Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Manual Battery Shutoff Wheel

I have new 2018 Classic 33. Manual page 5-9 references a manual shutoff wheel. I assume in the battery case, but don’t see one. I have solar with AGM batteries. Could this be why there is no cutoff wheel? Or am I looking in wrong place?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I've been RVing for over 40 years, and we are on our 4th AS, never heard of a battery shut off wheel. The battery disconnect on ours and most I've ever seen is on the panel by the front door. It's usually a Red switch.

If you find out what the wheel is please post, now I'm curious.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The reference in the manual does speak of a switch. It does not mention if that is just the normal use/store switch we all love or if there is a "real" cutoff switch somewhere. The schematic for the trailer shows what may be a real manual cutoff.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
I have new 2018 Classic 33. Manual page 5-9 references a manual shutoff wheel. I assume in the battery case, but don’t see one. I have solar with AGM batteries. Could this be why there is no cutoff wheel? Or am I looking in wrong place?

Here is your manual IMO:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

On p. 5-9 [PDF p. 37/98] at the top of the right column it refers to a red battery disconnect switch located by the entry door. I don't see any reference to a "wheel" to turn off the battery, but there is also a reference to the Main Multiplex Control Panel.

Airstream's owner's manuals are not the most consistent and reliable, so maybe you could double-check the exact language and report back?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Here is your manual IMO:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

On p. 5-9 [PDF p. 37/98] at the top of the right column it refers to a red battery disconnect switch located by the entry door. I don't see any reference to a "wheel" to turn off the battery, but there is also a reference to the Main Multiplex Control Panel.

Airstream's owner's manuals are not the most consistent and reliable, so maybe you could double-check the exact language and report back?

Thanks,

Peter

Here’s what my printed binder from Airstream says at bottom of page 5-9 of 2018 Classic:

“Classic models are equipped with a manual battery shutoff wheel as a means to manually enable/disable power to the trailer. The manual battery shutoff is operated by turning the green wheel, located on the terminal of the main battery, 1/4 turn Clockwise/Counterclockwise to enable/disable power to the trailer. The battery wheel should be turned to the OPEN position before disconnecting and removing the batteries, storing longer than 14 days, or when extreme power conservation is desired. When disconnected, power to all systems on the trailer is disabled, including the LPG Detector.”

This is verbatim from their manual. I can not find such a wheel. Anyone have an explanation?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Poteau , Oklahoma
some battery terminal have a green wheel on the actual positive battery terminal. Most likely someone replaced the terminals. You can search Ebay for battery disconnect switch and see some examples of this. I have the same problem at the moment, mine has the inline black type disconnect but I can't find the red key to turn it. ha
cowdiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Here’s what my printed binder from Airstream says at bottom of page 5-9 of 2018 Classic:

“Classic models are equipped with a manual battery shutoff wheel as a means to manually enable/disable power to the trailer. The manual battery shutoff is operated by turning the green wheel, located on the terminal of the main battery, 1/4 turn Clockwise/Counterclockwise to enable/disable power to the trailer. The battery wheel should be turned to the OPEN position before disconnecting and removing the batteries, storing longer than 14 days, or when extreme power conservation is desired. When disconnected, power to all systems on the trailer is disabled, including the LPG Detector.”

This is verbatim from their manual. I can not find such a wheel. Anyone have an explanation?
If it's not installed on your battery terminal, then someone forgot to install it and Airstream owes you one. Assuming you bought your 2018 brand new. Excellent upgrade by Airstream by the way. I am planning on installing on on my 2014.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . green wheel, located on the terminal of the main battery . . .
. . .
Thanks. The online Classic manual linked earlier does not have this language, so pcskier may have the best guess IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
If it's not installed on your battery terminal, then someone forgot to install it and Airstream owes you one. Assuming you bought your 2018 brand new.
. . .
There is no problem using the new AS without the green wheel disconnect, but you will have to pay better attention to the batteries not running down in storage.

Good luck with your dealer.

Peter
Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mannford , Oklahoma
I had the same question on my 2018 Classic and wrote to JC to ask where this shut off wheel is. Following is Chris Beaver's response:

As far as the buss bar and the manual shut off wheel, those are not near your batteries, they are located on your front electrical panel that work in relation with your batteries for the rest of the electrical system.

Clear as mud, right?

Gerald
geraldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Anyone have an explanation?
FYI to add another layer of mud to the situation FYI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldsmith View Post
I had the same question on my 2018 Classic and wrote to JC to ask where this shut off wheel is. Following is Chris Beaver's response:

As far as the buss bar and the manual shut off wheel, those are not near your batteries, they are located on your front electrical panel that work in relation with your batteries for the rest of the electrical system.

Clear as mud, right?

Gerald
Thanks Gerald for passing along Airsteam's mudification . . .

Peter
Old 05-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldsmith View Post

Clear as mud, right?

Gerald

So... they are in your electrical closet? How (not) convenient.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hmmmm .... front electrical pannel could be the one up under the power recliners. It also could be the one under the sink ... or the one under the dinette seat .... or the main one by the fuse panel ....

(yes, that's going by the layout of a 2017 not a 2018)

Best guess, it's the one by the breakers. The whole front / rear thing is to differentiate it from the Firefly control stuff that is just a bit further back in the trailer.

If it's not at the battery - does it disconnect the inverter? That seems to be one of the things normally pointed to as a parasitic load.

Lots of fun.

Bob
Old 06-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sitting here reading through the 2017 Classic manual .... it also references a "manual battery shutoff wheel". After crawling through every wiring space in the 2017 over the last year .... there ain't one in the trailer

Bob