Old 04-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Inaugural outing issues - furnace and galley faucet

This weekend we took our 2016 Classic out and overall things went fairly well with the exception of a furnace issue and a problem with the galley faucet.

Furnace:
Once we got set up we turned not the furnace as it was cold here in Indiana this weekend. It ran for about an hour with the fan on auto and switched off when it hit the desired temperature. When it came back on only cold air came out of the furnace. We turned it off and on but always cold came out. A little internet research makes us think it is the sail switch. We aren't quite sure how to fix it and will probably take it back to be serviced.

Heat Pump:
Not to worry, we had the heat pump and it did a perfectly fine job until the temperature dropped below 32 degrees. Fortunately, we also brought along a little electric heater that took some of the edge off until it warmed up a bit outside.

Furnace and heat pump seem loud:
We were somewhat surprised that both the furnace and heat pump seemed much louder than we expected based on what we've heard in a pop-up camper and motorhome. I realize this is subjective but do any of you consider your heating appliances to be quiet/loud?

Kohler K597 - VS faucet:
The other problem we had was hot water would not come out of the galley faucet. My husband checked the lines and determined that hot water was getting to the faucet but the mixer must be faulty. He took it apart but still could not get it to work. We will be taking it in for repair.

The good news is we still had a good time. We slept well. The oven, microwave, stove, and refrigerator worked well. The shower and lavatory sinks put out HOT water. We found the furniture to be comfortable, and are looking forward to getting things repaired/replaced and out on the road again!

Susan

Indianapolis, IN
SusanFleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
You have the right attitude. Have the dealer fix the furnace and Kohler issues and get back to having fun!

The AC/Heat pump seems much quieter in our ducted Classic compared to our prior non-ducted FC. The furnace blower noise seems about the same - loud. However, by the time we need the furnace, the nice warm air seems to make me forget about the noise �� With no other prior SOB to compare to, we don't think about it any more.

The heat pump losing effectiveness much below 40F or so is normal operation - time to switch to the furnace when it gets that cold.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
In our 2006 the A/C and heat pump are deafening. We've learned to sleep through the noise but the best bet is a small electric heater; much quieter.

The furnace is better, learned to sleep through that noise too. I'm one of those people that can adjust to that kind of noise but will awaken to any new noise, even if it's barely noticeable. My wife sleeps the sleep of the dead. Once she's out nothing will wake her short of shaking.

On the water, do you have hot water at the vanity faucet? If not, have you checked the bypass on the water heater? For storage, the bypass valves are set to prevent water going to the water heater and the water heater is drained. If you have hot water elsewhere then there's something wrong with the valve on the kitchen faucet.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

2016 30' Classic
indianapolis , Indiana
Dear phann and richw46,

Thank you both for your replies. We probably won't be going back to the dealer but to JC. My husband is pretty good with mechanical and plumbing issues and had eliminated most everything so he called explaining the service center at the dealer and found the tech pretty dismissive. We haven't had the best experiences with them so JC is a bit closer and we will go there. Unless we have to take it to the dealer. Any thoughts there.

Richw46 we have hot water everywhere including the hose up to the galley sink. So that's how we know it is a faucet issue.

Thanks, too, for your thoughts on heat pump/ furnace noise level. We will get used to it.

Again, thanks for your help!

Susan
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

It sounds like you guys did pretty well, all considered. Your problems will be easy fixes when you get to Jackson Center. We have been to the Service Center four times with two different Airstreams. They do a great job and are easy to work with. They bring you into the shop area and explain what they are doing and how they are doing it. You are fortunate to live fairly close to JC.

As far as the sound level of the air conditioner/heat pump and the furnace, the ducted system is about as good as it gets. We had two earlier Airstreams with the ceiling units. These are considerably louder that the ducted units. Our 2012 23FB was so loud that the television did not have enough volume to be heard over the air conditioner.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
On our 2015 we had similar issues with the furnace - techs at our AS dealer virtually replaced every part on the furnace as well as the propane regulator on the tanks. Everything that is except the sail switch. The problem we had was the propane regulator in the furnace, at least we think that is what it was as the furnace has worked since that was replaced. We have not gone out, but periodically I go to the storage facility and run the furnace for until it reaches temp, push the thermostat up a few degrees and it comes on. BUT before we go west I am buying a sail switch to carry with us.

The heat pumps are louder in our ducted 30' FC than the A/C units are. Same unit but the HP makes more noise.

Good luck

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
A heat pump is just the air conditioners running in reverse cycle. They are not separate components.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks to Zybane, paiceman, and moosetags for your comments. We have an appointment set up with the folks at JC and are looking forward to more outings.

Safe and happy travels!

Susan
Indianapolis, IN
Old 04-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You already know an electric space heater is quieter than the furnace or heat pump. We got a Dyson Hot because it regulates and distributes the heated air nicely and is quiet, good to about 32 degrees then we supplement it with the furnace as needed.

When without hookups, the furnace does a great job but is not quiet. An extra blanket is though.

I see Woot! has the Dyson on sale this morning $169.99 factory reconditioned.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I also had an issue with my Kohler faucet. There's a small valve just inside each mounting -- where the hose tubes attach to the trailer. One of these valves was stuck (hot water side). I pushed it with a small screwdriver and broke it loose. This is a Kohler manufacturing defect, but A/S should have caught it. (I had cold water but no hot....and the valve that wasn't functioning was ONLY on the HW side.) Took 10 minutes for me to fix, though getting to where the faucet line fastens to the trailer HW line requires some contortions.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Dyson heater

dkottum that looks like a great product. What model do you have and does it heat the living/kitchen area well? I would not expect/need it to heat the entire AS at the same time.

Thanks for your help!

Susan
Indianapolis, IN
Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks Bab

Thanks Bab. We are going to go back out and take a look. We did not know about this or look. Might be just the solution. Thanks so much!

Susan
Indianapolis, IN
Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
We were having problems with the furnace heat on our first trip, a 6 week journey. We also noticed that the auto switchover to propane on the fridge was not working consistently when moving from place to place. Doesn't sound like the same thing, but in our case we had the recall of the propane tank regulator. Got that switched out enroute (Tucson) and all was well for the rest of the trip.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Caseywsj thank you for the heads up on the autoswitch recall. David will have that checked, too, when he visits JC in early May. We are making a list!

Other than that, how do you like you 2016 Classic? I hope everything is going well for you.

Thank you for your help!

Susan

Indianapolis, IN