Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Killen , Alabama
Looking for a Classic - which year model

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new member of this forum and I've decided that I need some wisdom from those of you who are more experienced. I've really enjoyed learning from this forum and the collective wisdom that this group provides.

This may have been discussed on another forum, but I have not been able to find it. I've decided that I'd like to purchase a Classic; the question is which model year?

I'm thinking that I'd like to stick to a later model year (2010 - 2018). My question is what year did Airstream start making some of the "improvements" that I'd like to have? Also, what items do you feel are "important" enough to warrant upgrading to a certain year model?

From reading this forum, I have some options that I "think" I'd like to have.

Some of those options/upgrades are:
1. 30' length
2. power stabilizer jacks
3. The Alde system - what year did Airstream first start using it
4. The Czone system - same question - what year was it introduced and is it worth purchasing a later model year to get it
5. Power awning system
6. I've read about the internet/wifi problems that the later model Airstreams have had. Up till this point, my DW and I have used the "Personal Hotspot" function on our iPhone for our internet connection. It it worth getting a late model year to get that option? I'm not tech savvy

Thanks in advance for any advice/help that you can offer. Looking forward to hearing this group's collective wisdom on what I should be looking for.

maddog11capt
Maddog11capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Power awnings standard in 2016 I believe.

Alde first year was 2017. Firefly system is in 2017 and 2018.

2019 is czone and all the fancy internet and WiFi stuff standard as well as solar standard

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Power awnings standard in 2016 I believe.

Alde first year was 2017. Firefly system is in 2017 and 2018.

2019 is czone and all the fancy internet and WiFi stuff standard as well as solar standard

I’m in a 2018. Completely happy with it. All the fancy WiFi stuff requires another internet subscription. I just tether my phone to anything that needs WiFi. I would only upgrade to a 33’ but I wouldn’t trade my 18 in for a 19. Love the Alde system! Airstream always needs a year or two to work out bugs on new systems, so keep that in mind. Czone being new will have bugs just life firefly.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I hope you are at least handy, if not tech savvy.

The newer the model, the worst the tech gets, the bigger the bill to fix it when it breaks. You have a lot of reading to do to understand all these new systems if you want to fix it yourself. Trust me, you want to fix these things yourself; or learn to modify them to stop them breaking down.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
We are sitting in our 2019 30' Classic as I type this. There is a learning curve with all the tech but we couldn't be happier!
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I love my current Flying Cloud, but, if I had to do it again, I would search for a Classic Limited 30. With those solid wood cabinets, I think they are the most
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog11capt View Post
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new member of this forum and I've decided that I need some wisdom from those of you who are more experienced. I've really enjoyed learning from this forum and the collective wisdom that this group provides.

This may have been discussed on another forum, but I have not been able to find it. I've decided that I'd like to purchase a Classic; the question is which model year?

I'm thinking that I'd like to stick to a later model year (2010 - 2018). My question is what year did Airstream start making some of the "improvements" that I'd like to have? Also, what items do you feel are "important" enough to warrant upgrading to a certain year model?

From reading this forum, I have some options that I "think" I'd like to have.

Some of those options/upgrades are:
1. 30' length
2. power stabilizer jacks
3. The Alde system - what year did Airstream first start using it
4. The Czone system - same question - what year was it introduced and is it worth purchasing a later model year to get it
5. Power awning system
6. I've read about the internet/wifi problems that the later model Airstreams have had. Up till this point, my DW and I have used the "Personal Hotspot" function on our iPhone for our internet connection. It it worth getting a late model year to get that option? I'm not tech savvy

Thanks in advance for any advice/help that you can offer. Looking forward to hearing this group's collective wisdom on what I should be looking for.

maddog11capt
You have described a 2018 or 2019. As the proud owner of a new 2019, check your wallet at the door.

I would suggest a question back to you might be what is your budget?

Much of what you list can be post-added to an older model. Upgrading really allows you to customize the trailer to your needs, not the lowest common denominator market needs.

The many comments about the trials and tribulations of the newer technologies are all true. If you really want all the bells and whistles, buy a new 2019 from a quality dealer. There are a few and it is worth traveling a bit to buy from one of them.

Else I would pick an interior layout you like in a used model and begin what I call the "Travel Trailer Tango". Travel, upgrade, try it out, travel some more, and upgrade again."
Old 02-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Classic trailer

Maddog11capt, we have owned three Classic 30' Airstreams. Our last one is a 2014, last year they had all the nice furniture in front and floor. In 2015 they deleted the front tables and couch for lounge chairs, the two cabinets over the galley. We do not like the new floors they started with in 2015. The other things you want will all be in newer than 2015 units. We are on our 8th Airstream. Good luck in finding your dream "Stream".
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo Family View Post
Maddog11capt, we have owned three Classic 30' Airstreams. Our last one is a 2014, last year they had all the nice furniture in front and floor. In 2015 they deleted the front tables and couch for lounge chairs, the two cabinets over the galley. We do not like the new floors they started with in 2015. The other things you want will all be in newer than 2015 units. We are on our 8th Airstream. Good luck in finding your dream "Stream".
Some of the older units did not have ducted heating and cooling. Some of the older units did not have the eco insulation or belly insulation. If you get new, you get a warranty. What we found is that the younger units were still pretty expensive and didn't have a warranty. We have a 2018 with the forever warranty offered by our dealer + one year of factory warranty. Newer units come with a three-warranty and it takes a couple of years to shake out warranty repair items; so, recommend some long trips in those years to find the kinks. We have had a shower drain issue, a cracked shower stall fiberglass issue, a failed Atwood tongue jack, windows that don't prop open; and some learning curve issues with the Alde system. One of the wags in our AS club says, "They're cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and leak."That being said, they are iconic, keep their re-sale value, and according to the dealer, with all their faults, are the best RV out there. And 70% of them ever made are still on the road, the other 30% are abandoned in fields, barns, or being used for parts.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I completely disagree with a few of the posts that say the newer models (2017 - current) are difficult to own. I have a 2017 Classic. It has the Alde but no CZone. I’m happy with my decision and don’t want any other model at least not yet. I’m warm in the winter and cool in the summer. However, since you are new to Airstreams I would strongly recommend you go sit in as many models as you can possibly find. Looking at photos or floor plans should not replace actually sitting inside and figuring out if you have enough space or storage or a workable space for you. Personally I think the 33 footer is a dreadful floor plan but obviously it is selling so ....find a dealer and go check them out and keep reading the forum. The more you know and understand ahead of time the happier you will be when you finally make your choice.
The Alde first rolled out in 2017, Czone came out in 2019. I’m sure they are working on cool upgrades for the 2020.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Killen , Alabama
Thanks everyone for the tips/advice. Much appreciated.

I mentioned that I'm not tech savvy; I can program basic things, heck I just upgraded my MacBook Pro with more memory. But when it comes to router settings, I may need help.

Isuzusweet, I am handy with tools. I'm coming from a 40' Class A motorhome and as you wisely stated, one needs to be able to fix things or the RV becomes VERY expensive.

Acheron2010 and Froglips, I hear what you're saying regarding looking for the older Classic and upgrading it to our preferences. Hadn't considered that.

Vagabonds_2, mind if I ask what dealer was wiling to provide the "forever" warranty? Is that common?

And this may be found in other forums, but I keep hearing this group say "go find a reputable dealer." Being in North Alabama, is there such a dealer near us? Again, forgive me if this has already been discussed on a previous forum but I'd sure like to hear the wisdom of this group that has "been there, done that."

And again, thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice. I sure appreciate it!

maddog
Maddog11capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2018 Atlas
Floyd , Virginia
Question about spare tire carrier

Can I remove the spare tire that is mounted under the front in its carrier, and put the spare in my truck, my question is will the spare tire carrier go back up tight against the frame with out the spare in it, Do not want it falling off going down the road! I have room in the truck for the spare, and it would be much easier to get to! Labalope
labalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by labalope View Post
Can I remove the spare tire that is mounted under the front in its carrier, and put the spare in my truck, my question is will the spare tire carrier go back up tight against the frame with out the spare in it, Do not want it falling off going down the road! I have room in the truck for the spare, and it would be much easier to get to! Labalope
Yes

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2018 Atlas
Floyd , Virginia
We own a 2016 Classic, love it ,ducted air, is great, solar panels are worth every penny, replaced jack with a 5000lb one. shore power plug in the front makes easy hook up to Gen in back of truck. We had to replace the module in the fridge, thats all. I think any Classic is a great choice, Labalope
labalope is offline   Reply With Quote