two drop-in's. I need to figure out how I'm going to deal with it. It's an engineering screw-up from the factory. I can put them on my disc sander and remove some material to allow relief for the offending digital panel. Or insist that Colonial deal with Airstream on a more permanent fix. I'm guessing the fix is to trim relief just like I would in my home-shop. Insignificant annoyance.

We were only running on 30A service for the 5 days we camped with it at three sites, during our shake-down week of camping. 1 AC was sufficient despite the temps ... we never checked the bedroom AC. The electronic control panel and the Alde system seemed confusing at first ... it's nothing ... figured it all out without the manual given 20 minutes of "playtime." Same for Dometic 2-Zone AC/HeatPump/Fan controller with 2 Programs. Had that puppy turning on the heat at 0715 and shutting down later in the day. Also had the Alde radiant heat ensure that the internal temp of the trailer didn't drop below 64 (like it did the first two nights). Nice...

We were really pleased with our salesman, Patrick Botticelli, the general manager, David Starin, our delivery guy, Kevin, and our "set-up and fixer guy," Chris, who could very well have been the owner of the dealership given the way he catered to our needs. He got a 12-pack of Stella as a small gesture of our appreciation. The whole experience was incredible. I have nothing negative to say and let me assure you, I'm a detail fanatic, if you haven't already figured that out.

I hope we don't discover any more significant issues later... I haven't gone looking for stripped screws ... nor have I done any destructive assessments. But to date, as far as build quality is concerned, I am most pleased with our experience so far. Airstream gets an "A-" and Colonial gets an A+! Thanks for reading.

Take care,
Rich
Save

Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Rich,

Glad you took delivery!

Here are a few random thoughts:

1. The fridge door will always get dinged on the handle from the drawer to the left of the fridge. Unless you put a piece of rubber or something on there. The first time the new door accidentally hits that (and it will), it will get dinged again. I just decided to live with it as it's not super noticeable.

2. I may have a larger qualm than you do with the shower. These trailers take a lot of vibrations and if there is already a crack... I'd at least have it professionally repaired with some fiberglass epoxy.

3. Make sure to keep the water pump/system on at night to listen and hear if it turns on. This is how I knew I had a leak under my bathroom sink. The pump should never come on. If it does, you are losing pressure somewhere.

4. Unfortunately the light scratches are just a part of life with the Corian. Glad they got it out for you though. You can also just polish future scratches yourself.

5. I would take an afternoon and remove all drawers, access panels etc and snoop around. The "hidden" utility/mechanical areas of the trailer are where I found most quality issues. Check for proper routing of pipes, wires tied and connected properly, stuff rubbing, stuff just loose etc.. Electrical fires in RV's isn't a joke!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the posts. We took delivery of a 2017 Classic Twin two days ago. Drove it home about 200 miles and everything stayed in place and nothing opened. I started looking for issues yesterday as I began the process of organizing the outside storage areas, and also starting checking inside with a 1,000 Lum Tac light. Again, so far nothing. We ran both AC units while having our go thru at the dealership and seemed to work ok, much different than our 30' FC we sold. Very quick on and off and very quite, despite we had ducted Air in our FC. This unit is much quieter.

From your two posts I am going to check the shower for cracks, Corian will get scratched our first time out if not before so not concerned with that, but like the idea of pulling drawers etc.

Did either of you receive a Alde instruction manual with your unit. I've figured the system out etc but have no separate manual and it's referenced a number of times in the Classic Owners Manual.

Thanks

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
http://www.lifesabundance.com/budroberts
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We have taken delivery of a 2017 Classic and are also very pleased.
Nothing has come loose or fallen off, every thing works the way it should. Fit and finish is better than expected.
The Alde system works great. We are camping in northern Ontario and have experienced night temperatures below freezing the system holds a constant temp never varying more than 1 degree. I found the manual on the Alde web site, although not well written it helped to figure out the panel.
A decorative fridge magnet will take care of the dint in the refrigerator door, don't ask how I know !!!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm glad you had a positive experience with Colonial. Thanks for sharing!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
Thanks for sharing. We are scheduled to pick up our Flying Cloud 28A tomorrow from Colonial. I hope our experience is as good as yours.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
Two of the silicone dots that are sticky on one side and are raised worked for our refrigerator issue. Just place them where you see the door making contact.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
Richard

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Midland , Texas
Excellent info Rich and others! We have considered a new Classic twin, but have been discouraged by the negative reports on this forum. Our FC has been almost trouble free, and just the thought of spending big bucks on a unit that has bathroom mirrors falling off, awnings getting stuck, etc. is not attractive. Perhaps AS has finally taken notice and the problems are mostly applicable to the 2016s. We will watch for future reports, and really appreciate your time on this one. ��
Old 09-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rich and Kat, congratulations on your new AS. I am pleased to see you had a pretty positive experience in your delivery and that you prepared for it as well as you did. These are hand built machines and we should all expect there to be some issues that require attention. As long as we inspect and correct the little things where we can, they won't turn into major problems that require dealer or factory involvement. You and I communicated just after we took delivery of our 2017 Serenity 28 International. Like you, I spent a lot of time preparing for delivery and after reading these blogs for months, I went into it expecting to find all sorts of issues. Being a very detail oriented and technically minded person I wanted to see everything work and see where everything was located. Even though this was a brand new AS fresh from the factory I brought a moisture meter and checked every dark recess I could get into. We had some serious rain the week before we took delivery and during it's transit to Safford RV. I was pleased to see no moisture - no apparent leaks. I was happy to report a very smooth and near flawless delivery - a few minor things corrected on the spot - a rock guard with a ding - new part ordered - but nothing else. Post delivery issues - water pump continuously running - my bad air bubble in line. Once I ran the faucets it settled down and runs only when there is a faucet open. I did have one of the riveted knobs on the small elongated window blinds come off - dumb design - a small sheet metal screw permanently fixed that issue - I can see that being a future problem with the other blinds. I also have had issues with the hinges in the cabinets. The covers come off the hinge allowing the hinges to snap open and the doors to be vulnerable to falling off. I have installed a lot of these very nice hinges on cabinets I have built so the solution is simple - keep the covers from falling off - a minor adjustment. However - it needs to be done or else it could lead to a door popping off on a tow and collateral damage. I will say I am very impressed that the AS cabinet shop ensured the gaps all around the doors (all doors and drawers were even - you hardly see this type of attention to detail in high end furniture. I also have discovered that my Automatic Zip Dee awning does not completely close some times - it gets to just where the metal cover is about to go over the fabric and stops. All I do is select open and stop it and then select close again. It closes all the way and seems to be just fine. It does not do this all the time so it has to be a limit switch or something like that. I am fine with this until I take it for anything more serious that I might discover. I am hoping I have to live with this "personality trait" until just before my warranty expires in two years. That would me I had not serious issues. We did take her on a 4 day shake down camping trip to Kerr Reservoir - North Bend Army Corps of Engineers campground - out Hwy 58 - highly recommended. It was our first time there so we were unfamiliar with the route. We trusted out new Garmin RV GPS. Well it took us down a 2 mile gravel road to the main entrance which was totally not necessary. There was a very nicely paved Rt 4 into the campground. My point is the AS got a good washboard road shakedown. I fully expected to see some loose screws or worse - nada. Besides being dusty not a single issue. The campground was superb, 50 amp service and water - on the lake. During the week there is no one there so you have a very quiet and private experience. The AS performed wonderfully and towed like a dream back to Va Beach in a driving rainstorm. It did wash all the dust off though. The only issue I had was my TV - blew a silicone boot off the turbo charger pipe to the intercooler. I was able to acquire a new clamp and reattach the boot after fiddling with it on Hwy 58. Not a fun experience with no shoulder and in a driving rainstorm. Anyway - welcome and congratulations to you and Kat. If you are like us, we can't wait to hit the road again!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
My Zipdee also does the "almost closed" and stop feature. It also does it on opening sometimes. Pressing the opposite direction key then the original direction seems to fix it every time so far. Don't know if this is by design or what the deal is...

I'm just dreading the day a storm is approaching and it decides not to close. Damn convenient awning though!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
James (Zybane) - noted. You always have on-point advice and I very much appreciate your counsel ... regarding inspection of the less obvious spaces, I'd prefer to do this with you over beers. :-) I have no idea how you learned all of this, but I aspire to do the same...

Bud (paiceman) - I haven't looked for my Alde manual yet, but I will this weekend. I'll try to remember to get back with an update. Ping me if I don't.

Naper - glad to hear how well your Alde heater works. I don't like the idea of the door magnet but I understand "this is how it is." Seems sad that we'd have to settle for concealment of a symptom in lieu of just addressing the root problem.

nwdionne - I have a butt-load of those silicone buttons and other similar felt cushions. Will bring some to the camper in storage tomorrow.

