Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
2020 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Driftwood , Arkansas
Low water pressure in shower

In our new 33FB there seems to be some sort of water restriction. Pressure at the camping site and at home is quite sufficient, however inside seems substantially lower. Most notably in the shower.

I’ve tried using the on board pump to assist and this make almost no difference. Sometimes the onboard pump cycles on and off but no pressure increase. I have followed the threads regarding bleeding the air from the system including the outdoor shower to no avail.

Is there some way to adjust the pressure once the water enters the trailer? I remember reading that the airstream has a built in regulator but would like to know if it is adjustable.

My intuition is there is debris in the system due to assembly of all the components involved. I also suspect all the valves in the Alde heating system my have a part in my issue.

Thank you in advance for all the great information this forum provides.

Turk123 my WiFi works great thank you.
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Unscrew shower head and check for any difference. AND back flush it on case there is any debris in it.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The regulator is integrated with the shurflo city water inlet and the regulator is set to 65 psi max. You can get a water pressure gauge assembly same threads as the shower wand and test the pressure. A male / female tee set up will allow you to test it flowing and not flowing. I can estimate pipe loss for you if you need that info and can't find it online. The water pumps are 3 gpm so I'd go with that as a desired flow rate estimate.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
If you have pressure at your lav sink and galley sink, then the problem is with the shower. If it is the shower, one repeating Airstream problem is the Moen cartridge in the faucet. Airstream uses the cheap plastic version which breaks and can be the cause. If you do not find anything else, you may want to replace it with the brass version. Check the other stuff first, debris is certainly a possibility.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I bet the shower head has tiny gravels or grit where it screws on.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Also check the shower line connections to see if there are any screens that could be clogged.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
Mike & Erin

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Bel Air , Maryland
It's the entire AS, it just manifests itself in the shower more due to the restriction to conserve water.

We've had this problem and corrected it easily. It was lime flakes & chlorine beads clogging the strainer screen on the blend valve immediately off the water heater. Airstream sent us a new blend valve but when we replaced it, it immediately clogged again.

We assumed there was a lot of debris in the lines so we flushed the hot water tank. We used a high pressure nozzle on our garden hose. Camping World sells a nozzle with a long probe that's easier to get up inside the water heater for less than $5.00. If you have ever replaced a hot water heater in your house, you can see what chlorine and lime will do over time under high temperatures.

After hosing out the water heater tank, removing the blend valve and just blowing out the screen strainer with canned compressed air took care of the problem! We now have plenty of pressure everywhere in the AS!

From now on, even though we drain our water heater when we winterize
and flush it out, we flush the hot water heater again in the spring. In addition we carry all the tools needed to be able to field strip & clean the blend valve even when boon docking.
It was interesting to see how much sawdust was behind the front lounge seat panel when we were replacing the blend valve. I'm wondering if saw dust also gets into the fresh water tank during manufacturing and may add to the initial contamination.
SetterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Zephyr , Texas
Check that the valve at the shower head is switched to on.
Zephyr291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yeah, there have been a lot of reports of mixing valve clogging, but he needs to confirm that the other hot water locations are also affected. If the cold at the shower is "clogged", too, then it should not be a mixing valve problem. Debris is still most likely and easiest to deal with at the shower head.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
My FC25 had this problem from city water, but not from the pump. In my case I fixed it be replacing the city water inlet/regulator. This was the one on my trailer. It's easy to do.

This may not be your problem, though, if the same thing happens on the pump.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Ground , Washington
Low water pressure

The later models include a built in water pressure gauge so if you are also using an external water pressure restrict or, you’re getting a double reduction!
Deserthiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The hot water heater is definitely the source of low to no flow in my bathroom faucet. It does it every 2 years so I remove the screen and aerator at the end of the faucet each year to clean them out and then hose out the water with the high pressure water probe. I drain the tank and then place the screen and aerator back on the sink faucet.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Since the OP said it’s happening at all the faucets then there’s likely a blockage at the mixing valve on the hot water heater. I just had a problem with mine: plenty of hot water in the tank but the water at the faucets was Luke warm. A couple sharp raps on the mixing valve with a screwdriver handle and all good. A bit Neanderthal but it worked and is still working several weeks later.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #14
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I've noticed that water flow in the shower can be a bit weak when attached to city water supplies, but works fine when using the water pump. If that's the only place where flow is an issue, try turning on the pump when showering. Note that this will use some water from your fresh tank, so don't forget to top it off as needed.

However, if running the pump doesn't improve things, then it could be debris in the shower head.

One tip to prevent grit and debris from clogging up shower heads and faucets is to use an external water filter. I use one from Camco that attaches to the hose. It helps to improve water taste as well.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote