Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I wonder how much having all the shades closed and the vent plug in helps.

Then again, if you are actively living it it you don't want all the shades closed during the day. At least I don't!
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Today we installed a couple pieced-together sunshades made out of black plastic stick-on baby sunshade mesh in both skylights.

Wow!

What a difference.

We're in Albuquerque NM this week, and it's been pretty sunny. This afternoon was the first time ever the AS has achieved 75F on Zone 2 (usually it only gets to 77 when set to 75. It actually shut off from time to time.

Amazing.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Last week, mid 90's out in the sun, no awnings, all the shades down. Absolutely no way to get below 80 in the trailer on one AC unit (30A hookup). Humidity was high enough that the drain on the AC was almost a continuous flow. Turning humidity into liquid water takes energy.....( humidity counts right along with temperature).

Same temps, same humidity, some shade, 50A hookup, both units running ... no problem hitting as cold as we could stand (roughly 72 degrees) before we turned it all back up again. The trailer went from "darn hot" to nice and cool in under 2 hours after we hooked up.

Very impressive.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Shade makes a massive difference. Out in the full sun with all awnings deployed on a 95 degree day my two AC units can barely keep the trailer under 80 degrees (shades up as I am inside). I've noticed the three front windows that don't have an awning (but the second protective tinted plexi windows installed) let in a massive amount of energy.

In full shade on a 95 degree day one AC can keep it low 70's.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing we were ready to do on the 30A hookup was to rig a cover for the Fantastic Fan. The sun in there was pretty major. The other thing we observed was that the "full shades" did a better job than the light weight ones. Even the light weight ones were a big improvement over no shades. One survival mode approach was to shut down all the vents in one end of the trailer and only try to cool the other end. Not very efficient and only worth a couple degrees. The biggest comfort improvement was picking up a $10 fan at Target.

Bob
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing we were ready to do on the 30A hookup was to rig a cover for the Fantastic Fan. The sun in there was pretty major. The other thing we observed was that the "full shades" did a better job than the light weight ones. Even the light weight ones were a big improvement over no shades. One survival mode approach was to shut down all the vents in one end of the trailer and only try to cool the other end. Not very efficient and only worth a couple degrees. The biggest comfort improvement was picking up a $10 fan at Target.

Bob
For our 30' Classic, I cut pieces of 2" Styrofoam insulation pieces to fit the two skylights and also the fantastic fan openings. Sealed the cut edges with duct tape. It makes a huge difference . I strongly recommend it. Cut it for a tight fit so it stays in place while you are rolling.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
For our 30' Classic, I cut pieces of 2" Styrofoam insulation pieces to fit the two skylights and also the fantastic fan openings. Sealed the cut edges with duct tape. It makes a huge difference . I strongly recommend it. Cut it for a tight fit so it stays in place while you are rolling.
Hi

That's sort of what I was thinking about. Glad to hear that it works !!

Right now it's *maybe* 85 outside. The dual AC's aren't struggling much at all today.

Bob
Old 06-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Don't forget that with the newer ducted air alot of cooling gets lost in the ducting itself. It's not as efficient a system as the old way of just slabbing a unit on the roof and blowing every bit of cool air out of a couple of direct unobstructed simple outlets.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The basic setup on just about any RV is pretty much a disaster heat loss / heat gain wise (depending on season). The AS is no exception to this rule Indeed the ducts are a bit of a tradeoff. Based on what I've seen so far ... I'll accept the tradeoff.

Bob
Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #50

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Speaking of 'auto', is anyone else seeing where this means 'turn fan on with compressor, but only at low speed'?
On my 2004 Classic when we set on Auto the unit starts up on low speed if the difference between the set point of the thermostat and actual temperature in the trailer is 5 degrees or less. If it is more than 5 degrees, the unit starts up on high speed. Typically we only see high speed being run when we are just getting hooked up and the inside of the trailer is really hot. Once we get below that 5 degree threshold, we notice the fan motor on the A/C unit drops from high to low speed.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Indeed the ducts are a bit of a tradeoff. Based on what I've seen so far ... I'll accept the tradeoff.

Bob
Since the new ducted units are not capable of cooling adequately and the sole purpose of an air conditioner is to cool the air, it seems odd that you'd accept such a tradeoff.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
When we bought our International CD 28 my first mod was to add the dark Fantastic fan covers, and replace the factory skylights with Maxims. This has made a huge difference in keeping the sun at bay. With a single Dometic 15000 BTU we stay cool...even in our Florida Summers. The fan covers also keep it darker in the bedroom for sleeping in occasionally.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Since the new ducted units are not capable of cooling adequately and the sole purpose of an air conditioner is to cool the air, it seems odd that you'd accept such a tradeoff.
Hi

The AC's do a super job of cooling my trailer when they both are running. The ducts do a much better job of directing the air where it needs to go. I'm happy.

Bob
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Hi

The AC's do a super job of cooling my trailer when they both are running. The ducts do a much better job of directing the air where it needs to go. I'm happy.

Bob

Ditto for me.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
We just went from a 2013 30' non ducted to a 2017 30' ducted and I see no difference in the cooling, both dual AC trailers. If anything the ducted seems to work better due to the placement of the vents.
And when it comes to the noise level there is no comparison. I would not want to go back to the wide open set up, no way.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #56
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
When we bought our International CD 28 my first mod was to add the dark Fantastic fan covers, and replace the factory skylights with Maxims. This has made a huge difference in keeping the sun at bay. With a single Dometic 15000 BTU we stay cool...even in our Florida Summers. The fan covers also keep it darker in the bedroom for sleeping in occasionally.
When you switched out your skylights which one did you choose? I went to the Maxim website and I see several options, bronze, light gray, dark gray, 3 different whites and clear. I love the skylights but if the Maxims are better at reducing incoming heat I would consider replacing my current ones. Thanks. Lauri

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
When you switched out your skylights which one did you choose? I went to the Maxim website and I see several options, bronze, light gray, dark gray, 3 different whites and clear. I love the skylights but if the Maxims are better at reducing incoming heat I would consider replacing my current ones. Thanks. Lauri

Laurie,

We chose the opaque white. It has virtually the same heat reduction as the dark one, but actually magnifies the light. You would swear all our lights are on when you walk in the trailer. Closing the shade at night is critical if one wants to sleep after sun up.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Our Classic has black(ish) skylight "blockers". They do work. It's interesting as you walk under them, you can feel the heat radiating off the bottom side. I suspect that if I was freaking out about cooling, I'd probably put a sheet of aluminum foil above them.

Bob
Old 06-23-2017, 03:04 AM   #59
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Uncle Bob, I think we have the same model. I do use the shades and I like them just fine but I am thinking maybe a darker skylight with better heat blocking might be something I want. I already have to pull the shade if I want to sleep past sunrise so darker would be better for me. I do not have the darker cover over the vent and could really use one there. Just a thought.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I've considered replacing our skylights with the Maxim ones but not for heat but for Hail protection. We've experienced hail and although our stock units held up my concern is they will break and then it will be a total pain in a storm getting up on top, putting a cover on and so forth. The Maxims will provide a great degree of protection.

Sitting in direct sun this past week, 89 degrees both ACs running our trailer was a very comfortable 75 degrees which is what we set them both for.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote