Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Auto dealers don't pay the same rate for warranty work.

Ok, maybe I’m delusional. But for over 30 years in the retail automobile business as a General Manager and owner, our stores were paid the same labor rate for warranty work as our retail, customer pay labor rate. Although I’m not exactly clear on your comment but most dealers I know “pay” their technicians the same hourly rate for a warranty labor hour or a customer pay labor hour. There’s about a 30,000 technician shortage in the good old USA. If dealers changed labor pay rates based on warranty vs. retail technicians would walk out and be working at another store in less than 24 hours and every owner knows it.
The last 9 years of my career I was the VP of Operations for a large, multi-store Harley-Davidson Dealer Group. Harley-Davidson also paid retail labor rates for warranty work and our technician’s pay was the same per hour regardless of the type of work they were performing.
Just the facts Friday just the facts.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, we have an 8 week old tech strike in progress right now.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:03 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
Ok, maybe I’m delusional. But for over 30 years in the retail automobile business as a General Manager and owner, our stores were paid the same labor rate for warranty work as our retail, customer pay labor rate. Although I’m not exactly clear on your comment but most dealers I know “pay” their technicians the same hourly rate for a warranty labor hour or a customer pay labor hour. There’s about a 30,000 technician shortage in the good old USA. If dealers changed labor pay rates based on warranty vs. retail technicians would walk out and be working at another store in less than 24 hours and every owner knows it.
The last 9 years of my career I was the VP of Operations for a large, multi-store Harley-Davidson Dealer Group. Harley-Davidson also paid retail labor rates for warranty work and our technician’s pay was the same per hour regardless of the type of work they were performing.
Just the facts Friday just the facts.

Right now in the US there are at last report 6 Million unfilled jobs, most of these are "trades or technical jobs". Plumbers, electricians, etc. Most high schools in our area have closed down classes and departments like shop and auto mechanics. Then combined with the mind set that "everyone deserves and must go to college" and we are in this shortage.

What will be interesting is in a couple of months the clean up of Houston, Florida and the Islands will be pretty much over and the reconstruction will begin, but there will not be enough trades people to get the jobs done. I hope I am wrong, but based on what I've seen I don't think so.

Then carry this people shortage to manufacturing. The folks who work on the lines at many manufacturing facilities are not skilled trades people, then add to the requirements that they pass drug screening and as a plant manager you are down to a scant few people left to assemble your companies products.

This present and coming nightmare has been building for a decade or longer and as I posted I think it's going to hit the fan with these recent storms. Say for instance a young person at Airstream makes $12-$15 and hour, plus benefits (I do NOT know what they make). Then a contractor in Houston needs laborers, does not have any, offers $20.00, plus housing in mobile homes, plus benefits. The young people move away and a new shortage occurs at factories nationwide. Prior to my retirement we used to have meetings discussing this very subject at length and we needed 1,800 people a shift, two shifts a day.

So, glad I was able to bag it and not be faced with what I believe is coming. Wait to you buy a product not made by robots in a year or so, I bet the quality will be even more of an issue.

My Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #44
Classy Roscoe

I would like to clear up a misstatement made back in post #39 of this thread.
I am NOT and have NOT made the suggestion that the dealership show the buyer the working of each brake

What I am saying is that in pre-delivery inspection the dealership remove the tire
And the hub and verify the internals on the brake system has all the parts, springs and most importantly the hold down spring and blue hold down washer is in place.

In our case this hold down washer was apparently not in place and caused the brake assymbly to malfunction and tear a rip in one of the longest panels on an Airstream Classic.

All the furniture had to be removed from the trailer, a new panel bucked into place and the entire interior of the trailer replaced on one side.

This because a 25 cent retainer was not in place correctly.

Now is it worth it for the company (factory and dealership) to miss this simple inspection just so we are not mean to those entities?

I for one will never miss that inspection point, Bob.

This all I am saying. All these missed items just to shove a trailer out the door has to hit the bottom line of the companies. I am saying that a little care and examination will pay big dividends by not having to replace and rebuild at dealer and factory cost.

Safe travels all
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Actually, it varies by state. Some are at retail rate and some are less. Regardless, warranty work is profitable with a well trained tech force. The warranty labor time guide is often where the rub comes into play.
Bottom line: warranty work sucks for the tech. I'm not going to make dealerships or brand (which I don't own) but that's the fact. They get in the $20s an hour, and $14 for warranty.

Good thing I don't work as a tech. I'd walk if anyone even proposed it to me, after I stopped laughing.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
I would like to clear up a misstatement made back in post #39 of this thread.
I am NOT and have NOT made the suggestion that the dealership show the buyer the working of each brake

What I am saying is that in pre-delivery inspection the dealership remove the tire
And the hub and verify the internals on the brake system has all the parts, springs and most importantly the hold down spring and blue hold down washer is in place.

In our case this hold down washer was apparently not in place and caused the brake assymbly to malfunction and tear a rip in one of the longest panels on an Airstream Classic.

All the furniture had to be removed from the trailer, a new panel bucked into place and the entire interior of the trailer replaced on one side.

This because a 25 cent retainer was not in place correctly.

Now is it worth it for the company (factory and dealership) to miss this simple inspection just so we are not mean to those entities?

I for one will never miss that inspection point, Bob.

This all I am saying. All these missed items just to shove a trailer out the door has to hit the bottom line of the companies. I am saying that a little care and examination will pay big dividends by not having to replace and rebuild at dealer and factory cost.

Safe travels all
Jerkerville, I appreciate you sharing your experience and I take your advice seriously. Thanks.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Bottom line: warranty work sucks for the tech. I'm not going to make dealerships or brand (which I don't own) but that's the fact. They get in the $20s an hour, and $14 for warranty.

Good thing I don't work as a tech. I'd walk if anyone even proposed it to me, after I stopped laughing.
This isn't true at all, unless the tech can't make flat rate. Then he hasn't got the "billable hours", so to speak. He either is not well trained, tooled ,or has extensive diagnostic time invested. There are warranty payment allowances for unusual diagnostic time. They get the same hourly rate for booked time, regardless of whether it is customer pay or warranty.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:

I’m sorry, that’s just not true. I stated my case in a previous post. But one more time...automotive technicians and motorcycle technicians (Harley-Davidson) make the same per hour regardless whether it is retail or warranty. I know...I paid them for 39 years. Spread the manure if you must but the facts change the narrative.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #49
Classy Roscoe

mikeinca
Thank you.

Somehow I believe we all have kicked the air out of this dead horse.

But with a little care on dealership, factory and our own diligence part, you will be able to enjoy a well made, safe travel trailer that you and your family can enjoy and travel around this hemisphere and beyond with out fear of our tires passing us up on the road.

Have great fun and memories with your 2018 Classic Twin 30'. Wally is smiling at us all, knowing we want the best from what he and his folks created for us.

Safe travels!
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
I’m sorry, that’s just not true. I stated my case in a previous post. But one more time...automotive technicians and motorcycle technicians (Harley-Davidson) make the same per hour regardless whether it is retail or warranty. I know...I paid them for 39 years. Spread the manure if you must but the facts change the narrative.
OK, I'll tell the mechanic in my family he's wrong. He got paid last week, but I guess if you were the boss you know more about what he gets paid than he does. Sorry to spread manure.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
This isn't true at all, unless the tech can't make flat rate. Then he hasn't got the "billable hours", so to speak. He either is not well trained, tooled ,or has extensive diagnostic time invested. There are warranty payment allowances for unusual diagnostic time. They get the same hourly rate for booked time, regardless of whether it is customer pay or warranty.
Oh man, I'm just gonna leave this one alone. This guy has been doing heavy trucks and diesels for 15 years and is the best I know. Knows one hell of a lot more, especially about diesels, than any keyboard commando on here. But carry on.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am only speaking as one manufacturer and my personal involvement with paying warranty repair orders and establishing dealer labor rates.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I am only speaking as one manufacturer and my personal involvement with paying warranty repair orders and establishing dealer labor rates.

Ditto only two manufacturers Ford and Harley.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Oh man, I'm just gonna leave this one alone. This guy has been doing heavy trucks and diesels for 15 years and is the best I know. Knows one hell of a lot more, especially about diesels, than any keyboard commando on here. But carry on.

I’m sure there are a few dealers of some brand out there who differentiate between warranty and customer pay when they pay technicians. MY APOLOGIES, I STAND CORRECTED. Honestly didn’t know the practice from the 70’s was still alive today. I just don’t personally know any automotive dealerships that do it that way.
Plenty of stores I know looking for high quality trained diesel technicians that pay the same regardless of the type of work. Those guys are solid gold and extremely hard to find. Sounds like he could go anywhere and name his price.