Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
You mention "Pest Block Foam" is this what you were talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Foam-Se...gateway&sr=8-5
Here is one of the best reviews and reviewer for this product!

Doesn't really block anything but bugs in my experience. Only slows down other pests who are able to dig, push, or rip through it. Trust me on this... You're going to need steel wool or some other metal mesh where they're getting in and then spray the foam over it.... that's if you want to block anything mammalian. If you can rip the foam easily barehanded just picture what a burrowing animals claws can do. Now realize they were probably born in / around the place you're trying to exclude them from... They believe your home, barn, or garage is actually their residence and you're just the giant loud predator who shows up making noise occassionally and then leaves. You think if they avoid cats, hawks, owls, and foxes they care you and your foam are standing there pantsless at 6am? If you're reading this I know you're wondering if there is some sort of cheap way out of this situation... maybe even sans pesticides... I've yet to find it. This is product should be used like you'd use a shower curtain to keep water off the floor... it will discourage pests and it will create less avenues for them to escape to while you're banging on a lobster pot, in your underwear, on Sunday night hoping to drive them out.

The great war on uninvited and unwanted intruders requires cunning, skill, and more than just foam no matter how many layers you apply. I could write a book, maybe a script... I'm looking for an executive producer Amazon. You have my info... call me.

Oh My!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Holes in the floor of my 2019 Classic 33

Yup. Copper mesh or the fiberglass and stainless steel fiber batts are the best to keep out mice. Foam will stop insects.

Consider that the belly pan area needs ventilation to stay dry. Don’t make it airtight. All else fails, install some form of air vents that critters can’t get through after you seal the big openings.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #43
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
You mention "Pest Block Foam" is this what you were talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Foam-Se...gateway&sr=8-5

Yes, that’s the stuff.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
I found the 3/4" gap in the underside that I could see from the holes. I used some angle aluminum stock I had with caulking and got it sealed up.

I also checked the entire underside and found a few other spots. Strangely, the metal sheet that covers the entire bottom of the trailer wasn't fastened along several perimeter stretches of 4+ feet at a time. It sagged 1/2" in those places. Other areas have either rivets or self tapping bolts fastening the sheet to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_100922.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	347084   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_101400.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	347085  

The Naker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #45
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naker View Post
I found the 3/4" gap in the underside that I could see from the holes. I used some angle aluminum stock I had with caulking and got it sealed up.

I also checked the entire underside and found a few other spots. Strangely, the metal sheet that covers the entire bottom of the trailer wasn't fastened along several perimeter stretches of 4+ feet at a time. It sagged 1/2" in those places. Other areas have either rivets or self tapping bolts fastening the sheet to the frame.
The huge gaps of unfastened material under the belly are not just strange - they sound unacceptable. This merits a long serious chat with Airstream customer service and your dealer.

Keep looking. My instincts tell me that with this unit there's a good chance you'll find other "interesting" issues and it would be helpful to find as many as possible long before the warranty expires. For starters, within the first six months, schedule a visit to your dealer to have them inspect all the seals between all your aluminum sheets to ensure there aren't any leaks, and to repair under warranty any suspect joints they may find.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #46
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
I found the 3/4" gap in the underside that I could see from the holes.
That just seems like something was not right. Would love to see a pic from another Classic 33 owner showing what that area looks like.

Meanwhile, nice fix.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I didn't have time to pull the panel in the inside but I will get that done tomorrow. I got on a creeper and check the entire underneath and found zero issues that weren't already sealed with some black foam. What I did find in my city water hook area is the pic below that would allow mice into the underbelly of the AS. I do question the rivet spacing but that because I was aircraft tech inspector for 16 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	347086  
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:

Very good job in sealing that up. What are the other areas that I have arrows on? Where does that upper area go?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holes_in_the_floor_of_my_2019_Classic_33_-_Page_4_-_Airstream_Forums.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	347087  

Tom & Doty
Old 07-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Holes covered up

That reminds me of the holes I found when I removed my dinette bench.
Airstream when I contacted them would not even send me a new sheet of laminate to reapply on wall.
If I was Airstream I would fix problem fast, I would like to believe the work force there cares about there jobs and have pride in there work, but left unchecked can be these type of issues.
All problems start in one location.Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190102_101053_LI.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	347090
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
That reminds me of the holes I found when I removed my dinette bench.
Airstream when I contacted them would not even send me a new sheet of laminate to reapply on wall.
If I was Airstream I would fix problem fast, I would like to believe the work force there cares about there jobs and have pride in there work, but left unchecked can be these type of issues.
All problems start in one location.Attachment 347090
That square hole looks like the cutout used to run the large expandable tubes for the furnace on a 27'-28'. The furnace was further up in your picture toward the front. Duct hose ran to under wardrobe where there was a vent.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
After reading the dozens of posts here about these issues with holes and gaps on AS it makes me sick to my stomach. I think it is appalling that they can not solve this simple issue after building these things for decades! Absolutely ridiculous. And for the price they want, this issue should NEVER happen. So sad.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsementi View Post
After reading the dozens of posts here about these issues with holes and gaps on AS it makes me sick to my stomach. I think it is appalling that they can not solve this simple issue after building these things for decades! Absolutely ridiculous. And for the price they want, this issue should NEVER happen. So sad.
Wow! Sick to your stomach? And you don't even own an AS? You must be a very sensitive person, or a drama queen.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:27 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Plug the holes and go on with your lives. These things are what they are. If you spent your money without doing research, well!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
You need to go over to IRV2 and check out the Provost forum that cost north of 2 million dollars and read all the problems they are having with brand new coaches. I have own Montana, Cougar, Solitude and Fleetwood Class A and so far I had fewer complaints/problems about the AS then any of the others. My entire reason I purchased a AS is less things to go wrong include slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsementi View Post
and
Old 07-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I think what kind of "shocked" me was seeing the grass through the floor.

Recently we've seen awning controllers that obviously were being diagnosed but left lying on the floor under a cabinet with a screwdriver next to the two controllers. Awning fails. My battery disconnect switch on the door panel with no function at all. Subwoofer and Alde systems with no attempt to set them correctly for the customer or even have them functioning at all. Wires buried in walls and not reaching their destination.

Very obvious things. Easily fixable things.

I'm not going to go into the quality control rant now, as I like the Airstream product. I also know that everything here will be repaired with no questions by the factory guys. I just would like to see my favorite RV company pay attention to the details. Is anyone at Airstream looking or checking their work?

So far we are.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I got around to pulling off the cover under the TV and found the same thing. You can see light from the outside water outlet from the picture I posted above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2078 (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	347172  
and
Old 07-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Oh My!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holes in my floor.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	347176  

Tom & Doty
Old 07-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Hahaha!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Wow! Sick to your stomach? And you don't even own an AS? You must be a very sensitive person, or a drama queen.
I guess you didn’t read my first post I made,
Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
Quote:
You need to go over to IRV2 and check out the Provost forum that cost north of 2 million dollars and read all the problems they are having with brand new coaches. I have own Montana, Cougar, Solitude and Fleetwood Class A and so far I had fewer complaints/problems about the AS then any of the others. My entire reason I purchased a AS is less things to go wrong include slides.
That’s not good reasoning to buy and AS.