Old 10-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I would fasten the upper supports for the rack to the upper vertical ribs above the body midsection attachment. That would relieve all the load being on the frame that is only supported by the rear quarter segment rivets under the lower rub rail.
That is where my last two "rear end sag" issues occurred. If you see the top of the lower rub rail separating, "ever so slightly," The separation has already begun.
guskmg

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Excellent Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I would fasten the upper supports for the rack to the upper vertical ribs above the body midsection attachment. That would relieve all the load being on the frame that is only supported by the rear quarter segment rivets under the lower rub rail...
guskmg
I built a not so elegant bike rack for my 1976 and carried two bicycles back and forth 2.5 times between NC and NM. It rested on the bumper cover hinge right where it meets the belly band. But it was suspended by nylon straps fastened to the drip edge above the window. This transferred a good deal of the weight from the rear C-channel to the monocot shell itself. We traveled more than 7,000 miles with those bicycles without any signs of frame-body separation.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
What do you do with the cushions for the dinette?

The last few trips we took, I brought the bikes in and leaned them across the front couch (Well padded with about 12 moving blankets). It was OK, but having to move them in and out every day was not fun. I do like that strap that you have to hold them in place.
I stole this idea from van conversions. Some put wheels on one end and slide bikes into the van.
The fork holders are ones they sell for mounting into pick up beds. They hold the bikes very solid. The strap is to avoid any bouncing of the board. We have some non slip carpet padding under the board which keeps it from sliding. The back cushions go under the table. The larger seat cushions go on the bed. If we stop for a quick overnight, the cushions can fit beside the bikes. We have access to everything except the table. We put an old beach towel under the bikes to capture any dirt. Takes less than 10 minutes to remove bikes and board. We went to Fruita CO and back to STL over many poor sections of roads and bikes barely moved. I have a 1X piece of wood attached to the head of the board. This slips behind the raised access panel on the one seat. It adds extra stability. So far it is the best option we have for our bikes.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Sounds like this design would accept a couple of lifting straps to shift additional weight above the windows.

As to bike rack issues, are there not bike racks sold with AS? As far as I remember AS has never indicated or responded to inquiries into any engineering work when it comes to the dynamic stability. My guess is if this was done it would be for a very limited set of conditions that might not be very useful and likely be misquoted to infinity.

All of the modifications we do is on us, from putting solar cells on the roof, to changing wheel sizes, to how the trailer is loaded with our gear. Towing is a science, and if I may say, I believe folks here do take it very seriously.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Penland , North Carolina
Quote:
While there is only about $200 in aluminum, fittings, and hardware, the tube bender and die was ~$500.
Nicely done!
Can you elaborate on the fittings and other hardware you used? I'd like to modify my Fiamma rack to mount the telescoping antenna pole for my Weboost RV65 and that info might be helpful.
Thanks,
John
dumbclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbclub View Post
Nicely done!
Can you elaborate on the fittings and other hardware you used? I'd like to modify my Fiamma rack to mount the telescoping antenna pole for my Weboost RV65 and that info might be helpful.
Thanks,
John
The fittings are "Kee". I picked them up at Lowe's Hardware. They are typically used for handrails, parkour furniture, etc...

I question whether they would work on the Fiamma rack though. There is a Stainless Steel setscrew that partially crushes and/or bites into the pipe and I'm not sure the Fiamma tubing could handle that. They are designed for schedule 40 pipe. Certainly, the telescoping pole would have an issue with that.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #27
2020 Classic 33 on order

Box Elder , South Dakota
"In the Airstream 30, and all shorter Airstreams to a lesser extent, the rear bumper hangs, more or less, on the monocot shell and is not designed to support additional weight."

The bumper on my 2020 Classic 33 is attached to the frame. I think it was the same on the previous Classic 30 I had. I think this is true for any of the trailers that have the storage compartment between the shell and the bumper.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #28
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
You are right about the construction. From bottom up the frame attaches to the "C" channel and the channel attaches to the rear quarter segments and that is it. So any additional load, if enough, wil pull the bucked or Olympic rivets (as used in a repair) thru the skin in a downward direction. Even when extra gussets are used they can also pullout. If you have a cargo door the bottom of the door frame plus down and separates from the rest of the door frame pulling the cargo door with it. Not a pretty sight!
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Using/adding any bike carrier other than the Airstream-recommended Fiamma rack is asking for trouble down the road IMO.

As someone said, plenty of threads/posts on this.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- Sorry, I meant to add these AirForums search results before, but missed the edit time window:

FYI -- FEI -- FWIW -- not looking for a debate or argument:

"rear hitch" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...com&gws_rd=ssl
"rear bike carrier" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...=airforums.com
"rear hitch receiver" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...=airforums.com

This Quebec Rollover thread in particular is a good general read regarding sway issues IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ec-153984.html

From Post #99:

Granted the box on the back of this AS was an extreme example of distance behind the rear axle, plus probably excessive weight.

This Out of Control Sway thread is also a good read IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html

Happy Trails,

Peter

FYI -- FEI -- FWIW
Old 10-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS -- Sorry, I meant to add these AirForums search results before, but missed the edit time window:

FYI -- FEI -- FWIW -- not looking for a debate or argument:

"rear hitch" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...com&gws_rd=ssl
"rear bike carrier" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...=airforums.com
"rear hitch receiver" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...=airforums.com

This Quebec Rollover thread in particular is a good general read regarding sway issues IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ec-153984.html

From Post #99:

Granted the box on the back of this AS was an extreme example of distance behind the rear axle, plus probably excessive weight.

This Out of Control Sway thread is also a good read IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html

Happy Trails,

Peter

FYI -- FEI -- FWIW
Not arguing, but making a point about posts like this.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned classic Facebook armchair engineers.

Google searches 1 and 3 are irrelevant to the discussion because I do not have a rear hitch or receiver mounted. The trailer has not been modified.

Google search 2 shows plenty of happy customers with the Fiamma bike rack which mine emulates - just with more structural integrity.

The Quebec rollover has nothing to do with me. I'm not even close to it. The loading on that was considerably exaggerated and again, has nothing to do with this bike rack. Not even close.

The sway thread is also moot. I do not have sway issues. Even with the bikes loaded and traveling 65mph, I do not have sway issues. I didn't even have sway issues before I put a PP hitch on, it just has some features that I needed and the anti-sway is a bonus. (further distance between TV & AS so the topper door & drawers will open - adjustable jacks for WD rather than chain links, etc...)

When you pull the thread off topic and throw fearmongering things like that in there, you add to the Facebook mentality. The bottom line is that the Fiamma is an Airstream approved bike rack and mine closely emulates it.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I would fasten the upper supports for the rack to the upper vertical ribs above the body midsection attachment. That would relieve all the load being on the frame that is only supported by the rear quarter segment rivets under the lower rub rail.
That is where my last two "rear end sag" issues occurred. If you see the top of the lower rub rail separating, "ever so slightly," The separation has already begun.
guskmg
In looking at it today, I noticed a "ledge" of sorts above the window that the rear opeing windown hangs off of. I may consider a couple of straps on either side like these to add even more weight distribution to the body:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...urt/18050.html
Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #33
2020 Classic 33 on order

Box Elder , South Dakota
Best quote on the Quebec thread "Let the unsupported speculation begin."
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

FEI -- For Everyone's Information.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

FEI -- For Everyone's Information.

yes, I understand that - but still irrelevant to the specific bike carrier being discussed.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
SF Greater Bay Area , California
I made something similar to this set up. I got the idea from a Utuber call “The Fit RV” I think. He called it a “Bike gurney”. Made from a two foot by four foot piece of cabinet grade finished plywood, a couple of pipe tee fittings and all-thread with a few wing nuts. Staggered the bikes for a closest fit, I also screwed down four grab handles to slide it in the back of my 2005 Yukon XL. Keeps the bikes out of sight from crackheads, out of the weather, can be slid in and out of the back of the Yukon with two people easy, or mount the bikes by myself with the gurney halfway in the back of the Yukon. Puts the 100# ish of weight in the back of the tow vehicle (Sorry no pic, i’m At work now)👀

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Home made bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riveteers View Post
I made something similar to this set up. I got the idea from a Utuber call “The Fit RV” I think. He called it a “Bike gurney”. Made from a two foot by four foot piece of cabinet grade finished plywood, a couple of pipe tee fittings and all-thread with a few wing nuts. Staggered the bikes for a closest fit, I also screwed down four grab handles to slide it in the back of my 2005 Yukon XL. Keeps the bikes out of sight from crackheads, out of the weather, can be slid in and out of the back of the Yukon with two people easy, or mount the bikes by myself with the gurney halfway in the back of the Yukon. Puts the 100# ish of weight in the back of the tow vehicle (Sorry no pic, i’m At work now)👀
Do the bikes fit in the back of the Yukon will the rear wheel on? Our mountain bikes don't fit our Jeep unless they lean at a 45° angle or we take both wheels off.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Yeah, OK. heavily inspired by the Fiamma bike rack.

This one is for carrying two Pedego Platinum Interceptor bikes (56 lbs each).

It's made out of .125" wall tubing (1.25" diameter) and will easily handle both bikes. I had my daughter bouncing on it to test the weight handling of it. Will be taking it on a 2000 mile trip here pretty soon and will report how it does.

It's VERY sturdy.
Given the Fiamma carrier's max carrying capacity of 75 pounds, your seemingly higher capacity version could be a reasonable solution for the mega heavy electric Pedego and RAD Power bikes that are popular with 'senior' Airstreamers, many of whom are towing 30 footers.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Given the Fiamma carrier's max carrying capacity of 75 pounds, your seemingly higher capacity version could be a reasonable solution for the mega heavy electric Pedego and RAD Power bikes that are popular with 'senior' Airstreamers, many of whom are towing 30 footers.
We just finished the first leg of our journey and there are a few changes I need to make on the rack, but overall, it performed well. the basic frame of the rack was rock solid. the heavier Pedagos caused the tray to sag a bit, but I was going to replace that anyway since the first one was crooked.

We had some really rough road to cover and it survived rather well. Even had a semi deliberately run us off the road at 60 mph (will post video from the dash cam of that when I get time). I watched the bikes in the rear camera and they handled it really well.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
SF Greater Bay Area , California
Yes they fit with the rear wheel on. I have the Yukon XL . I do have to take the third row seat out to get them in straight though. ☺️

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote