Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Hoping for trouble free Classic

We received confirmation today that our 2018 30' Classic Twin is scheduled to be built in November and at the dealer just after Thanksgiving. This is our second AS so the learning curve shouldn't be quite as steep although the Classic has some features that are unique. I've been following the posts regarding Alde and Firefly with some trepidation but it sounds like most people are getting the issues sorted out so that's encouraging. Hopefully the factory is getting on top of things too as production progresses. Besides, if there were no challenges to ownership what would be the fun of that?

Anyway, ours will have the chestnut seating with light countertops. We went back and forth for weeks on the cabinets but finally settled on Maple. We're both pretty excited to get our hands on the trailer!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Congrats on the new purchase and you have time to drop off some Coosa board for your subfloor, and never have to worry about leaks.........ever! It will pay for itself if you sell your Airstream with an impervious sub floor.

http://www.coosacomposites.com

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!

Nothing we have seen on our Classic has kept us from camping out in it. Minor this and that, sure. Nothing that has canceled a trip.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Hi

Congratulations and welcome. We love the lighter maple in our 2017 Twin. Our unit runs like a champ, minor issues only, all handled thru email or phone with Jackson Center, even some simple questions responded to with professionalism and taken care of.

The day prior to your intended pick up my suggestion is have the dealership turn on the Alde system and have it run overnight. Then when you do the walk thru, have them go over every detail of the system and in the bathroom, over the toilet there is a cabinet, open it and on the left side is the Alde fluid storage container, check this area for volume, it should be half way between min and max or up to max if the system is actually running. I would further then suggest you have them turn the system off, and have them bleed all the bleed points outlined in the All About Alde section of this Classic area. Once done you'll know how to do it and the system aside from some settings again contained in here you should be good to go.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Trouble free

we have 2018 33 classic with the maple wood and love it
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Congrats on the new purchase and you have time to drop off some Coosa board for your subfloor, and never have to worry about leaks.........ever! It will pay for itself if you sell your Airstream with an impervious sub floor.

http://www.coosacomposites.com

Cheers

Tony

Tony, I love the idea of the never rot subfloor.
I wonder if Airstream might offer it is a factory installed upgrade?
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Ditto what Bud said. Also, make sure you turn your inverter on while you are standing there. I know of one Classic were the inverter never worked, but just one. Be sure you understand how to control the AC without the help of the a Firefly, this goes for the Alde system as well. Just in case.
If the dealer has really done their job in setting it up completely and correctly you should have no issues st all.
I have had my 17 Classic for 10 months and last week really put her through her paces and she performed perfectly. As they say in the horse world, I "rode her hard and put her up wet". Previously I had really babied her, but with the storm (that turned out to be nothing in Titusville) I didn't have time to play nice. I threw everything I owned inside, all the important papers and documents, etc and headed north. Man, I was so happy to have her. She did great. Solar panels kept me up and running long after everyone lost power. Alde kept me warm. No leaks, no dents, no issues at all. Nothing fell off, or flew off and nothing hit us. Luck!
Really just could not be happier. By far, this is the best thing I have ever done. Perfect TT, perfect TV, and perfect hitch. TMPS worked great (maiden trip).
I sincerely hope you enjoy your new Classic as much as I have enjoyed mine and get to bypass those first few months glitches that many of us went through.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Ditto what Bud said. Also, make sure you turn your inverter on while you are standing there. I know of one Classic were the inverter never worked, but just one. Be sure you understand how to control the AC without the help of the a Firefly, this goes for the Alde system as well. Just in case.
If the dealer has really done their job in setting it up completely and correctly you should have no issues st all.
I have had my 17 Classic for 10 months and last week really put her through her paces and she performed perfectly. As they say in the horse world, I "rode her hard and put her up wet". Previously I had really babied her, but with the storm (that turned out to be nothing in Titusville) I didn't have time to play nice. I threw everything I owned inside, all the important papers and documents, etc and headed north. Man, I was so happy to have her. She did great. Solar panels kept me up and running long after everyone lost power. Alde kept me warm. No leaks, no dents, no issues at all. Nothing fell off, or flew off and nothing hit us. Luck!
Really just could not be happier. By far, this is the best thing I have ever done. Perfect TT, perfect TV, and perfect hitch. TMPS worked great (maiden trip).
I sincerely hope you enjoy your new Classic as much as I have enjoyed mine and get to bypass those first few months glitches that many of us went through.
Great, but I remember a slightly different tone in the conversation we had back in December of 2016 or maybe January 2017. Could not be happier it has worked out, you should be proud of what you have and are doing.

Hope to see you around the first of January on our way further south.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
Classy Roscoe

Mikeinca,

How exciting! A 2018 Classic Twin 30'. As I write this, I am sitting in South Fork, Colorado at about 8,700 feet in a 2017 Classic Twin 30', with very close the same appointments.

If I would have been asked how I like our new Classic, I would not have been very positive. However, after some discussions with the dealer and JCO, we are very pleased with "Roscoe".

Airstream really stepped up! The folks at the dealer service department were able to talk us thru the Alde issue with hot water.

Later down the road the failure of heating was low gylcol level, simply cured. The fill level is hard to see behind the access panel but is easy enough to fill. If you over fill, once heated, the system will expel the overage thru a bleed pipe between the port side tires. Not an issue.

Alde recommends that this level be checked annually. So get you a bottle of propylene glycol, Part #7010002 and keep it on board. WWW.alde.us. Had to add 1 1/2 bottles three days ago. Nice and cozy now! Bleeding the air out of the system was not that dillicult.

Please take the time to make sure the dealer has 50 amp service and demand that both Dometic heat pumps are allowed to run for 24 hours on both heat and cold. If one is going to die it will be in that period of time.

Crank up the gas appliances. They are a bit stubborn the first time out.

Take a shower. I am not being funny here. Make sure you have HOT water to your liking. The shower head has an anti-scald feature on the handle and may be mis-adjusted. Also, the Alde hot water side is "European adjusted", meaning it is set to tepid water temp not hot shower water temp. Simple control under dinette seat facing aft. The adjustment knob stop point is set where you can't increase the temp above tepid with out taking this knob off and rotating it a quarter turn and put it back on and screw the knob back in place.

Your power supply system should be first class on the 2018. It is a multistage unit not the roaster battery killer of past years.

Take care to push in on the frig door until you hear it click. Found out the hard way.

The Firefly system is amazing. But push every button on every control panel. Be sure all of its features are working and have been explained.

On this topic, demand that the access panels to the Firefly system be removed and you look at each one to be certain all the equipment is screwed down and is just not a rats nest of cables.

Firefly IS the brains of you Classic and any bouncing around or flexing of cables is very bad juju. You also need to know where the fuse panel is. It is a very informative panel and system.

Purchase either an exterior or have installed now a power filter system between you and shore power. The systems on board do not tolarate spikes, multi cycle drop outs of brown outs. The $300 bucks is cheap insurance.

Finally, demand that each tire and wheel be removed and the brake drum removed and the innards check to assure the assembly is properly fitted and adjusted. After reassembly require that the lugs are tightened to Dexter specifications! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Do not take the dealership's word for anything regarding this step. Please.

Spend the night in your new beauty before leaving the dealership, after all these checks and adjustments are made. Then the next morning, give the dealer his money and get ready for years of trouble free enjoyment aboard the Star Ship Classic 2018!!

Don't ask how I know these things. For those who blindly take the word of the dealership on these issue, just take a powder. I have been thru hell with Roscoe. Multiple system failures on everything mentioned above including tire and wheel separation causing the removal and replacement of the starboard side of the vehicle. Not a tire blowing, the failure of the entire hub. And all of this in the first 9 days of ownership. Our Classic spent two and one half months in rehab at Jackson Center. We just now took him camping and I don't want what happen to us to happen to anyone else.

Jackson Center was and has been outstanding making us whole!!! Just a little more attention to the details and the issues we had will be history for all Airstream owners. Like Wally said " Don't make changes, make improvements". JCO is living up to that standard, now just get all the dealers on board. Most already are.

Many happy trails.

ENGAGE!!

Is set
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Bud, you are correct. Back in December and all of January and on and on until just recently I was not a happy camper at all. Actually I was pretty frickin' p%#sed off. $100,000+ is a big chunk of change to dole out, at least to me and the darn thing just wasn't working. But thanks to you, James, and this forum I got things worked out.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
Tony, I love the idea of the never rot subfloor.
I wonder if Airstream might offer it is a factory installed upgrade?
UPGRADE!? Don't you think for the $100,000+ price tag for what Thor wants you to percieve is the highest quality trailer in existance; shouldn't Coosa be standard equipment?

Some have said that Jackson Center wouldn't use Coosa as they would need to do testing and all that..........B.S Jackson center doesn't want to make a trailer with no planned obsolescence.

Coosa is lighter and stronger than the flooring material Thor is using and machines just like plywood....even better IMHO.

If I were spending that kind of dough on a trailer, I'd insist on a Coosa sub-floor; and while they're at it, they can POR-15 the frame as well.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I am still waiting to be perfectly happy! And although CS at AS does talk with you, I am not getting the hand holding walk through the paces that others appear to be getting. If there is a 2018's out there with some 4th valve in the Alde that is causing problems for some, all CS reps should know that and potentially tell you that. I can't even get a service appt if I drive it to Ohio from Vermont until Thanksgiving. This is well after I have to winterize the trailer and making the fixing of the hot water problem even more complicated.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
UPGRADE!? Don't you think for the $100,000+ price tag for what Thor wants you to percieve is the highest quality trailer in existance; shouldn't Coosa be standard equipment?

Some have said that Jackson Center wouldn't use Coosa as they would need to do testing and all that..........B.S Jackson center doesn't want to make a trailer with no planned obsolescence.

Coosa is lighter and stronger than the flooring material Thor is using and machines just like plywood....even better IMHO.

If I were spending that kind of dough on a trailer, I'd insist on a Coosa sub-floor; and while they're at it, they can POR-15 the frame as well.

Cheers
Tony

Tony,
I was not aware of its existence until you mentioned Coosa. I completely agree it should be included in the trailer as standard. The frame should be sealed with spay on bed liner or a similar encapsulating product that prevents the frame from ever rusting.
I tend to believe if they produced a product that lasted 25 years that they would take over the market.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Thanks for the encouragement and feedback, especially the detailed instructions on things to look for and ask about that some of you have offered. It's much appreciated, and I will try to follow through on those. From what I've read, in one respect I'm lucky in that my dealer is less than 1 hour (not several states) away and has a good service reputation based on our previous interactions with them. I'd rather not have to test that out with the new trailer but we'll see how it goes.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you go with some sort of magic material for the floor, be sure to do all the detailed engineering on that material. Anything that has a different weight than plywood needs a full weight and balance check. Anything that has a different damping / Q than plywood also needs a full check. If you want further info, dig into the things the European manufacturers are having to do when they change. Also if you go with something, be sure to use the affiliate link ....

If you decide to pull the wheels and brakes just before taking off, make sure you have a torque wrench with you. Be prepared to pull over at points the manual recommends to re-tighten all the bolts. You *could* also go with the fact that 99.999% of all the brakes are fine as they come from the factory. There's at least a 0.001% change of the dealer or you mucking something up pulling all the wheels ....

Bob
Old 09-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
Mikeinca,
We had/have a positive experience with our classic picked up in June-see a thread dated 7/9/17 i posted. (I don't know how to link to earlier threads.) Our success was no doubt in part due to the work of all the frequent posters on this site.

Congratulations on your incoming AS.
Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus View Post
Mikeinca,
We had/have a positive experience with our classic picked up in June-see a thread dated 7/9/17 i posted. (I don't know how to link to earlier threads.) Our success was no doubt in part due to the work of all the frequent posters on this site.

Congratulations on your incoming AS.
Thanks, Paratus. I found your thread and read through it. It was good to hear of your positive experiences!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #18
Classy Roscoe

Hey there Big Bob,

Don't mean to be a pest, but I did not specify that every time you get ready to travel pull the hubs. That would be a fools errand.

What I am saying is that it has been reported that in the last 18 or so months 19 complete failures of Dexter hubs have caused extensive damage to trailers, not all Airstream but many Thor products. (Source master RV repair facilities in the southwest). The issue is documented and being investigated by the manufacture.

As far as your 99.999% success rate, it is as ridiculous as pulling the hubs every time you take a trip.

If I misunderstood your post I stand corrected, go in peace an I will sin no more.

But, until you have a tire and wheel leave you and cause extensive damage to your brand new $150,000 dollar trailer then I suggest a great deal more caution accepting a brand new vehicle, particulary in my case having extensive defective or misadjusted major equipment failures with in the first 10 days of ownership.

My post during the lifetime of this thread was and is to point out to a new owner to be vigilant and require the dealership to prove all systems and running gear not have a defects that could have caused death in my situation to myself or someone else on the highway. To suggest otherwise is misguided and I take exception to it.

In my life time I have driven all types of trailers with all types of loads over these United Srates well over one million miles and have only lost hubs due to poor maintainable equipment by others hands. Usually equipment trailers with tens of thousand of loaded miles. But to have this on a brand new 8000 pound vehicle! That is defective assembly or foundry issues in manufacturing.

Rest assured that this "fool on an errand" is going to demand that the hubs with "Never Lub" bearing sets are pulled and internals verified correctly in place. I don't want one of my 16 inch tires and wheels meeting you in the windshield as I pass by.

Have a wonderful day.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
Hey there Big Bob,

Don't mean to be a pest, but I did not specify that every time you get ready to travel pull the hubs. That would be a fools errand.

What I am saying is that it has been reported that in the last 18 or so months 19 complete failures of Dexter hubs have caused extensive damage to trailers, not all Airstream but many Thor products. (Source master RV repair facilities in the southwest). The issue is documented and being investigated by the manufacture.

As far as your 99.999% success rate, it is as ridiculous as pulling the hubs every time you take a trip.

If I misunderstood your post I stand corrected, go in peace an I will sin no more.

But, until you have a tire and wheel leave you and cause extensive damage to your brand new $150,000 dollar trailer then I suggest a great deal more caution accepting a brand new vehicle, particulary in my case having extensive defective or misadjusted major equipment failures with in the first 10 days of ownership.

My post during the lifetime of this thread was and is to point out to a new owner to be vigilant and require the dealership to prove all systems and running gear not have a defects that could have caused death in my situation to myself or someone else on the highway. To suggest otherwise is misguided and I take exception to it.

In my life time I have driven all types of trailers with all types of loads over these United Srates well over one million miles and have only lost hubs due to poor maintainable equipment by others hands. Usually equipment trailers with tens of thousand of loaded miles. But to have this on a brand new 8000 pound vehicle! That is defective assembly or foundry issues in manufacturing.

Rest assured that this "fool on an errand" is going to demand that the hubs with "Never Lub" bearing sets are pulled and internals verified correctly in place. I don't want one of my 16 inch tires and wheels meeting you in the windshield as I pass by.

Have a wonderful day.
Hi

My main point was simply that if you pull the hubs at any time (once at the dealer ... whatever) you need to re-torque all the lug nuts at the recommended interval after that. Pulling over to play with the torque wrench 10 miles from the dealer's lot may or may not be a lot of fun. It's also something that most new owners are not going to be aware of needing to do.

Given the skill level at most dealers, I do indeed believe that there is a finite risk in any process they perform. That does need to be weighted against the benefit ....

Bob
Old 09-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
I am not going to even delve in the hubs here.... This is an area I had no knowledge of. Oh boy.
I wish you luck on your new 2018. I too had hoped I would be one of the lucky ones. When I ordered mine the thought was I was ordering essentially the 2017 with those bugs worked out. Fortunately those bugs (through all of the hard work of Forum members, owners, and eventually dealers) have been worked out but new designs in the 2018 have created new bugs. Predominately the Firefly and ALDE integration. Much of the other items on my list have been addressed. However there is still no fix for that.

I had awesome hot water for showering but no radiant heat. Others had the reverse. The trailer has spent most of the time I have owned it at the shop. Now having it back for a week with no fix available for the Firefly control unit I no longer have hot water for my shower either. Argggghhh. It will be good to get yours in cold weather as it was dead summer when I picked mine up and we did not properly test the heat. May I suggest you ask that either the ALDE control panel be located where it is in the 2017's (next to the Firefly panel, not under the sink) or that they not sell you a unit until the software has been worked out so that the Firefly and ALDE performs as they should.

Also, buy a tube of adhesive immediately for all of the things that fall off during everyday use. If I wasn't a full timer none of this would be a big deal to me at all.

I'm taking "Poppy" on her first onsite event this Friday for a week of work. This will be our first working gig in the new lifestyle and I'm rather excited. We missed a lunar eclipse festival in Oregon (I do festival/concert/large scale public events logistics) because Poppy was in the shop. It ended up being an absolute zoo so maybe it was a good thing. No parental house for warm showers though. Hmmm, maybe a pot of warm water in the shower old fashioned style. Dip my toes in while I'm showering with room temp water so I think it's warm!
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote