Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
LP Monitor 2018 Classic

It’s been a few days now and we have been running the Alde heat/water on LP during the mornings and evenings. The LP monitor is showing little to no change - holding around 96%.

Other than removing the tanks and getting a sense of the weight, anything else I should be checking? First AS with propane tank monitors.

Thanks.

Chuck
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
It’s been a few days now and we have been running the Alde heat/water on LP during the mornings and evenings. The LP monitor is showing little to no change - holding around 96%.

Other than removing the tanks and getting a sense of the weight, anything else I should be checking? First AS with propane tank monitors.

Thanks.

Chuck

Your FireFly has or should have two propane tank monitors on it.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Your FireFly has or should have two propane tank monitors on it.

Re-read your post, we found in two winters that we just don’t use much propane, not even close to our previous forced hot air systems
Old 04-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Thanks. Will keep a close eye out on them.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
We've used ours for about 250 nights in 18 months, much in cooler sometimes cold weather. Burned up one and half tanks. Most of our stays are full hook-ups, but we do keep the Alde running and refrigerator on while traveling and I keep the heat at 70 while moving.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Just as a point of reference for you, I have a ‘17 Classic. I have owned it for about 18 months now. In that time frame I have used 1 full tank of LP and about half a tank in the other. First 5 months I was full-timing in winter albeit in Florida and Georgia so not extremely cold temps for extended period but it’s just a starting point for you.
However, on a recent trip north where is was very cold and I kept the heat on all the time even while towing I did use 70% of one full tank on a 13 day trip but was also full hookups every night..

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Bud and Lauri,

Thanks for the great information on the efficiency of the Alde system using propane. Guess I am used to the propane consumption of our previous AS International’s furnace.

Really enjoying the Alde system and the new Classic so far!

Chuck
Old 04-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
One last point on this one-I learned at the factory when we were in there several weeks ago and our LP readouts where not working that the tanks themselves act as the ground for the monitors. Therefore, our technician doing the work on our unit told me to really crank the handle hard to make sure the tanks ground on the bottom of the support plate.

I thought I had them very tight, he got to where I had the lever and turned it a full half turn more. They now work fine,.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I don’t know how big your tanks are, but frankly that is totally unrealistic. We just got back on a trip and it that time frame of 10 days with below freezing weather we used 3 LP tanks (30lbs). We have a 28’ and kept it at 68 in the cabin during day and 65 at night. You either have extremely efficient furnaces or your running your heat pumps.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Daquenzer we have 40# tanks and you have no idea what you are questioning.

We do not have a furnace - you are in the Classic forums, and from 2017 on there are no furnaces, there are boilers. MUCH different and in our 45 years of RVing, including a Newmar Bus, the best most efficient system we've ever had.

We keep it at 72f during the day, 70f at night and never been more comfortable. Much either at or below freezing outside temperature.

Your system is just about as inefficient as it can get and our past systems were as well. A hot air system in an RV will burn thru propane exactly as you mentioned, been there done that.

We also travel with the heat on, set to 70f, which then only uses propane and again very little. Once the boiler gets up to temperature it's extremely efficient at maintaining that temperature while en-route or stationary using very little propane.

We have never used a heat pump, except one time to see what it was like, did not like it, so they are only used for AC.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
daquenzer we have 40# tanks and you have no idea what you are questioning.

We do not have a furnace - you are in the classic forums, and from 2017 on there are no furnaces, there are boilers. Much different and in our 45 years of rving, including a newmar bus, the best most efficient system we've ever had.

We keep it at 72f during the day, 70f at night and never been more comfortable. Much either at or below freezing outside temperature.

Your system is just about as inefficient as it can get and our past systems were as well. A hot air system in an rv will burn thru propane exactly as you mentioned, been there done that.

We also travel with the heat on, set to 70f, which then only uses propane and again very little. Once the boiler gets up to temperature it's extremely efficient at maintaining that temperature while en-route or stationary using very little propane.

We have never used a heat pump, except one time to see what it was like, did not like it, so they are only used for ac.
excuse me....
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
2018 Classic Propane Usage in Pac NW

We have used about 1 tank per month with 35-45 degree weather here in the Seattle area. The firefly display and the tank-mounted gauges correlate. The tank gauges are mechanical and do work, although they are not terribly accurate, they will tell you if the tank is going down. Also, the auto-crossover valve will switch tanks when the active one is empty. Firefly has not worked reliably on one tank and Airstream Adventures NW have swapped out the PMM, upgraded firmware to 3.6, and are now futzing around with the aft AC controller. LP2 still shows Disc. Hope this G2 helps.
Bothell, WA
WBCCI 03495
JimskyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Jim,

Thanks for the info. We just picked our new Classic up in Covington at Airstream Adventures. Kevin, the tech, did a really good job setting up our Alde system.

Chuck
Old 04-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I apologize to Daquenzer for my response. This is not my favorite time of year as I was told that I need to write my fifth check to the IRS for tax year 2017, after discussions today with attorney and CPA. So, my rant was not personal and inappropriate, I will stay off until I write the check on the 17th.

Be Well
Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 AM   #15
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
That jab was directed at me you have nothing to apologize for, you’re covering a friends 6. Thanks. I do get sick of guys either assuming I don’t know what I am talking about or flat out calling me a liar. Happens constantly. (rolling my eye). I don’t know everything about my Classic but I know more than most.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #16
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Last year when down in the teens, and not using the electric heaters, I noticed about 5% usage each night. And the discharge vent drips, so, check your vent under the dinette to ensure it doesn't have a low spot to collect water and "rumble". Also rumbles at higher altitudes due to gas air mix.

Taxes and dismissive readers; tough times to Be Happy, don't worry. 😁
Old 04-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #17
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
James, ok, I plead ignorance and I do learn something new about the Alde often ..discharge drip vent under dinette? I’m guessing you are not referring to the pressure relief valve. I will go under the dinette again to look but I don’t recall a drip vent. If you say it’s there I totally believe you, I just don’t know what to look for. I keep hoping I will not find myself is very cold weather very often so I only have to use the heat modestly. Is the drip vent something I need to watch carefully? How much dripping is normal? When does this happen, why, etc. By now you know I ask a lot of questions when I don’t understand. Is the drip from condensation? What is dripping?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #18
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
So sorry to be assuming you've read every thread and conversation I've participated in; I think the social media syndrome name for that is, "Awl-ous about-Me-ous".

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=2077498 started or continued a discussion about Alde rumbling at higher altitudes due to gas and air mixture. I can't find all the posts I remember. Someone had a service guy figure out the combined intake/ exhaust duct for the alde can collect condensation if routed to the shell with a dip, perhaps adding to the rumble problem in cold weather. I had chimed in with an observation from a cold month in the teens Nov 16 that the dripping exhaust from the fitting on the exterior had formed a frozen stalagtite on the ground. When it's real cold and dry, the propane exhaust moisture is more visible outside, and when running a lot, condensation may collect in the exhaust duct inside.

No dumb questions; learning builds brains, not sure what reading all this did, though. 🤪
Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #19
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178240

This was the thread.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #20
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Got it. High altitude and very cold. 2 situation I hope to never be in. I do recall the vibration discussion at altitude above 8,000. Didn’t know or even think about additional condensation in those environments. Thanks. Stored for reference.