Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #681
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Hi Big, as I recall you are one of the few 18’s that has not had communication issues between the Alde and the Firefly. Just thinking out loud and wondering if the Alde just isn’t getting the signal from the Firefly that you want to use electric instead of propane. Did you try going under your sink to see what the Alde panel is using? Maybe make adjustments at the Alde panel to see what happens? Like I said, just thinking....I’m sure you have tried this already.

That’s correct. Haven’t really had issues up until this point. I did look under the counter and it did say propane and electrical even though firefly has no propane selected. I corrected the panel and both look like they are talking to each other again. Checked fuses under the closet and none are tripped. But I did trip them all and reset them all just in case.
Tried doing the battery disconnect thing today too. Letting it all sit offline for a bit before I fire it all up. I’m in Canada now and it’s beautiful today (about 70 and scattered clouds). Hope to try it out again tonight on electric.
It’s odd that propane runs the unit but electrical doesn’t? Let me know if anyone can think of anything else, I’ll call airstream tomorrow if it doesn’t work tonight.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 AM   #682
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have found electric only will maintain the trailer at 68f when 45f outside.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #683
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How hot ( in the cold weather ) or how cold ( in the hot weather ) you can get an AS with this or that system depends a *lot* on the sun. Park out in full bright sun ( even in November) and open up all the shades ..... you may not need any heating system when it's only 45 out. Park back in the trees with it cloudy and raining at the same temperature and you likely do need some heat. That's not even getting into the whole "it was 45 at some time last night and I was fine" approach .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #684
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Found a new issue today while putting chemicals in the black tank. Using 12v I turned the water pump on and proceeded to add some chemicals to my recently dumped black holding tank adding water as I go. By the time I finished I hear the expansion tank on the Alde system bubbling. Ok let me go turn that off, but it wasn't on according to the Firefly. So I take a look at the Alde display under the sink and see that the circulating pump is running. I look at the Firefly and see the Alde temp set for 70 degrees and the electric was on 2. The temp on the Alde display was 41 so I changed the temp on the Firefly to match it and turned off the electric, still it ran. Called JC and after some time on the phone they determined I need to have it serviced. Well I didn't like that idea so I decided to reset the Alde display under the sink which no one has ever mentioned to do. This resets the Alde to factory settings and I was willing to find out exactly what it would do. Voila! Pump not running but I did have to run through the menu and make sure the settings is what I wanted. So me likes the reset button it saved me from going to JC because I don't have any faith in the dealer I bought it from.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #685
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Thank you!!

Took out "Elsa" for a quick 3-day run close to home to check for any issues after our lovely winter weather here in Minnesota. I mean a blizzard during the first week of April...come on!! Anyway, I want to THANK everyone on this thread and especially kendrick.l.j and paiceman for all your sage advice on the Alde system. With the your suggested tweeks and knowledge the system worked PERFECTLY!! I had hot water for a nice long showers and for dishes. The camper air heating system worked better than I could have imagined. Again thank you and keep up the good work...in my opinion, this thread and heck all of Air Forums is a valuable resource!!!
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #686
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Looking through 685 replies will take lots of time so forgive me if this question has been asked.
Has anyone installed a Alde system in a renovation?
I think it would great to put one in my 1991 34’ Limited.
Thanks Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #687
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
Looking through 685 replies will take lots of time so forgive me if this question has been asked.
Has anyone installed a Alde system in a renovation?
I think it would great to put one in my 1991 34’ Limited.
Thanks Thomas

I don't recall anyone doing a reno, but I think it's a great idea. There is another system out there as well called the AquaTemp. However, I think it's boiler is pretty big as it is used in the expensive motorhomes.

Let us know if you do and send info. Interesting.

Bud
Old 05-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #688
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I don't recall anyone doing a reno, but I think it's a great idea. There is another system out there as well called the AquaTemp. However, I think it's boiler is pretty big as it is used in the expensive motorhomes.

Let us know if you do and send info. Interesting.

Bud

Thanks I will do that
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #689
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Padawan, that is great news. Once the Alde is set up and working properly, you should not have to do anything else.

Thomas, the Alde system is fantastic and has been used in Europe for many years and on other brands here in the US for some time. If you are doing a complete remodel on your AS I think installing the Alde is a fantastic idea. It is extremely quiet, efficient and produces even heat throughout the interior. It’s a fairly straightforward system and shouldn’t be difficult to install. I would contact Alde directly and ask for manuals, parts, etc. Please keep us posted if you choose this route. Personally, I think it’s a great idea. To answer your question more precisely, I am not aware of anyone installing this system on any other models besides the 2017 and 2018 Classic.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #690
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
2018 Classic 33 - Alde Fluid Loss/Leak

We’ve been on the road since May 11 using Alde system flawlessly for primary heat and, of course, hot water. Last night I noticed the Alde Fluid reservoir was right at the “Mininimum” line. First time I’ve had to top it off since taking delivery of the trailer up in November, so no biggie. I filled it to mid-way between Minimum and Maximum. This morning as we were preparing to pull up, I was turning the system off and noticed the level dropped overnight; this time to below minimum. I filled it mid-way again, and proceeded to travel with both Electric and Gas off and the Alde panel off.

When we stopped for fuel about three hours later, again the level had fallen below Minimum. Keep in mind, the system has been off since this morning. I noticed a small puddle on the ground and Alde Fluid dripping slowly but steadily from the black discharge hose next to the trailer door.

So, two questions:
1. Has anyone else had this issue? What was the cause?
2. Are we able to turn the unit on and use it for Hot Water only (keeping thermostat turned down so as not to start the heater) without damaging the boiler/system?

I’ll call Jackson Center tomorrow am. I’m hoping from some advice now from the “pros” out there that may have been down this road.

Thanks!
Chip
ChipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #691
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
In the menu you can turn the heat off and hot water only, or simpler is just set thermostat so heat will not come on. Sounds like a small leak. Where is the fluid puddle? That is key
Old 06-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #692
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Chip, I agree with PAICEMAN. Sounds like a leak. You wouldn’t happen to have a twin would you? Don’t know if you’re traveling in the southeast but you certainly don’t need heat if you are. I have my Alde “heat” at the lowest possible setting so it never comes on in the summer. When traveling, again in summer, just turn the Alde off although. When I get to where I am going and ready for hot water it doesn’t take long for the boiler to get hot so no need to waste gas IMO. Are you sure the fluid you saw on the ground was glycol? Could it have been water from the boiler? Do not mean to be insulting in the least but I don’t know if you are aware that the boiler needs an air pocket to work at its best, over time this air pocket gets depleted with the heating up then cooling down as demand changes. When the air pocket is completely gone the system will start leaking under the boiler so you need to go inside and pull the pressure valve, open the drain valve, WITH the Water OFF, then open the facets and allow all the water in the boiler to empty. When nothing else is coming out, then reverse the process and your back in business.
I do apologize if you’ve heard all this before but a lot of Classic owners have missed this step.
Of course, the fact that the reservoir is going down means a whole other issue. How long have you had your 33? How many days of actual use?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #693
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
Quote:
In the menu you can turn the heat off and hot water only, or simpler is just set thermostat so heat will not come on. Sounds like a small leak. Where is the fluid puddle? That is key
Thanks Paiceman, It seemed I would be able to heat water, but wasn’t sure. I’ve known to set the thermostat low enough to keep the radiant heat off, and still start the boiler but this is the first I’ve heard about the turning radiant heat off at the menu... I’m looking into that now. Since I discovered the leak I’ve erred on the side of caution and left the system completely off.

The fluid leak is a light steady drip... about one quart over a six to eight hour period. The fluid is dripping from a black drain hose under the trailer just aft of the trailer door (just below the the Alde boiler which is under the dinette). Three drain hoses; red, white, and black together in close proximity, so the puddle is in the same area water puddles when the fusion needs addressing. Definitely Alde Fluid fluid though... the drips are purple, and the taste is sweet. Yes, I tasted it.

I’ll follow up here once I’ve spoken to Jackson Center.

Thanks again for the info Paiceman. I’ve picked up lots of great knowledge on these forums, and this thread in particular. Much of it from your posts. Glad you’re contributing.

Chip
Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #694
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Chip, I agree with PAICEMAN. Sounds like a leak. You wouldn’t happen to have a twin would you? Don’t know if you’re traveling in the southeast but you certainly don’t need heat if you are. I have my Alde “heat” at the lowest possible setting so it never comes on in the summer. When traveling, again in summer, just turn the Alde off although. When I get to where I am going and ready for hot water it doesn’t take long for the boiler to get hot so no need to waste gas IMO. Are you sure the fluid you saw on the ground was glycol? Could it have been water from the boiler? Do not mean to be insulting in the least but I don’t know if you are aware that the boiler needs an air pocket to work at its best, over time this air pocket gets depleted with the heating up then cooling down as demand changes. When the air pocket is completely gone the system will start leaking under the boiler so you need to go inside and pull the pressure valve, open the drain valve, WITH the Water OFF, then open the facets and allow all the water in the boiler to empty. When nothing else is coming out, then reverse the process and your back in business.
I do apologize if you’ve heard all this before but a lot of Classic owners have missed this step.
Of course, the fact that the reservoir is going down means a whole other issue. How long have you had your 33? How many days of actual use?
Hi Laurie,

No twin, although I’ve been told of numerous “doppelgängers” impersonating me.

We’ve been on the road since May 11 traveling through the west, and ultimately up into Canada. The temps at Whistlers in Jasper Natl Park, Johnston Canyon, and Banff were cold, but not freezing... lowest this trip was about 30c. I like dry camping and boondocking (to the extent possible with a 33’ trailer) and the Alde system has been absolutely fabulous. I may have jinxed it by bragging to another Airstream owner I met in Banff (his International was equipped differently) about how amazing the soft, perfect Alde heat isn’t noticed. It’s just there... perfect tempuurature right where I set it. And I never really run out of hot water. Then, next stop back in the states is when I noticed the loss of fluid.

We are in Gardiner today, so the low temps are only 40s, and off again tomorrow for Dakotas. I’ve re-arranged stops and camping locations to be certain we have 50 or 30 amp to run Heat Pump(s) in lieu of Alde heat when it gets chilly at night. We will be back home roughly mid-month, and as you say, won’t need the heat for a while.

Anyway, when not in need of heat or hot water, I do keep Alde off. And I just restored the cusion again last week, so no water puddles under the boiler since/yet. It is definely Alde Fluid dripping ever so slowly from the black discharge hose (three drain hoses there- black, red, and white) under the trailer, aft of the door.

We took delivery of the coach in November 17’ and have, to date, close to 8k miles on her.

I appreciate the response, and am not offended you took the time to explain the cusion. Reading this forum is how I first learned about it (and many other topics and processes to with I was formerly clueless) just after taking delivery.

As I mentioned to Paiceman, I’ll follow-up once the leak is get the unit repaired. Hoping to get it looked at in Jackson Center in early August if they will “piggy-back” this issue onto another repair I have scheduled then.

Thanks again!
Chip
Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #695
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Hi Chip,

There are at least two, maybe three Classics here in the Pacific Northwest that have the same symptoms. One has been in the shop, after replacing the automatic vent valve four times, for seven months. Ours has been in the shop for three. See the thread here for more information.

PLEASE keep us posted on what you find out. I believe that the root cause of the problem, while as yet undetermined, will likely result in other similar failures in the delivered fleet.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...ge-179773.html

Thanks!
Bothell, WA
WBCCI 03495
JimskyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #696
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Chip, sounds like you’re have a great time but sorry to hear about the leak. I will be looking forward to hearing the details. When you get to JC, say hello to John, Artie and the ladies at the front desk. Great group of folks.

With all do respect to Jim, hundreds of Classics with the Alde have been sold all over the country since September of 2016. Hundreds of other RV brands have this same system. I have only heard of 2 that are having your issues both from the same dealer at about the same time. Personally, I don’t think that is a coincidence. But when you find that root cause please let us know.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #697
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Chip:

By off in the menu, I actually was referring to the pump, which can be turned off. Then do as you've done adjust the heating so as to not demand any heat.

A thought, you might have air in the system. Air acts similar to having too much fluid in that it takes up space and could be forcing fluid out in the overflow tube, which is one of the tubes you describe. I would suggest if it's not been done in a while getting the system up to temperature and turning it off, then bleeding off all the air in the system at the 6-7 accessible bleed points. I don't see much connection to what you are experiencing and what the three trailers mentioned by JimskyD but then maybe I missed something. You are simply losing some fluid, and something is forcing it out, so again if you've not done bleeding in a while you might try that, especially if you've changed altitude several times over the period of your trip as I've found that can necessitate a quick bleed.

Good Luck

Bud
Old 06-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #698
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
Quote:
Chip:

By off in the menu, I actually was referring to the pump, which can be turned off. Then do as you've done adjust the heating so as to not demand any heat.

A thought, you might have air in the system. Air acts similar to having too much fluid in that it takes up space and could be forcing fluid out in the overflow tube, which is one of the tubes you describe. I would suggest if it's not been done in a while getting the system up to temperature and turning it off, then bleeding off all the air in the system at the 6-7 accessible bleed points. I don't see much connection to what you are experiencing and what the three trailers mentioned by JimskyD but then maybe I missed something. You are simply losing some fluid, and something is forcing it out, so again if you've not done bleeding in a while you might try that, especially if you've changed altitude several times over the period of your trip as I've found that can necessitate a quick bleed.

Good Luck

Bud
Bud,

You make some great points I haven’t considered. At this juncture, with your help, I have hot water. And on mildly cold nights I will be able to use the heat pumps. Once I get this puppy to JC I’m hoping for a simple explanation and fix. Bleeding pressure from the lines could be that fix. Much like restoring the air cusion, just another process to work into the “on the road” routine if that turns out to be the issue.

I’ll be sure to post and keep everyone apprised once JC weighs in.

Thanks again for the help, and I hope to meet you someday in real life out on on the road.

All the best,
Chip
Old 06-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #699
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Back on post # 684 I thought I fixed a circulating pump issue but, it came back and at 2am.
Wife woke up burning up to find the Alde heat was on and it was 80 degrees in the trailer. She managed to get it shut down and open some windows to cool us down while I slept.

Next day I started checking into the issue. At the Firefly panel all systems were off, and temp was set at 42 degrees, no pump running. Before I could check the Alde panel (under the sink) the circulating pump came on. Alde panel was also set to 42 degrees, so I decided to call AS in JC.

The advisor I spoke to had me check some things and I explained that on the Alde panel the circulating pump was on and it was showing a cabin temp of -4 degrees. He didn’t think that was right and suggested I try bleeding the system in case there was air in there making the pump run. I said ok and would like to make an appt. at JC in case this didn’t work. He advised me to leave a message if they didn’t pick up and they would call you back, so I did.

While I was waiting I decided to call Alde to get there take on our situation. I explained to the tech that all systems on the Firefly were off and the Alde panel was showing the circulating pump as on and the cabin temp at -4 degrees. He immediately diagnosed my cabin sensor (little black thing under dinette cabinet) as being the issue. He advised I check the connections and if I needed any parts he would send them.

Well I found the two-pin connector for the sensor on the backside of the Alde panel to be the culprit. The connector does not snap into place for a more secure hold leaving it vulnerable to vibration and possible intermittent connection. So, I tried my best to secure it better with some zip ties and re-assembled.

So far everything is working, and sensor is showing normal cabin temps. Hope this helps someone else with similar issues.

BTW, still waiting on JC to call back.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #700
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Great info, thanks for posting