Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Dick

Enjoy the motorhome. Nice units.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
I can not get my sanitary temp above 144f. Elec on, gas on and boost mode. Heater temp max is 166.
My shower is lasting about 5min and that's not a hot shower just warm.
I've tried everything and this shouldn't be this hard. I'm not getting much help from airstream.
Is this just the way it works?
Do I have a heat exchanger problem?
Any help would be great. My email bougeois2@yahoo.com
Bougeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:12 AM   #143
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougeois View Post
I can not get my sanitary temp above 144f. Elec on, gas on and boost mode. Heater temp max is 166.
My shower is lasting about 5min and that's not a hot shower just warm.
I've tried everything and this shouldn't be this hard. I'm not getting much help from airstream.
Is this just the way it works?
Do I have a heat exchanger problem?
Any help would be great. My email bougeois2@yahoo.com

You're getting 1 minute longer than me and I start at 151 sanitary temp! I'm working with Jon at Airstream to solve the issue. He is busting his tail trying to help me figure it out. We have not solved it yet. But most folks on here have solved it so I am hopeful but becoming very impatient. I've been dealing with it since November 9th.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #144
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Okay, I'm going to drain my hot water tank and do this weekly. I am also living in the AS full-time. My question is what sequence do you use when turning off city water outside, open the drain underneath the trailer, turn on all the inside faucets and open the hot water valve, or does it make a difference?
wswhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #145
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswhiting View Post
Okay, I'm going to drain my hot water tank and do this weekly. I am also living in the AS full-time. My question is what sequence do you use when turning off city water outside, open the drain underneath the trailer, turn on all the inside faucets and open the hot water valve, or does it make a difference?

Turn off city water, open sink taps, open drain on hot water tank.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Thanks Mojoe. Got it done. Just for the record, it took 8 minutes to drain.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #147
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Boug - turn off the propane options. You do not need it. Promise. As stated before, sometimes you will have to allow the Alde system for the shower to cycle through twice. 2 full cycles to get the water hot enough- nothing can be done about this, just have to wait.
If yourSanitary Temperature is saying you are at 145 then you are close to the max temperature you are going to get. If you are not getting showers longer than 5 minutes then you need to go back under and open up the mixing valve more. If you still don't have long enough shower then remove the anti scalding device on the shower head it's self. If that doesn't work then you may have a faulty mixing valve but before you request another valve from Airstream make absolutely sure you have completely opened your current one.
I started with nothing, no hot water at all and now I do. This was not accomplished in one weekend, it took months for me to figure out how MY system was working. I got lots of help from Bud and other but mostly it was trial and error and lots of waiting because I didn't know what I was doing, The mothership wasn't helpful and not many people were knowledgeable.
I swear you will get 15 minute shower if you will follow all of the suggestions Bud and I have posted. All of them.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #148
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
A few things I learned today

Just did my BAT performance test and learned a few things. The shower boost is a 30 min timer that changes the Heater setpoint to cycle between about 165 and 154 to heat Sanitary. My gas burner never came on for 30 mins with electric and gas selected. The gas burner (2nd run) or electric raised temp about the same rate. My Heater setpoint usually maintains Sanitary at about 125 when no Heat demands and no HW usage. My shower and kitchen sink full HW flow is about one gallon a minute. My full flow hot run was 3:33 from Alde 145 to sink at 90, with mixing valve set for about 119 and CW make up at 47 (Heber Valley UT). With a 2.5 gallon Sanitary tank and hot Heat water, your Mixing Valve setpoint will have the most effect on duration of "hot" water at the tap. Anybody out there can shower in >120, you got lobster skin. Remove the shower handle anti scald screw and keep resetting the knob on the mixing valve to put out the hottest water you want to risk getting burned with at the tap. Then mix cold only at the tap, using the least and longest hot water.

And make sure that one cross over valve between the hot (red) line and the cold (white) line that cross the length of the seat to the out board wall is shut (handle cross the direction of the line). There is a picture of my factory setup in this thread. The valve is directly above the mixing valve in my picture. And ensure your outdoor shower valves are both shut lest it acts like another mixing valve.

I'll collate any other test run data that you provide on your systems and provide to all.

High O hot water, Away!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cape Coral , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to riffgod1000
Used 2017 Classic 30 Update:

When purchasing any used AS do not assume the dealership has transferred the AS warranty!

After all the trouble with the horrible smell, dents in the fridge, holes in the screen door and topping off the Alde system with the wrong antifreeze it all ends here.

We received call from North Trail RV service department and I was asked if the AS warranty was transferred? Turns out it was not transferred. I called AS warranty department and they told me they could help transfer the warranty for free. If it would have been a 2016 it would have cost $250 to transfer it.

Mixing the Alde antifreeze with Camico ruined the circulation pump. The service department told me if I transferred the AS warranty it would cover the repair.

I cant praise the Good people at AS and North Trail RV in North Ft Myers FL!

With all the controversy about the Alde system and my personal experience my recommendation is use ONLY ALDE FLUID!

Thank you
riffgod1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:22 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
When I went to buy some Alde fluid a couple of weeks ago, the parts person came back to the counter with some off brand fluid. He was completely unaware of any warning from Alde to only use Alde glycol. If this is a true warrant voiding issue, perhaps AS needs to inform their certified dealers.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswhiting View Post
When I went to buy some Alde fluid a couple of weeks ago, the parts person came back to the counter with some off brand fluid. He was completely unaware of any warning from Alde to only use Alde glycol. If this is a true warrant voiding issue, perhaps AS needs to inform their certified dealers.
I order my spare bottles directly from Airstream by calling the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffgod1000 View Post
Used 2017 Classic 30 Update:

When purchasing any used AS do not assume the dealership has transferred the AS warranty!

After all the trouble with the horrible smell, dents in the fridge, holes in the screen door and topping off the Alde system with the wrong antifreeze it all ends here.

We received call from North Trail RV service department and I was asked if the AS warranty was transferred? Turns out it was not transferred. I called AS warranty department and they told me they could help transfer the warranty for free. If it would have been a 2016 it would have cost $250 to transfer it.

Mixing the Alde antifreeze with Camico ruined the circulation pump. The service department told me if I transferred the AS warranty it would cover the repair.

I cant praise the Good people at AS and North Trail RV in North Ft Myers FL!

With all the controversy about the Alde system and my personal experience my recommendation is use ONLY ALDE FLUID!

Thank you
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #152
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
. . . The next week I heard some repetitive vibrations from under the seat during my morning quiet time, which were from the Safety valve chattering, about to lift again.
Just a recent analysis of my recurring noise from the Alde revealed the vibration was the burner fan dropping in speed from the High speed to the Low speed, while using supplimental Gas with Electric for Heat.

Anybody else notice this noise? Thanks.

Full-timing in Heber Valley UT, as you can see, when driving north on SR 40, at Jordenelle Reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_180229.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	283830  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #153
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
So I found this
http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=54

Sent to Alde rep and he said their in the works for something like this in the next 90-120 days. No more boiling water for my shower. Lol
Bougeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Bougeois, it would certainly take all the extra work needed to have sufficient hot water daily, pushing a button on the Alde panel and waiting. But, I cannot figure our where it will go in the current configuration as it is set in place prior to water entering the Alde hot water jacket. There is not much room under that dinette seat.

Bud
Old 04-22-2017, 04:56 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
james.mileur, love that area of the country. But, then you have a very accommodating and helpful Ford Dealer in Kalispell.

Bud
Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #156
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
( Continuous Hot Water ) you've got my attention!!!
Has it been 90 days yet. But I agree , don't know where to put it. Wouldn't look that good sitting in the floor under table...but Continuous Hot Water sure would be nice!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougeois View Post
So I found this
http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=54

Sent to Alde rep and he said their in the works for something like this in the next 90-120 days. No more boiling water for my shower. Lol
My wife is interested in the last bullet point in that link!

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:08 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Even though we so far have enough hot water I'd be very interested in this, however, I note that this is for the 3020 the units in our Airstreams are 3010.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #159
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
I'm not sure I understand the need for a mixing valve. I know what they do, just not sure why it's needed. Also if you're mixing hot and cold and it's a closed loop, then does system discharge excess water since you're bringing cold in.
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #160
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeysh714 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the need for a mixing valve. I know what they do, just not sure why it's needed. Also if you're mixing hot and cold and it's a closed loop, then does system discharge excess water since you're bringing cold in.

Never mind. Brain dead.
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote