Old 10-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #365
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Oh yeah, that.....yup, blew out the valve, had scalding hot water all over the place, not a fun day. Do be very careful.
What they are describing is unscrewing the mixing valve all the way out of the housing .
There is a certain amount of full turns that you can safely back that Valve out from all the way in, I think itís 3 1/2 but I canít remember For sure. They have this info at AS, getting it from them wasnít easy.
But remember thatís from all the way in. There is no way of knowing where you are starting from unless you screw it all the way in first.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #366
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Some City , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
- Thank you! Exactly what I thought; but wanted to make sure before I start "playing". Next step is taking off the anti-scald in the shower (that was new to me!)
- We bought our new camper October '16. With a busy summer of grandson baseball and a lovely trip to Germany to see our other grandson, we didn't have much time for camping. Our first shakedown was a week long trip over Labor Day. LOVE the Alde air heating system! Quiet! And MOST important it keeps the air temp VERY steady!!
- THANK YOU for the welcome! I retire at the end of this year and next year's summer looks full of camping trips!!!!!! :-)
Yes welcome to the 2017 Classic forum on Alde and have fun with it. Congratulations on retirement, it's not bad.

I did the anti-scald and by doing so and adjusting the handle just right I can get up to 12 minutes of hot water shower time. Some doubt the length of time, but for us the anti-scald put the "icing on the cake". The factory nor Alde will, I believe for liability reasons, discuss either mixing valve max adjustment or anti-scald adjustment. The anti-scald was just as easy if not easier than the mixing valve adjustment.

Bud

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #367

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
kendrick.l.j: good advice and I like paiceman's "hurt butterfly". I am winterizing today, 10/8/17. In MN you don't mess around with waiting...high today 69 with frost warnings by Monday night. SHEESH!! Anyway to the point...I am going to follow the valve calibration posted earlier in this thread so that I know where I am at next spring when I start adjusting. Camper is off shore water. ALSO during winterizing I am going to check the position of those black valves. I have the uncomfortable feeling that the crossover may be open.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #368
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
We didnít have to take the anti-scald off on our 2018 Classic and get hot water hot enough that it had to be mixed with cold. I did notice today that the temperature dropped off near the end of my 15 minute shower, but the shower boost had shut off automatically during my shower and the heat hadnít been on because it is too hot to run the heat here in VT in the middle of October.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #369

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
69SoulShine: Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering what Laurie meant about blowing out the valve. I assumed that the valve would have a hard stop when it was full open...silly me (that would be too easy). I plan to turn the valve full "closed or in" (all the way to the right) and use the calibrate instructions posted earlier to know where the valve position is at before adjusting left (open).
Old 10-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #370
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Padawan: I thought the same. There is one other thing,make sure and turn off the Alde system when you turn off both water inputs because if you do spring a leak with the Alde system on and itís hot it will automatically turn on the onboard water pump itís self to cool down system.
These good folks here know so much more about the Alde than I, but I just wanted to pass along the few things I learned when adjusting ours.
Good luck!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #371
Paul Kukstis

2018 30' Classic
Scituate , Massachusetts
Just finishing up shakedown weekend in our 2018 Classic in Lake Champlain ... plenty of hot water & heat but have the gurgling from the expansion tank. Have been bleeding the valves that I found under both sinks, towel bar and behind couch - what am I missing? Have repeated process several times ...bleeding till a little flow of fluid but still gurgling.
Any ideas?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 AM   #372
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.kukstis View Post
Just finishing up shakedown weekend in our 2018 Classic in Lake Champlain ... plenty of hot water & heat but have the gurgling from the expansion tank. Have been bleeding the valves that I found under both sinks, towel bar and behind couch - what am I missing? Have repeated process several times ...bleeding till a little flow of fluid but still gurgling.
Any ideas?

As long as the tank is filled to the proper level youíre fine. A little gurgling is normal. There are two bleed points behind the bed(s) at the rear wall.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #373
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Paul: Our 2017 was gurgling because the pump had been left on the highest setting (#5) and should have been set at 3.5 after purging process.After we move back to 3.5 the gurgling sound was gone.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #374
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I *really* don't understand all this concern about *heating* with the Alde system. It's still summer isn't it? Highs here at the beach in the northeast are still making it over 80 degrees most days. Isn't it still July?

I must say, after getting things sorted out, the Alde has been really boring. Not much excitement at all. As long as I *remember* to turn it on we get hot water. My guess is that the "turn it on" thing is what drove them to integrate stuff into the Firefly. One button and you are up and running. Now, if it just would make coffee in the morning ....

Bob
Old 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #375
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Some City , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I *really* don't understand all this concern about *heating* with the Alde system. It's still summer isn't it? Highs here at the beach in the northeast are still making it over 80 degrees most days. Isn't it still July?

I must say, after getting things sorted out, the Alde has been really boring. Not much excitement at all. As long as I *remember* to turn it on we get hot water. My guess is that the "turn it on" thing is what drove them to integrate stuff into the Firefly. One button and you are up and running. Now, if it just would make coffee in the morning ....

Bob
Agree on the hot water turn on. I often got scolded for forgetting to turn it on and the "someone" starts a shower and it's cold. So now, if in summer and Alde is off when towing, my first act after getting level is to run on the Alde and turn on the Satellite Dish to find it's sats. That way I am good.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #376
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Agree on the hot water turn on. I often got scolded for forgetting to turn it on and the "someone" starts a shower and it's cold. So now, if in summer and Alde is off when towing, my first act after getting level is to run on the Alde and turn on the Satellite Dish to find it's sats. That way I am good.

Bud
Hi

Well, there is a flip side to this. When turning on the hot water, be sure to check the heat setting on the Alde. *IF* you deliberately set the heat to 70F and leave all the windows open when it goes into the 60's at night .... you will have warm towels in the morning..... My story is that I planned it that way ....

Sitting here with the cold wind and rain outside and the quiet Alde heat indoors is *very* nice. I don't miss the roar of the heat pump one little bit. Very little "gurgle" in the glycol tank. Just the slightest whir from the pump under the dinette when it's operating.

Bob