FCStreamer - sorry if I gave the wrong impression that I had a "positive experience with Colonial." It was actually much better than that. And I am not affiliated with Colonial or Patrick or anyone else at Colonial or Airstream. It was just a great experience and I highly recommend them.

Dan_Rox - I wish you the best. I hope you've read a bunch. I regret not remembering to use Rocinante's delivery checklist. I had it printed out ... but completely forgot. No biggie. I implicitly trust David Starin to make anything that is wrong, right. You should too. And take care of Chris ... he drinks Stella. :-)

Kilo3 - As has been said, the forums are full of folks who vent in frustration. That's normally who I am. Believe me when I tell you that I am critical and anal ... attention to detail is one of my greatest strengths ... and flaws because I can find the negative in anything. My one datapoint is meaningless. Bottom line: buy from a trustworthy dealer and know they'll make it right. While I have a rather significant and well-equipped woodworking shop, I bought the extended warranty for peace of mind ... especially important for the Alde. If you're inclined, just go for it. Airstream has improved their quality and we're already seeing the changes!

VaTravelers - I recall our interaction and appreciate the tip on the ACOE campsite! I haven't left the water pump on overnight ... but did leave it on for a number of hours and didn't hear anything leaking. We've been getting monsoon-like rain so I'll bring my moisture meter to the trailer tomorrow. I might even be able to adjust the one overhead cabinet door that's not shutting the cabinet light off. If not, I will just shim it with a felt pad until we come up with a better long-term solution.
Unfortunately, I don't understand your note about the hinges:
Quote:
I also have had issues with the hinges in the cabinets. The covers come off the hinge allowing the hinges to snap open and the doors to be vulnerable to falling off. I have installed a lot of these very nice hinges on cabinets I have built so the solution is simple - keep the covers from falling off - a minor adjustment. However - it needs to be done or else it could lead to a door popping off on a tow and collateral damage.
Can you please explain? Maybe with a pic if it's not too much trouble?

Finally, I haven't played with our awning much, yet, so I don't know if I'm experiencing the same issue.

I just remembered annoyances with this trailer - the wall-mounted LED lights, inconveniently mounted at eye-level, while lying in bed. I need to devise an elegant solution for this soon ... maybe screwing a small vinyl patch to the panels? Another annoyance is not being able to dim all trailer lights and/or the control panels over the beds - they're either on or off. Would be wonderful to figure out how to dim the LEDs - if they're capable.

Anyway, more to come over time. The trailer is in storage about 20-50 minutes from my house (depending on traffic) so I won't be going there as often as I'd like. Thanks for following the thread!

Sincerely,
Rich
Save
Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I'm just dreading the day a storm is approaching and it decides not to close. Damn convenient awning though!
James, I've dedicated a 20V drill to the trailer, just for emergency awning retraction, operation of the ProPride WD bars, stabilizer jacks and spare tire jack, though, I do need to purchase that dedicated chuck...
Save
Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
If you're having an issue with the Zip Dee awning not closing completely, give Nate a call at Zip Dee (use the toll free number on the instruction manual that came with your awning). He will walk you through a pretty simple adjustment to the limit switch that's located under the round rubber boot on the left side of your awning (looking at the awning from your front door). He did this for me and it was very simple. I think most of the early gestation issues with the Relax awning have been worked through. Those of us with the early versions coped with some significant hassles. Some of them were due to faulty installation at JC. (If you want to see something scary, watch how fast the motor spins at the very bottom of the awning arm (where it attaches to the trailer). IF that spinning motor touches the thickly insulated wire harness it will make mincemeat out of the wiring. Something to check every once in awhile. Also, if your battery drops just a bit below 12V, the awning will not operate. In the very first versions (so I'm told), the motor would burn out if it was undervolted. Zip Dee changed out a chip in the control panel so this wouldn't happen. As you know, the Classic has a huge draw of 12V power consumers. Some of us have gone to 6V AGM's (I have 4 of them). My next big move will be to Lithiums. Big $1!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Just two days old now. Testing everything in the driveway. AirHeads I got an Alde owners manual emailed to me from the AS factory within half and hour of asking for it.

Issues found so far. 1. Alde system has no fluid in it. In discussions with factory now yesterday and expect some type of resolution today. 2. When plugged into our home, we have a 30amp plug in the garage, nothing in the AS works electrically unless the battery disconnect switch is set to USE. Not the way the owners manual says it should work, nor the way our previous AS trailers have worked. Everything works fine as long as the battery disconnect switch is set to USE, if disconnected everything shuts down, including the firefly panels - everything.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
http://www.lifesabundance.com/budroberts
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote